Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 2:15:35 AM EDT
Thought I would post this one, one of the greatest historical "what the fuck!?"s in military history: the battle of Itter Castle.  16 American tankers (with 1 tank), 11 German Wehrmacht, 1 Waffen SS officer, French political prisoners (and their wives and mistresses), and some unnamed concentration camp prisoners vs. the 17th Waffen SS Panzer Grenadiers, who brought some artillery.  The Americans and Germans beat the Germans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:34:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard about this before and I find it fascinating.  I want this made into a movie.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have heard about this before and I find it fascinating.  I want this made into a movie.
View Quote
So do I, the story was practically made for the movies.

The idea has been raised before: http://www.thedailybeast.com/world-war-iis-strangest-battle-when-americans-and-germans-fought-together

How this has never been made into a movie is a mystery to me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a book out about it.  It was kind of slow but interesting.  I agree this would make a good movie.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
They're making a movie:

http://brycezabel.com/

Same name as the book. The Last Battle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Huh, interdasting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They're making a movie:

View Quote
From their website it sounds like they don't actually produce movies they just acquire the rights and squat on them until an actual movie maker pays them off.  In other words it will never be made unless someone pays a scalpers price for the rights from the squatter.  Basically they neck bearded it.

I have heard of these kinds of companies as one of the reasons Hollywood no longer makes good movies, the studios can't get any good scripts without paying a ridiculous amount for them and they are unwilling to take the risk.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Sabaton has a song for that. 

Sabaton - The Last Battle (Lyrics)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

From their website it sounds like they don't actually produce movies they just acquire the rights and squat on them until an actual movie maker pays them off.  In other words it will never be made unless someone pays a scalpers price for the rights from the squatter.  Basically they neck bearded it.

I have heard of these kinds of companies as one of the reasons Hollywood no longer makes good movies, the studios can't get any good scripts without paying a ridiculous amount for them and they are unwilling to take the risk.
View Quote
I'm not getting that. It sounds like they have two movies in early production, a UFO one and The Last Battle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not getting that. It sounds like they have two movies in early production, a UFO one and The Last Battle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stellar Productions is a Los Angeles, California production company, that specializes in finding and developing key underlying rights for film and TV packages.
Sounds like the rights they are after.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
For the day crew.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Being this is GD I was half expecting to see a thread about US and German troops banding together to fight Martians or some sort of crap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
For a later read
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
OST
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Since it is an historical event, it seems that any studio could write its own script and go with it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait until Hitler finds out about it!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow

I spent a week in Innsbruck a few years back and never heard of this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Read the book, very interesting battle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine was a tanker in the 37th tank battalion, 4th armored division.
He was in task force Baum, the failed raid to liberate Patton's son in law from a prison camp in March 1945.
He was captured by the Germans and sent to a pow camp.
Before the camp was overrun by the allies, a force of German SS tried to kill the prisoners. The regular German army troops battled the SS to protect the prisoners.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They're making a movie:

View Quote
Wish Christopher Nolen jumped on it
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I raised pigs with an old german man named Manfred, many years ago.  He was a German tanker, fought the Russians in Russia and maybe Poland.  At night the temps would drop low enough that the tanks diesel would gel.  The two sides would fight towards the nearest town and call a truce every evening when the sun went down.  At that point both sides would head to the towns pub and drink all night with each other.  After the temps would rise, mid morning, the battles would resume.  A different time for sure.

Perry
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wait until Hitler finds out about it!
View Quote
Uh AH was Kaput!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Just put a hold on the book at the library.
Needed something new to read.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're making a movie:

It's a historical event.  Hollywood  is lazy.  A studio could easily hire a writer and develop a script without infringing on anything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#24]
And don't forget the Italian tennis star who played courier.  Itter was a hell of an interesting battle.  Besotten Jenny holding the gates, Gangl was a hell of an interesting story, etc.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Sabaton-The Last Battle (Lyrics) (Music Video)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Never knew about this. That's really interesting, I may pick the book up now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I swear, if I hit Powerball, I'll bankroll the movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top