Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2017 2:07:43 PM EDT
Thinking about ordering a new one, if you have one what is your thoughts?

Did the test drive in the Transit, seems like a toy compared to the Sprinter, cheap and rattles. Sales person told me to turn up the radio, WTF.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2016-Mercedes-Benz-SPRINTER-ERA-4X4-122690367

Can I borrow once a year to chill in the keys for a week?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
We had one as a work truck for about 6 years and absolutely beat the shit out of it. It is marginal as a tow vehicle, but other than that it's good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here you go:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2016-Mercedes-Benz-SPRINTER-ERA-4X4-122690367

Can I borrow once a year to chill in the keys for a week?
View Quote
Bad ass, four wheel drive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at Truecar and the like, they don't seem to be as expensive as you'd think, even with the 4x4 option.  

Any idea what the bottom tier 4x4 would cost New?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending what you want to use it for, the nv kicks ass
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
They're nice, I seem to remember my buddy that owns a BMW/Mercedes shop worked on more than a few transmission issues with the Sprinter, but maybe that was the early generations. I do know that he's got one he's converting into a bike hauler/camper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
When it breaks down you're going to be in for a real treat on finding a repair facility. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When it breaks down you're going to be in for a real treat on finding a repair facility. 
View Quote
Spill the beans.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Was in one last weekend. Inside was done up like a private jet - seriously was amazing
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
DEF System in the diesels is shit and expensive
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Could you explain your statement
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's right, but if you're looking for a newer diesel truck, guess what? You have no choice but to run it, and maybe then try to find a delete....which might or might not work.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#14]
diesel exhaust fluid system for reducing engine emission by injecting urea into the exhaust system are prone to failure.
When they fail the van will only start so many times till it is fixed and its usually pretty expensive
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He's right, but if you're looking for a newer diesel truck, guess what? You have no choice but to run it, and maybe then try to find a delete....which might or might not work.
View Quote
And if he deletes it he will void the warranty on a new vehicle
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Apparently they love to rust, especially if you live where they use road salt.

That and expensive repairs are the two biggest complaints I see about them. One of the trade forums I am on has an ongoing van discussion and those are the biggest problems. People seem to love them right up until they get terminal rust or break down. Worked with a guy that had a high roof diesel one, he absolutely loved his.

As for me, I have kicked around the idea of getting a Metris (the small Benz van) to replace my truck. I don't need or want a fullsize. My concerns is they are pretty pricey and for some reason haven't caught on here, seldom see them on the road.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Apparently they love to rust, especially if you live where they use road salt.

That and expensive repairs are the two biggest complaints I see about them. One of the trade forums I am on has an ongoing van discussion and those are the biggest problems. People seem to love them right up until they get terminal rust or break down. Worked with a guy that had a high roof diesel one, he absolutely loved his.
View Quote
I believe the rust problems were pre 2011.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I've rented the Vito several times in Europe and they've been great. The American version is called the Metris.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Spill the beans.
View Quote
Not a whole lot of repair shops will work on them, especially the newer ones. The older models you could take them to Frieghtliner, and Dodge to get them worked on. Now its an entirely different game. Keep this website handy, https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/dealers/
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not a whole lot of repair shops will work on them, especially the newer ones. The older models you could take them to Frieghtliner, and Dodge to get them worked on. Now its an entirely different game. Keep this website handy, https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/dealers/
View Quote
Hotlink skills, I don't have. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you buying new, from a dealer? Just make sure they have mechanics. I went over a decade with the closest dealer mechanic two hours away.
My 2004 blew the tranny, got it replaced. Two months later the engine seized driving down the road.

You should ride around in one for a while also. the drivers seat position is different.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#22]
The fuel economy is bad for a diesel. The engine is anemic and it has to rev high for the necessary torque. Small fuel tank as well which means limited range. They are okay, but the lack of service centers for Mercedes mean $$$ for repairs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a friend who does some work for a company that owns Sprinter vans. In no particular order here are some issues . Odd sized tires, Alternator dies often due to being near the exhaust. Body parts are expensive for even a minor accident. Oil changes at shops run over $175 a pop. The upside is supposedly decent mileage.  Sme Freightliner and Dodge dealerships work on them. I would never buy one myself

Here is an article by a guy with a fleet of them https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-robertson
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The fuel economy is bad for a diesel. The engine is anemic and it has to rev high for the necessary torque. Small fuel tank as well which means limited range. They are okay, but the lack of service centers for Mercedes mean $$ for repairs.
View Quote
How high do they rev?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Depending what you want to use it for, the nv kicks ass
View Quote
Powerful (with the V8), reliable, roomy, cheap to repair - and no mechanic is afraid to work on it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a friend who does some work for a company that owns Sprinter vans. In no particular order here are some issues . Odd sized tires, Alternator dies often due to being near the exhaust. Body parts are expensive for even a minor accident. Oil changes at shops run over $175 a pop. The upside is supposedly decent mileage.  Sme Freightliner and Dodge dealerships work on them. I would never buy one myself

Here is an article by a guy with a fleet of them https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-robertson
View Quote
I know they have LT245 75R16 tires, I didn't realize that was a odd size. The oil change is done every 20K at the dealer for $146 plus tax, thats 14 qts of Mobil 1 syn with oil filter.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I went online and played around with them . I did the crew version in 4 wheel drive . It was more money at Freightliner than Mercedes.  There are a few options each offers that the other does not. It quickly got to $60,000
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I know they have LT245 75R16 tires, I didn't realize that was a odd size. The oil change is done every 20K at the dealer for $146 plus tax, thats 14 qts of Mobil 1 syn with oil filter.
View Quote
The earlier ones used a 17.5 that was expensive
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Powerful (with the V8), reliable, roomy, cheap to repair - and no mechanic is afraid to work on it.
View Quote
What kind of mileage?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is no V-8 in a Sprinter . There is a 6 cylinder diesel engine
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What kind of mileage?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of mileage?
im pretty sure thats sarcasm
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There is no V-8 in a Sprinter . There is a 6 cylinder diesel engine
View Quote
He is quoting the person who said get an nv3500 which is a nissan van thing sort of based off the titan.  With a titan v8 option engine, guess something less powerful might be available as well.

Someone had a thread a couple months ago about the nv and bought a last year model still new on the lot for a good price.  Had looked into taking it to quigley or someone for a 4x4 conversion as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Get one with 4 wheel drive.  Pay no attention to the people worrying about the DEF system.  The only one I've ever seen that had problems was one where the tool adding the fluid let the seal on the jug of DEF flow into the tank.  These systems are tried and proven.  Just don't let it run out of fluid.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I drive a 2013 high roof 170" WB 2500 for work. Been doing so for four years.

It's fully laden at 8,500 pounds and honestly has pretty good get up and go. It can hit 80 no problem. Never driven it faster due to being a company vehicle and speed limits. Now max speed we can do is lower.

Fuel mileage I got about 17.5 mpg and that's being fully laden and with me not exactly worrying about it. Most of my driving was highway though. The standard roof and wheel base model will get better mileage especially if it isn't fully laden and the driver is mindful of fuel economy.

They are very smooth on the road and quiet, pretty maneuverable for their size too.

Now bear in mind I don't pay for it to be worked on. It's a MB and as such it is expensive to work on. Parts are not cheap. Labor isn't cheap (at the dealer especially). I've seen the invoices when signing for pick up. I now have to idle all day and as a result I've had a couple issues with the DEF system. I think that was warranty, though not sure. The transmission can feel "clunky" at times, especially at lower speeds when it upshifts.

For the first three years it was trouble free. Just basic scheduled maintenance. Never a problem. Now that it's a little older and idled all day things are a little different. Personally I really like the vehicle itself, but I wouldn't own one simply due to cost to maintain it in parts and labor. Although aesthetics are just that and not exactly a big deal especially for a working vehicle, the Sprinters are the best looking of the vans. The Nissan NVs being fucking horrid.

EDIT:
As far as issues coming up now and notably with the DEF system, that's to be expected since it's idled all day now. I can't say for certain but I'd hazard a guess and say it would probably be just basic scheduled maintenance still if it wasn't idled all day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I spent a week driving one from Essen, Germany to Naples, Italy and back.
My ONLY complaint is that there wasn't enough leg room and I could never stretch my legs when driving.
I would have to stop along the way to walk around when my legs would start to cramp up, but that was a good excuse to stop and do some tourist stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#37]
had friends that bought one 3 years old for their small business.   They used it once a week to transport very light loads.   The low mileage pile of shit kept breaking down and the repair bills almost killed their business.   Alternators that lasted about a year and $1500 to replace, transmission problems, steering problems, and electronic gremlins.

They brought it to me to repair.   It was the cheapest built vehicle I've ever seen.  Volkswagen beetles were better built.    They eventually dumped it for an E350.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I was looking at them as a possible base for a camper conversion.  The 170 wheel base (long), high roof, stripped down Worker model was $40,000.  Going with the 4x4 version with the same configuration was about $50,000.  For an adventure camping rig it would be sweet.  I heard of people getting a million miles out of them. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
had friends that bought one 3 years old for their small business.   They used it once a week to transport very light loads.   The low mileage pile of shit kept breaking down and the repair bills almost killed their business.   Alternators that lasted about a year and $1500 to replace, transmission problems, steering problems, and electronic gremlins.

They brought it to me to repair.   It was the cheapest built vehicle I've ever seen.  Volkswagen beetles were better built.    They eventually dumped it for an E350.
View Quote
What year was it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What kind of mileage?
View Quote
We have the v8 and average of 14 speeding to fl and back with six kids and lots of stuff. Around town it stays between 12-14.

Towing 8k 33' travel trailer it gets like 4-6 I would guess. And that is staying like 5 over the speed limit.

It honestly towes great for a gasser.  I have diesels as well which tow awesome but it isn't bad at all.

We checked out all the large van types and with needing to tow, and six kids it works the best.

I have a prop management company as well and now use the cargo versions for that too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And if he deletes it he will void the warranty on a new vehicle
View Quote
Of course.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The fuel economy is bad for a diesel. The engine is anemic and it has to rev high for the necessary torque. Small fuel tank as well which means limited range. They are okay, but the lack of service centers for Mercedes mean $$ for repairs.
View Quote
Bullshit
My fuel economy in the city is 12L/100km lifetime.
This is at a lifetime average of 32km/hr.
So 19.6MPG city at an average of 19.9mph.
My other Sprinter driven by an employee gets 11.2L/100km because I drive fast off the line.

The fuel tank holds 93L
Both of my Sprinters have the 2.1L 4 cylinder engine which has the 7 speed transmission.
They have more than adequate torque and hp even though my vans are loaded with tools and air conditioning equipment.

Mercedes is waiting on certification of the replacement for the 2.1L 4 cylinder.
I wouldn't buy the 6 cylinder unless 4x4 is needed.
It's not that the engine has issues but it is mated to a 5 speed transmission which is always in the wrong gear.

I lease mine and get the extended warranty and the prepaid maintenance for the mileage I will be doing. My lease is 5 years but after 3 they will offer you a new van for the same monthly payment.

The 4 cylinder has a maintenance interval of 30,000 km but mine is due around 18,000km due to city use.

Freightliner still sells them new and can service them.
I've had no issues with either of mine and I will be getting Sprinters to replace these in the future.

Drive the 4 cylinder before you make any decision.
You won't regret it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Ford Transit... the mini van on a Focus Frame. 
So I was told. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ford Transit... the mini van on a Focus Frame. 
So I was told. 
View Quote
The transit is a full sized van.
The Transit Connect is the small one
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He is quoting the person who said get an nv3500 which is a nissan van thing sort of based off the titan.  With a titan v8 option engine, guess something less powerful might be available as well.
View Quote
Yes, they also offer the 4.0 V6 (same as used in the Frontier) - Which gets you closer to the Sprinter in fuel economy, roughly 80 more horsepower, better reliability, and a lower sticker price.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bullshit
My other Sprinter driven by an employee gets 11.2L/100km because I drive fast off the line.

The fuel tank holds 93L
Both of my Sprinters have the 2.1L 4 cylinder engine which has the 7 speed transmission.
They have more than adequate torque and hp even though my vans are loaded with tools and air conditioning equipment.

Mercedes is waiting on certification of the replacement for the 2.1L 4 cylinder.
It's not that the engine has issues but it is mated to a 5 speed transmission which is always in the wrong gear.

I lease mine and get the extended warranty and the prepaid maintenance for the mileage I will be doing. My lease is 5 years but after 3 they will offer you a new van for the same monthly payment.

The 4 cylinder has a maintenance interval of 30,000 km but mine is due around 18,000km due to city use.

I've had no issues with either of mine and I will be getting Sprinters to replace these in the future.

You won't regret it.
https://s30.postimg.org/a6plgy28x/IMG_6487.jpg
https://s30.postimg.org/eh49cj7c1/IMG_6488.jpg
View Quote
Damn Canadians and their metric units.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bullshit

The fuel tank holds 93L

You won't regret it.
https://s30.postimg.org/a6plgy28x/IMG_6487.jpg
https://s30.postimg.org/eh49cj7c1/IMG_6488.jpg
View Quote
We can't get the 2.1 in the US anymore.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been thinking about buying one myself. The 4x4 looks like it might be my style. Needs to sleep 4 though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#50]
I will buy a full size Transit in a couple years, I have the small transit connect I got in 2011 for my work and it was an excellent choice ad it was literally free if you count the fuel savings from driving pickups around town. Yes it is a cheap vehicle but it is actually well made and excellent to work out of as you can reach anything in back. It was the right choice at the time for the economy of my business. I want the ecoboost transit and I will get the lowest and shortest model.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top