Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2017 8:24:45 AM EDT
3...2....1..  until news stories. Why did not Trump warn us not to stare at the sun.

Man who lost some eyesight from past eclipse has a warning

http://nbc4i.com/2017/08/15/man-who-lost-some-eyesight-from-past-eclipse-has-a-warning/
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
@medicfrost must be slipping.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
People will do it and they will blame Trump.

They'll also blame him if it's cloudy in current location and they can't see shit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuck sake, the whinging and handwringing about this shit is ridiculous.  Basically everything about the eclipse in the last few days has been about how dangerous it is and how to prepare for the days of terrible gridlock and anarchy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Blame Bush!

There, I wrote that.  Can I infiltrate the libturds now?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck sake, the whinging and handwringing about this shit is ridiculous.  Basically everything about the eclipse in the last few days has been about how dangerous it is and how to prepare for the days of terrible gridlock and anarchy.
View Quote
Except that it's all true...

I'm away from home on business, but I'm getting scattered reports that Nashville is bracing for 250,000 to 1,000,000 visitors.

It's gonna be a shitshow, and I'm gonna miss it.    I live downtown... I can wander through it or escape it within moments... perfect setup.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Not buying it
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun. But, Momma, that's where the fun is.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#9]
What is hilarious to me is all the warnings going around about "Dont let your pets out during the eclipse".

Duh. Now why would they be looking at the sun then any more than any other time? The only reason humans are looking at it is because they know there is an eclipse.  Do you just stare at the sun on any other day?

To an animal, it will be just like any other day, if it is bright (and it will be even during most of the eclipse), they ain't gonna look.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I call bullshit.   Last time it came around when I was I child I looked up at it.  Not but just a second or two.   He must have stared at it while he ate buggers for quite some time.   Even back then we knew not to look directly at it or you'd go blind.   My neighbor was a Dr. And brought some X-ray film and we used it to look at the eclipse.   Who knows if that was even a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun. But, Momma, that's where the fun is.
View Quote
Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a deuce, another runner in the night!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#12]
The solar paper glasses are selling for around 35 bucks a pop here.  We are in the totality area.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am planning to have nothing to do on monday at work since everyone will be too busy staring up into the sky to bother bringing their car in to get fixed.

I am kind of hoping that it is cloudy/rainy so I can laugh at the people who planned the better part of a week of their existence around this event.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Breaking News: the Republicans/Fox News have let the greenhouse gasses erode our atmosphere to the point that the Sun's rays can now penetrate it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not buying it
View Quote
What exactly is there "not to buy?"

Are you denying that looking at the sun can burn a hole in your retina?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#16]
He lost that staring contest.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#17]
He was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Get ready for a whole new crop of "blinded by the eclipse, I'm on welfare folks"  I am looking forward to the interactions with these idiots and the fakers. The damage is real, and if you get damaged by looking at it. You are an Ignorant Slut. If you fake it, I will press your buttons and piss you off. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guffaw at your confidence of the IQ of the average drooling snuffy. The local school systems are closing down Monday for "safety" reasons. They're going to leave thousands of rug rats to their own devices.

Mark my words, one of these days...................

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He was blind the whole time.
View Quote
Actually, he was a Russian spy in the US Navy who fell in love with Sean Young.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mommaww always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun. But, Momma, that's where the fun is.
Wrong. Everyone knows it's "wrapped up like a douche". 

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#22]
We struggled between getting glasses to watch from home, traveling to see the totality, and not bothering at all.
We're not bothering, for the safety reason. I'm not risking my family's retinas on some disposable filter glasses to ooh and ahh for a couple minutes. I just can't see myself instructing my children to stare at the sun. It's too stupid.

There will be all sorts of 4k resolution video available that we can enjoy afterwards with no risk.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually, it's "She blinded me with science"
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#24]
"The big yellow one is the sun."
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Why is this eclipse such a big deal? I've never seen so much news about one before.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mommaww always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun. But, Momma, that's where the fun is.

"Revved up like a deuce......"

As in deuce coupe.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Ill be in my windowless office so I think ill be good
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#28]
It always amazes me that we have to tell people things like "don't look at the sun", or "don't use your hair dryer while sitting in the bath tub."   At least Darwin's theory is consistent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
People will do it and they will blame Trump.

They'll also blame him if it's cloudy in current location and they can't see shit.
View Quote
It's gonna be cloudy here...

I blame Trump.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I picked up an extra 1,000 rounds of 5.56 yesterday and have boarded up all my doors and window....

See you all on the other side of the Apocalypse....
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Excellent, I might have to play that during the event
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I picked up an extra 1,000 rounds of 5.56 yesterday and have boarded up all my doors and window....

See you all on the other side of the Apocalypse....
View Quote
I will probably just hide in the basement all week.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
REVVED up.  Not "wrapped up."

Okay, this thread is now about the misheard lyrics of Manfred Mann.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#34]
It's a nice looking car and all but I don't see why anybody would stare at it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
....while giving his anus a squirelly whirley.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I always thought it was "cut loose like a deuce."
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why is this eclipse such a big deal? I've never seen so much news about one before.
View Quote
How old are you?.......less than say 45?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#39]
For what it is worth, I know a guy that has had to use his left eye shooting since he was in the 7th grade due to staring at a solar eclipse-- so yes, there is something to be concerned about.

This isn't a "I know a guy who knows a guy" type of thing.  He was one of my Dad's science students in the 7th grade, and now he is one of my school board members.  I see him often.

Screw that.  I made damned sure that my kid's teacher is keeping them in, and letting them watch it live streaming on a projector (which is what we are doing with our students as well.)
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Read in Forest Gump's voice.  Lol
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Democrats vow, "Anyone blinded by Trumps solar eclipse will be given help filling out their ballots for the rest of their life."
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Idiocracy

Soon they'll close schools on rain days because little Johnny Dipdunk in Podunk, ID was starring up at the rain with his mouth open and drowned.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soon to be renamed "Manfred Personn."
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#44]
We've already experienced it here in Oregon.

http://time.com/4905851/solar-eclipse-traffic-preview-oregon/

I imagine Monday will be just as bad.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We struggled between getting glasses to watch from home, traveling to see the totality, and not bothering at all.
We're not bothering, for the safety reason. I'm not risking my family's retinas on some disposable filter glasses to ooh and ahh for a couple minutes. I just can't see myself instructing my children to stare at the sun. It's too stupid.

There will be all sorts of 4k resolution video available that we can enjoy afterwards with no risk.
View Quote
This is my plan.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Democrats vow, "Anyone blinded by Trumps solar eclipse will be given help filling out their ballots for the rest of their life ever."
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Should be listened to.

Snow blindness is bad enough if you have ever had it....and that is just reflected sunlight on snow...

Weld without eye protection....seriously dumb

Stare at the sun with false protection....unbelievably dumb.

Watch it safely on the internet in real time....

Its not like watching wildlife in the wild vs tv
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm an hour north of Atlanta in my town of residence, with totality a fact for much of this area. Was headed out this morning for a biscuit and the population seems to have doubled.

This is merely by noticing all the traffic on the roadways that is never there, coupled with all the fast food joints having 20 to 30 vehicles in the drive thus, that are never, ever busy and the out of the ordinary observation of the sheer increased number of out of town tags.

Not indicative of our little town at all.

They have arrived.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#49]
We're having a breakfast party on the deck here in Mammoth Lakes, CA.  Might do a time lapse of some nearby feature like Mammoth Rock or maybe just the house.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I think it's over blown... I stared at a partial when I was a kid maybe 34yrs ago, I had perfect vision until I was 40. Now, it was short glances, but still.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top