Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 8:04:42 PM EDT
Would like it for hunting season since my phone also holds maps(also have traditional waterproof) and am always taking photos to document my trips.

Suggestions? Small and lightweight are important.

iPhone 7 plus.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The NRA sent me one for renewing my membership. It works great as a backup battery charger but the solar feature is garbage. I think that solar in general is garbage as a portable option. You would probably be better served by carrying several fully charged backup chargers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would probably be better served by carrying several fully charged backup chargers.
View Quote
This has been my experience to date.  But, I am in this thread to see if there are some new solutions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
They make re-chargers (battery packs) that can charge a phone several times.

How many recharges do you need?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
For your application, my vote is battery-based chargers as well.

As far as solar, get a larger (14W+) one with USB output. These can run the full power into the phone rather than trickling it in.

Anker makes a pretty nice one I have an earlier model that supports some of the
faster charge technologies the phones do.

It's a lot more to carry than a small extra power pack, though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They make re-chargers (battery packs) that can charge a phone several times.

How many recharges do you need?
View Quote
Depends. Could need several. I have a portable phone sized battery to charge things but still want the ability to charge while I'm out there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
All the solar chargers I have tried take 8-10 hours of full sun to charge if not more.  They work better fully charged at home or in the car as a back up power bank. The solar feature is nice if you had no other option and hours and hours to wait.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All the solar chargers I have tried take 8-10 hours of full sun to charge if not more.  They work better fully charged at home or in the car as a back up power bank. The solar feature is nice if you had no other option and hours and hours to wait.
View Quote
4 night hunts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
It is much simpler to just get a back up charger.  They come in various sized and capacities.  

Goal Zero makes a pretty cool product line of solar charges for batteries but unless you get one large enough, and the sun is strong enough and you have it always pointed in the right direction, they are usually best used for charging a battery that can be used to charge a phone.  A lot of phones will not continuously charge from a solar panel (again, unless all is overkill) because the power will drop below the necessary level.

You can have something like this, and it will "sort of" work. It just takes a metric shit ton of solar to charge worth a damn.  Small man portable solar is for when you have no other power supply and understand how to ration the power.

Or you can have one or two of these and not have a worry.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Idea! - Masturbation charger! By capturing the energy produced from the repetitive movement and converting it into "eeeelek...triciteeee", we could have all the power!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Depends. Could need several. I have a portable phone sized battery to charge things but still want the ability to charge while I'm out there.
View Quote
Yeah unless you are going to get  a large array (more towards the commercial end)  it takes all day of strong sun to get an Iphone charge.

Solar is not the solution you seek. Again, most man portable solar systems are about "there is no other choice" and you are rationing power.

If you are talking days, here is the solution you seek.....buy a nice jump box with a USB.  You can charge your cell phone dozens of times as well as laptops and tablets. You also have a useful tool for other times.

(no recommendation for this brand, just to show one)

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah unless you are going to get  a large array (more towards the commercial end)  it takes all day of strong sun to get an Iphone charge.

Solar is not the solution you seek. Again, most man portable solar systems are about "there is no other choice" and you are rationing power.

If you are talking days, here is the solution you seek.....buy a nice jump box with a USB.  You can charge your cell phone dozens of times as well as laptops and tablets. You also have a useful tool for other times.

http://jumpstarterlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/71356lIXNZL._SL1345_.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I'm talking about hiking in several miles and camping several days. You know, real hunting.

I have one of those in my car, and chargers. Just looking to expand.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea I'm talking about hiking in several miles and camping several days. You know, real hunting.

View Quote
If you are looking to charge a phone a few times a day for 4 days, you will need more weight and a lot more room in solar panels than you will in batteries.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Not solar.

Easy to pack an use in the field. I own the Rigid version there are others.

Rigid USB Power Source

Dewalt USB Power Source

Milwaukee
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Amazon Product
  • Charge the Sherpa 50 in 2-3 hours from wall, or 4-6 hours from car, or 5-10 hours from the included Nomad 13 solar panel
  • Sample run times: laptops 1-3 hours, tablets 15 plus hours
  • Included bolt-on inverter converts Sherpa 50 into a wall plug

This one works. Hang it on the tent during the day while you're gone, charge phone from the battery pack overnight while you sleep.  Pro-tip, charge the battery pack before you leave so you're not trying to completely recharge it....

I have an older revision, but have used it camping numerous times. Not cheap, but works well.

ETA: Mine didn't come with the inverter, I later got one but have never used it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were "real hunting" your primary maps and shit wouldn't be on a smartphone. 

Solar panel

what are you using for a Camp stove?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Heck, just get something like the Anker Powerhouse. @ 120,000mAh, it can fully charge an iphone7 60+ times

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2F38U2This one works. Hang it on the tent during the day while you're gone, charge phone from the battery pack overnight while you sleep.  Pro-tip, charge the battery pack before you leave so you're not trying to completely recharge it....

I have an older revision, but have used it camping numerous times. Not cheap, but works well.

ETA: Mine didn't come with the inverter, I later got one but have never used it.
View Quote
Keep in mind, if you plan on needing the power bank throughout the day and away from the solar you are going to need at least another power bank. You can not charge the spent one up when you return....at the end of the day.   So you will have to rotate power banks.   If the sun does not cooperate, you would need even more solar panels to maintain usage. Charge times for solar tends to be optimistic, even under ideal conditions.  

If you need to charge an Iphone several times a day for 4 days, it will be much less weight and space to calculate your battery needs and take batteries.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:35:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Keep in mind, if you plan on needing the power bank throughout the day and away from the solar you are going to need at least another power bank. You can not charge the spent one up when you return....at the end of the day.   So you will have to rotate power banks.   If the sun does not cooperate, you would need even more solar panels to maintain usage. Charge times for solar tends to be optimistic, even under ideal conditions.  

If you need to charge an Iphone several times a day for 4 days, it will be much less weight and space to calculate your battery needs and take batteries.
View Quote
This is the gods honest truth if they say it will take 8-10 hours of full sunlight to fully charge the battery bank it will actually take 12-16 hours.
I have one of the .mil fold up solar panels and directly it will charge my Android phone at max rate in about and hour. OR you can leave it in camp to charge up a gel cell or Li-ion pack and charge your phone off of that.
I don't think I would use a phone GPS for serious hunting as a phone GPS is often not really a GPS. I would carry a real standalone GPS in the boonies
as cell service--and thus location services might be spotty or nonexistent.
I am not a huge fan of goal zeros re-badged Chinese crap -- one of their units toasted my tent and sleeping bag and then they fought me on the warranty claim.  Lowe's stopped carrying their crap after they got tired of refunding and replacing goal zeros shit. I have never used the replacement they sent me I don't trust their garbage now, especially after I discovered they knew about the issue (faulty/bad voltage regulators) and left the bad units out in the field --but when I emailed them to complain about my problem they acted as if they had never heard of such a thing happening before.
If you want to take the risk I have a free goal zero nomad 3.5, never been used here for you. I wont use it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:42:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Heck, just get something like the Anker Powerhouse. @ 120,000mAh, it can fully charge an iphone7 60+ times

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51it1Ud58BL._SL1000_.jpg
View Quote
Looks heavy

20000amh battery and ration the power
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:47:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the goalzero and it works well enough. I have the big anker power pack and use the solar to charge the power pack not the phone.

As long as the weather holds it lasts me as long as I need it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:58:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Crank generator? Don't know how useful they are but who knows? I remember getting a couple of the crank led lights to try out years ago and they worked but were very low output. Maybe there's been some positive progress in the idea, maybe not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:14:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would like it for hunting season since my phone also holds maps(also have traditional waterproof) and am always taking photos to document my trips.

iPhone 7 plus.
View Quote

Check out the Solar Monkey ~ Charger Set ~

I have the Military model that has the medium solar array with all the power cord features and carry case...

Google ~ Solar Monkey

Mine was $ 349.95 with all the cable connections...
Highest model they have...  Comes in a MOLE pouch carry case...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Crank generator? Don't know how useful they are but who knows? I remember getting a couple of the crank led lights to try out years ago and they worked but were very low output. Maybe there's been some positive progress in the idea, maybe not.
View Quote
Cranks are fine for running a built in radio or a really weak LED light.  To charge a phone is insanity. It takes up to 20 minutes of cranking to get 1% of new charge.  Again, another system for when nothing else is available and you are rationing power.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd try that Goal Zero thing - has to be a safe way to set it up. I'll pay shipping?
I was looking at the backpack mounted solar chargers, and the power output was extremely low. Still, for "only option left" it would be nice to have.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I have and use this one:
Nekteck

It works, but it will take about 8 hours to fully charge from scratch my phone.

I just ordered and I am going to try this:
Acopower

Don't know if it works, but I am going to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I have this.
Amazon Product
  • Highest Output for 3 Devices Pocket Juice: 3 USB ports for a total current output of 5.8A (2.4A max per port). The Power Bank can charge two iPads and one iPhone 6s at once at their optimal charging speed with the iSmart 2.0 technology. (Does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge)
  • Weeklong 22000mAh Portable Charger for Phones: Charge your iPhone 7 about 8 times, iPhone 7 plus over 5 times, iPhone 6s up to 9 times, a Galaxy S7 up to 5 times, or an iPad Mini more than 3 times with a massive 22000mAh capacity. Save up to 60% of charging time thanks to its 5V / 2.4A input.
  • Power Efficient Battery: Invest in a high-density Li-polymer portable usb charger that retains 70-80% of its capacity after 500 charge cycles. It's the daily choice of Microsoft, Lenovo, Huawei, and Motorola.

Love it. Lasts long but can take a few hours to fully charge. Worth it. Not too heavy. Put in one one of the pockets in chest or vest with cable attached to phone if needed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Amazon Product
  • Built with high effeciency SUNPOWER Solar Cell panel, the power conversion rate increases up to 21%-24%, providing more power to recharge internal battery than ordinary solar charger.
  • Compact, portable & stylish design; Easily fits into your bag to provide instant power; Football grain design has anti-skid protecting effect ; Perfect for long flights, road trips, hiking, camping or whenever you need to charge your mobile devices wherever you are.
  • Grade A cell, High Capacity, Build-in 10000mAh Lithium Polymer battery which chareges via a powerful SunPower solar panel ;2.1A output allows for simultaneous charging of your devices at high speed Anti-explosion, lightweight, compact and reliable, 1000+ recharge cycles over the life of the battery.

This one works pretty good for what it is. Takes about a full day to get a phone charge but holds several charges when full. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Cranks are fine for running a built in radio or a really weak LED light.  To charge a phone is insanity. It takes up to 20 minutes of cranking to get 1% of new charge.  Again, another system for when nothing else is available and you are rationing power.
View Quote
IM sent
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd try that Goal Zero thing - has to be a safe way to set it up. I'll pay shipping?
I was looking at the backpack mounted solar chargers, and the power output was extremely low. Still, for "only option left" it would be nice to have.
View Quote
sorry wrong poster...IM sent
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

iPhone 7 plus.
View Quote

Get a Tomo M4 (V8-4 previously) USB dual port li-ion power bank/charger.

It allows you to remove the four 18650 li-ion cells that run in parallel and replace them with four fully charged cells.

It's lightweight plastic and will do 2.1A+/1A out of the two ports, so good for your iPhone 7, or any other device.  It has a power/amp meter display, so you can get an idea of what's what.

I have piles of chargers, cells, batteries, power banks and solar panels here.

You carry the Tomo V8 and eight high capacity (3500mAh) 18650s and you'll have a good deal's worth of capacity.  An average 18650 weighs about 48-50 grams, so 400 grams there and the Tomo weighs about 120 grams empty, so you're at about one pound.

If you're eating your Wheaties, you can lug around a 14w-21w 5v USB folding solar panel and charge stuff up if the sun's out.

Tomo M4/V8-4 USB power bank/charger

Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Op- skip the solar. 4 night hunts are nothing. I use an Anker Astro 26000 MhA battery pack. It's not tiny but it's similar to a big phone-just thicker.

I've been using this one foe the last 2 seasons of multiple 2 week hunts. I use my old phone (Galaxy S6) as a GPS with OnX Maps. I can track myself all day, use the camera, Mark waypoints and not go below 70% all day. I shut the phone off at night and plug it in. As long as it's fully charged when I leave, it will last 2 weeks no problem.

Seriously- unless you're setting up a wall tent camp, don't mess with solar.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a 10k or 20k mAh battery. If you want solar charging capability for SHTF, you're much better off with a folding solar charger for the 10k - 20k battery. Otherwise a 20k battery is much more convenient to charge and charge from.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#33]
What i've been playing with lately-

big Anker power pack, 26800mAh or something (18650 batteries inside), with 2x micro usb INPUT ports to get a full charge in ~5hrs.

bluesea dual 12-30something vdc to usb power jack (4.2Ah at 5v)

genesun mppt 12v solar charge controller, to charge a couple old 8Ah gel cells from my computer UPS that i keep in a plano ammo can

a couple ~60W .mil surplus folding solar panels

just for kicks, one of the G-67B .mil surplus hand crank gensets

with this kit i can charge phones, run my radios, etc. and it will all fit in a large rucksack (except for the gel cells).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top