Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2017 12:44:30 PM EDT
Watched an info commercial this morning as the wife was hogging the internets.

Looked like a really good concept, very versatile, cool features, but they dont even give you an idea of the price.

Anyone have one?

Cost? Cost of extras?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a fireman in a suburb of Dallas.  We used to exclusively use the Little Giant.  Until Werner and Gorilla started making the same product. 

Do not waste your money on that brand name.  I currently carry a Werner on my Fire Engine.  I currently own a Gorilla at home.  Both of these will do exactly what the little giant does.  You will not sacrifice any durability or quality in my experience for a more modestly priced product.

I use these type of ladders nearly every shift.  So I have used them extensively in the last 25+ years.  I think I have pretty informed opinion on this subject.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Werner brand version of the Little Giant, and it's been great

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The people in those videos don't know how to use a ladder. It's easy to pinch your fingers with a LG.

I have had a little giant for 15 yrs. Still works great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had one for about ten years and love it.  They are pricey though.

Id check out the ones Lug1 mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If rather have a fibreglass ladder for most work but for specialty jobs they're great.  Watch your fingers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am a fireman in a suburb of Dallas.  We used to exclusively use the Little Giant.  Until Werner and Gorilla started making the same product. 

Do not waste your money on that brand name.  I currently carry a Werner on my Fire Engine.  I currently own a Gorilla at home.  Both of these will do exactly what the little giant does.  You will not sacrifice any durability or quality in my experience for a more modestly priced product.

I use these type of ladders nearly every shift.  So I have used them extensively in the last 25+ years.  I think I have pretty informed opinion on this subject.
View Quote
I have a Werner on mine too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the info. Have a Little Giant I have had for many years. One of the best investments I ever made. Thinking of getting a second one. Have seen the other brands you mentioned. Wondered about quality and durability.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my Little Giant

Costco sells them with some accessories for 170... Cheaper on sale
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If rather have a fibreglass ladder for most work but for specialty jobs they're great.  Watch your fingers.
View Quote
In 25 years and 8 months of using these things on a nearly every shift basis...I have yet to pinch my fingers.  

I may lose a finger next shift for posting this...Karma.

****also in no way shape or form and I dogging Little Giant, the are fine.  They just cost a lot more for something that does the exact same thing with no loss of performance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought they would be a shitty gimmick but I got to use one for a while and thought it was fantastic.  I expected a craptastic build quality but they are over built for what they are. I ended up buying one. Their only downside is that they are heavy. If you are a professional I have no reservation about it being robust enough to hold up but I wouldn't want to haul it around all day every day. For a home owner all purpose ladder they are pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Werner that I bought a decade ago, it has been great.  Have no idea what the accessories cost.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
10+ years on mine now. I got the larger of the 2 available at the time. They are heavy and bulky and take a little time to use but they are rock solid and I have never had a failure on mine. At the time they were the only game in town but being a cheap bastard I would look at the other brands listed in previous posts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In 25 years and 8 months of using these things on a nearly every shift basis...I have yet to pinch my fingers.  

****also in no way shape or form and I dogging Little Giant, the are fine.  They just cost a lot more for something that does the exact same thing with no loss of performance.
View Quote
IIRC the Werners are heavier and they are assembled with rivets instead of welded. If you shop around you can get the Little Giant on sale for the same price as the Werner. However, I've seen some sale prices on the Werners that make them the obvious choice for the price even if their build quality isn't as good. I just missed one of those big sales when I was shopping and ended up with the LG on sale instead.

No clue about the Gorillas though. I don't even remember seeing them available when I was shopping.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here. I do glass construction. Used to have a little giant now we all have Werners and Gorillas. They work just as well and are a lot cheaper. We put those damn things through their paces too. The Gorillas actually seem a little lighter to me so it's not as hard lugging them around. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote
It looks identical to the LG Alta. I wonder if LG licensed the rights to it to Werner.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
My local Lowes has a 17ft Werner on sale for $120, local Harbor Freight has 17ft Haulmaster for $100.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Have two myself and gave my dad and brother one each. I love them. They tried to work inside the LE realm a few years back and did a wide version for bus assaults, I use that one for hanging Christmas lights, since you can move laterally easier.
As said above, they are heavier and take some time to use, but are worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Love my Little Giant

Costco sells them with some accessories for 170... Cheaper on sale
View Quote
I got mine at Costco several years ago. They were doing a promotion deal and I ended up getting a bunch of the add ons with it (Paint holder, leg leveler, trestle brackets, work plank, wall stand off, airdeck work station and the ladder rack). It is a great ladder and very versatile, but it is heavy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#21]
the accidents posted are user error.

I almost broke my foot on the harbor freight version, but it was because it was my fault. I had it on the extension ladder setting, and while collapsing it I pulled out the two locks without supporting the top. It guillitined down, the foot of the ladder struck the top of my foot, and I couldnt wear a shoe on that foot for a week because of the swelling. But that was 100% my fault.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IIRC the Werners are heavier and they are assembled with rivets instead of welded. If you shop around you can get the Little Giant on sale for the same price as the Werner. However, I've seen some sale prices on the Werners that make them the obvious choice for the price even if their build quality isn't as good. I just missed one of those big sales when I was shopping and ended up with the LG on sale instead.

No clue about the Gorillas though. I don't even remember seeing them available when I was shopping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying rivets vs welds.  I don't recall on that aspect.  What I do know is how is it used and does it make a difference.  My answer is NO, it makes no difference.  We are firemen, if we haven't broken them, chances are you won't either.  So in my estimation, it doesn't really matter on the construction if they both hold up to severe conditions.  

As far as weight, I could not tell you at all.  Everything we use is heavy, I don't worry about weight.  That is just how it is.  I realize some may definitely worry about this.  I understand this could be a legitimate concern.  I just can't tell you which is heavier or by how much.  This is a very valid point for some, that I pay no mind to at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#23]
As someone who deals with step ladders and smaller extension ladders often I regard the little giant type ladders a pain in the ass.
I'd rather snatch a 6' or 8' step ladder out of the van,snap it open and handle it than lug a little giant in, snick open a bunch of articulated joints to the desired configuration, maneuver that heavy ass thing in position -- just too much hassle.

I guess it's cool for those who use a ladder infrequently.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought the Gorilla version to use at my house earlier this year. It is relatively heavy, well built, and extremely versatile; I highly recommend.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've had one for about ten years and love it.  They are pricey though.

Id check out the ones Lug1 mentioned.
View Quote
Agreed.  Our LG is great but I won't overpay when I get a big one.  I'll check out Lug's info.
Back then LG was the shit, so I bought it
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
A little giant broke on my brother while he was using it, he was around 175lbs at the time iirc. They found fault with the batch of them that included the one he bought, there was a recall or something on them. He broke his arm pretty good and got a nice settlement out of it, but he says he'd have rather just not had a broken arm.

I have a gorilla brand one, no problems with it, pretty happy with it as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Costco has the 22' for $219.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote
Same here, I want to say 22 or 26 footer, I've had it for a few years and have no complaints. Gets everywhere I need to around my place.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had their top-of-the-line fiberglass model for years. I don't use it professionally, but it's built like a tank. 

Some of the other manufactures are now making comparable products, which I have no experience with.

I don't know anything about the other offerings, but I can sure recommend the model I have. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Bought a little giant at Costco on coupon about 6 years ago. Paid 140 for it.

ETA: one of the best purchases I've made for my home. I love it and have never pinched myself like that guy in the video.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I got one as a gift years ago.   It is good for certain jobs that require weird angles/etc.  It is a heavy SOB though and in my eyes not worth lugging around unless I need to.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I got a Little Giant years ago with all the optional pieces years ago when they were only advertised on TV. It was pricey then, I think close to $300.00 but I use it for everything. It is great when a regular ladder won't get you close enough to what you are working on. Or you can use it as a straight ladder and the extra wide footprint comes in handy. The only drawback is that it is a little heavier than other ladders.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got one as a gift years ago.   It is good for certain jobs that require weird angles/etc.  It is a heavy SOB though and in my eyes not work lugging around unless I need to.
View Quote
Yeah. I've had one for a long time. It's super heavy and a bitch fully extended to handle. But it excels in other uses.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#35]
If you want Made in the USA, buy the little giant on their website.  If you just care about price then get the Werner at the big box stores.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you want Made in the USA, buy the little giant on their website.  If you just care about price then get the Werner at the big box stores.
View Quote
WOW, not something I knew.  That is a big deal and worth the extra price.  I just got off their website and scoured it.  I cannot find where they say Made in the U.S.A.  But it was at least a previous selling based on other web sites.

If they are still Made in U.S.A. that is worth it.  Just something I did not know.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#37]
The Werner MT series is most like the LG.  Anybody have experience with the Werner M series multi-ladder ?  It has a different lock mechanism and does not seperate.  

I was gifted a 20' and wonder if it's going to snap and kill me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought the Werner knock off at Lowes for $100 in 04, still working fine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had the Werner for years and it's fine, real heavy duty.  They're handy for stairs or some rare weird angle job, otherwise I MUCH prefer a traditional extension or step ladder.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Do any of them (LG, Werner, or Gorilla) have them in fiberglass?

Something 15ft+ ?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#41]
The Harbor Freight version is only $100.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Love mine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Bump
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Little giant ladders are pretty handy. They also are some finger crunching heavy lil bastards to.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had one for about 14 years (a bigger model than what's in the first video), and it's been great.

Don't know what it cost- the wife got it for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I bought a LG a few years ago from a hawker at a home show. He may have suckered me a little but I have no regrets. Mine is one of their 22' premium models with steel hardware instead of plastic like the big box versions I've seen. I got all the options and free delivery for around $400 IIRC. It is a great ladder, very useful with all the different configurations.  It replaced a Werner 4-section folding ladder that I hate, strong ladder but very heavy and cumbersome to set up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I bought a Little Giant ladder this year with the specific reason you can get the Work Platform accessory. I had and used it a week and ordered another Work Platform for someone on the other side or to be used to set things on near the top.
To me, the Work Platform is the only reason to buy a Little Giant over some other clone. Having an elevated flat surface to stand on when on a ladder is priceless.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#48]
The non-fiberglass ones are super heavy, but they are an indispensable tool to me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#49]
I've owned and used little giants going on 15 years or so. My only complaint is the weight of them. Aside from that they function well and are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've owned and used little giants going on 15 years or so. My only complaint is the weight of them. Aside from that they function well and are worth every penny.
View Quote
This.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top