Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2017 4:47:47 PM EDT
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/18/nfa-process-modernized/

Without rule changes, regulation amendments, politicians or legislation, a partnership between the U.S. government and a small private industry group has dramatically changed the process in which National Firearms Act (NFA) controlled items are transferred between individuals and entities. There is now a system in place within the BATFE’s NFA DIvision, that will allow nearly everyone who files a Form 4 to transfer controlled items, such as silencers, a genuine chance at receiving approved forms in a few short months. Alongside the ATF, three silencer industry stalwarts spearheaded the best modernization of the registry in 83 years: Dead Air Armament, GEMTECH and Silencer Shop.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Wake me when the wait times are less than a month.

ETA: Not trying to be an ungrateful asshole, but it fucking flies in the face of common sense that a NCIC instant background check can be done right at the gun counter and we have to wait months to a year to get checked for a fucking suppresor.  I'm glad somebody is leaning forward and trying to do something positive with a fucking shitty system and it sounds as though this might drop wait times to less than two months if I'm doing my math correctly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Ungrateful.

That's bad ass of the three companies. Get shit done!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I support this sentiment, and wake me when the wait time is 30 days or less.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
LMFAO.

I guess those of us that have submitted Form4s and are just 5 months in out of a 12+ month wait... are going to get beat by people ordering new suppressors later this month.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
They should have a system were you can upload your photograph and it prints off on the form.  This saves me no time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
So how long until the backlog is cleaned out and we actually have a 3-4 month wait?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
A small step in the right direction. Repeal the NFA and Hughes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/18/nfa-process-modernized/

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/IMG_1654_JPG-283769.jpg

Without rule changes, regulation amendments, politicians or legislation, a partnership between the U.S. government and a small private industry group has dramatically changed the process in which National Firearms Act (NFA) controlled items are transferred between individuals and entities. There is now a system in place within the BATFE’s NFA DIvision, that will allow nearly everyone who files a Form 4 to transfer controlled items, such as silencers, a genuine chance at receiving approved forms in a few short months. Alongside the ATF, three silencer industry stalwarts spearheaded the best modernization of the registry in 83 years: Dead Air Armament, GEMTECH and Silencer Shop.
View Quote
View Quote

There's a reason I got in on the Maxim 9 when I did.

I used Silencer Shop's kiosk to buy a SilencerCo product and it was seriously the most streamlined NFA purchase I've ever made.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So how long until the backlog is cleaned out and we actually have a 3-4 month wait?
View Quote
The backlog is expected to clear within the next 2 to 3 months at the current approval rate.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My form 4 came back today on a oct 21 pending.  293 days.  It has dropped big in the past few weeks, and is going downhill big time.
View Quote
This.

My Hybrid purchase was right at a year.

My GM45 was well under a year.

My Maxim9 seems to be going really fast.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LMFAO.

I guess those of us that have submitted Form4s and are just 5 months in out of a 12+ month wait... are going to get beat by people ordering new suppressors later this month.
View Quote
That's now this works. Their form will process faster, but only after yours is processed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of you dudes would be pissed if you got a blowjob because you'd rather get pussy.

Jesus Christ, be fucking happy about something for once in your miserable lives. This is a good thing, regardless of the fact that it's not going to magically process a giant stack of paperwork, in the future you'll have a more convenient experience.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The backlog is expected to clear within the next 2 to 3 months at the current approval rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's awesome!

Perhaps its time I start the NFA game.  What about SBR wait times, are those coming down as well?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
do they offer a form 1 generator?

it seems like a simple enough modification....I suppose they dont want to encourage anyone to build their own silencer, and lose sales, but paperwork isn't people's barrier to doing that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's awesome!

Perhaps its time I start the NFA game.  What about SBR wait times, are those coming down as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's awesome!

Wait times across the board are coming down and drastically. Also, the ATF receives around 1/4th as many Forms 1 as they do Forms 4.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wait times across the board are coming down and drastically. Also, the ATF receives around 1/4th as many Forms 1 as they do Forms 4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's awesome!

Thx for the info!  Time to start a stamp collection
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's awesome!

Moar This.

Look at NFATracker.com and follow the trend line. It seems to be dropping precipitously.

Currently people are getting F4 to Individual from November and the trend line is down.

If you submitted a F4 to Individual in May, my estimate is you'll have it within ~150 days.

After that things might stabilize, might go down, might go up, might go away. (Fuck I hope) Submissions are *WAY* down now after the rule change screwing trusts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Is this those kiosk things, or something different? 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
In 2006 I got two cans and a SBS back in around three weeks. Too back its 2017, but good on them for getting things started in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
The kiosks help facilitate this in terms of getting your prints and such, but this announcement applies to the barcode system developed by Silencer Shop and adopted by the ATF that allows any dealer to fill out Forms 4 on Silencer Shop's site and print them. The printed version has a barcode that the ATF can simply scan to auto-fill your information in their system.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why do you say these things?

Why do you hate my wallet?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wake me when the wait times are less than a month walking out the door.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
The first can I bought about 15 years ago before the big demand took 91 days
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wake me when the wait times are less than a monththey are cash and carry.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The kiosks help facilitate this in terms of getting your prints and such, but this announcement applies to the barcode system developed by Silencer Shop and adopted by the ATF that allows any dealer to fill out Forms 4 on Silencer Shop's site and print them. The printed version has a barcode that the ATF can simply scan to auto-fill your information in their system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. I need to start buying some. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Good, I picked up two suppressor this week that were purchased from SS. It took 18 months for me receive my stamps. I made 3 calls to the ATF and sent an email two weeks ago. My stamps mailed directly to me, so suspect my original stamps were lost in the mail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quote from the article.
"Want some more good news? Starting on July 11, 2017, all Form 4s from Silencer Shop were imprinted with the new barcode, meaning if you purchased a silencer in the last 30 days, chances are your forms have been “upgraded” and are in line for expedited processing as we speak."

I purchased from SS at the end of June and end of July. Both were submitted in August. My applications have the barcode and I was wondering why it was there. I hope this works as well as they planned. It will drastically cut down on our wait time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder what the number of months will truly be.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope there is a stream line for form1s' also. I want to do another SBR.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think my first can took 41 days.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My form 1 suppressor and sbr in '07 took 59 and 61 days mail box to mail box and the 59 days included a round trip mailing of the application from WV to TX to make a correction.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Pretty cool, why the fuck can't the gov't have gotten this done on their own? Are they that inept and blind to the inefficiencies in their process? Typical gov't, just imagine the waste in all other areas of the .gov, wasting our goddamn tax dollars....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I support this sentiment, and wake me when the wait time is 30 days or less.
View Quote
I got my one and only can in about 4 weeks and the was over the Christmas and New Years holiday. That was back on '06...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I waiting with baited breath for the HPA to pass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember hearing a lot of crap in the industry against silencer shop.  Seems their process was being accused of causing the efile system to go down due to excessive volume.  That said, got all but 2 of mine from them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Does anyone know if this applies to form 1's? I heard that you can now do form 1's on the kiosk, but is it the same system?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I applaud these companies for coming up with solutions to problem created by the .gov.

I also look forward to the day when these solutions are unnecessary.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
It was less than a month in the 70's I saw a 70's dated form 4 recently and it was under 3 weeks. No computers and all.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
LMFAO.

View Quote
That sucks for us, I have 3 in NFA jail and going on month 4-5
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Just purchased a Dead Air Mask, Wolf 9SD, and Sandman-K this week.  Also filed a form 1.  They all had QR Code boxy thing.

Would be great if I can pick them all up on the same trip.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Thats pretty cool. Probably not that exciting to people like me with apps already in the stack but going forward it should cut time at least a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My form 4 came back today on a oct 21 pending.  293 days.  It has dropped big in the past few weeks, and is going downhill big time.
View Quote
You have to consider the fact that there was a huge 'bump in the road' last June/July when the rule change took effect. They probably got more filings in a month than they'd received in the previous two years combined. 

Silencer Shop's website figures this bar code thing will reduce approval time by 30 to 50%. That's a good thing, but I'd rather see the HPA passed and ratified...or the entire NFA scrapped. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It was less than a month in the 70's I saw a 70's dated form 4 recently and it was under 3 weeks. No computers and all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah but how many people in the 70's knew silencers were legal, much less knew the process of actually getting one? 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top