Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2017 1:02:38 AM EDT
So I've been working all night trying to put togethor a video and the last thing I need is 3 pictures I emailed myself from my tablet, so I try to open my email and get no network connection.  I double check the internet connection with my tablet and the network is working fin, my laptop just doesn't want to connect.  Not the first time it has done this, I just have to restart it.  Of course I had already restarted it a few minutes before when the video player decided not to work.

And what happens when I restart it this time?  I get the lovely fucking Windows Update screen telling me "Getting Windows ready: Don't turn off your computer" because it has decided to do yet another pointless fucking update tat Microsoft deams us unworthy of skipping.  This despite my doing the trick of setting my connection to metered.  It still updates whenever the fuck it wants.

My computer I have come to realize will deliberately act fucky when an update is waiting to force me to restart.

Only it freezes on the "Getting Windows ready: Don't turn off your computer" screen for an excessive amount of time.  What happens if it actually freezes like that for real because Microsoft has pushed a fucky beta update for the home users to test for them without any compensation or permission?  What happens if I DO turn off my computer to try to unfreeze it?

Fuck Microsoft.

No, I am not a programmer so I am not interested in installing Linux as I like to actually be able to use my computer without punching in commands and code, and Chrome is a browser, not an operating system so unfortunately I am stuck with Microsoft.

I have ranted about the forced update bullshit before, this is specifically about what happens if I turn it off when it tells me not too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Fuck Microsoft.

No, I am not a programmer so I am not interested in installing Linux as I like to actually be able to ise my computer without punching in commands and code, and Chrome is a browser, not an operating system so unfortunately I am stuck with Microsoft.

I have ranted about the forced update bullshit before, this is specifically about what happens if I turn it off when it tells me not too.
View Quote

Might be time to become a programmer
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
That's why none of my computers and tablets (I have several) will never see Win 10 until Microsoft reverses this stupid policy.  I'm happy with Win 7 and 8.1 (only in the tablet) anyways.

I already started migrating to Linux and got the Mint 64-bit, which is great.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
My computer is not the boss of me! 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#4]
You should write your own OS.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I've been working all night trying to put togethor a video and the last thing I need is 3 pictures I emailed myself from my tablet, so I try to open my email and get no network connection.  I double check the internet connection with my tablet and the network is working fin, my laptop just doesn't want to connect.  Not the first time it has done this, I just have to restart it.  Of course I had already restarted it a few minutes before when the video player decided not to work.

And what happens when I restart it this time?  I get the lovely fucking Windows Update screen telling me "Getting Windows ready: Don't turn off your computer" because it has decided to do yet another pointless fucking update tat Microsoft deams us unworthy of skipping.  This despite my doing the trick of setting my connection to metered.  It still updates whenever the fuck it wants.

My computer I have come to realize will deliberately act fucky when an update is waiting to force me to restart.

Only it freezes on the "Getting Windows ready: Don't turn off your computer" screen for an excessive amount of time.  What happens if it actually freezes like that for real because Microsoft has pushed a fucky beta update for the home users to test for them without any compensation or permission?  What happens if I DO turn off my computer to try to unfreeze it?

Fuck Microsoft.

No, I am not a programmer so I am not interested in installing Linux as I like to actually be able to ise my computer without punching in commands and code, and Chrome is a browser, not an operating system so unfortunately I am stuck with Microsoft.

View Quote

This is the kind of shit that makes me want to smash electronics.

So far in the past year a shit assed Sony Bluray player and an Xbox one both went bye bye when I had my fill of their bullshit wanting to be online and wanting to refuse to just fucking work while offline.

The shit assed Sony bluray player would take the disc, spin up a bit while telling me "hello" for about 5 minutes then just shut off.   All while refusing to power back on or eject the disc.

Fuck you sony.   Cheap assed DVD/Bluray is toast.  Smashy smashy.

Similar shit with the xbone wanting to spend 2 hours updating before I can play online maybe 3 times out of the year.   Then after the updates it wants to refuse to recognize that I own the game despite the goddamn disc being in the goddamn drive.   Dozens of power off/on and finally it will read the damn disc?    Then it doesnt want to play blurays but will play dvd's just fine?

Fuck it.    Not worth taking it some place and paying more than it is worth to have it fixed.    There is more lasting enjoyment by disposing of it once and for all.   Smashed and done.

Feeling cleansed that 10 seconds of electronics meeting pavement manages to relieve all the pent up frustrations of dealing with a year or more of bullshit.

I despise Windows 7 and 10.   Still using windows XP and it does what I want when I want.   Doesnt have a bunch of stupid mobile inspired bullshit that takes 2 times as long trying to find what I am looking for versus a super simple file structure for XP.

I have some simple video crap I would like to do but buying a new computer and putting up with the crap that is forced on PC owners now just doesnt seem worth it.   If I do get a new laptop, figuring out a way to never let it access the internet, or only if I let it while hopefully blocking connecting to Microsoft, would be my only option.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I hear ya OP. My Mac gave me a notice that I can upgrade my OS at my convenience quite a while ago.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
get a Mac. Much better experience.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should write your own OS.
View Quote
Maybe I'll write an OS, with hookers and black jack!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You can schedule that kinda thing, you know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
My laptop decided to do an update right in the middle of work, had a bunch of unsaved stuff too.

I had to wait for the fucking update to complete before I could start redoing all of the work I had lost.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#11]
In this thread we learn people don't have on autosave and or save often.

Also, you can turn off or postpone automatic updates.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:07:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I scheduled my laptop for updates at 3am.
Turned laptop off at 1am.
Profit

Ed
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]
My only complaint about Linux so far has been most of my steam library won't work.  But its been awesome for the computer for a media center.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you tried to turn it off and then back on again?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:20:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1. My computer I have come to realize will deliberately act fucky when an update is waiting to force me to restart.

2. Only it freezes on the "Getting Windows ready: Don't turn off your computer" screen for an excessive amount of time. 
View Quote
 Same two things happen to my PC.

On the "Getting Windows ready" message, I'll give it 10 or 15 minutes then I usually hit the reset button and reboot.  Have done this 4 or 5 times with no problem.

HOWEVER....I backup my computer automatically twice daily using the free version of Macrium Reflect.    So if something WERE to go wrong I could recover easily.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:20:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Needs to turn it off and remove the battery.  Place the laptop in the backyard and the battery in the mailbox or flower pot in the front yard.  Wait 1 hour, then try again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you you're retarded and you should learn 87 programming languages, then Windows works perfectly.

I use Windows as little as humanly fucking possible, because it is garbage. Granted. I'm forced to use it at work. I often work from home, so I have this POS desktop I use for work shit.

Otherwise? Linux. Hell, I can do a LOT of work shit on Linux anyways.

But. Microsoft has jumped the proverbial shark, and I don't think they even care.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#18]
@KalihiJack

At least Windows doesn't Click Click Click

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@KalihiJack

At least Windows doesn't Click Click Click

View Quote
Usually hard drives make the click click click.  Or the nails of the dogs on my floor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:49:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Usually hard drives make the click click click.  Or the nails of the dogs on my floor.
View Quote
@KalihiJack

Well I still stand by my original statement of DSLRs being annoying.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:49:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I am tired of hardware/software companies wrangling you into what they want you to do with the shit you paid for.  I just don't buy or don't upgrade.  Someday I may get to a point where my tech is a pen, paper, and a carrier pigeon.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@KalihiJack

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@KalihiJack

Ahhh...for DSLRs, you gotta write it out faster than click click click
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:10:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ahhh...for DSLRs, you gotta write it out faster than click click click
View Quote
@KalihiJack

Why?

If I'm @ing you too much, lemme know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I feel the same about the windows machines I use. I was planning to suggest the Linux route, till I saw that.

I will say that you don't have to use the terminal to run Ubuntu, (and I expect several of the other big distributions as well). Ubuntu Linux is what my family (six of us 3-38 yrs old) uses 90% of the time, and I am the only one who plays around in the terminal. Linux updates (Linux has them to) are nicer in that you can ignore them, when you do run them, they just go in the background, only about 25ish percent of the time do they require a restart, and they don't make it take any longer to shut down or boot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:39:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
The fact that rebooting fixes so many issues should be a sign that Microsoft hasn't got their OS figured out, yet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@KalihiJack

Why?

If I'm @ing you too much, lemme know.
View Quote
Because my Nikon D4 can fire off 5 shots for one of your clicks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
The hell you can.  The "schedule" requires you to pick some ridiculously long block of time that cannot possibly be entirely in your inactive hours, then it only holds to that schedule if your computer is turned on 24/7.  Turn it off or close the lid?  No schedule for you.  Also did you miss the part where it forces me to restart by jacking up the system anytime an update is pending?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, you can't.  There is no option in the system to turn the fucking things off, Windows professional lets you delay them until after the unpaid and involuntary public beta test of the home users, but then it still forces you to update.  Home users cannot even delay it, Microsoft forces us to be unpaid beta testers for their new patches, and if it fucks our systems up oh well.  If it fucks up our schedule, oh well.  If it fucks up our life because we can't get critical work done on time, oh well.

But hey, at least we have meaningless facebook security patch (I don't use facebook, fuck facebook) number 457,953,974,267,457,367,325,474.  Sure, it fucked up our computer, kept us from getting work done and caused us to fail/get fired, but at least facebook works, the computer doesn't but if it did, facebook would run great.  That's what's important afterall.  Fuck our puny priorities, needs, and lives, we MUST update Facebook, NOW!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:07:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, you can't.  There is no option in the system to turn the fucking things off, Windows professional lets you delay them until after the unpaid and involuntary public beta test of the home users, but then it still forces you to update.  Home users cannot even delay it, Microsoft forces us to be unpaid beta testers for their new patches, and if it fucks our systems up oh well.  If it fucks up our schedule, oh well.  If it fucks up our life because we can't get critical work done on time, oh well.

But hey, at least we have meaningless facebook security patch (I don't use facebook, fuck facebook) number 457,953,974,267,457,36686,474.  Sure, it fucked up our computer, kept us from getting work done and caused us to fail/get fired, but at least facebook works, the computer doesn't but if it did, facebook would run great.  That's what's important afterall.  Fuck our puny priorities, needs, and lives, we MUST update Facebook, NOW!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But hey, at least we have meaningless facebook security patch (I don't use facebook, fuck facebook) number 457,953,974,267,457,36686,474.  Sure, it fucked up our computer, kept us from getting work done and caused us to fail/get fired, but at least facebook works, the computer doesn't but if it did, facebook would run great.  That's what's important afterall.  Fuck our puny priorities, needs, and lives, we MUST update Facebook, NOW!
Well, I guess you are going to die.

Dibs on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#30]
MacBook Pro will solve your ills.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But hey, at least we have meaningless facebook security patch (I don't use facebook, fuck facebook) number 457,953,974,267,457,367,325,474.  Sure, it fucked up our computer, kept us from getting work done and caused us to fail/get fired, but at least facebook works, the computer doesn't but if it did, facebook would run great.  That's what's important afterall.  Fuck our puny priorities, needs, and lives, we MUST update Facebook, NOW!
View Quote
Wrong.

Use google to search
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:03:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Fuck W-10.

Fuck MS.

FUCK IT ALL.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I walked away from my computer to get lunch and the update decided to run, I was finishing a 26 page contract, now I am typing from a 2017 Mac book Pro. I should have made the switch years ago.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#34]
"Download updates, but let me decide when to apply them."

Words to live by.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
get a Mac. Much better experience.
View Quote
No kidding.  Years ago I ordered the hottest, fastest Dell which arrived DOA.  Bought a Mac and never looked back, now it is almost physically painful to have to look at a Windows screen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Similar message royally hosed one of my shop pc's recently during a shutdown. Thought I'd save a few minutes awhile back and popped it online to pull new firmware for cnc - my win7 got tagged and one day I got some win 10 update is 64% complete, yada, yada, yada - frozen until it went back online. Just fucked the programming logic. Thanks for turning a dedicated cnc box into a useless cloud / app store based social media dynamo. Located some vintage XP disks and that thing is never going online again.

windows 10 - the Kirby of operating systems. It really sucks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"Download updates, but let me decide when to apply them."

Words to live by.
View Quote
MacOS does that.  It gives you the option of installing now, in one hour, or later at your command.

But the win10 gurus will still tell you that's an inferior way of installing the updates, "you have to be smarter than your computer to operate it correctly ," etc.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I have windows 10 and I think its the best shit ever

:shrug:
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Get a Mac, or switch to Linux. Mint is popular, and Kubuntu or Neon are wonderful. 

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

http://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/

https://neon.kde.org/download
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So far in the past year a shit assed Sony Bluray player and an Xbox one both went bye bye when I had my fill of their bullshit wanting to be online and wanting to refuse to just fucking work while offline.

The shit assed Sony bluray player would take the disc, spin up a bit while telling me "hello" for about 5 minutes then just shut off.   All while refusing to power back on or eject the disc.

Similar shit with the xbone wanting to spend 2 hours updating before I can play online maybe 3 times out of the year.   Then after the updates it wants to refuse to recognize that I own the game despite the goddamn disc being in the goddamn drive.   Dozens of power off/on and finally it will read the damn disc?    Then it doesnt want to play blurays but will play dvd's just fine?

Fuck it.    Not worth taking it some place and paying more than it is worth to have it fixed.    There is more lasting enjoyment by disposing of it once and for all.   Smashed and done.

Feeling cleansed that 10 seconds of electronics meeting pavement manages to relieve all the pent up frustrations of dealing with a year or more of bullshit.

I despise Windows 7 and 10.   Still using windows XP and it does what I want when I want.   Doesnt have a bunch of stupid mobile inspired bullshit that takes 2 times as long trying to find what I am looking for versus a super simple file structure for XP.

I have some simple video crap I would like to do but buying a new computer and putting up with the crap that is forced on PC owners now just doesnt seem worth it.   If I do get a new laptop, figuring out a way to never let it access the internet, or only if I let it while hopefully blocking connecting to Microsoft, would be my only option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Microsoft.

Gotta say I like the way you think. Smash'em all to bits!

Hope microsoft and new indian overlords get bytten hard by their latest bullshit. *rant deleted* Smart businesses will begin to abandon this business model, no choice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have windows 10 and I think its the best shit ever

:shrug:
View Quote
For guys who like to get under the hood and tinker, possibly it's the best shit ever.  For those of us who just want to turn the computer on and have it just fucking WORK without annoying the SHIT out of us, it is a steaming pile of shit.  

And yes, I have gone thru the settings to make it download and install updates ONLY when I tell it to, and it still does shit whenever it wants to.  When I'm working on a document that I need to get done now, and the computer decides to tell me to fuck off so it can do its own thing, and both MicroSoft and power users tell me "that's a feature not a bug, you're just stupid," then the consumer experience = "Win10 fucking sucks, I'm buying a Mac."

A computer should be an appliance that I turn on and it works, not a test of my ability to restrain my temper.  Apple understands this.  MicroSoft does not.  That is why after 20 years of using Microsoft products, I am now a MacBook owner and will never own a windows machine again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For guys who like to get under the hood and tinker, possibly it's the best shit ever.  For those of us who just want to turn the computer on and have it just fucking WORK without annoying the SHIT out of us, it is a steaming pile of shit.  

And yes, I have gone thru the settings to make it download and install updates ONLY when I tell it to, and it still does shit whenever it wants to.  When I'm working on a document that I need to get done now, and the computer decides to tell me to fuck off so it can do its own thing, and both MicroSoft and power users tell me "that's a feature not a bug, you're just stupid," then the consumer experience = "Win10 fucking sucks, I'm buying a Mac."

A computer should be an appliance that I turn on and it works, not a test of my ability to restrain my temper.  Apple understands this.  MicroSoft does not.  That is why after 20 years of using Microsoft products, I am now a MacBook owner and will never own a windows machine again.
View Quote
I mean I literally just turn the shit on. I don't even know how to attempt to tinker.

Mac is the most frustrating operating system I have ever seen in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Your level of risk acceptance is pretty amazing.
View Quote
And you believe win 10 is safe?

Also believe ads like this? Oceanfront ranch for sale, great neighborhood in suburban Topeka, KS. Motivated seller. Contact for price.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#46]
have you tried watering it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#47]
My work laptop is Windows 10 as is my primary home desktop.  My work laptop will not let me shutdown if there's an update.  The only option says UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN.

My home PC has both UPDATE AND SHUTDOWN as well as SHUTDOWN as options.  I thought I had them setup the same...but maybe I need to investigate the laptop and confirm the settings are correct.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS!

Computers really are too complicated for 99% of the population. Anything outside of Facebook and Pinterest is learning overload.

Windows 10 is easily the best OS ever. Just manually check for updates every time you get on and you'll have no problems.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#49]
The major issue with win 10 is that programs like most of my cnc stuff will not run on it. works on win 7 just fine.
microsoft needs to learn that some of us can't afford their "upgrade"
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top