Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 8:55:06 PM EDT
Some crap at work is making me think I am being squeezed out. I am working a lot of uncompensated hours under a contract that heavily favors the employer.

I get a small window every year between signing a contract to look for work, otherwise I am on the hook until it ends. The only way I will able to move on is by breaking it or go through a term of unemployment after it ends or they end me.

I'm going to need help no matter what direction this goes and I think I need legal advise.

How did you select a lawyer? 
Was it worth it?
Expensive?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Some crap at work is making me think I am being squeezed out. I am working a lot of uncompensated hours under a contract that heavily favors the employer.

I get a small window every year between signing a contract to look for work, otherwise I am on the hook until it ends. The only way I will able to move on is by breaking it or go through a term of unemployment after it ends or they end me.

I'm going to need help no matter what direction this goes and I think I need legal advise.

How did you select a lawyer? 
Was it worth it?
Expensive?
View Quote

Don't work the hours?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
OP if you are signing a contract as an individual, by all that is holy, please have it reviewed by a lawyer first.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
claim you're lgbtqwtfbbq and you will never get fired
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Only to protect the business from it's employees.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
When I joined my current clinic, I had a lawyer go through all of the contract. He pointed out some things that I would've never considered. They were deal-breakers, more just things to keep in mind. I forgot how much I paid. Probably $600-1000 or so. 

7 years later, I'm a shareholder in the clinic and on the board of directors. We're a private, physician owned clinic. But remember that contracts exist to protect the company. They can protect you too, but it all needs to be spelled out BEFORE you sign. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Will to Work state?

What's your contract say?

How EXACTLY are they "squeezing you out"?

And generally speaking, NO, a lawyer cannot help you with workplace matters unless they relate to federally protected discrimination issues.

You're fucked. Get another job.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I consulted with an employment attorney prior to signing a contract.  She provided valuable advice and simple edits/addendums that got me what I wanted.

Shortly thereafter she revealed herself to be a total lunatic and threatened to sue me for "greedily" accepting the discounted rate we had agreed to in advance.

So, you could say my experience was mixed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one on retainer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will to Work state?

What's your contract say?

How EXACTLY are they "squeezing you out"?

And generally speaking, NO, a lawyer cannot help you with workplace matters unless they relate to federally protected discrimination issues.

You're fucked. Get another job.
View Quote
The above could not be more wrong.  I am an employment lawyer.  

OP, have a lawyer look over the contract.  The OH Employment Lawyers Association has a lawyer directory on its website, OH Employment Lawyers Association.

You should also talk to a lawyer about the unpaid work.  You may have an offensive claim which you could use as leverage to get out of your current contract.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
In the scenario you describe I could not imagine not hiring an attorney.

Find the best 3 in your area that specializes in employment law.  Speak with each of them.

You'll make more than you pay the attorney.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Does your contract state you can't interview with other companies while under contract?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
if you need to ask "do I need a lawyer".  You need a lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I hired a lawyer to review a pay discrepancy issue. I was right, and she composed a strongly worded letter outlining the law and what my employers obligations were. cost me $500.00

In the end I never sent the letter and lost 20k. Legally the owed me the money and couldn't fire me over the issue, but it certainly would have been the end of my employment there.

I decided my future with the company out weighed what they owed me over the issue.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys, especially @davewvu86.

I appreciate the answers. I don't want to say much because AROCKing but your experiences have helped me out.

I am going to see how the changes to my job really work out before I start freaking out, but I think I will run the contract past a lawyer in the next few weeks. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, especially @davewvu86.

I appreciate the answers. I don't want to say much because AROCKing but your experiences have helped me out.

I am going to see how the changes to my job really work out before I start freaking out, but I think I will run the contract past a lawyer in the next few weeks. 
View Quote
Happy to help.  Hope it works out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
As a business owner I have grounds to fire/dismiss anyonne who works here normally thru various records, if they have worked here long. I would think you get a laywer involved with your company where you work they'll dig out something as well.

But under contract would likely be another issue. The only contract I use is to produce a one time item at a time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hired a lawyer to review a pay discrepancy issue. I was right, and she composed a strongly worded letter outlining the law and what my employers obligations were. cost me $500.00

In the end I never sent the letter and lost 20k. Legally the owed me the money and couldn't fire me over the issue, but it certainly would have been the end of my employment there.

I decided my future with the company out weighed what they owed me over the issue.
View Quote
There is no statute of limitations on issues like that.  If you longer work there call the department of labor, they will sort it out for you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Damn. That is harsh.

Did they know they were fucking you and just did it anyway? Like my boss in my story was wanting to screw our employees? Or did they feel they were righteous in the deal?

Cause that would make a bigass difference in my feeling like I should stay or go.
View Quote
They knew they were wrong, and deposited $3000.00 into my checking account to try and compensate me. It was a fraction of what they owed me, and insulting.

But at the end of the day I have worked there 20+ years earn 100K+ and could easily retire with them. So I didn't send the letter.

If I ever do decide to leave I still have the proof and can try to get reimbursed. Lawyer says they are actually liable for three times the amount that was deducted from my earnings.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Sent you an Im with a name of a good one in Toledo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Not for something like that but I hired a lawyer when I applied for my disability pension. Between having a lawyer and a possible case of malpractice against the PD's doctor they were more than happy to grant me my pension.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#23]
If you still need a referral let me know-  I have worked with and against several in greater Toledo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top