Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/17/2017 6:59:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Some guy named saigamanTX bought them all...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I got mine
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Like all surplus, it dries up.

<---- has fond memories of filing his locking shoulder to correct headspace
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could get a good one for a good price.

Guess it's a PTR-91 for me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I gots me 2 of em.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Fal's pretty much disappeared about  5 years ago.. I had a really nice DSA and I sold it for big bucks during one of the gun scares.  I haven't seen another for a decent price since then.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one and enough mags to take a bath in.  I miss those days, and ended up with enough SA ball 7.62 I needed a wheelbarrow to move.

I really miss that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Soon people will be turning Century FALs back into parts kits.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are not concerned with it not being mil surplus, DSA is an option.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Soon people will be turning Century FALs back into parts kits.
View Quote
Better use of the parts that are salvageable. The only question is where people will get receiver now. The one guy I knew of who was importing Imbels isn't anymore, DSA's are supposed to be iffy, and Coonan was recently roasted by one of the top builders who said he won't recommend them anymore.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two left. Sold the rest. A few were built on Coonan's and I never had any trouble with them. Maybe I got lucky.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I Still have 2

They are 8 MOA rifles at best with surplus. About 4 MOA with handloads.

They were only popular in the 90~2000's because they were far cheaper than buying a M1A or HK91.

People that think they are great rifles are idiots.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I Still have 2

They were only popular in the 90~2000's because they were far cheaper than buying a M1A or HK91.

People that think they are good rifles are idiots.
View Quote
I remember one guy in Texas tried seriously accurizing FALs, freefloating the barrel, etc.  He got down to 2MOA with FGMM.  It was a fool's errand.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I got mine about 6 years ago when DSA was offering their builds on like-new IMBEL kits.
Should have bought more, it's a big, heavy sweetie.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I got one, mine is so old it has the Aussie wood furniture and the barrel was neutered because of the AWB.  Been meaning to have it threaded and just never got around to it.  I don't think I've shot it in a decade.  

Oh, and I bought a half dozen of the SA battle packs at the same time.  I think they were $28 each. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I built a shitload of FALs in the late '90s, kinda a side job. Sold all of them. No regrets.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh, and I bought a half dozen of the SA battle packs at the same time.  I think they were $28 each. 
View Quote
Hell yeah they were. I still have cases of hirt I bought for $150.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got 2, including a century that I bought from cabelas last year for $425
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
A thousand dollars.  I would like one, but can get two PA-10s for the money.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I visit DSA a few times a year as I live about an hour away.  They usually have about 30 FAL's on the wall.  

They are certainly easy enough to get if you want one.  

I have a DSA SA58 Para folder and mounted an ACOG.  Had the trigger lighted by a local smith.  Sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#23]
They are all in safe's with no ammunition
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

... The only question is where people will get receiver now. ..... DSA's are supposed to be iffy .....
View Quote
What's the story on the DSA receivers? 15+ years ago they were kind of the gold standard.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#25]
The unfortunate nature of surplus, it will likely never be cheaper or more plentiful then directly after the release.

Sold off the last of my kits and receivers during the last panic. Couldn't afford not to. 

I've had no functional issue with my Century L1A1, but its not very accurate. My Vandenberg built is pretty decent sub 3ish MOA, not crazy about the muzzle brake. My STG built on an Imbel is a bit worse than that. 

They're out there, just not as many and not nearly as cheap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Heavy rifles with shitty ergos built for people with gorilla arms. 

I had a IMBEL and sold it. Never looked back. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They are all in safe's with no ammunition
View Quote
I'm gonna go with this ^^^...

When .308 got up to .50-.70 CPR most FALs were relegated to back of the safe status...at least until the price of the ammo. comes back down.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#28]
people hold onto them like grim death
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember those $5 mags too. Should have bought more even though I still bought a buttload and every single one works.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a FN FAL imported by Gun South in AL..it was not cheap but it was unfired.  I see them going for $3500 or so. I pd $1500. I liked it so much I sold my HK91.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine was built in 1987.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I Still have 2

View Quote
Sorry, but no. They aren't 8 MOA rifles if they are built correctly. I have gotten ~2 MOA with surplus and less with handloads. I've built quite a few FALs over the years: Aussie, Brit, Argie, Imbel, Rhodie... none of them were as inaccurate as you describe.

I prefer the AR-10 but your statement is absolutely false.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Remember TAPCO?

Before TAPCO became the ridiculous craphole they are now, they were once the FAL fun shop.

TAPCO sold tons of desirable FAL parts and kits.  They had great FAL stuff.

Now they are the laughing stock of the gun world.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I also remember $2 mags and cheap south African surplus. I still have one case left. I miss those days. I'd go to the gun show with $500 and buy enough ammo that the seller would let me borrow a hand truck to take it to the car.

I should have bought a couple of connexes and maxed out every credit card I could get buying ammo and Ak parts kits.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine are doing fine. Well fed and happy. Just like me :)  When ammo was cheap, I stacked it deep. Barring some catastrophic event, I have enough ammo to supply my needs/desires until my expiration date. 

My worst F A L is 3MOA with milsurp ammo. My two best are 2MOA with certain milsurp ammo, and 3MOA with the rest. 

You can think me an idiot all that you want. I am well armed, well ammo'ed, and my internet has an off button.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

Mine is right where I thought it was....
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I have 8 of them, and 2-3 kits still waiting to be built.  Ergo's fit me so much better than a ptr, and the fal is way better than a 8 moa rifle as previous poster said.  Realistically it's probably more in the 3-5 range.  The imbel barrels have been very accurate for me, good chrome lining and rarely shot.  Triggers can be lessened with falcon spring kit's.  They are good reliable battle rifles.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a G1 parts kit when they were still available.  One day...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sorry, but no. They aren't 8 MOA rifles if they are built correctly. I have gotten ~2 MOA with surplus and less with handloads. I've built quite a few FALs over the years: Aussie, Brit, Argie, Imbel, Rhodie... none of them were as inaccurate as you describe.

View Quote
He's been posting that crap in FAL threads for years and has been told the truth hundreds of times.  He is incapable of learning.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I had about 8 of them before selling them to get my 1943 Dodge WC63 Truck.

Also no photos of a SA build, and a Springfield Heavy barrel....

They paid for most of it.......

L1A1

STG58....

Israeli Heavy Barrel and Israeli Light Barrel....

DSA Para.....

Rhodesian Build, never finished.....

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I still need more mags for mine
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I Still have 2

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a barely used dsa-stg 58 I bought back in the ban days. I haven't paid attention to values. What's it worth now?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Heavy rifles with shitty ergos built for people with gorilla arms. 

I had a IMBEL and sold it. Never looked back. 
View Quote
Mag relief cut, big offhand charging handle, drop-free mags, easy safety and a mage release in reach of the trigger finger. FALs have some of the best ergos evar.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#45]
The ones I shot were 2.5-4 moa rifles.   They were inch guns with Brit barrels.    They also had different stock lengths; S,N,L,XL.   As well as an arctic stock that was even shorter.  

I sold a big box of FAL parts for a friend of mine.   Some of the metric stocks were gorilla long indeed.    I'm short and the Brit S stocks fit me well.  I have two No4mk1 rifles both with S stocks.  That's one thing they had going for them over US rifles one size fits all stocks.  

I can't remember the last FAL I saw on the range.   More likely to see a PTR 91 these days.  

I think they're indeed in the backs of safes due to ammo and the cheap and available   AR and easier handling.  Gone are 125 parts kits and hundred to 150 dollar receivers.    A lot of the FALs got melted or deep sixed in the ocean with feel good treaties.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What's the story on the DSA receivers? 15+ years ago they were kind of the gold standard.
View Quote
I could be wrong, but I think they were built on imported IMBEL receivers back then.  Now they are all commercial U.S. receivers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I remember those $5 mags too. Should have bought more even though I still bought a buttload and every single one works.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I had a bunch of these. Sold them way to early for way to little 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got mine about 6 years ago when DSA was offering their builds on like-new IMBEL kits.
Should have bought more, it's a big, heavy sweetie.
View Quote
I really wish I would have bought one of those when they were under $1000.

I just have zero desire to buy a classic, foreign MIL gun with a U.S. barrel and receiver.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I haven't seen anything personally, but I don't have much experience with FALs. I just see a lot of posts by those in the know on the Falfiles who say that the current DSAs are out of spec, etc. FWIW, I bought a bolt hold open from them that is clearly superior to the older ones in construction.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought my parts kits just as the last of the supply was drying up, and a good thing--FALs are great rifles.  Their not the most accurate rifle ever made, but to say that they're categorically 4 MOA rifles at best is wrong.  That said, I did have one FAL that shot 8 MOA with milsurp, but a barrel swap improved things to the point that it could hit man-sized targets at 960 yards with some consistency, provided I used handloads.  (On paper, it would do 1.5 MOA 5-shot groups if I was having a good day.)  If you want gilt-edged accuracy from an autoloading .308, your time is better spent on an AR, but FALs aren't necessarily awful in the accuracy department.

Here's a photo of the FAL I shot at 960:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top