Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2017 4:57:18 PM EDT
What a fantastic film!
The aerial sequences were incredible. Where'd they get all those WW II airplanes?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you think it's worth it to go to the IMAX version of this?  I've been meaning to
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What a fantastic film!
The aerial sequences were incredible. Where'd they get all those WW II airplanes?
View Quote

They couldn't even be bothered to get real BF109s with Daimler engines, which are available in the US and in Europe.

No cookie for them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I really liked it. Very different from the usual war action film.

Getting used to the different timelines took a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
do they have the Germans talking German and subtitles??
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Fantastic film, seen it twice in IMAX, before this film I hadn't been to the movies in ten years.
Some guys in here are all poo-poo about it because the wrong engine matches the wrong socks or some crap.
Anyone that misses it in IMAX will be sorry.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They couldn't even be bothered to get real BF109s with Daimler engines, which are available in the US and in Europe.

No cookie for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a fantastic film!

No cookie for them.
Well, in fairness, last time I checked, there were three airworthy ones left.

If I had one, I wouldn't let them use it.  

I'd rather have an FW190D-9, though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you think it's worth it to go to the IMAX version of this?  I've been meaning to
View Quote
Yes.  I did and the aerial scenes in IMAX were worth it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree, IMAX was great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a fantastic film!

No cookie for them.

In more fairness there are zero D-9's airworthy, one D-13 that is airworthy but will never fly again, you can see it taxi from time to time.
There are actually 9 airworthy 109's, 4 are actual Messerschmitt built,the other 5 are Casa's with DB605's. The reason there are so many Casa's left flying today is from the movie Battle of Britain. The Casa's were actually supposed to be powered by Daimler Benz DB series, but a fire in the warehouse destroyed them all, so they were reengineered to use Merlins.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of the rifles used in some of the scenes didn't have the period correct slings so I won't be going to see it.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw it at a Dolby Cinema theater (apparently IMAX is Harkins and Dolby Cinema is AMC) and it was great. I'll probably go see it at an IMAX before it leaves theaters. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Great movie.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I highly recommend this. There is very little dialogue. The tension is from the soundtrack. Some of the key players are not even human like the spitfire. You need to see dunkirk in theater in imax. You doubt it would be enjoyable on dvd.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
do they have the Germans talking German and subtitles??
View Quote
Very little of the germans are seen till the end. Director wanted the germans to be scarier by not being able to see them but they are shooting at you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
When you see it, pay attention.  The time lines are kind of like Pulp Fiction, but you are seeing the same events from different points of view.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In more fairness there are zero D-9's airworthy, one D-13 that is airworthy but will never fly again, you can see it taxi from time to time.
There are actually 9 airworthy 109's, 4 are actual Messerschmitt built,the other 5 are Casa's with DB605's. The reason there are so many Casa's left flying today is from the movie Battle of Britain. The Casa's were actually supposed to be powered by Daimler Benz DB series, but a fire in the warehouse destroyed them all, so they were reengineered to use Merlins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a fantastic film!

No cookie for them.

Yes, films are the reason so many warbirds, or planes that look a lot like warbirds up,to the firewall, are still around.

Catch 22 singlehandely saved almost a squadron of B25s.

I don't care for the Merlin engined 109s, but it's better than CGI.

Edit, you're from WA, there's supposed to be a nice static D9 up in Seattle, but I haven't made it up there to see it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I loved it.  Nolan has a dope ass film making style.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What a fantastic film!
View Quote

It was all CGI and shitty CGI at that.  Didn't you notice how the flight of 3 planes always banked perfectly together?  They could have used some of the many surviving spitfires but they cheaped out and it showed.

They also completely sanitized the movie of all bloodshed.   It sucked.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome movie.  I saw it opening day and will buy on BluRay
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine said the 109's are worth too much to fly em.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It was all CGI and shitty CGI at that.  Didn't you notice how the flight of 3 planes always banked perfectly together?  They could have used some of the many surviving spitfires but they cheaped out and it showed.

They also completely sanitized the movie of all bloodshed.   It sucked.
View Quote
They did use real Spits, two Mk1's and a Mk5. They used Models as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Will it make you cry like Saving Private Ryan?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I was underwhelmed. The story line was a mishmash that seriously detracted from the film. I thought it was more like a made-for-TV movie.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Great movie.  A couple of problems, but it is awesome that it isnt Hollywood in any way.  It doesn't even feel Hollywood.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Saw it and wasn't all that impressed.

The aerial scenes were a bit CGI-ish and- although the last aerial gunnery was cool- the ending was stupid in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn't like it at all. Seemed small scale and unworthy of the name.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I was offended by the lack of racial and gender diversity in the film.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, films are the reason so many warbirds, or planes that look a lot like warbirds up,to the firewall, are still around.

Edit, you're from WA, there's supposed to be a nice static D9 up in Seattle, but I haven't made it up there to see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a fantastic film!

No cookie for them.

There is, Paul Allen has it his Flying Heritage in Everett's Paine Field. It is actually airworthy, but will never fly due to it being the only D-13 left. They do on occasion take it out and taxi it, he's also restoring the only original ME262, to airworthy condition that will fly with the original Jumos!
ETA, we have 4 real good museums, with quite a few original airworthy flying examples here,
Flying Heritage
Museum of Flight
Olympic Flight Museum
Historic Flight
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I liked it but did feel it didn't capture the volume of people moved or the magnitude of the effort to retrieve them. The timeline was occasionally confusing too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:19:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Overall I liked it.
However... the bottoms of the ships that capsized... they were pretty clean, weren't they?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Good movie overall but missed an opportunity to be great. I was expecting a little more. As much as it was hyped it ended up being a letdown in some ways. The air battles were good but could have been even better. I'd like to see it again though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some of the rifles used in some of the scenes didn't have the period correct slings so I won't be going to see it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Can't stand people like that. I'm such an expert, getting minute details wrong takes me right out of the story.

That being said, "Dunkirk" wasn't very good, IMO.

Quoted:
My biggest complaint with the movie was that it just didn't tell the story of Operation Dynamo very well.

It was muddled, confusing, and almost totally lacking in context or scale.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Ships sank too fast
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
  A Dora would be just a tad out of place at Dunkirk.

The Bf-109s at Dunkirk were Es.The first round nosed Fs came into service in the fall,months after Dunkirk so using the Buchons rebuilt to F and G spec would also be improper. Getting not just the use of but insurance for either of the flying Emils was probably prohibitive. An underwriter would have to look at it and go "oh,you are simulating dogfighting? If they collide how easy will it be to replace them?" and that would be that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#36]
It was really awesome. One of the things that impressed me most only became evident to me after viewing it and realizing a few days later that it was only rated PG-13. At no time did it ever seem like a tame or toned down version of war.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No cookie for them.
View Quote
How many BF109E1 or E3 are still flying? I know of exactely 2 E3s. One in the US and the other in the UK. And anything but an E1/E3 would be just as wrong as a spanish 109.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you have that engine part confused with the czech S-199. They had their engine storage destroyed in a fire so they switched to Jumo 211 engines and thus created a really, really horrible airplane.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Saw it last night, didnt like it. Neither did the 3 other people with me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was offended by the lack of racial and gender diversity in the film.
View Quote
Yeah, where were the transgender Muslim women wearing burkas in the boat rescue scenes??
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No cookie for them.
View Quote
This.

However - the problem isnt the planes. Its qualified pilots. That aircraft flies like no other, and landing it is a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#42]
The visuals were good, but like War Horse, it was a movie sprung from the sensibilities of pajama-boy males.

I'd say anybody who liked the movie needs to pay more careful attention to the logical subtexts that are being delivered along with just beneath the more obviously engaging scenes of action violence.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No cookie for them.
View Quote
There are only 2 Bf 109E's flying right now and their both in the US. There is 1 in Britain being restored to fly but it's only 30% done. The rest of the Bf109's with Daimler engines are G variants which would not have accurate for Dunkirk anyway.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can't stand people like that. I'm such an expert, getting minute details wrong takes me right out of the story.

My biggest complaint with the movie was that it just didn't tell the story of Operation Dynamo very well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I watched in the theater.......... there was a preview shown for a Winston Churchill movie coming out in the fall(don't recall the name) that did a better job of explaining Dunkirk than "Dunkirk" did.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is how combat always is from the viewpoint of the grunt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think you have that engine part confused with the czech S-199. They had their engine storage destroyed in a fire so they switched to Jumo 211 engines and thus created a really, really horrible airplane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember reading in one of my bf109 books, that the HA-1112-M1L "Buchon", was to be powered by a Daimler Benz, and that the spares lined up for that model were among those that burned up in the fire, the original plan was to be DB powered but with the war going Germany couldn't supply any so the HA-1109-J1 was powered by a Hispano-Suiza 12Z-series, this proved less than adiquate so the plan for the HA-1112 was to switch back to the DB, but now that was unavailable so the move was made for the Merlin.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Will it make you cry like Saving Private Ryan?

Asking for a friend.
View Quote
No, it's more intense "come on, get out of there!" type scenes. Not gory, neither.  I saw it last night on Imax.  Very loud. I swear I was sweating during the whole movie. This movie has to win some awards.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
No kidding.  I saw a MAS36 with a post-war rebuild front sight.  Travesty!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#50]
We liked it too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top