Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/15/2017 11:17:13 PM EDT
Male
Husband
Father (<1 year)
Homeowner
Fit, active, high degree of *comparable* skill with firearms. Love being outdoors.
It's all I've been able to think about with seriousness for months.
Wife and I just talked about it. She's on board. Wants me to finish fall semester of school since it's paid for. Makes sense. Gives me time to work out harder.

What do I need to do, what do I need to know?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for it if the family is backing you.  I would suggest you finish your degree so you can enter as officer.  What are you majoring in?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Male
Husband
Father (<1 year)
Homeowner
Fit, active, high degree of *comparable* skill with firearms. Love being outdoors.
Wife and I just talked about it. She's on board. Wants me to finish fall semester of school since it's paid for. Makes sense. Gives me time to work out harder.

View Quote

Talk to a recruiter. Sign nothing. Research everything. Take ASVAB and determine what MOS/RATE/Jobs you qualify for. Pick one. Go to bootcamp. Prepare your family for a few months to years without you, depending on the length of your training.

And, the likely outcome from everyone i've seen who comes in late in life: Go to your first duty station, move your family. Work hard, get mad that some 21-22 year old NCO is in charge of you, promote. Go to your next duty station, work hard, promote to NCO rank. Go to your next duty station. Don't promote due to politics, get divorced. Get frustrated. Get out. Go private contractor. Make money. Stack money up. Regret getting out. Enlist back again. Finish out your 20. Retire. Get another job for keeping yourself from boredom. Get old.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go for it if the family is backing you.  I would suggest you finish your degree so you can enter as officer.  What are you majoring in?
View Quote
This is much more wise. But I've seen folks get mad on the O side too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
For the love of God, go in as an officer. I couldn't even imagine going in at 26, prob 27 by the time you ship.  Have you checked the pay scales? Maybe find a branch that will auto give you e3 for your college time if you're dead set on going enlisted.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, what do you want to do?

Step one is take the ASVAB to ensure you're able to pick the job / service you want.

Also, don't join the Army, Marines, or Navy. You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Male
Husband
Father (<1 year)
Homeowner

View Quote

While I find it honorable to want to serve, with your situation as described I would not recommend it.
Married- military is hard on marriages
young child- you do not get that time back
homeowner- stuff breaks, you will not be there to help
My .02
good luck , whatever you choose
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For the love of God, go in as an officer. I couldn't even imagine going in at 26, prob 27 by the time you ship.  Have you checked the pay scales? Maybe find a branch that will auto give you e3 for your college time if you're dead set on going enlisted.
View Quote
Absolutely this.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Went in at 18 and out at 22. Got out had a family and all that jazz im 30 now. I couldn't imagine joining if I had kids I never knew how some of my buddies did it. It seemed like every time one of my buddies kids had a birthday or there was a wedding anniversary we were in the field or we were on deployment. That being said as a single soldier I had the best time of my life. I was a 63b and ending up working on strykers and doing a shit ton of recovery ops. Spent time in ft Lewis and in Germany then deployed.  Since you have a family all I can suggest is research the shit out of everything and have your wife talk to military wife's to get an idea of what it's like. I don't think it was that bad for my buddies wife's when we were state side but once we got to Germany and then deployed I'm sure it sucked for them. I've been out since 2009 and out of the five guys in my platoon that I spent my four years with as of today only 1 of those five are still married. Take it with a grain of salt. If It were me at your age and family status I'd join the state police force or a local pd.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Pick a job that will teach you a trade that is Employable once you get out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Gonna be rough on your marriage. Just part of the deal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's your calling, it's your calling. Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I scored very high on the ASVAB in high school. For some reason we were required to take it.

I've wanted to be military since I was 6. No shit. 6.
I've always put other things first that didn't belong there.
I love this country and I wouldn't be able to live without a great deal of regret if I never served.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#14]
How many hours you got OP?  Army Guard commissions @ 90 hours.  Finish your degree before you can make Captain.

I will miss my boy's birthday every year until I get out, b/c AT will always fall on his birthday.

If you already have a house, Guard/Reserves may make your life much easier.  There are 7 Reserve/Guard services to choose from, possibly more depending on how close you live to another state.  How portable is your wife's profession?  Do you like moving every 2-3 years?  Probably not, as you've already bought a house...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Good on you for wanting to serve but just be aware of the pros/cons. With a family, it's a much bigger commitment than you might imagine.

First off, any ideas as to what you'd want to do in the military, or even a particular branch? That would likely have a huge difference in whether it was the best idea ever, or the worst

I can only speak from the AF side. We tend to treat our E-nothings better than the other services (There's a few career fields that suck more than others of course). I have 3 troops who were in your boat ("older" and already with a good bit of life under their belt) To be fair, they're some of the best people I have though maybe I'm just lucky. Also, there's many jobs out there that you would probably hate given your situation, whether it's hours/shiftwork/ops tempo/etc. As others have said, E-nothings don't make too much. Just be prepared for that. I don't know if the wife works, or has a relatively transferable job but should you decide to go longer than 4 years, you will likely move at least once (notwithstanding deployment or OS short tour) so if she has a kick-ass job winning all the bread, got some bad news if the military still has time on you.

As for the O-side, a lot of benefits there but some additional ass-pain and higher expectations as well. If you're only wanting a 4-yr and done stint, the O route may not be for you. (I know a couple O-2 types that are getting out the instant they can). It's more pay, but also a lot more BS to deal with. It also might be worth it more if it happens to align with what you want to do after your service commitment is up as employers might prefer bars over stripes.

Good luck with however you decide. PM me if you have any AF-specific questions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Male
Husband
Father (<1 year)
Homeowner

View Quote

Is she truly on board or is she just being supportive and telling you what makes the you happy? I can't imagine raising baby solo if I didn't absolutely have to.

eta: keep in mind that she might feel a duty to support your dreams and a deep desire to make you happy and follow your lead. It's awesome if she adores you and wants to make you happy, but it might keep her from looking at the situation objectively and prevent her from admitting to herself how she actually feels. It would suck for her to sign up for this and then realize she can't hack it, no matter how bad she wishes she could.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I scored very high on the ASVAB in high school. For some reason we were required to take it.

I love this country and I wouldn't be able to live without a great deal of regret if I never served.
View Quote
What's worse: the risk of your regret or the risk of screwing up your kid by not being there/getting divorced?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One word.

INFANTRY
View Quote
You are gonna be done with school? Should be two words - Infantry Officer

I.E. Be looking at OTS, not an enlistment.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Same age but I have been out for a few years and was just a dumb grunt but...

Time to give up the dream, you have a family now.

Your chances of getting a combat deployment are miniscule compared to the odds of you getting a divorce. 

To put it nicely your timing is fucked.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#22]
My advice is to be sure of what you want and don't compromise on that.  Not every person with a degree should be commissioned, and not everyone wants the officer life.  There is nothing wrong with enlisting with a commission.

I'd ask yourself what you want to do while you're in, and what you want to have on your resume when you get out.

Enlisted is a good choice if you want a guaranteed job description and to be a person who "does" the job.  You can walk into a recruiter's office and sign the line for a specific MOS.  The job you'll be doing will be operator level at first, and work into leadership roles.  You can do a 20 year career on the enlisted side at the platoon level, doing the job you signed up for.

On the officer side you won't get 100% control in your MOS and your job will be much more generalized.  The Army (or whichever branch) may decide your job for you.  You will learn branch/MOS tasks as a Lieutenant, but at the end of the day you are an administrator.  At best you'll get about 4 years at the platoon level doing the job, after that will be mostly staff work.  Officer work is extremely rewarding, generally has a higher quality of life, but comes at the cost of longer hours and tedious office work.

I know several people who would have been very happy being enlisted in the Army but were pushed towards the commissioned side because they were in college.  I know a couple who dropped their ROTC contract and enlisted.  For me, commissioning was the right choice, but it isn't for everyone.

Short answer, if you want to be the cool guy and do cool guy stuff, enlist.  If you want to lead soldiers and learn a thing or two about management, and collect a bigger paycheck, seek a commission.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#23]
IMHO your child should be the most important thing to you.  What does it say about you as a father if you are choosing to possibly be gone from that child for year/s long deployment.. Let the single without children 18 year olds enlist.  Stay home and love your kid.  We have Nukes, and an unchecked naval superiority.  Noone presents a danger to the homeland.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread is completely full of bad advice.

"Join the Air Force." Then they list all the things that are just like civilian life.  If you want to be a civilian, why the fuck would you enlist?

"Pick an MOS that converts to a civilian job."  If you want to learn a trade, look at trade schools or the union hall.  If your goal is good money for honest work, that apprenticeship is a better deal than the state university or the recruiters office.

"Be an officer."  I hope you like being a staff officer and doing Power Point and bullshit 12 or 14 hours a day, because your command time is gonna be limited and the cool guy shit ain't your job...  "But, but, but the pension is bigger."  Guess what, the 20 year pension is gone now.  

The reason to join the military is because you want to be cool, do cool guy shit, go cool guy places and coolly kick ass as a cool guy.  That means infantry.   Some of the jobs that support the infantry, like armor or the Special Forces are semi-cool, so maybe.

So...

If you're doing this, do it, be at the tip of the spear, or just be a civilian.

If that ain't what you want, you don't need the military.

You can solder widgets or push papers in the regular world without 1/10 the hassles.

Be a grunt or stay home.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"Join the Air Force." Then they list all the things that are just like civilian life.  If you want to be a civilian, why the fuck would you enlist?

"Pick an MOS that converts to a civilian job."  If you want to learn a trade, look at trade schools or the union hall.  If your goal is good money for honest work, that apprenticeship is a better deal than the state university or the recruiters office.

"Be an officer."  I hope you like being a staff officer and doing Power Point and bullshit 12 or 14 hours a day, because your command time is gonna be limited and the cool guy shit ain't your job...  "But, but, but the pension is bigger."  Guess what, the 20 year pension is gone now.  

The reason to join the military is because you want to be cool, do cool guy shit, go cool guy places and coolly kick ass as a cool guy.  That means infantry.   Some of the jobs that support the infantry, like armor or the Special Forces are semi-cool, so maybe.

So...

You can solder widgets or push papers in the regular world without 1/10 the hassles.

Be a grunt or stay home.
View Quote
Truth.

I'll follow that up by saying there's no way I'd go into it married with kids unless WW3 kicked off and bodies were needed bigly.

It was cool as a young single guy though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:08:13 AM EDT
[#26]
How much school do you have left?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:11:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't go back in unless and until they de-Obama the military.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:12:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are gonna be done with school? Should be two words - Infantry Officer

I.E. Be looking at OTS, not an enlistment.
View Quote
per sylvan, infantry officer is only fun for a couple of years, after which it sucks so bad that you reach sylvan-like levels of joy and good cheer.

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:37:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Go guard.

Kid, wife, home responsibility means you will have to split your attention.  If you enlist, prepare the family for section 8, welfare, and WIC.

Low grade enlisted is for young single men without encumbrances.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go guard.

Kid, wife, home responsibility means you will have to split your attention.  If you enlist, prepare the family for section 8, welfare, and WIC.

Times have changed, "low grade enlisted" make $45k/yr now.  The only reason they qualify for WIC is they don't include housing allowance or BAS in the calculation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:40:35 AM EDT
[#31]
What Branch of our fine services would you like to join???????????????????
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So...

Be a grunt or stay home.
View Quote
That's why you should go Coast Guard Officer.  No staff work until you are at least a mid-grade O-3, and the Coasties get command time early and often.  I'd usually say Surface Navy, but you won't see a command billet until you hit at least 15 - 18 years in.  Officers in the sea services are the ones that do most of the cool guy stuff.  "Sea" being used liberally in the case of the Coasties. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:51:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

While I find it honorable to want to serve, with your situation as described I would not recommend it.
My .02
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My .02
This ^^^^

But if you must..

Quoted:
Then this ^

ETA: Also take a long hard look at the Reserves. Best of both worlds
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:07:11 AM EDT
[#34]
OP wanna fly helicopters as a warrant officer? are you non-retarded when it comes to basic physics & meteorology?

You can swing it with a mere HS diploma (in the Army atleast), though college credits will help you immensely. Then again, pilot jobs pay SHIT in the real world back home. 1/87 might pay 50k a year if you're in the cool kids club. That bullshit marketing propaganda on "we need pilots, everyone else is now 85 years old and retired!" is exactly BS per experience.

I look at the military as a sort of late teens / early 20s MEANING/EXISTENTIAL pursuit to enhance yourself at a foundational level (i.e. values, permanent purpose, etc) for decades to come. I would not re-enlist unless i were 19 again with fantastic knees & shins and wanted to go blow shit up for a few years. As a career for 8-20 years? Not intellectually stimulating enough if you ask me personally. It may be your thing though. I did infantry in 2010. My entire lower body is permanently fucked up to this day (have to wear custom orthotics, gel soles, cannot run on concrete, cannot physically walk without stretching) after a mere 11 weeks of basic. If your lower body, especially your calves, are not up to snuff then you will gain nothing financially or spiritually. Prey for your knees if you enlist in a combat mos as a 26 year old.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:15:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
One word.

INFANTRY
View Quote
You want to watch the world burn,..admit it
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Options I see working for you:

National Guard

College Option OCS if you finish school

ROTC if your school has it an you aren't too far along.

Army Aviation street to seat (AKA...high school to flight school) if you can pass the flight physical and flight altitude skills test.

IM me if you have any questions. Not a recruiter and will gove you my no BS opinion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:49:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

National Guard

Army Aviation street to seat (AKA...high school to flight school) if you can pass the flight physical and flight altitude skills test.

IM me if you have any questions. Not a recruiter and will gove you my no BS opinion.
View Quote
OP, seriously consider this as my last post stated. Army is the easiest way to fly helicopters w/out a degree. You do NOT have to be a wiz kid aeronautics major nor even a science major, you just have to posses the ability of abstracting the physics of aerodynamics (this does not mean crazy theoretical math by any means, trust me, i have many hours with a damn unstable R22 in highly volatile conditions at high altitude). But, do NOT consider anything pertaining to flying things if you do not have a passion for it. Being a "fucking badass pilot" ain't enough of a reason, you have to want it a little more than that to succeed, it has to be sort of a destiny or prophecy that forces you to try harder than everyone else if you want guaranteed success. Otherwise if you fail flight school youre stuck with whatever bullshit  non-warrant officer position the Army "sees fit" of you for your contract.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:59:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I came to post.
I was a Grunt and not many people were looking for people that were really good at killing other people.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

On a real note, I went 11b. Best thing I ever did.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Male
Husband
Father (<1 year)

Homeowner

View Quote

lol

Pass

If you're wanting to join to escape/change your situation, it's a good choice.

You'll probably windup divorced and have 0 time for school while in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#41]
I wouldn't do it.

My family comes first...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

National Guard

View Quote
There's actually a lot of programs right now for Air Force ROTC that didn't exist a couple years ago. They have two and one year programs right now because the Air Force is trying to drastically increase their number of Officers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I joined at 28, the stupid hurts sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#44]
No offense to cms81586, but fuck being an officer unless it's a career field that requires a graduate degree. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being enlisted. If you want combat arms, and your body can handle the abuse, do it. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I joined at 28, the stupid hurts sometimes.
View Quote

So did my brother, but he is an aircraft mechanic like me.  He has more herniated disks and worse knees, but it's a close contest.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Times have changed, "low grade enlisted" make $45k/yr now.  The only reason they qualify for WIC is they don't include housing allowance or BAS in the calculation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go guard.

Are you a recruiter because that's an out right lie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was a Grunt and not many people were looking for people that were really good at killing other people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leadership, drive, mental endurance are just a few things grunts excel at.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Sorry OP but I'm going to be honest.

Your 26. I went to boot camp with a 30 year old and served with guys who enlisted around your age. Nothing wrong with it at face value. It was also at the start of the gwot.

Why enlist now? You've had the last 8 years to enlist during a time of war that we needed bodies. Now that you have a wife and a kid you want to join. I really don't get it.

If you wanted to enlist since you were 6 than you would have signed paperwork on your 18th birthday like the rest of us.

If you do enlist I wish your marriage luck.

What do you do now and what are you going to school for?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you a recruiter because that's an out right lie.
View Quote
Married E-4?  No problem getting to $45K.  Way more if you consider cash value of the medical benefit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top