Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2017 4:20:48 PM EDT
Can't find the glasses or shade 14 welding googles?

Neither can I.

But, since you're on Arfcom, you've got a spotting scope, right?

Right.

First off:

DON'T LOOK AT THE SUN THROUGH THE EYEPIECE.  

What are you, fucking retarded?

Anyways, here's a Youtube video that explains it:

How to Make a Solar Eclipse & Sun Viewer I Exploratorium

Also, this article explains it:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/how-to-look-at-sun.html

Projection with a Telescope or Binoculars

A small telescope or a pair of binoculars without a solar filter can be used instead of a pinhole to project the Sun's image onto a white screen. Obviously it is strictly forbidden to look through the eyepiece while aiming the telescope. Just move it around until you see the Sun's image pop at the projection screen. A cardboard blocking screen can be used in order to block the direct sunlight and increase contrast (see illustration).

It is highly recommended to use only small telescopes or binoculars for solar projection (under 80mm), since the gathered sunlight may easily damage the internal components of a larger instrument. I'd also avoid using this method with expensive, higher end instruments regardless of their aperture. Also such a telescope shouldn't be left unattended since someone may accidentally look through it, or a fire might start from the focused sunlight.

The resulting image will be much brighter, sharper and larger than from a pinhole, since the telescope gathers more light, magnifies the image and allows to focus it. You might be able to see some solar surface details (such as sunspots) or even silhouettes of the lunar mountains during an eclipse - see examples below of projected solar images made during a partial eclipse of 2005 with a cheap Bushnell 60mm spotting scope and a sheet of white paper.

View Quote
Basically you're going to need:

Spotting Scope
Camera Tripod
Viewing Paper/Poster board
Sunblock Cardboard

If you do it right, you can maybe pull something like this off:

Hi Rez Image

Way better than the glasses and everyone can look at it.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I may test this if I get a chance, as the glasses I got are now on the suspect list.

I briefly looked thru them and they met the standard quoted (can't see anything through them, not even bright lights, except the sun).
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I may test this if I get a chance, as the glasses I got are now on the suspect list.

I briefly looked thru them and they met the standard quoted (can't see anything through them, not even bright lights, except the sun).
View Quote
Honestly, if I can get an image like the one above, I think that it'd be way better than just staring at the sun with glasses.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This looks like a good way to go to me as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll work but will probably get the eyepiece end hot as hell.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It'll work but will probably get the eyepiece end hot as hell.
View Quote
My spotting scope sucks so hard a flaming eyepiece while viewing the eclipse would be the coolest thing it's ever done.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My spotting scope sucks so hard a flaming eyepiece while viewing the eclipse would be the coolest thing it's ever done.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder...I have glasses...could I put a small hole in a piece of cardboard, cover the front end of the spotting scope with it, then cover the pinhole with a piece of the eclipse glasses...then could I view a magnified eclipse through it by actually looking through the spotting scope?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
maybe good in theory, how do you aim and find the sun in the first place without going blind? aiming the scope via the board would not be easy
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder...I have glasses...could I put a small hole in a piece of cardboard, cover the front end of the spotting scope with it, then cover the pinhole with a piece of the eclipse glasses...then could I view a magnified eclipse through it by actually looking through the spotting scope?
View Quote
Sure, your future.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
my eyes looked like that after a few benders in teh .mil!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done that for previous eclipses.
It works well
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Did it for the Venus transit and could make out sunspot too..

Photobucket at my pics tho...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I highly recommend against projecting with a setup like this. About fifteen years ago during a period of high sunspot activity I mounted some brackets on a piece of 2 X10 to position a cheap scope to place the image on a predrawn circle on a piece of paper so I could hand draw the sunspots each day at the same time so I could follow  the activity over time. What I ended up doing was melting some plastic bracket in the scopes interior getting a smoke filled tube and mis-alignning some lenses.
That was my experience yours might be better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was a kid, we used this set up. Worked well enough.

Attachment Attached File

Edit spelling
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I highly recommend against projecting with a setup like this. About fifteen years ago during a period of high sunspot activity I mounted some brackets on a piece of 2 X10 to position a cheap scope to place the image on a predrawn circle on a piece of paper so I could hand draw the sunspots each day at the same time so I could follow  the activity over time. What I ended up doing was melting some plastic bracket in the scopes interior getting a smoke filled tube and mis-alignning some lenses.
That was my experience yours might be better.
View Quote
This for sure

You can absolutely overhead a scope this way!

Now if you are near the path of totality and don't place your setup until it is 2/3 obscured, then it might be safer...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have already viewed a solar eclipse using my phone, taking pictures, and it did not burn up the camera components. A very practical means to view the sun. 

Now the experts state the camera components will burn up. Is this BS and anyone else do this?

I might just use welding glass and a phone next time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Soooo .  .  . and I'm certain that I could Google this and find the answer, but  .  .  .

What if you had a 5" reflector telescope set-up, with an attached digital camera, and tried to take actual photos of the eclipse with it.

Would you fry your camera?

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Soooo .  .  . and I'm certain that I could Google this and find the answer, but  .  .  .

What if you had a 5" reflector telescope set-up, with an attached digital camera, and tried to take actual photos of the eclipse with it.

Would you fry your camera?

View Quote
Check that article I linked, I think they talk about making homemade filters...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting

Subed for later reading
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
so you have a Tasco 20-60x spotting scope too, eh?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Was here in GD that somebody suggested making a puddle and watching the eclipse on the surface of the water?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#24]
This works, but keep in mind the eyepiece gets NUCLEAR hot after a few minutes so don't leave it set up for an hour or anything unless you like the smell of melted plastic.  I'm using a mirror instead.  Looks great setup at the end of the driveway and projected on the garage wall:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh1/transit.htm

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Cool!

This thread gave me a reason to break out a brand new Bushnell spotting scope and tripod that I got at work for 30 years service.

Pics coming.

Pretty cool observing the fast rotation of the earth. Within just a few seconds the suns image is off the canvas.

Those that are curious , I have the scope at 18x. It gives a nice 10" or so view. I tried up to 36x but the image was too large for my canvas ( screen).
I haven't found anything large and white in the house . Also I would have to increase the shield to create a shadow on the scope.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cool!

This thread gave me a reason to break out a brand new Bushnell spotting scope and tripod that I got at work for 30 years service.

Pics coming.

http://i.imgur.com/5XAUJXU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xye6vjW.jpg

Pretty cool observing the fast rotation of the earth. Within just a few seconds the suns image is off the canvas.

Those that are curious , I have the scope at 18x. It gives a nice 10" or so view. I tried up to 36x but the image was too large for my canvas ( screen).
I haven't found anything large and white in the house . Also I would have to increase the shield to create a shadow on the scope.
View Quote

I'm going to go to Walmart and pick up a big sheet of white posterboard.

I'll let you know how that works.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool!

Pics coming.

http://i.imgur.com/5XAUJXU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xye6vjW.jpg

I'm going to look around the house a little more. I'm sure I have something larger, and can zoom to 36x.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm going to look around the house a little more. I'm sure I have something larger, and can zoom to 36x.
View Quote
I just got mine set up, it looks like 15X gives the best brightness and ease of viewing, you can up the magnification but it gets too light on the whiteboard.

I get about a good 6" sun and I can see sunspots.

Tomorrow should be sweet if we don't get cloud cover...in AZ...

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Or you could have just bought ISO 12312-2 eclipse glasses a month ago when they were $2 a piece. Iirc we knew this eclipse was coming for quite a long time. Hell, we have another April 8, 2024 that is going south to north across the country.

Got mine from Lunt Solar Systems first of july

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Cardboard collar and reduced hole on primary lens.

Wire mounted straw bent to make aligning easier (I will not be around for the event, so had to make it easier for wife/daughter to align)

You have to stand and block the sun on the projection paper, but it is awesome...easy to see the sunspots.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#32]
This is how my son & I viewed the transit of Venus in 2012.

You can see sun spots too. It's pretty cool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Awesome, I get to try out my new $38 Amazon spotting scope.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Or you could have just bought ISO 12312-2 eclipse glasses a month ago when they were $2 a piece. Iirc we knew this eclipse was coming for quite a long time. Hell, we have another April 8, 2024 that is going south to north across the country.

Got mine from Lunt Solar Systems first of july

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277883/IMG_0501-285751.JPG
View Quote
You can see sunspots with those?  

And the crater walls on the moon?

Wow!

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a 70's era Tasco pos telescope I have used numerous times with a screw on sun viewing filter (screws to the magnifier) and nothing has ever melted or caught on fire.

Of course everything is accounted for but the fucking filter which is mia. I am going to use this method, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm actually set up to do this.
I tried it out yesterday and I could easily see the Sun spots.
Unfortunately, I'm in AZ and it's raining right now and supposed to be overcast in the morning... 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Why go thru all that trouble, just watch on real-time streamed on the internet. In my 'berg, they are having a eclipse watching party at the local library staffed by amateur astronomers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

My buddy has a cheap pair of binos. I wonder if he'll sacrifice them for the cause.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why go thru all that trouble, just watch on real-time streamed on the internet. In my 'berg, they are having a eclipse watching party at the local library staffed by amateur astronomers.
View Quote
I guess for the same reason I like going to the Reno Air Races, or the Nascar Races, or the Indy Car Races - or any sports game!
Yeah, you can watch it on TV but it's nothing like seeing right there in person - and yeah for those of us who love space, seeing it live in real time is something that you just can't get from watching it on a stupid monitor!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm actually set up to do this.
I tried it out yesterday and I could easily see the Sun spots.
Unfortunately, I'm in AZ and it's raining right now and supposed to be overcast in the morning... 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Eclipse-285837.JPG
View Quote
Can you believe that shit?

It's been cloudless in the morning for days and weeks and oh, there's a solar eclipse.

Let's be overcast.

WTF man?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I guess for the same reason I like going to the Reno Air Races, or the Nascar Races, or the Indy Car Races - or any sports game!
Yeah, you can watch it on TV but it's nothing like seeing right there in person - and yeah for those of us who love space, seeing it live in real time is something that you just can't get from watching it on a stupid monitor!
View Quote
Except in those other cases watching live provides more detail...not less. People are literally discussing how best to watch a shadow. The pros with high dollar equipment will provide the best images for us average Joe's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Except in those other cases watching live provides more detail...not less. People are literally discussing how best to watch a shadow. The pros with high dollar equipment will provide the best images for us average Joe's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever - I guess you still just don't get it.
I can watch those things you talk about over and over again later, just like someone can watch a car race over and over again later.
It's the watching it in person in real time for those of us who are 'hardcore' that counts.
We can all go back and watch all the 'high tech' videos later....
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So play on your phone just like you are now. The adults are talking. Maybe you can check out some Spongebob videos on Youtube?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I just got some film/filter sheet from Amazon and made filters for my camera that has mad soon/MPs, I use the view screen so no risk of torched eyeballs. Already took some test pics today and the sun almost fills the image vertically, so it should be a nice close view. Amped for tomorrow!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuckin mad at myself I didn't find this thread sooner.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#48]
You think it would work with 10x binos?

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You think it would work with 10x binos?

View Quote
It should, you just have to block one lens.

Just know you'll need to be able to tripod mount it, it's impossible to hold it still enough freehand.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey kid!!!  You'll burn your eye out!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top