Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/15/2017 10:15:45 AM EDT
Last Monday I jumped on the PSA PA10 sales going on. I ended up getting the 18'' SS Mlok upper and gen 2 lower. Total price with dealer transfer was about $650. I also order a SIG Whiskey 3 optic to try since Cabelas had them on sale for $119 and figured if it sucks I can throw it on one of my .22's. I threw the optic in a Burris PEPR, not my favorite mount but I had one in my parts bin and this is a budget build.

Today I got it to the range and put 380 rounds through it, of all types of ammo without a single malfunction. The gun did seem a bit over gassed but it was manageable and as I said no malfunctions so I don't plan to do anything about that.  I ran some of the shittiest ammo I could find through it to really test the function.

Ammo shot:

Surplus Brass 147gr FMJ
Brown Bear lacquered steel 145gr Soft point
Perfecta brass 150gr  soft point
Tula steel 165gr soft point
Federal Gold Medal Match Brass 168gr.

Range setup/ Procedure

Front Bi pod and rear Caldwell bag. I first established a 50yd. (first berm where the jug is) zero to make sure I was on paper and get the windage on center. After I was centered I pushed back to the 100yd far berm and shot groups.

The worst group fired was with the Tula 165gr. SP which was a hair above 3'' sans one flyer

The best group as expected was the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. Which was right at MOA, There is a video of me shooting this group, which was a fairly rapid fire when going for groups.

Every other ammo was somewhere in between. I only had about 4 random rounds of the brown bear so didn't really shoot a group with that although I suspect it probably would have been a bit worse than the tula based on the 4 shots that I did fire.

Summary

For an all in price of <$800 including the optic I couldn't be more pleased. I know 380 rounds is hardly a test of reliability for the long haul but this will primarily be used for deer hunting so it seeing a super high or rapid fire round count is unlikely. I will admit I was very skeptical based on the reports but so far I am happy. If you're on the fence about getting one I would FO before they switch to the PX10 and the prices increase.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#1]
In before "muh 6.5" guys shit in this great thread.

Great range report. 380 rounds of .308 is legit. Makes me question dropping $2k on my LMT, but then, the PSA wasn't available back then.

Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you're on the fence about getting one I would FO before they switch to the PX10 and the prices increase.
View Quote

What does the PX10 bring to the table?  While I am allured of getting a cheap 308 AR, I'm also interested in getting newer features if available.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the review!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What does the PX10 bring to the table?  While I am allured of getting a cheap 308 AR, I'm also interested in getting newer features if available.
View Quote
The PX10 is a small frame like the DPMS G2, in fact the early release pics look like an exact copy and there has been un proven speculation that DPMS are making their uppers/lowers for the PX10
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]
With the right FCG you could really shirnk those groups and cut down of fliers.

You may want to fire it fast to see how it groups hot.

It is a good idea tok now how the groups open as the barrel gets hot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting this!

I've been considering buying one but didn't know how they were.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice report and nice looking rifle.
What's the weight of your rifle set up as-is?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did 250ish of the rounds fired today was the 147gr M80 surplus since I have a ton of it. I got the barrel nice and hot to where it was far too hot to touch and a nice heat mirage was coming off. The groups opened a bit but not too much.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very nice report and nice looking rifle.
What's the weight of your rifle set up as-is?
View Quote
without the bi-pod it was 10-3/4 lbs with a loaded mag. I didn't weigh it with the bi-pod but add another pound give or take for it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That range looks familiar LOL.
View Quote
Just a bit I need to renew my rifle and pistol club membership so I can stretch its legs, but its hard to beat $25 dollars annual VS. $200 or so for the rifle and pistol club.

On a separate note I had that gun I got from you last year with the 18'' criterion barrel last week and that thing is quite the shooter! It has been in the safe since we traded.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet yoga mat.  

Good info.  I really want to fo on one of these, but don't want to spend the cash.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweet yoga mat.  

Good info.  I really want to fo on one of these, but don't want to spend the cash.
View Quote
I usually just lay on the ground but it was wet as shit from the dew and it happened to be in the car. My wife is going to be pissed its all muddy
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]
>>scrolls down to see if 3,5, or 10 shot groups.
>>see 5 shot groups
>>close thread
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Happy to see this as I actually just ordered the exact same rifle upper/lower. I got some magpul front and rear sights for mine also. Not much for an optic yet, but I did buy a couple of the strikefire 2 red dots since they came with a heap of free pmags.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the write up. I panicked last year and got a Maten lower. For just the cost of the Maten upper and lower, i can get a complete PSA ar10...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Not to be a party poopers, but won't the taxman be upset if you buy two halves together on purpose?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#20]
A $650 MOA shooting 308 AR with a rail that takes reliable $16 hi-cap mags - it's a fine time to be a gun nut. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
>>see 5 shot groups
>>close thread
View Quote
I mean I have a target that I put an entire 20 round mag into about a softball size circle if that would appease you? There has been a ton of questions about this gun and not a lot of information especially on the gen2 revisions. I shot several common types of ammo through it with *some* groups to show people potential accuracy. This wasn't an accuracy or precision test by any means or I would not have been shooting nearly as fast as I was this was an over all functions (since there  have been questions of reliability and extraction and ejection issues) and *some* group shooting, Feel free to go jerk off in the MOA all day challenge thread, that isn't what this is about .
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not to be a party poopers, but won't the taxman be upset if you buy two halves together on purpose?
View Quote
wut.jpg
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not following what you're referring to here?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#26]
First of all, Great Set-Up..!   Bro, 1 moa on a budget rig..?  I can only imagine what you could do with a top tier stick.

Congrats..!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#28]
OST.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Last Monday I jumped on the PSA PA10 sales going on. I ended up getting the 18'' SS Mlok upper and gen 2 lower. Total price with dealer transfer was about $650. I also order a SIG Whiskey 3 optic to try since Cabelas had them on sale for $119 and figured if it sucks I can throw it on one of my .22's. I threw the optic in a Burris PEPR, not my favorite mount but I had one in my parts bin and this is a budget build.

http://i.imgur.com/PBoImDG.jpg

Today I got it to the range and put 380 rounds through it, of all types of ammo without a single malfunction. The gun did seem a bit over gassed but it was manageable and as I said no malfunctions so I don't plan to do anything about that.  I ran some of the shittiest ammo I could find through it to really test the function.

Ammo shot:

Surplus Brass 147gr FMJ
Brown Bear lacquered steel 145gr Soft point
Perfecta brass 150gr  soft point
Tula steel 165gr soft point
Federal Gold Medal Match Brass 168gr.

Range setup/ Procedure

Front Bi pod and rear Caldwell bag. I first established a 50yd. (first berm where the jug is) zero to make sure I was on paper and get the windage on center. After I was centered I pushed back to the 100yd far berm and shot groups.
http://i.imgur.com/YWqB2B0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LHtPYII.jpg

The worst group fired was with the Tula 165gr. SP which was a hair above 3'' sans one flyer

http://i.imgur.com/3E3gWqc.jpg?1

The best group as expected was the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. Which was right at MOA, There is a video of me shooting this group, which was a fairly rapid fire when going for groups.

http://i.imgur.com/F5mzQG0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxolS4DOiY

Every other ammo was somewhere in between. I only had about 4 random rounds of the brown bear so didn't really shoot a group with that although I suspect it probably would have been a bit worse than the tula based on the 4 shots that I did fire.

Summary

For an all in price of <$800 including the optic I couldn't be more pleased. I know 380 rounds is hardly a test of reliability for the long haul but this will primarily be used for deer hunting so it seeing a super high or rapid fire round count is unlikely. I will admit I was very skeptical based on the reports but so far I am happy. If you're on the fence about getting one I would FO before they switch to the PX10 and the prices increase.
View Quote

380 rounds is like 350 more rounds than the average hunter fires through the life of their bolt gun
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#30]
OP thanks for posting this!  I have the exact same setup except Keymod.  I have run about 100 give or take rounds through mine.  I had lots of issues at first but was able to get them worked out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

380 rounds is like 350 more rounds than the average hunter fires through the life of their bolt gun
View Quote
Something about having a 20 round detachable mag makes the ammo go..quickly the inner grunt and child in me cant stop smiling, my wallet hates it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the review.

I ordered the $560 "MLOK" version yesterday and wasn't sure how reliable/accurate they were.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In before "muh 6.5" guys shit in this great thread.

Great range report. 380 rounds of .308 is legit. Makes me question dropping $2k on my LMT, but then, the PSA wasn't available back then.

Nice rifle!
View Quote
Are you referring to 6.5 Grendel? I have been looking at that caliber and the price of ammo and decided to go that route.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Just got my upper yesterday, still holding off on buying the lower because my cc is smoking. I got the $299 upper with stainless barrel but with fsb.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
wut.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wut.jpg
There's an 11% federal excise tax on firearms, paid by the manufacturer.  If you buy a $650 assembled firearm the manufacturer owes Uncle Sam $71.50.  If you buy a $30 stripped receiver today and $620 of parts tomorrow from the same guy the manufacturer owes Uncle Sam $3.30.  This is partly why building your own is so economical.  PSA and others used to decline to sell you both a stripped receiver and a parts kit in the same transaction for fear of getting dicked by the feds for tax evasion, I don't know if that's still the case.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There's an 11% federal excise tax on firearms, paid by the manufacturer.  If you buy a $650 assembled firearm the manufacturer owes Uncle Sam $71.50.  If you buy a $30 stripped receiver today and $620 of parts tomorrow from the same guy the manufacturer owes Uncle Sam $3.30.  This is partly why building your own is so economical.  PSA and others used to decline to sell you both a stripped receiver and a parts kit in the same transaction for fear of getting dicked by the feds for tax evasion, I don't know if that's still the case.
View Quote
Since you can ship all the parts to your house and the receiver has to go to a dealer, it is easier to do two transactions.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're on the fence about getting one I would FO before they switch to the PX10 and the prices increase.

I'm gonna say that's what it brings to the table...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Just goes to show you don't need to spend a fortune to get a good shooting .308 rifle. Palmetto makes good stuff.

I've always found it funny how the majority of haters have never owned nor shot a PSA rifle but feel qualified to trash them. Mine have all functioned 100% after hundreds of rounds.

Nice detailed range report and very good shooting skills.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just goes to show you don't need to spend a fortune to get a good shooting .308 rifle. Palmetto makes good stuff.

I've always found it funny how the majority of haters have never owned nor shot a PSA rifle but feel qualified to trash them.
Mine have all functioned 100% after hundreds of rounds.

Nice detailed range report and very good shooting skills.
View Quote

PSA is smart, sell high volume at low prices
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I did 250ish of the rounds fired today was the 147gr M80 surplus since I have a ton of it. I got the barrel nice and hot to where it was far too hot to touch and a nice heat mirage was coming off. The groups opened a bit but not too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like what I am seeing.

how much does your rifle weigh?
Asked and Answered already.

I saw on the PSA web site that the A3 mid length standard 18"  GII carbine weights 10 pounds unloaded.

seems odd considering the DPMS version weights less than 8 pounds.

Maybe they weighed it with a loaded 25 round magazine, which is what it ships with.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Because he built a gun? Yeah no there's no problem with that. Only if he illegally built an NFA gun but he didn't.
View Quote
Excise tax.

It's not exactly unknown.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Perfect timing to find this post! Thanks for sharing as I ordered the same rifle sunday.

I ordered it sunday, the upper shipped Monday and will be here Wednesday,  how long did it take to get your lower? Just curious

Thanks for the range report
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Cool stuff! If I didn't hate them as a company is probably pick one up.

Thanks for the review!

I don't know much about ar10s but does PSA use their own spec or DPMS (I think?) Specs?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like what I am seeing.

I saw on the PSA web site that the A3 mid length standard 18"  GII carbine weights 10 pounds unloaded.

Maybe they weighed it with a loaded 25 round magazine, which is what it ships with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like what I am seeing.

The DPMS version is small frame hence the lighter weight which is what the new px10 will be. BUT I lift so 11 pounds isn't bad
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wut.jpg
Weird, I have never heard of that being a thing or anyone ever getting in trouble for that. Seems like a stretch when both are legal to own and sounds dumb. That would be like me building a home built trailer which I have done and perfectly legal and then getting in trouble for not buying a trailer from a dealer because I didn't have to pay sales tax on it.  And if that is the case , then they shouldn't sell the barreled upper and lowers for less than the complete gun costs. The gun complete at pictured is $699 if you buy it together but buying separate saved over $100 which is a few boxes of ammo so of course I am going to save money if I can.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
>>see 5 shot groups
>>close thread
View Quote
Clearly a 5 moa rifle he's hiding behind those groups.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Weird, I have never heard of that being a thing or anyone ever getting in trouble for that. Seems like a stretch when both are legal to own and sounds dumb. That would be like me building a home built trailer which I have done and perfectly legal and then getting in trouble for not buying a trailer from a dealer because I didn't have to pay sales tax on it.  And if that is the case , then they shouldn't sell the barreled upper and lowers for less than the complete gun costs. The gun complete at pictured is $699 if you buy it together but buying separate saved over $100 which is a few boxes of ammo so of course I am going to save money if I can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wut.jpg
I can remember when Palmetto was doing that (may still, I don't know).  If you bought a kit and a stripped lower together you were charged more than if you bought them separately.

Good review.  I have a Palmetto Freedom line AR15 and it has run everything I fed it.  Accuracy is better than I thought it would be as well.  Owned this rifle for years and never cleaned it yet it still keeps going.  I have noticed an oddity (in a good way) with it.  I have AR's from several manufacturers and the Palmetto is the only one that does not have chipped anodizing despite being abused far more than the others.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The PX10 is a small frame like the DPMS G2, in fact the early release pics look like an exact copy and there has been un proven speculation that DPMS are making their uppers/lowers for the PX10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does PSA ever do 80%s? There are no Small frame .308 80% on the market.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Something about having a 20 round detachable mag makes the ammo go..quickly the inner grunt and child in me cant stop smiling, my wallet hates it.
View Quote
Sounds like we have the same problem...if it could be called a problem.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#50]
right now they have two Gen2 lowers on their page. one is $159 and the other is listed as "blem" Gen2 for $179.

pics and specs are identical. what's the difference (besides $20)?..

$159 -- PSA GEN2 PA10 .308 Complete Classic Lower Receiver - 77932912

$179 -- PSA GEN2 PA10 BLEM .308 Complete Classic Lower Receiver - 77932913
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top