Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2017 6:53:15 PM EDT
I know we have quite a few gear heads on Arfcom.  I wonder how many regular autocrossers we have.

So. Do you autocross and if you do what do you drive and what class do you run

I run in Texas Region and drive a 2017 Mustang GT with Performance pack, and run in CAMCAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done a bit off and on over the years. It's a lot of fun.

Good looking Mustang you have there.

Here I am at LS Fest in my '88 Formula:

Attachment Attached File

I'm currently building a '91 Corvette for CAM S. LS power, Vette Brakes suspension, should be close to minimum weight, with 315 Rival S tires on both ends.

I hope to have it ready for the beginning of next year.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a friend in high school who used to run autocross in a Sunbeam Tiger with a 260 V8 hopped up to around 400 horsepower.  The car would run the quarter mile in between 10-11 seconds at 120 mph...  neat little car that was lots of fun until it was stolen.  But this was a few decades ago...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been autoxing for the past 17 years. First in a 95 m3 now in an 04m3. Houston scca and bmwcca. Mainly just do bmw events now due to work and family things going on. Autox is great to build car control and really fun if you have competition in your class. I'm getting to the point that I enjoy DE track days  more due to the increased seat time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
autox=poor mans HPDE

save up for HPDE and get on a real track!

Nothing like running B or A group at Road Atlanta
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
autox=poor mans HPDE
View Quote
HPDE isn't racing.

Currently running STX in the FRS.

IMG_0734 by glhs386, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Autocross is fun. I used to race years ago.

I got tired of destroying a set of tires in 4 events though

I used to race in a 1.8t GTI I had. because of software, upgraded brakes and coil overs it placed me in street mod. no way I was competitive in street mod, but I didn't care it was fun and I learned a lot about driving in a very short time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
autox=poor mans HPDE

View Quote
I've done a number of HPDEs and track days also, most at Road Atlanta. Did the Panoz race school there as well. The beauty of autocross is the competition - nothing like chasing those last few tenths and measuring yourself and your car against the others in a competitive environment.

The level of car prep required to do that on a road course makes it a non-starter for most of us with families unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
autox=poor mans HPDE

View Quote
Oh, I do. I run Tracknight in America as well as SCCA club trials.  Track running is a blast.  Got many laps around Texas World Speedway as well as Cresson Motorsports Ranch
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've done a bit off and on over the years. It's a lot of fun.

Good looking Mustang you have there.

Here I am at LS Fest in my '88 Formula:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209554/3rd_Gen_at_LS_Fest_zpsckarjfve-279607.JPG

I'm currently building a '91 Corvette for CAM S. LS power, Vette Brakes suspension, should be close to minimum weight, with 315 Rival S tires on both ends.

I hope to have it ready for the beginning of next year.
View Quote
Good looking Firebird.  CAMS is almost all Corvettes. ZO6
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Another CAM runner....I wish I could have run longer, but my meds don't let me play in the sun much...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Used to use my 75 Datsun 280z in stock but not with much success... lotsa fun though.... now building a '91 240sx for SM for next year... balanced and blueprinted engine, factory VSLD, and all of the suspension, brake, and int/exh goodies possible... should be fun running against M3 Bimmers...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Been many years, but I started out running my 1979 Capri in H Stock at SCCA events while stationed in Georgia.  I worked on the car and moved up to C Street Prepared over the years and ran with the Tarheel Sports Car Club in North Carolina until I was transferred to California.  There I was not close enough to any events, since I was in the desert and all the events were down along the coast.

When I retired from the service and moved here to PA I ran events in northeastern PA and the southern tier of NY.  Then I got the bright idea of rebuilding the car to GT-3 class for hill climbs and HPDEs.  And the idea died when I had heart problems and my unfinished project was sold off a few years ago.

I keep saying I'd like to buy a Mustang and run some occasional auto-x events.  But I don't know if my heart would really be in it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I've autocrossed off and on for about 18 years.  Tons of different cars, but the best ones were the Corvettes.  Last autocross car was a C5 Z06, amazing bang for the buck.  Took some time off due to health issues, hoping I can do some events next year though.  If I do I'll just be co-driving another C5 Z06.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Edit for dupe post....
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]
That is a good looking Mustang.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Dad took us kids out autocrossing when we were 16-20. I got within .1seconds of his time in his sports car one time and he didn't know whether to be annoyed or proud. It was good for my driving development.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That is a good looking Mustang.
View Quote
Thanks.  It's my 5th one.  As much as I hate to say it, it is faster and handles better than my 2013 Boss 302 did
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dad took us kids out autocrossing when we were 16-20. I got within .1seconds of his time in his sports car one time and he didn't know whether to be annoyed or proud. It was good for my driving development.
View Quote
I did the same with both of my daughters.  When I was teaching them to drive, I told them they had to take our Novice school at the beginning of the year, as well as run 1 full season.  After that if they didn't want to run any more they didn't have to.  Oldest daughter bowed out after her 1 season, but she learned quite a bit about car control
Youngest daughter went on to win her class championship the first year and raced for a couple more years before life got in the way.  College and then a full time job.  She came out yesterday to watch me and her husband running.  I think she is getting the itch again. but will have to wait til next season after the baby is born.  She drives a 2008 Bullitt
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I ran STS2 in 08-09 a few times with my 92 Miata. It's a lot of fun, I kinda miss it. 

I have a weird brain that doesn't process typical autocross courses well, so I either need chalked lines or an actual track. And I might still get lost 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Did two seasons of auto x. Iirc my car classed in STU for Scca.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm doing my first season. I drive a Porsche, but you quickly see it's not the car, it's the driver.
I love it, I wish I would have been doing it when I was younger, but my kids will come up in it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Been wanting to get into it but there aren't too many events around Austin.

And each time an event comes up I'm usually busy. I would be in a 2016 Focus ST in GS (stock car).

I plan on making the next event because I'm tired of being busy during them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#23]
One day I'll get my old FSAE car back together and will probably run some events again.
I don't like thrashing my street cars in a parking lot
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I ran a lightly modified 2000 Miata in STR a few times. It was fun, and from my time flagging with the National Auto Sport Assn I strongly recommend aspiring track rats start in autocross, learn your car's limits and train yourself before heading to a road course. Kinda of like starting with .22s to learn fundamentals before moving to centerfire stuff.

The course memorization carries over well with stage planning for a 3 gun or uspsa stage.

Nothing like making two circuits around a skidpad because you didn't find the exit when you entered it and forgot it from your course walk

Also anyone who whines about the size of the IDPA rule book should pick up the SCCA Autox rules.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
SPOKES used to be pretty active in Austin
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Run the MR2 in STS ocassionally for fun. I'm not super competitive in that class (Spec CRX) due to not being in the latest rubber and new suspension I have on it needs some tuning which I've been avoiding(plus me sucking).

Sometimes codrive a friends ES Miata too, more competitive for the class (I'm usually pretty middling)

Prefer track time obviously, but autocross is fairly fun and cheap to do with friends once a month. I just can't take it super serious like some do.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL conepackers
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#28]
When I had entire Saturday's that I could kill I loved autocross.  Ran a Miata for 2y, a 350z for a year and a Evo IX MR for a year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Used to run a 968 frequently in the Houston area Porsche Club events.    Actually, i designed some of the course configurations,  as well.  This was at the HPD Academy track. Then came the kuds....

Actually,  one of the most fun events I remember is when we unofficially declared it pickup/suburban day.   That was a hoot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Had one of these back in the 80s

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Tagging. Looks like a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know we have quite a few gear heads on Arfcom.  I wonder how many regular autocrossers we have.

So. Do you autocross and if you do what do you drive and what class do you run

I run in Texas Region and drive a 2017 Mustang GT with Performance pack, and run in CAMChttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/154603/IMG_0385-279594.JPG
View Quote

McLain Stadium, right?

I forgot all about it and was going to go and watch. Got a 2010 Z06, and was wanting to start doing it has soon has I get the heads fixed (there off right now).
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I ran a 914 in 3 different classes over the years. Still have the car but haven't autocrossed in 10 years or so. Busy with other things but plan to do it again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#35]
time trials & HPDE for me. Aiming for NASA TT2 next season.

AutoX is fun and cheap but it amounts to 4 minutes of driving for an entire day.   Not worth it to dick with the trailer.

I don't really go any more because the friends I go with all have different cars, so they class differently.   So when one of us is driving, another is waiting or working and it just cycles through like that.

So its a good place to go if you dont want to hang out with your friends.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I've autocrossed a handful of times over the past 14 years but never ran any of my car more than once.  I picked up a Focus RS a couple of months ago and i'm planning on prepping it this winter to run a whole season next year in BS.  Plans are for 245 RE71's on 18's, and a whiteline front swaybar.  I registered as a novice after reading that I could do that so long as I hadn't ran 10 races or an entire season within my region.  I also did this to make it easier for taping numbers on the car as a good friend of mine was supposed to co-drive the vehicle with me.  I ended up pulling 3rd place out of 20 entrants in novice which I was pleased with.  I was 1.5 seconds off of 1st place in BS as well.  Both competitors in BS were on stickier tires, so I feel like i'll be competitive in the class.  

Current car -

Previous cars -

First time out was in a 2001 Mustang GT

Then the 04 Cobra with intake and exhaust

A bit later with full bolt ons.

And finally with the Mach 1
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24889/IMG_1994_zpsdc9e2bf0_JPG-279739.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24889/IMG_1795_zpsf0f8bf66_JPG-279740.jpg

Another CAM runner....I wish I could have run longer, but my meds don't let me play in the sun much...
View Quote
I've driven there

I've taken my WRX out a few times.  D Street class, and I'm not a competitive driver, but its fun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
time trials & HPDE for me. Aiming for NASA TT2 next season.

AutoX is fun and cheap but it amounts to 4 minutes of driving for an entire day.   Not worth it to dick with the trailer.

I don't really go any more because the friends I go with all have different cars, so they class differently.   So when one of us is driving, another is waiting or working and it just cycles through like that.

So its a good place to go if you dont want to hang out with your friends.
View Quote
I autocrossed a lot in college, but that’s what eventually got me. Spending hours and hours standing around for literally a few minutes of driving just gets old. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#39]
If I can't trade paint, it's not racing
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If I can't trade paint, it's not racing
View Quote
So....you hit shit when you race?  

So you can't drive then.  Got it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So....you hit shit when you race?  

So you can't drive then.  Got it.
View Quote
Go fast, turn left.

shake and bake

rubbin's racin'

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

HPDE isn't racing.

Currently running STX in the FRS.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8651/28176244024_7c71cb9854_b.jpgIMG_0734 by glhs386, on Flickr
View Quote
Neither is autocross. It's a timed contest. It's not racing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I liked it about ten years ago. Did AutoX with a TT RX-7, which was fun. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Not regularly, but I'll be going this weekend. Elise in SS. I used to do my Civic in SM/SMF, but I was many seconds off from being competitive in that car :p.

As far as racing goes, I find karting a hell of a lot better time than a day of standing around in the sun for 3-6 runs of about a minute long each. It is what it is though.

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Neither is autocross. It's a timed contest. It's not racing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I want too, but the modifications to my project car would put me in some rediculess class where I would get raped from lack of experience I'm sure so, I don't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I want too, but the modifications to my project car would put me in some rediculess class where I would get raped from lack of experience I'm sure so, I don't.
View Quote
This is a pretty lame reason not to go... You're comparing times. No you probably won't win your class if there is someone in that class building their car for it, but that doesn't mean you can't go run the course and beat your and other competitors times...

ETA: Not even to mention for the first season there is usually a Novice class you can run in anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Autocross is a gateway drug to road racing.

Ask me how I know. 

^recovering from a 24hr Enduro this weekend
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is a pretty lame reason not to go... You're comparing times. No you probably won't win your class if there is someone in that class building their car for it, but that doesn't mean you can't go run the course and beat your and other competitors times...

ETA: Not even to mention for the first season there is usually a Novice class you can run in anyway.
View Quote
This is true, I'll have to see if there are any local events. There is 3 events at Lanier Raceplex between now and November, 45miles away from me... Going to look into this. I know pre-registering is cheaper, but can you register the day of the event? Like just show up, pay your entry fee, fill out whatever registration and your gtg / listen to safety briefing, bla bla bla, make your run, take turns on the track picking up cones and flagging etc.

How much does an event normally cost, I'm not seeing it on the SCCA page. Do I need a helmet?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top