Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2017 9:58:33 PM EDT
Lost my baby girl a bit ago. She was a Black Lab mix of some Sort. She fought a great battle with kidney failure for 18 months. I had to put her to rest at 13 years of age as she was at the point of very little quallity of life. Good days were far too in between.

Anyway.  Looking at recues today and found a Weinaramer rescue that is a doll. She is just so cute and a year old.

Any feedback on this breed?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Way more wired than a lab.  Friend used to own several, I thought they were hyperactive and dumb.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Best pet we ever owned, smart as hell and excellent around kids.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Agree. Great dogs. 80lb lap dog though - like to be close to you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Weiner ramers?

Like maybe Weimaraner?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
We had one.....massive separation anxiety while we were gone.
Damn thing thought it was a poodle and would try to curl up in your lap. Couldn't keep it off of the counters. Finally had to find it a new home.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Great Dog, Great companion, crate train when you are gone, they are very smart and need activities and stimulation
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
@jjc155

My buddy above had one. She was a great dog.....but definitely on the high strung side of the spectrum until she was a few years old. Make sure you can give it a lot of exercise or you may have some issues
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agree. Great dogs. 80lb lap dog though - like to be close to you.
View Quote
I feel better now, I thought only our Sam was like that.

What sucked, though, was when he would stretch out and start snoring while laying all over you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Way more wired than a lab.  Friend used to own several, I thought they were hyperactive and dumb.
View Quote
Most of them that I've run into aren't the smartest...however, they are probably the most beautiful (eyes/coat) if not second most beautiful breed.
Go for it.  Many of them are like wired on cocaine crazy, though!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Lousy dags but great dogs. They are great hunters, need lots of exercise and good training. Good with kids. I grew up with two and both were hunting maniacs but Dad didn't want to train them and in response they drove him up a wall. One loved to chew her bone in the middle of the road and back up traffic. A miracle she was never killed. Not a breed for lazy owners.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
No. I hate them. Yappy, insecure, dumbass dogs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a female Weimaraner, about 2.5 years old.  High energy and very clingy.  She sticks to my wife like Velcro and loves to cuddle with my daughters.  She's gentle now but was a bit of a handful as a pup.  They need a lot of exercise and attention to keep them on their best behavior. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Years ago we had a young male.He was very high energy and also EXTREMELY protective of the wife and our 2 young boys.
If you pulled up in the driveway you had best wait for someone to greet you before you get out of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Girlfriend's mother had a few while living at her mom's land.  My favorite would walk with me all day while walking around the land.  Poor guy ended up lapping up a bunch of used motor oil and died.  Seems I cared more than the owner.  I thought they were cool dogs but the mother was a dog trainer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Most loyal, intelligent dogs. Not for everyone if your not looking for a best friend that sometime is more like a todlar move on, You don't have cats or other small creatures, cause you won't for long.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Only had experience with one, he was the single most object driven dog I have ever seen,

I have a friend with a Boston that is bat shit crazy, he got an I fetch or some auto ball thrower just to give himself a break and keep the dog entertained ....
Took him a week to teach the dog to use it,
After the terrier figured it out, dog went all happy Gilmore on it and would nose the barrel,,,, repeated point blank shots to the face, he had to put it away, never to be seen again .

The weimeriner ( fuck German spelling) was way worse than that.

ETA superior aim to please tho
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The best dags!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#18]
high wired dogs.....you will spend much more time training them.  but if you do so they are good to go..

PS...they are fast as Dobermans, not as smart...just fast.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]
extremely beautiful anad intelligent dogs... they're very loving... excellent pets and great with kids...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Neighbor had one when I was in grade school.  Very friendly and smart dog. He would come hang out at our house when the neighbor was at work and would go home in the afternoon.  We didn't have a dog at the time so it was nice
to have a loaner dog for the day.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Love mine, will probably stick with a weim in the house forever because of this dog

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Great dogs, but high maintenance.  They are very smart, like to test their owners and will always, always want to be close to their owners.  Mine just turned 15 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't see those like you use to.  They were big in the late 90's with the yuppie town and country crowd.  Seems like they all had one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a 50/50 GSD & WMR, he looks like a huge black WMR...and he is a great dog. Got a huge hunting instinct but it comes out as a lot of play, loyalty and obedience... I would not hesitate to go with a full WMR.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I like my small dogs

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Good looking dog!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
We have had 4 over the years.  Can't see myself ever not having at least one around.

Very driven.

They do want to be with their people.

We have 2 now, one longhaired male that is 7.  He's pretty mellow now.  He will bark and is very protective of the yard and house.   You have to introduce him to people and he'll calm down and be very friendly, but he is intimidating.

We have a 7 month old female. She is sweet and cuddly. She is also about as energetic as any dog I've ever run across.  She is absolutely nuts.   Very smart, very prey driven, she is swimming well, pointing well, still needs work on tracking. She will play fetch until your arm falls off.

Like any dog, they can be destructive if they are bored.  Rosie isn't horrible - but she's killed a couple pair of shoes, slippers, socks, and any toy with a squeaker in it is toast.

They can be crate trained - we haven't bothered with it.

President Eisenhower had a weim - so they were all the rage back then (I think I read some place she had an accident on the White House carpet and was banished to the family farm in Kansas Gettysburg, PA).  Of course there were a crap load of bad breeders out there trying to cash in on their popularity.  There is still no shortage of backyard breeders churning out poor dogs.  

President Eisenhower's Weim.   Heidi

Rosie and Jaeger in the backyard:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Back when I was about twelve I was riding my bike when one came up from behind and sunk it's canines into my leg. I never saw the sonofabitch until it yanked me to the ground and then it beat feet back home before I regained my feet.

Probably the first or second time I ever had stitches. I would have killed if I could have caught it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#29]
A friend of my Fathers used to have one.  This was in rural San Diego County, the little town of Ramona.  That damn dog could point, flush and retrieve quail like no other.  If you stepped out of the house with a shotgun the dog would immediately jump in the back of the pickup in hopes of going to hunt.   I have never seen a better quail dog.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:02:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#31]
If you like everything you own being chewed to hell and holes going to China in your backyard, then i say get one or two. Great otherwise.

Had to let my expensive beast go to a new home.

Really,  if you cant work tbe shit out of them everyday, its kinda frustrating.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Fantastic pics!!  Good stuff!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#33]
My cousin had one, meanest dog I have ever known.  He bit someone every time he got out.  Did I mention he kept him locked in a dog run?  Yah, IMO that will make almost any dog mean. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Awesome dogs.  Really smart, pretty mischievous.  Only drawback, they get separation anxiety.

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:25:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Read the posts--they are a sporting breed, bred for one thing only:  hunting.

This means they will be "biddable"--eager to please, and will be GREAT around people.  BUT--they are not a house pet.  They NEED/MUST run as they are athletes and driven to hunt.  If you don't hunt, you can't comprehend what this means.  Read the posts, and read between the lines--and you will realize they are NOT a house pet.  
View Quote
Disagree completely.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:55:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lost my baby girl a bit ago. She was a Black Lab mix of some Sort. She fought a great battle with kidney failure for 18 months. I had to put her to rest at 13 years of age as she was at the point of very little quallity of life. Good days were far too in between.

Anyway.  Looking at recues today and found a Weinaramer rescue that is a doll. She is just so cute and a year old.

Any feedback on this breed?
View Quote

Best Dog I ever had was a Weim. Be prepared for about 6 years of them being a puppy. If you can't give them a yard to run in or a couple of good walks a day they will be bored and can be destructive. Mine was awesome with my kids (she was around before them and immediately understood her place), very protective and tolerant. They will however follow you every where you go so you will need to get used to a head poking through the shower curtain and them sitting and staring at you when you are crapping etc. Our never had it but Weims can suffer from separation anxiety pretty bad.

Like most dogs if you train em right and treat em right they will be great.

J-
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:07:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP don't listen to this guy...I own a female weim who is a pretty chill dog and is not anymore wired or energetic than any other dog that has been bred for hunting purposes historically.   As far as the dumb part, mine is a pretty damn smart dog and picks up on things very quickly.  

Are there other Weims not like mine ? sure..but there are dogs in all species that are as dumb as rocks.

Weims are quite simply the best dogs ever and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

https://www.facebook.com/ToniAudiKid/videos/10155609694541810/
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP don't listen to this guy...I own a female weim who is a pretty chill dog and is not anymore wired or energetic than any other dog that has been bred for hunting purposes historically.   As far as the dumb part, mine is a pretty damn smart dog and picks up on things very quickly.  

Are there other Weims not like mine ? sure..but there are dogs in all species that are as dumb as rocks.

Weims are quite simply the best dogs ever and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

Reading through some of the other responses here that are negative, I think anyone who has had a weim and had a negative experience with him/her probably didn't put the time in to train the dog when it was at a young age.

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:28:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Reading through some of the other responses here that are negative, I think anyone who has had a weim and had a negative experience with him/her probably didn't put the time in to train the dog when it was at a young age.

View Quote
I think traing them just makes them hate you more!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I love Weimaraners. My HS girlfriend had one but he was unusually stocky so his name was Tank. Hyper as heck but I loved playing with him. Affectionate dogs.

I have two Beagles but one is a Beagle/Weimaraner mix. He looks like a Lemon Beagle but has a Weimaraner nose and blue eyes. His personality matches a Weimaraner too. Beagles aren't too affectionate (unless you have food) but Gus is a cuddle slut. He's extremely affectionate and never leaves my side. The pure breed Beagle not so much.

Attachment Attached File

He was neglected when we got him. He was all skin and bones and they kept him in a cat carrier. He's come a long way...

Attachment Attached File

If I didn't already have two dogs I'd get a Weimaraner in a heartbeat. Well, my sister moved in with her Dachsund and a cat so technically I have three dogs now....
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I love Weimaraners. My HS girlfriend had one but he was unusually stocky so his name was Tank. Hyper as heck but I loved playing with him. Affectionate dogs.

I have two Beagles but one is a Beagle/Weimaraner mix. He looks like a Lemon Beagle but has a Weimaraner nose and blue eyes. His personality matches a Weimaraner too. Beagles aren't too affectionate (unless you have food) but Gus is a cuddle slut. He's extremely affectionate and never leaves my side. The pure breed Beagle not so much.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_0804-276400.JPG

He was neglected when we got him. He was all skin and bones and they kept him in a cat carrier. He's come a long way...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_0805-276401.JPG

If I didn't already have two dogs I'd get a Weimaraner in a heartbeat. Well, my sister moved in with her Dachsund and a cat so technically I have three dogs now....
View Quote
Thats one of the traits about weims I like...They truly do love you (as much as a dog is capable of feeling that emotion), and make it known that you are their buddy.   I have no problem taking mine off leash for hikes either because of that trait.  She either hikes right by my side, or runs ahead ten yards or so stopping every now and than to make sure Im still following and waits for me to catch up if I fall behind.

I've had some people criticize this trait/behavior by the way ("dude, dont you get tired of that dog following you around everywhere?"), but honestly I wouldn't ever want a dog that didn't want to be by my side.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Weiner ramers?

Like maybe Weimaraner?
View Quote
Weinermariners?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
great protection  pet also,had 2,very family oriented
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#44]
If photobucket wasn't so jacked up right now, I'd post pics.

I have 3 now.

Dame, sire, and one of their (fixed) offspring I bought back.  It was a he and the previous owners didn't teach him anything.  Had him for a year and he still did not know  how to sit.

So with that said, you can't be a lazy dog owner.

Their drive to smell down and track rabbits, squirrels, and birds is really intense.  And look the fuck out if it sees some small creature running...

Granted this is just an image off a bing search, but yeah, mine will lock up and turn into statue:

As far as energy goes, my first one as pup was off the charts.  I would tire him out at my mom's house with her dog before I would take him to o edience classes.  Otherwise, all that extra stimuli at the class would turn him into a spazz..

Somebody up above mentioned the looks and the eyes....yes, very attractive dog.  People have been driving down the street....the main drag in my town....see me walking my dog (s) and literally come to a dead stop to ask me what breed they were and shout something at me like "GORGEOUS DOG!" before driving off.

When the weather gets cooler, I'll be starting the offspring on birds...a pigeon pole...since his (prey) drive is so high.  I gotta vector that thrust somehow.

I did have to switch out the deadbolt on my backdoor to one that is keyed on both sides.  They figured out how to flip the latch on tbe old deadbolt and let themselves out.  so, yes, very smart.

They run fast too:

Soooo....in conclusion, sometimes it is a matter of if the owner is the right fit for the breed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Disagree completely.
View Quote
+1

I've spent a lot of time with 2 with separate owners. They both loved to play and work, but they'd just as soon crash on their beds or at your feet as fetch a ball.

I think most people don't really know what a high drive dog is.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#46]
We got a female Weim puppy in January - she's been a good dog so far overall. She is now 50 pounds and a bed hog. One thing I think is pretty interesting is when I'll throw a ball or a toy for her out in the yard, she will instantly freeze into what ever position she is in and become motionless until I throw it. It's pretty cool to see. This behavior just came naturally - we didn't train her to do that. She's got a good deep bark too that I like.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#47]
This thread has me wanting a puppy...
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#48]
In-laws had two of them. Beautiful animals. Best looking dog on this planet. High energy dogs. Super friendly. One of them carried a fireplace log around in its mouth ALL the time and wore her teeth down. They are muscular. They were fun just to look at them....just beautiful!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Read the posts--they are a sporting breed, bred for one thing only:  hunting.

This means they will be "biddable"--eager to please, and will be GREAT around people.  BUT--they are not a house pet.  They NEED/MUST run as they are athletes and driven to hunt.  If you don't hunt, you can't comprehend what this means.  Read the posts, and read between the lines--and you will realize they are NOT a house pet.  
View Quote
I know of several that are great house pets.... It's all in the training.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Regarding the comments about the dogs being stupid....      Of course any breed will churn out retards, I notice a lot of the upland breeds get the reputation as being stupid.    I've had many people tell me how my setter would grow to be functionally retarded and I have come to understand that 90% of the population confuses "obedient" with "intelligent".      

Weims appear to be no different than my Setter in this regard.    The dog is scary smart, solves problems, and anticipates the future.   I put it on par with a 4th grader.     But he has no tolerance for silly "come, sit, stay" games which would make him appear unintelligent to the unwashed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top