Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/9/2017 2:38:53 PM EDT
Well at the suggestion of @wpsharpshooter here's the official long term build thread

This week I closed on some acreage that was originally planned to be the new site solely for my Landscape shop and office. We're moving up in the world!

Well after much discussion and probably more frustration from my contractor it's looking like we may do a barn with living quarters above as my full time new diggs.

The house on the land is from the 1800s and full of news papers and crap. The guy was a hoarder. Its pretty bad and needs to come down.  I'm trying to figure out if i can tackle it myself....if not my contractor's sub is just going to do it for me. But i'm trying to save 12k so a large fire may be an option as well.

Any suggestions on barns with living quarters if hugely appreciated!!!!!!!!!! Let the fun begin!!!!

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask the fire department if they want to burn it for training.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Subscribe button depressed
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
There is money to be had in reclaimed wood. I'm just sayin.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
More picture of said creep house - Its full up. Hoping theres some money in the wall. Also old army uniforms with medals all over them. I'll take more pics tonight. Family photos still on the walls.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If the person was truly a hoarder you might want to make sure nothing of value is left before you turn it over to the demo guys.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
There is, and I have seen some really cool stuff done with it by people who watch way too much HGTV and TLC, but it might look like shit and he still has to get rid if the structure.

Tear out anything interesting and let the local FD do a live burn exercise. Side bonus of making good friends with the FD and first responders.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
More picture of said creep house - Its full up. Hoping theres some money in the wall. Also old army uniforms with medals all over them. I'll take more pics tonight. Family photos still on the walls.

http://i.imgur.com/pG7mdYd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZwHKtqu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KIoIXkg.jpg
View Quote
COOL!!  I'd have a helluva good time picking through all that "junk" 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice piece of land. I would look to see if you can salvage any of the lumber from the house. Many of those old houses have large solid beams in them that can be used for fantastic furniture or other items. If nothing else take some of the history of that place and roll it into the future.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
That car and tractor will put a dent in demo costs. Scour through stuff and burn the rest.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
In on one!!! Looks fun
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/pG7mdYd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZwHKtqu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KIoIXkg.jpg
View Quote
Hire these guys:

Demolition Men | Top Gear | BBC
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is, and I have seen some really cool stuff done with it by people who watch way too much HGTV and TLC, but it might look like shit and he still has to get rid if the structure.

Tear out anything interesting and let the local FD do a live burn exercise. Side bonus of making good friends with the FD and first responders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's probably alot of healthy wood in there and that wood is a better maturity grade of wood than what can be bought nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of siding is that on the house ? ? ?

If it's that old cement/asbestos stuff, you need to rip it off yourself and bury it, in a deep hole, before the city/state inspectors show up.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There's probably alot of healthy wood in there and that wood is a better maturity grade of wood than what can be bought nowadays.
View Quote
i did see a bunch of old brass style lamps and furniture in there. Also a series a paintings on the living room wall i'm going to take out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What kind of siding is that on the house ? ? ?

If it's that old cement/asbestos stuff, you need to rip it off yourself and bury it, in a deep hole, before the city/state inspectors show up.

View Quote
I think it aluminum style siding. I'll hit it with a hammer tonight and see
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
That house looks chock full of asbestos - We wouldn't touch it and I doubt his would either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Ooooooh, that looks like fun.  I guess you're probably not local.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That house looks chock full of asbestos - We wouldn't touch it and I doubt his would either.
View Quote
No to mention all the paperwork and approvals you need to get to burn a structure anymore.

I do know of a guy who asked his fire department, they said no. He burnt it down anyway. This was also way up in northern pa in the middle of no where.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ooooooh, that looks like fun.  I guess you're probably not local.  
View Quote
I'm in upstate NY
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Look everywhere for stashed cash, coins, and treasure.

If you find insulation shaped like tiny round pebbles, that shit is asbestos.

I'd love to go thru that property with a metal detector.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a roll-off dropped on the property, and empty it yourself.

Might be some treasure buried in there.

Hoarders are also stingy. Money is hoarded too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wear a dust mask. One of our members died from Hantavirus after being exposed to dried rat shit.
View Quote
Good call thanks. Its nasty as hell in the house. Like cant see the floor below 3ft nasty
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

i did see a bunch of old brass style lamps and furniture in there. Also a series a paintings on the living room wall i'm going to take out.
View Quote
You never know, you might find enough stuff to help offset the cost of the demo.  That certainly would be a nice boon.

I like the burning it down idea......

Firemen show up..... "Don't worry, guys, it's just a really big bonfire.  I've got marshmallows!"
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get a roll-off dropped on the property, and empty it yourself.

Might be some treasure buried in there.

Hoarders are also stingy. Money is hoarded too.
View Quote
I'm out of town this weekend but one is coming on Tuesday so i can get that garage emptied out at minimum.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
The problem nowadays is proof that it's free of asbestos. Unless it's a small town fire dept this is more of a PIA than it's worth. Our dept doesn't do acquired structure burns anymore because of the hassle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Subscribe button depressed
View Quote
In!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Man, I wish I was closer than Cape Cod. I would come out and help.....and metal detect.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like a clean old Mopar hiding in there, depending on what exactly it is, could fetch a pretty good amount of coin.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't think I'd burn that house before I scoured through it. Lot of old timers didn't trust the banks or anyone else and had stuff hid all over the place. Would suck balls to burn it down and then find remains of something valuable and kick yourself in the ass from now on for not looking before you torched it - or let some demo guys stumble across it and take it home with them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool. OST
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#32]
NYHTF Clean up crew day?

will beer be involved?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good call thanks. Its nasty as hell in the house. Like cant see the floor below 3ft nasty
View Quote
Then do it this winter so you don't get snake bit
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I want moar pics of tractor, please!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't think I'd burn that house before I scoured through it. Lot of old timers didn't trust the banks or anyone else and had stuff hid all over the place. Would suck balls to burn it down and then find remains of something valuable and kick yourself in the ass from now on for not looking before you torched it - or let some demo guys stumble across it and take it home with them.
View Quote
I would rip out the plaster and lath around the baseboards just to see what fell to the floor. I've seen some crazy stuff come out of old walls.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
My old man has the same feelings. He's going in this weekend a going to load everything of value he can find on one of my trailers and take it to my parents house.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I was in a similar situation OP when we bought our land.  I spent hours going through the old rotten house that was built in 1888.  I found some cool things, stripped the place of all the metal, pulled the stainless kitchen sink to use later in a workshop, and had the place knocked down and hauled away.  The excavator guy was good and was able to salvage the large old growth pine timbers.  

The local fire departments wanted nothing to do with using an old house for training, and they said I'd still be left with an even nastier mess, plus liability if some ember set the local corn fields on fire.  

Looks like that garage is decent, clean the old shingles off and lay down some corrugated and call it good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
NYHTF Clean up crew day?

will beer be involved?
View Quote
Hell yea man! Food Beer and Entertainment is on me! Bring the campers and tents, lets party!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#39]
How far upstate?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How far upstate?
View Quote
Western New York off Lake Erie
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd clean it out and see what you have. Might be something that can be renovated into a cool house; build a dedicated barn for the business.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Western New York off Lake Erie
View Quote
Between Erie and Buffalo?  I get up that way often.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Between Erie and Buffalo?  I get up that way often.
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wear a dust mask. One of our members died from Hantavirus after being exposed to dried rat shit.
View Quote
Thanks for the post.

I'm a RN and have torn down several houses and didn't know this.

Off to google.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OST

This looks like a cool design. http://www.greinerbuildings.com/pole-building-shop-home-shome/
View Quote
This is what my contractor sent me yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#47]
its a MAN HOUSE. So many toys can fit in such a structure...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Have you invited your future FIL out to check it out yet?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Exactly. Being able to pull work trucks in to do maintenance weekly is important so I need the space. Among all my other crap i have. Its only me and a dog as far as living quarters go. But the upstairs would be completely open floor plan, 2 bed rooms.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Have you invited your future FIL out to check it out yet?
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top