Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2017 11:48:39 AM EDT
I'm a bit of an Anglophile. One of my guilty pleasures is to watch old Britcoms. I recently started watching 'allo! 'allo! It is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.

The plot is this: Rene runs a French café during the Occupation. The German officers in town have stolen some art (namely the painting of the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies)so they can sell them after the war to finance their retirements and forced Rene to hide them or he'll be shot. The Resistance is forcing him to hide a couple of British airmen or he'll be shot. The Germans know about his ties to the Resistance, the Resistance knows about his services to the Germans. If his wife finds out about his mistress, she'll kill him. If his mistress finds out about his other mistress, she'll kill him. The airmen don't speak French, the wife insists on singing but can't carry a tune in a bucket, the hidden radio transmitter is under the bed of his miserable and decrepit mother-in-law, the forger can't forge anything, and there's a German officer who fancies Rene.

It's just a riot of a farce. And best of all, it's on Netflix.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm a bit of an Anglophile. One of my guilty pleasures is to watch old Britcoms. I recently started watching 'allo! 'allo! It is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.

The plot is this: Rene runs a French café during the Occupation. The German officers in town have stolen some art (namely the painting of the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies)so they can sell them after the war to finance their retirements and forced Rene to hide them or he'll be shot. The Resistance is forcing him to hide a couple of British airmen or he'll be shot. The Germans know about his ties to the Resistance, the Resistance knows about his services to the Germans. If his wife finds out about his mistress, she'll kill him. If his mistress finds out about his other mistress, she'll kill him. The airmen don't speak French, the wife insists on singing but can't carry a tune in a bucket, the hidden radio transmitter is under the bed of his miserable and decrepit mother-in-law, the forger can't forge anything, and there's a German officer who fancies Rene.

It's just a riot of a farce. And best of all, it's on Netflix.
View Quote

Finished the whole series.

You Stupid woman...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I forgot the Gestapo agent in town to make sure the art gets to Hitler, just as another foil for the Germans, the French, and Rene.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Listen very carefooly I shall say it zis unly once...

Next thing you'll be watching "Dads Army" or "It ain't half hot mum".
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My all-time favorite Britcom is Keeping Up Appearances,(I identify with Onslow) closely followed by Are You Being Served?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My all-time favorite Britcom is Keeping Up Appearances,(I identify with Onslow) closely followed by Are You Being Served?
View Quote

Both are very good.  I remember watching them many years ago along with Allo, Allo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude. I watched that in the 1980s.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Good moooaning!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup. 'allo! 'allo! is funny but I like those two better. My mother, who generally doesn't enjoy britcoms, loved Keeping Up Appearances. I believe it was because she identified with Hyacinth
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Vere is ze picture of ze fallen Madonna wiz ze big boobies?!?

I perfected my German accent watching that particular documentary.

I preferred Dad's Army though. Don't tell 'im, Pike!

Dad's Army Best ever scene. Hitler is a twerp!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
 Gorden Kaye suffered serious head injuries when a piece of wood smashed through the windscreen of his car during a storm in 1990.  Shame he died this year.  I loved watching that show.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I watched the Young Hyacinth special that was on a few years back. The actress nailed Hyacinth's mannerisms, but it just lacked the charm of Keeping Up Appearances.

I found a list of the best Britcoms and I've seen quite a few. Fawlty Towers, Vicar of Dibley, Blackadder, The Young Ones, AbFab, One Foot in the Grave, Waiting for God, Spaced (I love that series), and the Office just off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Hard to top aint half hot mum, only fools and horses or steptoe and son
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]
My favorite was Good Neighbors. I still have a woody for Felicity Kendall.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Loved Fawlty Towers.... every episode had different letters missing from the building name-- some combos were hilarious!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in Season 2 of binge watching Top Gear. Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Only fools and horses and Red Dwarf  Comedy gold!

If you have a smart tv the Britbox app is worth the $6 a month
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Allo,allo was on when I was a kid. My parents watched it and I didn't see the appeal apart from the two hot women.

Saw it a few years ago as an adult and thought it was great, so much going on.

British sit comes are hit and miss. Allo allo is definitely a hit.

Dads army is not anywhere near the same mold and not funny at all imo to humour is decades earlier and more mainstream..
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
The Thin Blue Line.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My favorite was Good Neighbors. I still have a woody for Felicity Kendall.
View Quote
was that the US name for The Good Life?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hard to top aint half hot mum, only fools and horses or steptoe and son
View Quote
"You dirty old man...."
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I watched it years ago but never saw all of it.  Just finished watching it a few weeks ago.  Still pretty funny.  I loved the final episode.  No spoilers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Watching it now. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to watch 'allo 'allo when I was a kid, I'd be interested in seeing how well it holds up now after so many years I will have to check it out.

My all time favs are Steptoe and Son, Some mothers do ave em, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and horses, Dear John, and Rab C Nesbit before he sobered up!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You Stupid woman...
View Quote
Still use that on my better half occasionally.  The more outrageous the fake french accent the better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought this was a Labrinth reference.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Thin Blue Line.

You're welcome.
View Quote
I watched that one years ago. It was good, but not Blackadder good, of course.

I finished 'allo 'allo! over the weekend. The finale was hilarious,  especially when

Click To View Spoiler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top