Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2001 11:26:39 AM EDT
Ok, I want to create a partition on my hard drive. Can I do this without reformatting the drive?

Please answer in lowest common denominator terms. I'm not that computer literate. I usually go by the rule that if I can't fix something with a DOS command, then it's time to get the screwdrivers out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
use Partition Magic to use some of the unused psace at the end of you HD to make a new partition. You will need to format the new partition. Advice: do a thorough scandisk and defrag of the current drive so it puts all the data at the frony of the drive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You can download it from download .com or the manufacturers website...or try fips (another partioner)
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Tkanks. Where do I get Partition Magic?
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
What, did you read my mind?
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Either www.download.com or the manufacturers website...do a search on google...
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Majic is the easiest one to use according to my guru...
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I'm going to try it when I get home, so if I'm not around for a few days, then I tore something up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Partition Magic has a good reputation. But be very careful! Make sure you have backups of all your important files before trying this.

Why do you need to re-partition? There may be a safer solution.

Brian

Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
libertynews,

I think I have a bunch of screwed up stuff on my hard drive. Some of it is from when I tried to switch to Earthlink. I've got some minor glitches here and there and the whole system is running slow. What I want to do is create a partition to back up all the stuff that I don't have backup disks for, then reformat the C drive and reinstall Windows and AOL. Then reinstall all of the other programs on the D drive, leaving nothing but Windows, AOL, and IE on the C drive. I don't know if that's going to work, but I don't know what else to do. If that don't fix it, then I'll get out the screwdrivers and see if it's something mechanical.[>:/]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
See what I mean? I couldn't even get the damn smily to work...
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you call me here at Earthlink?  I am not sure I can help as I am in Broadband support, but I may be able to get you a tech that can help...800 719 4664 Ext 64444

Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Just 'cause it wasn't stressed enough yet....

[size=6]BACKUP!!![/size=6]

Especially when messing with the partition.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, GovtThug, a couple things to think about. Avoiding a format is not really a good thing.  There is no disk utility out there that does a better job than FORMAT.  It cleans up fragmented drives completely and identifies bad sectors to prevent future use.  The best part is reloading Windows from scratch because it installs a clean registry from scratch.  This will speed up your systems like you stuck a turbo charger in it.  I typically format mine once a year just for those reasons.  Make sure you look to see what model video, sound and network cards you have so you can get the correct driver since Microsloth Wilblows 95/98 doesn't always detect them like it should.  I'll be glad to give you help if you need it.

And the advice to backup before you do anything is well advised.  If your not backing up the important shit at least once a month, then your exposing yourself like you were having sex with a drunken homo with AIDS.

Note: I do computers for a living.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I am no computer expert, but what I found running Microsoft Windows 95/98, if you have broken chains on your hard disk, it could cause slow boot-up/shut-downs.  You may want to run SCANDISK with the "thorough" option until you get no more messages that indicates broken chains.  Try the easiest thing first.  Depending on how big your hard disk is, it could take 2-3 hours.  I usaully start mine before I go to sleep, and he next morning its fixed.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]
WOOOOOHOOOOO!

I partitioned, formatted, and reinstalled! This thing is running like a rocket!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, and A BIG THANKS TO SATCONG!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I told you so. Neah neah neah!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top