Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2001 10:46:50 AM EDT
Shot my friends .45 this past weekend, first time for me, and I really like the .45.  I want one now.  There is a gun show coming up in about a month so I need info.  I would like recommendations on makes and models as far as to look at and stay away from.  One thing though, I am not real keen on the polymer frame thing.  No particular reason, just a preference thing, so that pretty much rules out Glocks and HK USP for me.
Any info you can offer on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
CHZ
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
ruger Is the best for the money thats going to be my next one cost 359.00 new. If money  doesnt matter I have 2 older colts 70 series.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I would take a look at a Sig P220. I LOVE mine.
GREAT handgun!
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Springfield,Kimber,Colt etc..... Look at and handle alot of them from the major manufacterers. Choose a quality gun that feels right in your hand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
i really like my kimber ultra carry.if you're looking for something along the 1911 style check here...[url]www.1911forum.com/[/url] mmk
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want a 1911 get a Kimber. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.jsa.cz/images/valtro/valtroA1.gif[/img]
[url]http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=153&forum=5&31[/url]
Buy one and let us know.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Colt 70's series and a Springfield 1911 A-1.  I think Springfield has a life-time warranty, I picked mine up from a lady whose husband dropped dead.  She was going to put all his guns up for consignment and get ripped of.  I arranged for people to get in contact with her and negotiated prices.  She sold me the Springfield for $325.00, it is worth somewhat more.  I would look into Springfields.  And magazines and parts for 1911 based .45's are readily available for modification.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Colt, it will hold it's value best and you will be very happy with it.

www.1911forum.com
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to the show and evaluate the feel and heft of each variety of .45. They are great weapons. If your not inclined to the polymer variety, then examine those that have been posted. I personally have found that for the money the Kimber is great, but hell I would have them all if my wife wouldn't freak out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
real 1911's are BUILT Not Bought

buy a frame and slide, get some parts from the gun show, and have a good smith slap one together, cant get much better than that or more personalized.
the SIG p220 is one of the best out of the box
colts hold there value
spingfields are made in brazil
kimber has S&W cast there frames and slides, but not machine them
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Allow me to suggest the Glock. Models 21 and 30 come in .45 and hit exactly what you aim at fresh out of the boxes they come in. (And a nice plastic box it is too.)

As has been said on Glock Talk, if you gun is your hobby get a 1911 but if shooting is your hobby get a Glock. They work.

"Lose that nickle plated sissy pistol son, and get yourself a Glock"

Tommy Lee Jones
                     US Marshals
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Get either an HK USP 45 or a Para Ord P14 Limited.  I am considering getting one of these as soon as I have the $$$.
[url]www.paraordnance.com[/url]
[url]www.hecklerkoch-usa.com[/url]

mattjedi[x]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I second the SIG 220!
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
P220 P220 P220 P220!!!!!!

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a Springfield 1911, the milspec, fixed sights, parkersized finish, so far this gun has shot very well,have over 1000 rounds through it, and NO jams, No smokestacks, No nothing,it just runs,Chazz, don't let anyone tell you that .45's jam all the time, they don't, And as far as Springfields being made in Brazil, that's bullshit, their rough forgings come from Brazil, they are then machined and assembeled in the U.S.,barrels are made in the U.S. too...Besides I'd rather have a .45 with a frame and slide forged in Brazil, than one forged by the S&W communists!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#18]
[RED] K___I___M___B___E___R !!!![/RED]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
read the first post again -- the man said NO Plastic Fantastic pistolas
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#20]
How much money do you want to spend? What type of shooting are you intenting on doing? Do you just want a .45 or do you want one for CCW. DO you have large or small hands? Do you have a problem with a double action trigger.

The Sig P220 is a wonderful pistol I have one and love it. The Kimber is also a very nice pistol have one and like the trigger. You can also consider a Sig P245 nice compact .45. If you want a little larger pistol CZ also makes a very nice .45. That is 10 shoot. If you like the 1911 style Para Ordance has the high capacity pistols. Pick the one that suits your budget and more importantly your hand.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm another 1911 guy, but ya' can't really argue with a P220 either.  

My only complaint on the 220 is mags are a bit more difficult to come across and are more expensive for the Sig than a 1911 variant.

If you want a SA .45, Kimber makes a good 1911 and Springfield has responded to the market share lost to Kimber with their "Loaded" 1911's.  I'll say, with either of these a lot depends on the gun in your hand.  I've handled some of each that felt like they had a trigger job by a good smith, and I've seen examples of each that had triggers like a bic lighter.  If you find one that has all the features you want, and it has a good trigger, buy it.  Don't worry about Kimber vs. Springfied too much, as the quality is pretty close.

Finally, no one has mentioned the new ParaOrd LDA's.  These are DA only versions of the 1911.  The high cap model was Handgun of the Year at last years SHOT show.  They've now appeased the "tradtional" 1911 crowd by making a single stack version that is idenical in feel to a standard 1911.  If you're in the market for a .45 and desire DA, you should defintely find one of these to check out.  The only downside is they haven't started including goodies like a Beavertail and snag free combat sights yet.  If they made a "loaded" version, I'd buy one so fast it'd make Para's head spin.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#22]
when it comes to mags for the P220, get the mec gar, they are easier to find, half the price, come in stainless, and are the same damn thing as the SIG mags -- since mec gar makes the mags for SIG in italy

i also got a ramline (i think) 10 rnd sig mag and it works good, except the follower doesnt hold the slide back on the last shot
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you want a 1911 get a Kimber. You won't be disappointed.
View Quote

I echo this one... I have a Kimber Custom and it is one fine machine.

Lot's of choices but this is a lot of value for the dollar.

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Check out the EAA Witness.  I like the full size all-metal .45 ACP Witness.  Inexpensive but a lot of fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
[img]http://www.jsa.cz/images/valtro/valtroA1.gif[/img]
[url]http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=153&forum=5&31[/url]
Buy one and let us know.
View Quote
                                            PRETTY.....VERY PRETTY........[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I am partial to Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks all!! I saw a real nice Springfield Armory the other day.  I was putting that one on my list to have a closer look at.

CHZ
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess it kinda depends on how much you are willing to spend and what kind of design and size that you want.
If you're on a tight budget: then a Ruger.
If you are interested in a Single Action (1911 design):and have a little more money: then a Springfield Armory. (Les Baer if you are dripping with cash). Springfield makes a GREAT 1911. Not as much as hype as the Kimber..but just as good or better IMHO.

IF you want a double action: the a Sig P220.

And then there are the "other" 45's (put on Cowboy hat). A stainless steel Ruger Vacquero in 45 Colt with poly ivory grips.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess it kinda depends on how much you are willing to spend and what kind of design and size that you want.
If you're on a tight budget: then a Ruger.
If you are interested in a Single Action (1911 design):and have a little more money: then a Springfield Armory. (Les Baer if you are dripping with cash). Springfield makes a GREAT 1911. Not as much as hype as the Kimber..but just as good or better IMHO.

IF you want a double action: the a Sig P220.

And then there are the "other" 45's (put on Cowboy hat). A stainless steel Ruger Vacquero in 45 Colt with poly ivory grips.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#31]
To elaborate a bit on the Kimber vs. Springfield 1911 debate, Springfield was Kimber's competition.  Series 80 Colts were not thought of as highly as the 70 series guns and Colt's QC was not on par with SA when Kimber came to the market.

Kimber built a good gun and added all the bells and whistles that 10 years ago you had to pay a 'smith to install.  That is what set them apart.  They were just as good as SA's and both were better than Colt but the SA and Kimber were about the same price and the Kimber had more features for the money.  

Despite the comparisons made to Les Baer's and other custom manufactures, the Kimbers have never been inherently "better" than SA's.  They got compared to the custom guns, because they were the 1st to come stock from the factory with "custom" features.  They are a good factory gun with custom features, but they are far closer to a SA in fit, fininsh and function than they are to a Les Baer or Wilson gun.  Until SA responded with the "Loaded" guns, the Kimbers were a better value and that's what built their reputation.  Kimber get credti for improving the overall market for 1911 style pistols as they began the one upping.  Thanks to them you have a wide variety of factory 1911 variants to choose from.

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Take a look at the Beretta Cougar 8045 while you're at the show...
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#33]
here here on the sig 220 if you dont like em in polymere its the only way to go if you want an sa/da pistol.

1911 type pistols are a good choice too but i would avoid llama's and auto ordinance some of their parts are not compatable with other 1911 types.

if you can find an older colt i suggest one of the 70 series. the 70's are what everybody else copys when they make a 1911's and they have no plastic parts like the series 80's do.

Springfield armory may have their parts made in brazil but their still excelllent pistols for the money.
personally ill take a new springfield armory 45 over a new colt.
Another overlooked possibilty you might think of if you see them are 1911 manufactured by norinco its the only good thing to come out of china
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#34]
1911 style .45's.  Time tested design.  Manufacturer:  Kimber, Para Ordnance
Best Value Manufacturer:  Springfield Armory
non-1911:  HK, SIG
very reliable non-1911:  Glock
Sentimental:  Colt (if you can get a Series 70 or some series 80)
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a Kimber Custom Stainless. It is reliable and accurate.

I like the single action trigger much better than the double/single action trigger of the SIG, Ruger, Beretta, etc.

I think that the 1911 is the way to go if you want a .45. The only other .45 I would consider would be the Glock 36 for concealed carry. Even then I would still probabbly prefer the Kimber Ultra-Carry to the Glock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Have a 1911 and SIG P220. For pure shooting fun the 1911 but for CCW, particularly occasionally, the SIG.

"Your milage may vary"

Link Posted: 5/6/2001 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Well When I was In the Navy we had Colt1911A1 on our ship Thats were I fell in love with the .45. Springfield makes on similar to the Colt. I think my next one will be either a Springfield or a Colt. But the name will cost extra. As for now I have the Sig P220 Awsome gun. accrate and no problems yet. The only beef I have with it is the trigger play. A good gunsmith can fix that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:36:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I faced the same decisions last summer, went with a Paraordnance P-14. Heavier than a plastic fantastic, but the weight feels good. Some people don't like the wide bodies because of the wider grip, depends on how big your hands are. Never was into pistols much, just figured I should own at least one, if for no other reason than they are more portable than a long gun. I figured I shouldn't mess around and go ahead and get a .45acp, That way if I ever had to use it in a self defense scenario, I'd be more confident in the stoping power of a .45. Now that I got it, I've been warming up to pistols(especially 1911 variants). The P-14 just has a way of finding it's way into my hands these days.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Single Action- Springfield or Kimber

Double Action- Sig P220

If you want just one all around .45, then the Sig P220 is the way to go.  They are reletively light, easy to carry, easy to shoot, reliable, and very accurate.  After I bought my P220 I sold all my lesser .45s except my "US Property" M1911A1.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#40]
buy a colt 1991 for $500, send it to a smith to put on the custom parts (which will be better made than the SA/Kimber parts), and then have the smith tighten and smooth up the gun. should be around $300 worth of work and a few weeks wait, total cost $800, which is close to what a SA/Kimber cost, but you get a better gun in the long run.

SA/kimber parts are molded, custom parts are machined
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top