Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 4:45:14 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with this or know anything about it?   A friend is asking for advice and I've never heard of it.    I've tried google but haven't found anything with solid information.

What is is supposed to do and does it really do it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It's just an antenna...

You pick up "over the air" broadcast channels like NBC, ABC, FOX, and probably some shitty local channels. (I also get VietTV... I like to watch shows with no subtitles and make up my own dialog. )

Effectively no different from "rabbit ears from the past".
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's just an antenna...

You pick up "over the air" broadcast channels like NBC, ABC, FOX, and probably some shitty local channels.

Effectively no different from "rabbit ears from the past".
View Quote
ROFL

these young kids have no clue what rabbit ears are.  They are paying big bucks for an antenna marked as HD when they are no different than antennas 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ROFL

these young kids have no clue what rabbit ears are.  They are paying big bucks for an antenna marked as HD when they are no different than antennas 30 years ago.
View Quote
Flashback to when color TV first came out.

As P. T. Barnum once said...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ROFL

View Quote
Some have built in tuners.  What you need depends on what the TV has in it already.

None of them should be over $30 though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually TV frequencies are quite a bit different now. Almost all of the TV frequencies are in the UHF range. The longer elements on the old antennas were for the lower VHF channels 2-13. A smaller UHF antenna should be good in a metro area, but a rural location may need a better UHF antenna.

A Hoverman antenna is fairly easy to build and gives excellent performance for the UHF TV frequencies.

Here is a description of the antenna, if you are putting it inside you can use a 1x2 and some 12 ga copper to make it.

https://onetransistor.blogspot.com/2015/01/gray-hoverman-wideband-vhf-uhf-antenna.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually TV frequencies are quite a bit different now. Almost all of the TV frequencies are in the UHF range. The longer elements on the old antennas were for the lower VHF channels 2-13. A smaller UHF antenna should be good in a metro area, but a rural location may need a better UHF antenna.

A Hoverman antenna is fairly easy to build and gives excellent performance for the UHF TV frequencies.

Here is a description of the antenna, if you are putting it inside you can use a 1x2 and some 12 ga copper to make it.

https://onetransistor.blogspot.com/2015/01/gray-hoverman-wideband-vhf-uhf-antenna.html
View Quote
Silly WFAA is still transmitting on their old VHF assignment (ch 8).  

Everything else comes in fine with a bent coat hanger LOL
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a multi directional amplified antenna and you should be gtg. If you go to antenna web or other sites, they have a map overlay on Google maps to show you the local directions and ranges.

Go to Amazon and search for amplified multidirectional antennas and pick one with good ratings. Mount above the roofline or at least in the direction of the most channels.

Hell I get 11 channels in my basement using a piece of stripped coax bent into a folded dipole.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ROFL

View Quote
Big bucks!

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Silly WFAA is still transmitting on their old VHF assignment (ch 8).  

Everything else comes in fine with a bent coat hanger LOL
View Quote
That used to work for me until we moved 45 miles north of the nearest city. I mocked up a Hoverman with some copper wire and tin foil. It worked from the attic if I opened the window. Put a commercial version up outside so now we don't have to get cable. We get 25 stations with this setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top