One hell of a general.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
"War is hell"
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok Ed you got!! Distracted they just found this girl that had been missing. Perp shot hisself girl is ok.

WILLIAM
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]
"hisself" - ?

At least you're consistent.  [BD]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Ol' Wikkiam was a great one, alright -- right up there with Habbibal, Parron, and Ronnel. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
YEAH, hisself, just trying to speak 'TEXAN'

Rob

They really would say 'hisdamnself' all one word.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Sherman - America's first War Criminal.[BD]

Eric The(Forget?Hell)Hun
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, hell yeah I'm still sore about the 'March to the Sea.' And as far as the [b]military[/b] effectiveness of the march was concerned, which Confederate Army was he fighting across Georgia?
Gen. Hood's army was broken at Atlanta, anything after that was gratuitous bloodshed.

It played well in the Northern press, but all it accomplished was to get him to Savannah in a shorter period of time than had he swung further South to 'liberate' Andersonville, or turned back to destroy Gen. Hood's army.

Yes, he certainly 'made Georgia howl' but he set back regional post-war relations by a century or two.

Warring against women, children, and old men out of uniform must have come easily to him. A lot more so than when Gen. Lee moved into Maryland and Pennsylvania.  He surely served as a model for future 'total war' advocates.

Guess old Bobby Lee shoulda torched a few homes and fields on his way in and out of the North.

Naw, he was a gentleman. It woulda never occurred to him to make war on civilians!

But hey, you won![BD] That's gotta count for sonething!

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
He was a War Criminal, who made War on women and children.

But, he didn't care.  To him:

1) Might make right

2) The end justifies the mean

To us, lest we forget:

An argument settle by force is not settled at all.  (This is a paraphrase of a famous quote, but I can't remember who said it, perhaps Jeff'n F. Davis)  Anyone [?]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
He should have been tried for war crimes but the victors make the rules.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I would like to see a picture of a Sherman Bow tie! (Rail wrapped around a tree)
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#13]
You have seriously go to be kidding me.  I just watched "Civil War Journal" this morning on the History Channel.  They talked about Shermans march to the sea.  Every time i hear the specifics of that man it makes me ashamed that he is a part of American History.  

I'm sure he must have been very proud of himself.  I mean after all there was really no one in that part of Georgia to oppose him-less women, children and the elderly.  Let me tell you, it must have taken a brave man to set out knowing that there would be no army to stop him.  

He sent his troops to pillage and plunder the country side.  They burnt what they could not steal.  The completely disregaurded the common and accepted practice of the time concerning warfare by acting against unarmed civilians.  Some of you seem to revel in this fact and think that he was some wonderful general for this.  

Well fellow patriots let me paint you a picture-i want to put this into terms that you can understand.  Evreyone likes to talk about these fantastic SHTF scenarios where the federal government comes to take your guns away.  Well consider that this day does come, and all of you head for the hills with your bug out packs and thousands of rounds of ammo ready for a long drawn out conflict.  Then mr. federal government comes to your home threatens your family, takes all the stuff in the house.  Empties you bank acount and then just for kicks burns down your home.  You now own nothing anymore-your family has been displaced and are at the mercy of the occupying government agents.  Well does this sound very fair?  Well you know your are breaking the law-just like all those evil successionist.  You had it coming.  After all "war is hell".

I'd also like to address this concept that some how Andersonville was this uniquely horrific place.  Well let me clue you in on a little place called Point Lookout.  It is on a tiny spit of land in Maryland that is where the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River converge.  This Union prison was just about as bad as Andersonville.  Very cold in the winter, very little rations.  Disease running rampit.  Yet you never hear about this place.  Odd, huh?

This man is at best a villian and at worse the incarnation of the devil.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Amen, Brother sloth!

I read somewhere that the percentage of Southern POWs who died in Northern POW camps was greater than the percentage of Northern POWs who died in Southern POW camps, including Andersonville!

At a time when the Northerners were fat and sassy, they somehow forgot to share their bounty with the Southern prisoners.

And we know that by early 1864, the South was in no condition to feed itself, much less to adequately attend to the needs of Union prisoners.

I always thought that Capt. Wirz(-sp) got a raw deal after the War.  He was the commandant of Andersonville and was tried and executed for his so-called crimes, notwithstanding the fact that he was able to show numerous letters written to Richmond requesting more supplies for the prisoners, which because of wartime shortages were largely ignored.

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Why do you guys keep picking at this scab?

I am astonished that with all of the Constutional scholars on this board that nobody has looked at whether or not the Federal government had a legal right to engage in the War of Northern Aggression.  I don't remember seeing any specific provisions in the Constitution that stated membership in the Union was in perpetuity.  Therefore, the 10th Amendment grants the states the right to sever their ties to the Union by default.  Lincoln chose to ignore the legal ramifications of his actions due to his desire to maintain the Union.  We haven't paid much attention to the Constitution since..
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
That the union was not perpetual is easy to prove.  The Articles of Confederation stated the union was perpetual.  The 13 states had to leave the perpetual union to come under the US Constitution of 1787, and those who had not ratified when it went in effect, NC and another (don't remember which), were treated as foreign states.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I think "The March to the Sea" is required reading for ATF & FBI head honchos.
"Inspiring"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top