Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Posted: 7/19/2017 10:39:26 PM EDT
I'm getting worried. About a year ago I reserved the closest house I could afford for the weekend of the eclipse. Bend Oregon is the closest I could get without spending too much.

Everyone says Madras is the hot spot for the eclipse but it's going to be a shit show with everybody arriving and then trying to leave when the eclipse passes.

I'm thinking, leave Bend at midnight and drive somewhere in the path of totality but NOT Madras. You guys got any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Drive to Kearney, Nebraska.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thought this was about a new Mitsubishi Eclipse
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Word on the street is that the locals are expecting a 12 hour drive from Bend to Redmond.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You can go through Prineville and up toward Mitchell on 26 if you want to be in the area of totality. You're going to be on 2 lane roads with everyone else trying to get home. If you can swing it, spending the night of the eclipse in Redmond or Bend might not be a bad idea. I would think that with traffic, it'll be mid to late afternoon by the time you get back that far south anyway.  

OSP is warning about record numbers of tourists with heavy traffic. I would suggest you have your car full of gas, and plenty of drinks and food/snacks with you. Top off the ice and gas every chance you get. Gas stations, restaurants, and convenience stores are all packed in that area this time of year anyway and you can expect it to be much much worse during the eclipse. As long as you know that there is going to be agonizing slow traffic on 2 lane roads, you can be mentally prepared for it.

We're going to go out in our front yard for the eclipse and make sure we have gas and groceries ahead of time. Agencies here are warning people about extra traffic and asking you not to get out on the roads unneessarily.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Word on the street is that the locals are expecting a 12 hour drive from Bend to Redmond.
View Quote
Ouch
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it is going to be nuts just about everywhere.

If you don't want to be stuck in town, try a gravel road several miles out. You have to get back to the highway sometime though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can go through Prineville and up toward Mitchell on 26 if you want to be in the area of totality. You're going to be on 2 lane roads with everyone else trying to get home. If you can swing it, spending the night of the eclipse in Redmond or Bend might not be a bad idea. I would think that with traffic, it'll be mid to late afternoon by the time you get back that far south
View Quote
This is going to suck. I've actually been eyeing Mitchell lately thinking it would be an alternative destination. I just wish I would have planned this better!  A lady at work just got a call from a hotel in Salem saying they had an opening Sunday night. So lucky.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
We are hoping to get close, but who knows?

A small town in Nebraska, hopefully. We will see.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
They are estimating 17 hours from portland to madras.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ditto. I like it for what it is, but it's not deserving of the Eclipse name.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Our farm is right in the sweet spot  Got the day off.  I'm stoked.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Got a reservation in Newport OR  Yes, we are very concerned about the traffic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#13]
We considered the traffic problems.

Hate traffic. So we're setting up on the patio and invited some family over for the afternoon show.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#14]
10 million people descending onto small town America, all at the same time. What could go wrong?

Roads clogged. Local grocery stores depleted of food, water, everything. Sanitary facilities overloaded. Anger, road rage, and opportunities for every kind of crime imaginable. Police, fire, and EMTs totally overwhelmed. A DIY Zombie Appocolapse.

Yeah, great vacation plan. Sorry I can't make it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to walk out my back door and have a margarita.  I'm about 4-5 miles from the point of the longest totality in the country.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#16]
All booked here at 5x the normal hotel rate. This area can't handle the existing auto traffic much less 5x the population.  A main concern is FOOD. Crowds already showing up in restaurants, I see hoards of Chinese, a lot of strange Germanic language also.  Pastures are renting @300$ for a tent set-up on a 20sqft area!! Money...that's what we want.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:14:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Drive to Kearney, Nebraska.

View Quote
I know of a better dot 100 miles east of there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Didn't realize this was a thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My house is about 10 miles south of the path. I work in the path. I'll get to see it and deal with the chaos it's brings.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We are hoping to get close, but who knows?

A small town in Nebraska, hopefully. We will see.
View Quote
I know exactly where you want to be.  And it is a brewery in rural nebraska, 5 miles off hwy 81.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#21]
We're in the Seattle area, and we recently banned vacation time on Aug 21 and rescinded previously approved vacation time.  Our CEO thinks people will be stupid and look directly at the sun and end-up with permeant eye damage.  He's already said he wants everyone in the office and all blinds to be closed.z
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#22]
yikes. I was hoping to drive south and a bit west on Sunday to some highly remote area....
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know exactly where you want to be.  And it is a brewery in rural nebraska, 5 miles off hwy 81.
View Quote
Got room?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Got room?
View Quote
A 40 acre beer garden.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm considering Oregon as well, as I don't think I'll be able to afford to drive to Wyoming or Nebraska (and pick up my buddy in Colorado on the way) like I had wanted to do.

Is there anywhere off the beaten path within the path of totality that might be good to go and camp out at if I leave a couple of days or more in advance, even if I have to load up my ruck and walk somewhere from wherever I park?  I neither need nor can afford a hotel, and camping for days-on-end is not a big deal for me.

What are the carry laws like for long guns and handguns for people without a CCW permit, especially out in the boonies?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm planning to drive toward Salem if the weather forecast is good...  If not... I have to cross Mount Hood and try to get as far as I can.  If I can make it to Warm Springs I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A 40 acre beer garden.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got room?
A 40 acre beer garden.
Your place is seriously in the path of totality?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm off work that day.  I live in the path of total eclipse so we will be sitting on our back deck watching it
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ditto, when I was in elementary school there was an eclipse the school had a bunch of these special cardboard box things made so you could see the eclipse without looking directly at it and made a big deal about it. I took my turn and thought they went through all this for that? It's pretty neat but no way I would make a vacation out of it or even change my plans for the day. Different strokes
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#30]
... gonna be a cloudy day 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ditto, when I was in elementary school there was an eclipse the school had a bunch of these special cardboard box things made so you could see the eclipse without looking directly at it and made a big deal about it. I took my turn and thought they went through all this for that? It's pretty neat but no way I would make a vacation out of it or even change my plans for the day. Different strokes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last total eclipse in the U.S. took place years before I was born, the next one won't happen until I'm around retirement age, assuming I live that long.  From what I understand it is not the same experience as a partial eclipse, although those are kinda cool as well.  There was one in my area several years ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got room?
A 40 acre beer garden.
2:29 of totality
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm looking for a spot...
I don't even need the entire 40 acres! lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Op, fly to Kansas City or St. Louis on Southwest for like $200 and have the whole damn state to check shit out.

here use google maps.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:34:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Avoid the Oregon coast.  Single lane highways and thousands and thousands of extra people and cars.

And if you happen to end up in Lincoln Co, god forbid don't need a medic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#36]
 You can use this site to see how much of the eclipse you will see at whatever location you plan on viewing: https://eclipsemega.movie/simulator

Get your viewing glasses now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:13:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Op, fly to Kansas City or St. Louis on Southwest for like $200 and have the whole damn state to check shit out.

here use google maps.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html
View Quote
My house is just a few miles from the centerline of the path of full totality. I fully expect the natural phenomena to be overshadowed by the human shenanigans that will accompany it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All booked here at 5x the normal hotel rate. This area can't handle the existing auto traffic much less 5x the population.  A main concern is FOOD. Crowds already showing up in restaurants, I see hoards of Chinese, a lot of strange Germanic language also.  Pastures are renting @300$ for a tent set-up on a 20sqft area!! Money...that's what we want.
View Quote
What part of Idaho?

How far in advance of the 21st are the hotels all booked up?

I have a place that I can stay from the 18th through the 22nd.

If I were looking to stay overnight for one night in Boise on the 17th would I be SOL?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looked up your place. Great spot. If I can get the gas money, are you cool with me Cola Warrior coming on by? Any good places to camp nearby?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#40]
My brother, my father and I are driving across country, and I hope we can find room and I hope the weather is good for the eclipse.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#41]
2 min 35 sec at Beatrice, NE
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
92% coverage here I believe. I may step outside the office for minute and check it out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
92% coverage here I believe. I may step outside the office for minute and check it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how much coverage will be where my brother is at.  He's at Wright-Patterson AFB.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We're in the Seattle area, and we recently banned vacation time on Aug 21 and rescinded previously approved vacation time.  Our CEO thinks people will be stupid and look directly at the sun and end-up with permeant eye damage.  He's already said he wants everyone in the office and all blinds to be closed.z
View Quote
Seems like the whole company should come down with the flu that day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, a shitton of hype for a big nothing burger, lol as a kid(6th grader maybe) I was not impressed. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too, I have no idea what OP is talking about. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got room?
A 40 acre beer garden.
Mine is
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#48]
So are the cheap paper glasses that Amazon sells good enough?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So are the cheap paper glasses that Amazon sells good enough?  
View Quote
Yes, as long as they're from one of the reputable companies, like Rainbow Symphony.  These are what we got.  I notice the price has gone up a dollar since we got them.

We have reservations at hotels in totality in both Nebraska and Tennessee, made in August of 2016.  We'll decide where we're going two days before based on weather forecasts. Straight shot down 75, or out west on 80.  Yes, we're all big science geeks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top