Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/3/2017 1:24:25 PM EDT
I know he kind of invented a new way to hold an AR-15 or something but what what's the deal with this guy? Is he the be-all-end-all in something? Please enlighten me of my ignorance.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
First
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag, because I have no idea
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Tier 1 beard.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The beard man! Its the beard........................................and his pants!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've often wondered the same thing. Aside from coming off as a solid dude, what has he really done?  Not saying he doesn't know his shit but he just went from being in the coast guard to magpul.  I'm probably way off as I never really paid much attention to his details
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
on what's sure to be a shitshow
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
In for the answer to this .............
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]
ok ill get in here
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi guys.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for the answer to this .............
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#13]
IN!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know he kind of invented a new way to hold an AR-15 or something but what what's the deal with this guy? Is he the be-all-end-all in something? Please enlighten me of my ignorance.
View Quote

Instructor, markerter, former USCG boarding team, owner of a glorious beard and fancy pants.

ETA: you're going to make @BigPony jealous.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Never heard of him.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL look at all those Daddies fawning over the alpha in the room.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Standing by for replies...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Well regarded instructor in the firearm world.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Japanese Airsoft show. They take that shit super serious there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#20]
For info see video below fast forward to 5:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBaISwLnrgo
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
As my buddies in Alphaville would sing....

Oh, when you're big in Japan, tonight
Big in Japan, be tight
Big in Japan, ooh the eastern sea's so blue
Big in Japan, alright
Pay, then I'll sleep by your side
Things are easy when you're big in Japan
Oh, when you're big in Japan.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Some of the women at work wear pants like those LOL
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

He didn't invent that way (the "C" grip).  It's actually pretty old.  He pretty much brought it back, popularized it, and has a huge number of disciples who attend his training across the country.
Apparently, he's also pretty big in Japan, as well.  Almost as big as me.

He is a pretty good instructor (from what I've heard) and contrary to some people's opinion here, a pretty nice guy (I've met him and he was a decent dude).
As for his chops/background---I think he was Navy or Coast Guard or something.  Not sure.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#24]
He can shoot on-par with the top 3-gun competitors in the country. Not sure if he was self-taught or if he did some super secret squirrel shenanigans for the coast guard, but either way, dude can shoot, and the things he teaches are solid.

More I think about it, anything the coast guard does that involves a rifle is going to be some seriously high-speed CQB. Clearing a ship room-by-room looking for pirates or hostages has to be insane.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#25]
IIRC Him and Travis came to fame when this came out.

Magpul Dynamics Live Fire Drill

Paired with the AOTTC it forever put them in the firearms spotlight. Over the years their recognition has dwindled since they broke off from MD and others have come onto the scene to copy it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone ever done any physical properties of his ape arm technique, and if it actually does anything better than any other way of holding it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He can shoot on-par with the top 3-gun competitors in the country. Not sure if he was self-taught or if he did some super secret squirrel shenanigans for the coast guard, but either way, dude can shoot, and the things he teaches are solid.

More I think about it, anything the coast guard does that involves a rifle is going to be some seriously high-speed CQB. Clearing a ship room-by-room looking for pirates or hostages has to be insane.
View Quote
Shooting boats from a helicopter would be a little tricky too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Costa and Haley are the guys who changed the perception of "tactical" training from something done by cranky old men at places like Gunsite to something cool and hip. Mix in the internet, GWOT, video games and some new to the industry video production and marketing techniques backed by Magpul and it was a perfect storm out of a marketers wet dream. Its cool to hate on them now and they have done some goofy shit but they also basically created a market that a whole bunch of other cool guys have jumped in with both feet along with manufactures looking to capitalize on the "What pants are those" phenomenon.  

It would be interesting if there was a way to find out a dollar figure on the amount of product those two moved over the years.

Edit: If you want to see what training videos looked like before Haley/Costa/Magpul go and google Lenny Magill
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]
If it weren't for his really long left arm he'd just be another nobody with an AR. 

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Revered as a god by Japanese airsofters, and formerly GD's dream date.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well regarded instructor in the firearm world.
View Quote
First we loved him.
Then we hated him.
It's the fickle bitch Arfcom way!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#33]
One of the first openly gay trainers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If it weren't for his really long left arm he'd just be another nobody with an AR. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279546/image-245011.jpg
View Quote
My pic is just a different angle
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#35]
He's the guy Travis Haley made famous before his negligent discharge.

He is a very talented shooter, who became his own brand and diversified.

Yeah, he did a gay cat walk in Japan, but he also probably made $40,000.00 just for

that one day.  He is former Coast Guard.  He is also no longer the new hotness in this

post Magpul age.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I hate that method of holding the forearm of the AR.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#38]
In for this shit show!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Uncle Leo kicked his ass.

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Invented the ghey c-clamp hold
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#41]
You know he ministry of silly walks?

Well he represents the ministry of silly poses.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#42]
And that "C clamp" thing is uncomfortable as hell, tiring, and a bitch to use in house clearing drills.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Yup, he invented a whole new way of holding a rifle

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Never heard of him.
View Quote
I just don't care.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Costa and Haley are the guys who changed the perception of "tactical" training from something done by cranky old men at places like Gunsite to something cool and hip. Mix in the internet, GWOT, video games and some new to the industry video production and marketing techniques backed by Magpul and it was a perfect storm out of a marketers wet dream. Its cool to hate on them now and they have done some goofy shit but they also basically created a market that a whole bunch of other cool guys have jumped in with both feet along with manufactures looking to capitalize on the "What pants are those" phenomenon.  

It would be interesting if there was a way to find out a dollar figure on the amount of product those two moved over the years.

Edit: If you want to see what training videos looked like before Haley/Costa/Magpul go and google Lenny Magill
View Quote
A good summary.

I don't get the hate. The dude seems like a good guy, can shoot, and is known to be a good instructor by people that actually went to his classes. Ok, the runway thing was weird but he got paid to do that while I sit in an office all day not making shit. Who's the one who's doing it wrong?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Same here, his name is mentioned all the time but I have no idea why.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Everybody likes to hate on him but I gotta say I can't blame him for his business decisions. I view him the same way I view those Duck Commander guys.  

They recognized this is my 15 minutes and I better get paid for it.  

Yeah he catches shit for Japan, airsoft, dolls. And he was laughing all the way to the bank. The guy can live very comfortably for the rest of his life shooting guns and Fucking off.  Not many here can say that 
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Chris Costa explained.

1) People think he is a Tier 1 'operator' based on what they read on the internet versus his actual record.
2) Cult of fanboydom and Christ Costa Waifu pillows started to now the Japanese believe he is a god emperor.
3) CC basically reaffirms that most people sign up for these gun lessons are morons who have no idea who is training them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Huh,  well that informs me of who he is, I've always been an East Block Gun person or revolvers, so all the AR related news and whatnot has never tipped my fancy, which is really ironic considering I am on ar15.com
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top