Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2001 12:17:56 AM EDT
What exactly is forward assist?  Also, is there any place on the net that has a nice blow-up diagram of an AR, showing and describing all the parts?

Thanks!
-Red-
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not up on the proper terminology but I'll give it a try.
It's the "plunger" type thing on the right side of the upper. It's on the outside about level with the bolt. It's behind the bolt. If the bolt doesn't close on it's own all of the way you can push the forward assist and it will engage the bolt and push it forward. Seating it.
It's behind the brass deflecter. I hope that helps. Some older ARs might not have a forward assist. I'm not certain though.
There are people here that know EVERYTHING about the AR system. There are schematics elsewhere here also. Search the different forums.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#2]
For a diagram, try [url]http://www.fulton-armory.com/AR-15Diagram.htm[/url]

[red][size=4] P.R.K.

Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
In basic terms a forward assist is a feature of the rifle which allows you to force the bolt to close if it gets fouled and dirty inside the feed ramp area and around the bolt. I would say this would only be necessary to use if you were in a fire fight in a muddy or sandy environment that you submerged the weapon possibly. I have one on both my AR's and have never had to use them.

John
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]
oh yeah and what Garryowen said....
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was to make a simple jam a really screwed up jam.

Bill

Happiness is a warm gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Forward assist is when she reaches around and grabs your hiney and pulls........ohhhhhh nevermind [BD]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
It's that thingy that looks like a giant nail head.  You hit it with a hammer when the gun jams.  The bigger the jam-the bigger the hammer.

Nuckles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top