Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 9:54:52 PM EDT
Ok,
So are they really a necessity for mounting muzzle brakes etc?  I google'd and youtube'd and every damn vid I saw of guys putting on brakes just used the regular vice blocks/etc for the upper.  Just doesn't seem prudent.  Anyone have any experience with the cheapies from  Squirrel Daddy?  Price is right.  Any other recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Blocks of scrap wood cradling the barrel in the vice jaws have worked for me fine in a pinch if you wanna be poor.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have upper receiver vice blocks?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're worried about tweaking the upper, I believe Magpul makes a block that fits into the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an aluminum set they mark the living shit out of the barrel no matter how tight. I have been using the reaction rod for the past few years, it awesome and the only way to do upper work. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Y'all need to come over to the Magpul BEV Block side.
View Quote
Got one.  I was under the impression that for muzzle devices it was better to get something that actually grips the barrel though and not putting stress/extra torque on the barrel nut/extension.  Am I mistaken?  If so, that would be great that I could just use the BEV block then.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Blocks of scrap wood cradling the barrel in the vice jaws have worked for me fine in a pinch if you wanna be poor.
View Quote
I used a Dremel to gouge barrel channels in a couple pieces of hardwood.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have an aluminum set they mark the living shit out of the barrel no matter how tight. I have been using the reaction rod for the past few years, it awesome and the only way to do upper work. 
View Quote
Same here.  Reaction rod works well.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If you don't have a set of Forstner bits get one. They're one of those "why did I wait so long to buy this" tools. Drill a barrel sized hole in block of wood. Saw the block in half.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Got one.  I was under the impression that for muzzle devices it was better to get something that actually grips the barrel though and not putting stress/extra torque on the barrel nut/extension.  Am I mistaken?  If so, that would be great that I could just use the BEV block then.
View Quote
If you're worried about damaging something, then you're probably using waaaaay too much torque for the muzzle device.

I've had some aluminum barrel blocks for years; I wrap the barrel in leather first.    Haven't used them a whole lot since I got the BEV block though.

Hardwood with rosin will work fine as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reaction Rod is the shit. 

Another vote from me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Just put it between your knees like a real man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top