Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2017 3:09:24 PM EDT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/high-hopes-ride-marijuana-painkillers-amid-opioid-crisis-142642440--finance.html

A handful of drugmakers are taking their first steps toward developing marijuana-based painkillers, alternatives to opioids that have led to widespread abuse and caused the U.S. health regulator to ask for a withdrawal of a popular drug this month.The cannabis plant has been used for decades to manage pain and there are increasingly sophisticated marijuana products available across 29 U.S. states, as well as in the District of Columbia, where medical marijuana is legal.There are no U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved painkillers derived from marijuana, but companies such as Axim Biotechnologies Inc, Nemus Bioscience Inc and Intec Pharma Ltd have drugs in various stages of development.The companies are targeting the more than 100 million Americans who suffer from chronic pain, and are dependent on opioid painkillers such as Vicodin, or addicted to street opiates including heroin.Opioid overdose, which claimed celebrities including Prince and Heath Ledger as victims, contributed to more than 33,000 deaths in 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
wax
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
1 out of 3 Americans suffer from chronic pain?  Bull Fucking Shit.

They want to sell pot to 1 out of 3 Americans and make a bunch of money - I'll believe that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
drug companies see the writing on the wall for MJ and want a piece of that pie too. They'll market it as a "safer", more regulated and legit alternative to the small brand medical MJ and alternative to their opioids. It's a win/win for them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Good. Marijuana will be legal soon, the writing is on the wall (Arfcom statistics be damned).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
drug companies see the writing on the wall for MJ and want a piece of that pie too. They'll market it as a "safer", more regulated and legit alternative to the small brand medical MJ and alternative to their opioids. It's a win/win for them.
View Quote
Yep,and buying it through them will save you............-786%

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They want to sell pot to 1 out of 3 Americans and make a bunch of money - I'll believe that.
View Quote
So what if 30% of people want to catch a buzz.  As Long as they can get to work the next day.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy shit 100m Americans are dependant on opiods?

I would have guessed 50m, but holy fuck. That sucks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I also wouldn't be surprised if drug companies in the next 10 yrs start buying up big manufacturers of MJ edibles or even huge grow opps. When states slowly start legalizing there's tremendous money to be made and they'll be damned if that eats into their profits for prescription pain killers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]

I have a pal who makes willie nelson look like a lightweight smoker, who also has a lot of pain (medically retired army/navy man).   He insists to me that it does nothing for pain, he just likes the buzz....    I dunno, I don't give a damn either way as long as folks are responsible with it.  

I think the medical angle is just that....   a crack in the armor to get it legalized....   whatever....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I also wouldn't be surprised if drug companies in the next 10 yrs start buying up big manufacturers of MJ edibles or even huge grow opps. When states slowly start legalizing there's tremendous money to be made and they'll be damned if that eats into their profits for prescription pain killers.
View Quote
You are correct of course, but marijuana is easy to grow and edibles are easy to make at home. No one has to buy it from big pharma.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll drink to that...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well - Our weeble wobble population probably does....
According to the most recent data, adult obesity rates now exceed 35 percent in four states, 30 percent in 25 states and are above 20 percent in all states. Louisiana has the highest adult obesity rate at 36.2 percent and Colorado has the lowest at 20.2 percent.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Prescription drugs based off marijuana have been around for awhile. My guess is this is a way to re-classify and market prescription drug marijuana for "chronic pain" and set up new patents to lock in any potential revenue. Plus the cat's out of the bag on opiates since they were marketed as the best and safest thing in the 90s leading to the addiction and heroin epidemic today. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depending on the area, 1/3 sounds about right due to having a larger percentage of older people and those whose work involves manual labor. It also includes things like migraines, too.(Those who get them can tell you that there aren't many medications that help as well as cannabis)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You are correct of course, but marijuana is easy to grow and edibles are easy to make at home. No one has to buy it from big pharma.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

consider the motivation level of your typical pot head.  The market will be massive.  How many colorado pot heads are making their own edibles vs are just buying them?  My bet would be a 1:10 ratio.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

consider the motivation level of your typical pot head.  The market will be massive.  How many colorado pot heads are making their own edibles vs are just buying them?  My bet would be a 1:10 ratio.
View Quote
True, but once big pharma gets hold of it they will ass rape you unless you use insurance to get your "discount". If the price is too high at the pharmacy, people will get it elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Rinos will fight it
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
1/3?  I believe it.  Have you seen the amount of obese people lately?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing specifically in response to the claims in the article from the OP, but in general narcotics are fairly destructive and anything to get us off those is a plus in my mind.  If that ends up being THC medications, so be it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#22]
How MJ is considered pain-killer ?! Once upon a time I made a mistake to sit stoned at dentist chair. Horrible experience. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#23]
My cousin is in pain 24/7 from a car wreck when she was 14 "broken hip, neck and shoulder". She has never taken opioid type meds unless it's extremely painful that day. I for one hope they do work, at least people like her would be able to get out of bed every day without much help or take a shower without having to sit down in a chair much less be able to function more than 20%
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got arthritis, neuropathy and old age pains every hour of every day.

I take nothing because I don't like feeling doped up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless the Big Pharma lobbyists push the feds the crack down on states legalizing it.

Could end up with an AG that has a hard on for weed (gateway to heroin and crack and all) that goes against the states as well.

A SCOTUS ruling on the federal governments ability to ban a plant could be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll drink to that...
View Quote
For medicinal purposes only,right?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good. Marijuana will be legal soon, the writing is on the wall (Arfcom statistics be damned).
View Quote
Didn't the poll here a few months ago have GD in overwhelming favor of legalization?  The problem here is the handful of vocal Reefer Madness followers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Depending on the area, 1/3 sounds about right due to having a larger percentage of older people and those whose work involves manual labor. It also includes things like migraines, too.(Those who get them can tell you that there aren't many medications that help as well as cannabis)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad wreck here, TBI, and a bunch of other shit...both non stop headache and pain since the wreck in 13....A long list of drugs and procedures tried but zero help...its a kind of misery that most cannot understand unless they have dealt with it...I used to think I was pretty tough..not anymore....would welcome anything that could give any kind of life back....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Why?  THC is nowhere in the same arena as most anti-inflammatories; much less opioids.

Hell; there's really no true medicinal use for weed; other than getting high (and that surely isn't medicinal).  Anti-nausea?  lol. Yeah right.  Glaucoma?   You're not shitting me.

People who like weed (including doper doctors) will fabricate any reason in the world to smoke. Just smoke.  Don't make shit up to justify your habit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why?  THC is nowhere in the same arena as most anti-inflammatories; much less opioids.

Hell; there's really no true medicinal use for weed; other than getting high (and that surely isn't medicinal).  Anti-nausea?  lol. Yeah right.  Glaucoma?   You're not shitting me.

People who like weed (including doper doctors) will fabricate any reason in the world to smoke. Just smoke.  Don't make shit up to justify your habit.
View Quote
I think its cannabidiol(CBD) that they think is the true medicinal help if I remember right......
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#31]
As soon as they come to market, all of a sudden, MJ will become legal......but only if you have a script for one of their products.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you are completely wrong - stating this as both a physician and a patient.

Yea, people that like weed will fabricate any reason to justify its use but that is no different from any other medication that has abuse potential.

Medical marijuana none-the-less has many benefits for a variety of medical issues.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
MJ has been shown to treat various pains and even symptoms of cancer, some of which currently have no other treatments.

If you want to accuse everyone who points out it's medical uses as just looking for an excuse to get high, that's fine. Just acknowledge that it's wrong for the state to prevent people from pursuing whatever line of treatment they see fit, and that your preconceptions have no grounding in scientific facts.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#34]
So we're going to see Pharma commercials for these new meds? Lovely.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I have to take painkillers daily, and trust me, you don't want to take opioids regularly, because if you skip a dose you get sick in a bad way. If MJ will actually work for real pain--which I am skeptical of--then I'd gladly choose it as a safer alternative. Right now I'm trying a new opioid-like drug called Nucynta for breakthrough, and it looks promising. The more options we have the better off we are. Hopefully in ten years opioids will be uncommon.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So what if 30% of people want to catch a buzz.  As Long as they can get to work the next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you're admitting that the "medical marijuana" claims are nothing but a bunch of   Good, I thought so.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
.I used to think I was pretty tough..not anymore....would welcome anything that could give any kind of life back....
View Quote
I hear ya man. 17 years with a chronic condition and I used to think the same thing. Thought I was tough as hell for dealing with it and not complaining but over the years it just wears you down mentally and physically. 
I can't take any NSAID and I hate taking Opiates. Hopefully this is something that works. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Holy shit 100m Americans are dependant on opiods?

I would have guessed 50m, but holy fuck. That sucks.
View Quote
My mom and dad both on them.

Dad needs 2 new knee's and has 3 discs giving him issues in his back on percocet.

Mom had a cyst form on her spinal cord, had to have a piece of vertebrae taken out to get to it, has and always has had osteoperosis bone will not heal like a normal person, has severe back pain and is on morphine and has been for about 12 years since her surgery. It was either have the surgery and not become a paraplegic or have the surgery and be able to walk and hope the bones healed correctly which they didn't now horrible pain but she can walk and make it through the day.

I hate it for both of them, it affects their personalities.

I was on percocet for about a year when I had a slipped disc and when I had my fusion came off of them cold turkey about 2 months after my surgery, I was addicted to them too it was a little rough but didn't need rehab or nothing.

I can understand how people get addicted to them especially if they affect people like me and my dad, both of us they make hyper and we feel like we can do anything, my mom and wife however go straight to sleep most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Coming soon to your local pharmacy!

Doobafed

Highlenol

Highbuprofen

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
If there is our right legalization like tobacco or booze I would be more inclined to think either tobacco or booze mfg's get into the game before the pharmaceutical companies would, whey buy something from a drug store you can grow/get at a head shop.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
It will begin with bob Marley singing and everyone will be wearing tie dye
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#42]
In before the Drug Warriors rant on about "dopers"
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I could see it, depending on what you consider "chronic pain".  28% of the US population is over the age of 55, and everyone I know over 55 has something that hurts them all the time, be it a bad back, arthritis, bad knees/hips, whatever.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
You are right, it isn't in the same league as those habit inducing drugs that create all-new medical problems for their users.  However...

Ask someone with Parkinson's if there's no true medical use.  Ask the parents of epileptic children whose seizures are controlled or prevented using cannibis oil.  Ask the cancer patients who are able to improve their quality of life or even cure their cancer.  
Sounds like you are the one making shit up to justify your conditioned prejudice against the plant.  There has been an extreme lack of scientific research into the potential medical benefits to be derived from this specific plant until the last decade or so because politicians made it a "drug" a long time ago.  Now the science is being blocked and/or neutered due to old stigmas and stubborn lawmakers.  

Why promote mis-information?  Look into the real, documented medical benefits before you claim there are none. You've limited your scope of examples to subjective benefits easily characterized as smokescreen excuses to get high.    
Sure, there are folks who are doing exactly what you are saying but there are also benefits you haven't considered.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#45]
LOL its a money grab and nothing more.  Plus most people hooked on opiods don't generally look to get less of a high, they go the other route.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
LOL its a money grab and nothing more.
View Quote
This just in: pharmaceutical manufacturers are for-profit entities.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Can some ARFDOCS explain this to me?

I thought most painkillers WERE made from Marijuana - that's the whole idea of opioid based painkillers

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I desperately need to take Opioids but allow myself to live life  suffering instead.  I would welcome a new painkiller with less side effects and that is not addictive.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Why not just plant it in the ground and use it after it grows

Why do we have to make this complicated
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Am I missing something?
View Quote
The latex of the opium poppy (papaver somniferum) is the starting point for opium and its derivatives. Many modern opioids are synthetic or semi-synthetic and some chemicals present in the latex can be synthesized (like morphine), but the latex of the plant contains morphine and codeine.

Marijuana (cannabis) is a different genus of plants.

ETA: Pictures

Papaver somniferum:

Cannabis sativa:
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top