Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 9:07:16 AM EDT
Every time I rent a car they give me both key fobs locked together. What is the point in this?

If they want to give the customer two fobs, it completely defeats the point when they are locked together. Can't give keep one and give one to the wife, if one gets lost, locked in the trunk, etc. they're both gone. I understand they want the keys with the car in case someone picks it up in Tucson and drops it off in Tallahassee but why in the hell do they lock them together.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#1]
So they don't have to keep track of the other one and can charge you twice as much?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:I understand they want the keys with the car in case someone picks it up in Tucson and drops it off in Tallahassee but why in the hell do they lock them together.
View Quote

That way they both make it to Talahassee, and you don't end up paying for a lost fob if you return your car in Tucson.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you imagine the cluster fuck when one fob goes home with a customer and only one got turned in?

Most people are fucking idiots. Don't assume everyone is as smart as you. It's just safer that way.

Repeat after me: The world is FULL of ass holes and fools. Now say that 10 times every morning before you walk out the front door and you will see the world as it truly is.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
They were that way when I rented a car for vacation last summer.

I cut the cable. Fuck that shit of having that big cluster fuck to deal with.

I did cable them back together before turning them in. No big deal.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Avis only gives me one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Enterprise has around 1.4m cars and trucks among its brands.  You want to pay to keep track of them all?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, there is pretty much no other way to do it.... I work with Enterprise daily.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146014/images--4--237012.jpg

Will a car/truck door even lock with keys inside anymore?
View Quote
A 2016 Uhaul whatever it was moving van sure as shit will auto lock with the keys inside.  Ask me how I know. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, there is pretty much no other way to do it.... I work with Enterprise daily.
View Quote
Why can't they cable lock one set somewhere in the trunk or something?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Every time they do that, I cut the cable then ziptie them together when I turn them back in. Never been an issue
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't get it either.

I figured they could sell the extra fob and make some return on it, or keep the extra fob incase they need to re-flash it for another car.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then someone has to go look and see if the key is still there all the time.

It just convenient for them to issue "1" key, and track it as 1.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Criminals are good at criminalinginging so that would be a major reason.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I cut them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Avis only gives me one.
View Quote

The other one is in the trunk under the spare. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Two is one, and one is none.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I kew this was going to be your post.

It's stupid plus they crimp the "quick disconnect" so you can't do anything with it...barring using a pari of dykes...hey, wait a minute...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, I cut them, too. No way will that big ol wad of fobs go in your pocket. I think they're used to getting them back cut.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I work for a rental car company and we don't do that.

We have a storage room with nothing but folders containing vehicle info, pertinent documents, and the spare key fob in case one gets lost we can overnight it to the customer or location.

It is very, very rare that customers lose keys but common for them to check a vehicle back in and just leave with them by accident.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Last time we had a rental vehicle the guy said we were free to cut the tie and my wife and I could each have a key, just make sure to return both of them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I just assume part of the reason was that they want to make sure that when you're in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, you have two functional key fobs, especially in cars that can't be opened or started with a  key.

If I need to use both, I just cut the cable and tell them it fell apart.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I always cut the cable, can't fit two of those monstrosities in my skinny jeans
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They were that way when I rented a car for vacation last summer.

I cut the cable. Fuck that shit of having that big cluster fuck to deal with.

I did cable them back together before turning them in. No big deal.
View Quote
This. Mine have all used a big zip tie with enough slack to cut up against the locking end and still have a long enough tag end to re-lock it when I was done. Didn't even need to bring my own giant zip tie.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I kew this was going to be your post.

It's stupid plus they crimp the "quick disconnect" so you can't do anything with it...barring using a pari of dykes...hey, wait a minute...
View Quote
Now now ... lets leave the LGBTQ-whatever iteration it has now... out of this... (dykes vs dikes - for diagonal cutters)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A 2016 Uhaul whatever it was moving van sure as shit will auto lock with the keys inside.  Ask me how I know. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146014/images--4--237012.jpg

Will a car/truck door even lock with keys inside anymore?
He's talking about new cars which nearly all have smart keys.  Not a bare bones E-350 chassis truck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How do you handle a customer who drops at a different location?
View Quote
They hand the keys to the person checking in the vehicle if they drop during business hours, or they throw them in the night drop box.

If for some reason they run of with the keys we call them immediately to try and get them. If we cant reach them then we have to overnight the keys to the location.

Again though, it is very very rare that a customer doesn't return the keys with the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#32]
That way they stay together when they sell it at 30k miles 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Rented a dodge minivan for vacation last year. 2 gigantic key fobs and tag cabled together. Cut that thing, made a new cable for returning. They never noticed the difference.

It makes sense on their end, but for the consumer? Better off if you're handy enough to make a new cable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#34]
So they don't have to spend a small fortune to replace one when they sell the car for dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yeah, I cut them, too. No way will that big ol wad of fobs go in your pocket. I think they're used to getting them back cut.
View Quote
We are. I fix a dozen every day. 

We also hear constantly how it isn't their fault they lost the second key and they won't pay to replace it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top