Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 2:15:39 PM EDT
Under contract for my new house. In the seller's notes was the option to have the seller's Samsung 85" LED 4K TV as negotiable.

Link to TV

After we put the offer in, and they accepted, the seller said that the 85" TV in fact had two lines running through it; damage from an object that was thrown at the TV. My realtor got another TV from the house included in addition to the 85" (not nearly as big or nice, though).

When we did the inspection today, I turned on the TV and see this:
Attachment Attached File

Definitely worse than I thought it would be.

Other than me just being pissed that they had the gall to include it initially as "negotiable" for what is essentially a useless TV in its current state, I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to repair and try to put that on the seller before closing. If it was an $800 TV, no big deal. But this is an $8K and was negotiated before the condition was disclosed.

Quick research tells me that LED repair is vastly more expensive than LCD. Some say it is better to just buy a new TV.

What say the hive? Negotiate a new TV or get an estimate for repair? I don't know TVs well enough to make an informed decision.

TL;DR Big LED TV that was included in my new home is basically useless from a screen crack. Is getting it repaired worth it or should I negotiate a new one?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I would take $8k off the price. If you're financing that will cost $30-40k (guessing) over 30 years.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds to me like they misrepresented the condition. no way i'd pay for it. take 8k off the sale, or walk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like something hit that tv.  Have them take the TVs and buy your own.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
And above the fireplace.

Why didn't they just mount it to the ceiling since you practically have to look straight up at it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd probably call a local TV place and get their opinion.

Personally, I'd figure on telling them it's a damn no-go and come get the damn thing. That's pretty shady.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top