Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2017 12:52:06 PM EDT
Spending a weekend in Birmingham. What's there to do? Open to suggestion. Also would like to know where not to go or end up (if there's any areas to stir clear from). Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Get out, the entire place is ghetto... Don't get killed is the best thing to do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What part of Birmingham?  It makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Drive east and visit the CMP
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drive east and visit the CMP
View Quote
beat me to it..   go to anniston, regret it you will not.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The city center is fairly safe but there are some areas of Birmingham that you don't want to go to.  The Birmingham area is composed of several(17 I believe) separate cities.  Hoover, Vestavia, Mountain Brook and several others are very safe.  The ones that are the most dangerous are Birmingham(the city itself), Bessemer, Brighton, Midfield and Lipscomb.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Spending a weekend in Birmingham. What's there to do? Open to suggestion. Also would like to know where not to go or end up (if there's any areas to stir clear from). Thanks
View Quote

you can spend the weekend with me. . . . .

on a serious note what the hell brings you to this shitty little blue county?  I'm originally from Huntsville but I've been living in Bham for 10 years now, Hoover to be exact (Ross Bridge).  It's a bunch of cities in a city so there's this constant inner-city rivalry thing that is strange to me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
What's there to do?  Visit the Vulcan.  Hoover Tactical. Various other gun stores.  Galleria Mall.  Lots of good places to eat depending on your budget.  Red Mountain park.  Museum(Downtown Birmingham).  Bass Pro on eastern side.  It would help to know when and were you are staying.  Lots of craft beer if you are into that stuff.

Gosh.  I am forgetting some of the best things to do.

Things to Do in Birmingham
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
catch a Baron's game if they are playing.  lots of decent bars downtown as well.  Of course, I'm not a baby back bitch, so I actually hang out in the city after dark.
schedule
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's there to do?  Visit the Vulcan.  Hoover Tactical. Various other gun stores.  Galleria Mall.  Lots of good places to eat depending on your budget.  Red Mountain park.  Museum(Downtown Birmingham).  Bass Pro on eastern side.  It would help to know when and were you are staying.  Lots of craft beer if you are into that stuff.

Gosh.  I am forgetting some of the best things to do.

Things to Do in Birmingham
View Quote
Thanks ;) @gunham
Meadowbrook/Hover area is where I am staying at.

Quoted:

on a serious note what the hell brings you to this shitty little blue county?  I'm originally from Huntsville but I've been living in Bham for 10 years now, Hoover to be exact (Ross Bridge).  It's a bunch of cities in a city so there's this constant inner-city rivalry thing that is strange to me.
View Quote
Racing @ Dega @spyder1329
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Really depends on what you are in to. There are several brew-pubs down town along with decent food.

Five points, Lakeview district, Avondale are all safe.

If you don't like eating or drinking Idk what to tell you've besides that.

The ball park is nice. Good People is right across the street too.

Avoid north Birmingham. Pretty much the closer you are to the airport the shittier the area.

Lived and work in Bham my entire life.

Edit: everyone raves on Dreamland BBQ but I would skip it and check out Saws or Moe's BBQ.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Rocket City is awesome, we liked it better than NASA Houston.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Hope you make it till Monday.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#13]
you know what i'm doing this weekend.....FOP Range (Pleasant Grove) and playing golf at Oxmoor valley, because league play got rained out Tuesday , should be a fun weekend
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
been here my entire life. Against the odds...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Racing @ Dega
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Racing @ Dega
Check out the Motorsports museum at the front entrance of the track. You also need to go to Barbers if you are the gear head type.

Bass Pro is maybe 1/4 mi from barbers but it's not any more special than the others.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Have fun and stay safe, stay away from the West side. I'm from the Hueytown/Bessemer area and will say "don't get lost". The CMP is awesome in the Talladega area, and Mountainbrook/Hoover has a lot of shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. How long will you be visiting?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks ;) @gunham

Racing @ Dega @spyder1329
View Quote
CMP range then...it's down the street.  Even if you don't shoot you gotta at least check it out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Really, the violence of the natives is Way over rated.  You should be ok driving thru any area but some areas do have more violent/insane people than others.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Check out the Motorsports museum at the front entrance of the track. You also need to go to Barbers if you are the gear head type.

Bass Pro is maybe 1/4 mi from barbers but it's not any more special than the others.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, what's Barbers @KR35RR?

Quoted:

CMP range then...it's down the street.  Even if you don't shoot you gotta at least check it out.
Sweet @spyder1329, was about to ask about the CMP. What's all there... just a big place?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rocket City is awesome, we liked it better than NASA Houston.
View Quote
f' yeah you did because huntsville is a clean city full of smart people
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The city center is fairly safe but there are some areas of Birmingham that you don't want to go to.  The Birmingham area is composed of several(17 I believe) separate cities.  Hoover, Vestavia, Mountain Brook and several others are very safe.  The ones that are the most dangerous are Birmingham(the city itself), Bessemer, Brighton, Midfield and Lipscomb.
View Quote
Don't forget Hooper city, Midfield, Fairfield, Easley, etc
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks, what's Barbers @KR35RR?

Sweet @spyder1329, was about to ask about the CMP. What's all there... just a big place?
View Quote
disney world for shooting

i mean...just look at it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I can't stop at a Waffle House I might not make it til Monday
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Really depends on what you are in to. There are several brew-pubs down town along with decent food.

Five points, Lakeview district, Avondale are all safe.

If you don't like eating or drinking Idk what to tell you've besides that.

The ball park is nice. Good People is right across the street too.

Avoid north Birmingham. Pretty much the closer you are to the airport the shittier the area.

Lived and work in Bham my entire life.

Edit: everyone raves on Dreamland BBQ but I would skip it and check out Saws or Moe's BBQ.
View Quote
I still can't get use to Avondale being called a good part of the city now lol. I remember the first time I went to the NS north yard on a midnight shift one night when I first started, I was scared shitless when hobo jermaine came up to me looking for "BoBo"

ETA: not a fan of dreamland myself. Saws is way better. I will even go to Full Moon over Dreamland.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

disney world for shooting
View Quote
If I can scram that in.... it's on the top of my list. Although you previous mentioned golf. Though I might skip that, I do that a lot as it. Have a good round here @Spyder1329.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Barber's for sure!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get out, the entire place is ghetto... Don't get killed is the best thing to do.
View Quote
This OP, I lived in Hoover for 5 years (south suburb), if you are in an area and the address says Birmingham you are in the ghetto. Seriously hate that city, saw the other day it was named 2nd worst city in the country behind only Detroit...

But if you have to venture into Birmingham stay far away from Ensley, North Birmingham, and Gate city, that narrows it down to the south side of town. Not joking the 1st 48 I am pretty sure has non-stop filming crews in these areas.

Sorry Birmingham is pretty much the butthole of the universe...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I still can't get use to Avondale being called a good part of the city now lol. I remember the first time I went to the NS north yard on a midnight shift one night when I first started, I was scared shitless when hobo jermaine came up to me looking for "BoBo"
View Quote
nothing like the old days of taking a troll through Avondale park seeing used condoms and needles strung about

The hipsters have done a good job cleaning that place up
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Hoover /Meadowbrook safe along the 280 hwy?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've pulled many a tracks in the North yard only armed with a radio and lantern

280 is fine. I can't get my quotes to work for shit on my phone
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Barber's Motorsports park, the museum is excellent. The Talladega Civilian Marksmanship Park is east of Birmingham but is well worth the short drive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Barber's Motorsports park, the museum is excellent. The Talladega Civilian Marksmanship Park is east of Birmingham but is well worth the short drive.
View Quote
good idea
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Clicky
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@Sonicx
View Quote
Looks like racing, barbers, and Disney Land of the South it is boys!!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've pulled many a tracks in the North yard only armed with a radio and lantern
View Quote

Man, I could hear this guy talking to himself for like a minute before he finally strolled up on me. I already had my Kershaw pulled and flipped open in hand. Lantern was off trying to hide. It he still caught me lmao. After I told him I hadn't seen brother bobo he went on his merry way.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. That area is about it
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

280 is fine. I can't get my quotes to work for shit on my phone
View Quote
Thanks, I just never never know going down south where's a good spot to stay and where I think is a good spot but shouldn't be here let along with equipment ha. Decent boyz.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes. That area is about it
View Quote
I ain't planning be out past midnight nor looking for the night life.

Edit: I've tagged this thread. GD is solid when it comes to traveling advice. Sure appreciate anyone advice.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Man, I could hear this guy talking to himself for like a minute before he finally strolled up on me. I already had my Kershaw pulled and flipped open in hand. Lantern was off trying to hide. It he still caught me lmao. After I told him I hadn't seen brother bobo he went on his merry way.
View Quote
I always thought you guys had it worse. I had my truck window busted out at our depot on 16th street about a year ago. Only time I've ever had issues there though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't go to Bham. Best advice I can give, unfortunately I have to go there Friday.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks, I just never never know going down south where's a good spot to stay and where I think is a good spot but shouldn't be here let along with equipment ha. Decent boyz.
View Quote
No worries. There is only a 50/50 chance you will end up on The First 48 so...

No seriously, you will be fine. Just don't go too far from the boat so to speak and you will have a good time. If you get in a jam, PM me for my cell #.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't listen to all the scaredy cats. Just avoid the bad areas (they'll be obvious) like any other city and enjoy yourself. 

Great restaurants and breweries. Awesome minor league ballpark. Amazing golf. 

If you want some tourist attractions -
Barber Motorsports Park (world class motorcycle museum)
McWane Center and Birmingham Zoo (for kids)

For shopping, go to the outlets in Leeds. They have a cool drive in theater too.

Pepper's Place is a good farmer's market on Saturday morning. 

For shooting, Hoover Tactical has a nice shop and indoor range. CMP Park in Talladega (hour away) is worth a trip by itself. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I always thought you guys had it worse. I had my truck window busted out at our depot on 16th street about a year ago. Only time I've ever had issues there though.
View Quote
We usually get a few windows busted out around the holidays lol. Couple years ago a guy at work had his windshield shot out. Bullet was in the floor board. Van got it last year. .45 slug was in the front seat lol.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go to Niki's West on Finley Ave. for dinner. They have a cafeteria-style line with the most delicious Southern dishes you'll ever eat. The prices are reasonable and the food is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#47]
@Saxplayer

@Bcaus3y
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I can only recommend a restaurant - Saw's Barbeque.  Get the pork over collard greens, I had never heard of such a concoction but it is heavenly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Ollies for lunch
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Go to Niki's West on Finley Ave. for dinner. They have a cafeteria-style line with the most delicious Southern dishes you'll ever eat. The prices are reasonable and the food is awesome.
View Quote
No fucking way would I send an out of towner to Nikki's. Finley Ave is not an area to get lost in.

There are plenty of places to check out other than North Birmingham OP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top