Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 4:58:41 PM EDT
Looking to pick up a few Ossoff signs and attach targets to them 

The election is over, and a lot of them seem to be in public areas like intersections or highway exit ramps.

Is it legal to grab a couple Ossoff signs if they are in public spaces?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
In high school some of my friends decided to grab about 100 campaign signs and stick them in my front yard overnight.  Parents weren't happy.

Not sure if it was legal for them to take them though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Just don't do it in North Korea
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just don't do it in North Korea
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, taking something that you dont own is called theft.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
They are suppose to remove them after the election is over, but none of the assholes do, around here a few have got warnings for not removing them in the past.

Just be a human and ask if you can take them down, no reason to put yourself in jeopardy.

Most of the time, if they lost, they really don't give a shit about them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably go by his capaign office and dig a bunch out of the dumpster. Once thrown away they are free game.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If they're in the right of way they're fair game.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't say about GA, but up here signs have to be removed within a few days or else the campaigns who leave them there are supposed to be fined.  So often they are left out that I suspect some campaigns would be happy to see them taken down by somebody else.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I've taken the losers signs before, they make good targets or backers. There is currently a billboard of last years loser for sheriff still up half a mile from the courthouse.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Isn't leaving something in public called littering?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually if you check many state and local laws/ordinances about temporary/cardboard/plastic signage of any kind placed in the public domain/property, it's usually even illegal to do so...and not always just under the littering laws.  The placing of signs like garage sales, puppies for sale, political campaigns, etc. all fall in the same category when they're nailed to a power/phone pole or stuck in the ground on a stake when the property is public right of way or just plain ol' public property is almost always illegal in most jurisdictions.  Though not usually enforced with any gusto, it's still usually illegal.

So...removing those signs in those cases on public property is almost never illegal.  Now, I would recommend you check local laws/ordinances to be sure, but most highway departments, refuse departments, street departments, police departments, etc., etc., would thank you.  If those signs are in someone's yard or other private property, it goes without saying that it could be theft in most jurisdictions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
It was illegal to put them in public areas to start with. You'd be saving the city labor by removing them yourself.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#14]
After a certain time period it's essentially, illegal dumping.   Back when Ron Paul was running I collected a ton of them, the big 4x8 ones had some nice T-posts attached.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#15]
After the national election this past November we did a neighborhood clean up, lots of target backers and hangers for the local gun club.
I have no idea if it was legal, but we only took those signs that were on public property i.e. on the right of ways not out of people's yards.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Take them. It's called cleaning up.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Not exactly the Crime of the Century to take a few campaign signs when the election is over.

You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I doubt anyone will stop you.  I see people do that all the time before the election is over, because they don't approve of the candidate.  But I also see these things left behind for months.  If you get caught, just say you're cleaning up.

If you can post pictures of some of the reactions to your target
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are suppose to remove them after the election is over, but none of the assholes do, around here a few have got warnings for not removing them in the past.

Just be a human and ask if you can take them down, no reason to put yourself in jeopardy.

Most of the time, if they lost, they really don't give a shit about them.
View Quote
I got some huge 4x8 foot signs made from that plastic cardboard stuff. I am going to cut them into target backers. This was at least two weeks after election. I figured i was doing a public service  by removing them 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I always have a stack of them. Never had a problem getting them the day after an election.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Plastic corrugated election signs make great target backers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got some huge 4x8 foot signs made from that plastic cardboard stuff. I am going to cut them into target backers. This was at least two weeks after election. I figured i was doing a public service  by removing them 
View Quote

Yeah that stuff is awesome.

Just don't jump the gun and pull down any signs before the election.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  If questioned, you are helping remove the signs.  What you do with them afterward is your business.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If they're in the right of way they're fair game.
View Quote
This. They weren't supposed to be there in the first place, I've picked up probably 100 of them for garage sale signs, etc over the years with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]
If it's on the right-of-way it's litter.  You are just doing your civic duty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top