Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/21/2017 3:29:53 PM EDT
Ran across this article today, black guy whining about being stopped by PD "6-10 times in 6 years" and saying how out of the ordinary this was, of course due to his blackness....

I'm a 32 year old white guy who drives pretty responsibly most of the time, road time split between a Corvette and a Pickup truck, and I've been stopped about 10ish times in the last decade too. Oddly more times in the truck than the corvette. 2 tickets only. I think the CHL saved my ass more than a few times.

I asked most of the guys at my clinic and they seemed to have a similar experience.

So, for those of you who have had at least a few years behind the wheel, how many times have you been pulled over in a 5-10 year span? Out of curiousity, how many tickets did you get? Also, if you care, state your race.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 30, driving regularly since I turned 18. I've never been pulled over or stopped by a cop. I don't drive especially quickly or especially slowly, just your typical five-ish over on normal roads, speed of traffic on highways and interstates.

My only vehicle-related interactions with cops have been:
1. Parking tickets (never even saw the meter maid / cop / etc.)
2. Rear ended a lady at a stop light once, cop came out and said we could either handle it ourselves via insurance or he could issue me a ticket. The lady I hit graciously declined to ask the cop to give me a ticket.
3. Some jerkoffs broke into my truck, and the cops woke me up to tell me about it.

ETA: I'm a pasty white guy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably 20-30. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
twice... That Asian privilege be workin's for me, y'all. 

Actually, it sucked because i got a ticket each time. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
In the 30 or so years I've been driving, I've been pulled over three times.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I got stopped twice in two different vehicles just this past Saturday. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I think zero in the last 10 years.

I don't speed excessively* and I keep my vehicle in working order with proper plates and stickers.

*No more that 5-10 over at highway speeds. I go the limit in neighborhoods and in town.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Stopped 3 times, 2 speeding tickets and 1 warning.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Once, he claimed i rolled a stop sign, which i didnt.
Got a warning and went on my way.
In the last 10 years i have been driving yukon denali's and crew cab silverado's, so i dont stand out.

Now 18-28 i drove a primer grey then primer black leveled s10 on some fat ass tires for road race and got pulled over everytime i drove it.
The truck was gutted and only had two racing seats and half a dash, so never any searchs, they all just wanted to know about the truck and told me keep my speed in check.
One younger officer even spotted me doing a 100 yard rolling burn out, then a dougnut in a intersection. He came up to window laughing his ass off Asking for a smoke, we talked about the truck and he went on his way.

But that was vastly different times back then.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Zero.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Too many to count if you include DUI checkpoints.

Last few years hasn't been so bad though
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Zero. I drive like an angel and stay on top of replacing burned out bulbs.

Oh, and I'm a clean cut white guy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Once, edit twice. Buy one the guy knew my. Dad and let me go. Second time was bs, and got a ticket. I do tend to drive fast(er) but I'm really good.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Two, both for speeding and 100% deserved.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ran across this article today, black guy whining about being stopped by PD "6-10 times in 6 years" and saying how out of the ordinary this was, of course due to his blackness....
View Quote
What was he stopped for and how much driving does he do? There's a big difference between someone who rarely drives and obeys the law getting pulled over frequently, vs someone who spends hours on the road everyday and thinks there's a magical 5-10mph speed limit forgiveness zone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#15]
None but I've ridden in a few police cars and SUVs.   My buddy's new Exploder is pretty bad ass.  Blacked out twin turbo.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Twice.  Both for speeding on interstate.  One ticket and one warning.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Once speeding (not egregious). Let me go.

Once seat belt. Let me go.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Hadn't had a ticket in over 20 years, then got two in the same week in two different states 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Half a dozen or so. I have a lead foot.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm 41. The only time I've been pulled over was when I was 16. Too dark window tint. Received a verbal warning.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#22]
32 yeas old and I've been stopped 3 times in the last decade. 1 of those times was treated as a felony stop while in CA. Apparently, 3 dudes in a truck wearing red on the way to a football game will attract attention from law enforcement in the Bay Area.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
5-7 times
1 ticket (72 in a 65)
Multiple warnings
White but military/veteran
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Got arrested in Mexico around 1985 for Speeding in a School Zone out in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. No school. It was just an excuse to scare me and shake me down for some money. They wanted $600 to let me out of jail. I asked to see a judge and they said I could go on my way for $4.00. I gave them $5.00, they did not offer me any change and I drove away. Never been back to Mexico.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Being 23 and young and dumb... ive been stopped 5 times for speeding(3 tickets), once for a cracked windshield, and once in a park after hours. 4 of those times with a handgun without ccw( i live in the free state of arizona), always have been respectful and kept hands on steering wheel and told the officer if it makes him more comfortable i can stand outside the vehicle. And guess what i have had zero extra holes put in my body!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]
20+, resulting in 11 speeding tickets, I (used to) drive like an asshole
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I was pulled over 4 times between 1996-2000. 2 tickets and 2 warnings. Have not been pulled over since.

Both times I got speeding tickets there were people going faster than me and passing me. If I were black, I am sure I would have thought I was pulled over for being black.

Both warnings were BS. One was for "speeding up at a yellow light". There is nothing illegal about that as long as the speed limit has not been broken and the light was not red when I cleared the intersection.

The other was for making a left turn on red. I pulled up into the intersection to allow traffic behind me to move. I was not able to find a break in traffic until the light was turning red. I guess this cop thought it was better to block traffic for a few hundred yards behind me while I waited to make the turn. If I didn't pull up into the intersection, I would have been sitting there blocking traffic behind me until the rush hour traffic slowed a couple hours later.

I did get hit by a red light cam a year ago. I had been making a right turn at this intersection for years. They decided to put a "no turn on red" sign there with a camera to generate revenue. I had been making that turn for years, so I didn't really notice that they put a new restriction on right turns. I didn't know about it until I got a ticket in the mail. One of my friends got hit at the same intersection. He didn't notice the new sign either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I put on roughly 35k miles a year. Last 10 years I've been pulled over twice, both warnings. I have a heavy foot, but someone always has a heavier one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#29]
In the last decade? Zero.

I turned 45 a couple of weeks ago, have been driving since I was 16, I drive ever day and I've been pulled over a grand total of twice, the last time was almost 20 years ago.

I got a warning in 1994 for going 47 in a 35 by a town cop a couple towns over from me when they'd just changed the speed limit from 45 within a week prior to me being pulled over; and in 1998 I got a ticket for going 78 in a 65 on I-80...but I can't complain about that one since the State Trooper actually shaved it down and I was actually going 90-something. I was also armed both times and didn't get proned out or anything of the sort.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Double tapped
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Twice. Both for speeding.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Speeding, neighbor left front door open no one answered the door and i was not entering I called po-po to do wellness check make sure he was not dead in side, and I see cops at work all the time when they are walking around keeping these crazy kids in line.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#34]
One.
In college I was the DD one night, drunk friend in the backseat thought it was a good idea to shoot a cop the bird. It wasn't.
No ticket though.

ETA: stopped me because the one of the bulbs illuminating the license plate was burnt out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Once. My license plate had an expired registration. But all was okay, I had the new sticker in my glove compartment and had just forgotten about it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been pulled over once in my life.   It was the day I got my drivers license.

The cop didn't think I was old enough to drive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a weird run for 2 months last year.. I was pulled over 5 times by DPS for no front plate.
Was handed the plate when I bought the vehicle and never put it on, then lost it in a move.
Never got a ticket, just thought it was funny.. was never pulled over for that before or since
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Twice I think.  Got a warning for speeding and got a ticket for an expired tag sticker (forgot to renew it).

Oh, and there was a BS fishing expedition where a cop gave me a warning for having a license plate light out.  Since that stop, it's been working perfectly for five years now. 
Pretty sure he just pulled me over because I entered the road and then left it again within 1/4 mile, right after he pulled out behind me.  I was running errands, and those two stores were on my list.  Nice of him to waste my time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Despite my driving habbits, I can count on one hand the times I've been pulled over in 17 years worth of driving.

I deserved every ticket I got, though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Stop breaking the law, asshole!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#42]
4 times.

Once was a ticket for running a stop sign which was total BS-I'd been sitting there on the phone for several seconds-10-20 at least.
Once for speeding. Got off with a warning- thanks Officer!
Once for speeding while passing- bs, but o.k. I guess I was supposed to pass someone going 55. Yeah everybody does that.
Once for an out headlight. Got a warning because I had the headlight replacement in hand and was heading home to fix it, and I pointed out to the cop that his right taillight was out.

Got a couple courtesy light flashes telling me to cool it...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been pulled over once in the last decade - it was a little irritating.  I was pulled over for an expired registration one day after the expiration date, on a day the county clerks office was closed.  Yeah ok I could have renewed before the expiration date but you'd think they have something better to do than hassle me.  I don't think I got a ticket, I just ran down to the county clerk and then over to the court house to get it dismissed.  Still annoying.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Now that I think about it 4 times,  just a friendly warning.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#45]
My most recent was last Thursday night.  The wife and I were on a trip to Pennsylvania, so we decided the last night to drive to Manhattan, stay for a couple of hours, and drive back (it was only 2 hours away).  We'd never been there before, and have always wanted to go and see the basic touristy stuff.  We saw Rockefeller Center and explored Times Square.  Finally, I wanted to at least drive down to the WTC area and see what we could see, knowing everything is closed (it was after midnight).  On the way there, under some bridge (no clue where I was), the NYC police were pulling over every car going in one direction and checking IDs.  I complied and amazingly, didn't get shot!  I rolled the window down, showed my DL, they asked if I was there for sightseeing and I said yes.  Really easy, and I was on my way.  That's the first encounter I've had with a cop in my car in about 9 years I think.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#46]
About a month ago for a burned out taillight at 10PM, verbal fix it
About a year ago for going 10 over, verbal warning
About 4 years ago in TN for what I suspect was a trolling attempt due to having out of state plates. Driver and I  got the third degree.
Around 6 years ago, as a passenger in a friend's vehicle after making a wrong turn after bar time, nothing came of it
Around 8 years ago, as a passenger in friend's vehicle speeding, no ticket
Around 8 years ago, asked if I had seen anyone matching a description (while drinking a beer walking down a side street )
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I traveled a lot in South Georgia and North Florida .   Many small towns have/had 1 or 2 man police forces .  With out of county tags I was stopped constantly and basically asked what I was doing there .  

And I stay the fuck out of the cursed state of south carolina .  Worst speed trap fuckers around .

gd
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Let's see:

1. Driving around what I thought was an accident but apparently missed the whole DUI checkpoint thing outside St. Louis.  No biggie says the cop
2. Driving through a small Kansas town lost as last year's Easter eggs and a cop seemed to notice my bewildered look and stopped me to help me out (and to remind me of the speed limit but no ticket)
3. Pulling out onto I65 in KY after sleeping a bit on the off ramp (I was freaking exhausted and needed a nap).  State trooper must have thought I was a drunk sleeping it off and pulled me over.  Was very polite
4. In Ohio on I70 for...something.  It was a weird situation in which the car in front of me over reacted to seeing a highway patrol car (went from 70 to 40 mph) and caused me to damn near rear end him.  HWY patrol said I was tailgating as we passed him.  No ticket.
5. Going home from work in the last two years and my kid calls saying my MIL did not show up to pick her up.  While working the phone to see what's up and also driving faster to get to my kid I got popped.  Cop reduced ticket in an effort to get me to simply pay it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Last time was for right turn on pink in early 1992.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Once, 85 in a 70. Deserved the ticket, paid it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top