Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 1:54:23 AM EDT
I want to learn spearfishing.  It has been something I've been trying to do for a while now but time is hard to change me by and so are people to teach me.

Anyway I'm hoping to get together with some folks and possibly get to spear some fish later this year but I need to develop my breath holding ability. I'm doing an apnea dry training circuit using a phone app. Right now I'm doing CO2 tables. My max breath hold was a little over a minute and after I do the tables through I'm hoping to have increased to a minute thirty or maybe more.

Anyone else spearfish?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quit smoking

Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quit smoking

Practice makes perfect.
View Quote
I don't smoke.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#3]
What type of spearfishing you plan on doing? Shoreline or Deep water?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What type of spearfishing you plan on doing? Shoreline or Deep water?
View Quote
Shoreline reefs etc. nothing open water. Not yet anyway.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi. So Where are you located, geographically?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:25:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Shoreline reefs etc. nothing open water. Not yet anyway.
View Quote
That's they type we used to do. Rarely would we go deeper than 40ft.(some places the bottom drops out faster than other areas).

No real trick just keep going. As time goes on you'll find yourself looking in more areas with one breath.  Here the fish would be under ledges in holes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Practice all the time, and get super fit.

Didn't do spear fishing, but growing up in the water all the time friends and I used to see who could stay underwater the longest. Took a while but over time it went from a minute to two, to eventually 3.5-4 minutes.

Of course getting older and out of shape/ smoking killed it for me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Blow up a lot of balloons ... a lot . Get one of them balls in a tube to keep at a certain level. Try a treadmill with a snorkel on and breathe only using tube.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Three factors.  VO2 (blood capacity) and lung volume (lung capacity) determine how much oxygen you can hold, and fitness plus bodyweight determines how fast you'll use it.

You can't really increase lung volume by that much.  Not being fat, and learning how to breathe is pretty much the best you can do.

VO2, however, improves greatly with general fitness.  A collegiate varsity athlete has almost double the VO2 of the average adult.  Whatever cardio you want to do will help immensely.

General fitness also improves your efficiency.  An athlete will use something like 20% less oxygen for the same workload as a normal adult.

The rest is down to pain tolerance and practice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Relaxation is half the battle
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:42:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to spear fish but it's like I gained this mental block of not being able to hold my breath for long. I don't see how people can hold for so long. Still go out, but just to free dive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want to learn spearfishing.  It has been something I've been trying to do for a while now but time is hard to change me by and so are people to teach me.

Anyway I'm hoping to get together with some folks and possibly get to spear some fish later this year but I need to develop my breath holding ability. I'm doing an apnea dry training circuit using a phone app. Right now I'm doing CO2 tables. My max breath hold was a little over a minute and after I do the tables through I'm hoping to have increased to a minute thirty or maybe more.

Anyone else spearfish?
View Quote

Dont just train the inhale/hold. Train the exhale and depleted. So for instance 30 sec inhale/1 minute hold/30 second exhale/30 sec depleted/2 minute rest repeat. Figure out a pyramid with that template that works for you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Hyperventilate beforehand hand to really pump up the oxygen in your blood... Supposedly
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#16]

But seriously, don't do max breath holding shit in the water alone

The longest I've done was 3:30

Also, remember that actually swimming while holding your breath will deplete your oxygen far quicker than a static breath hold.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hyperventilate beforehand hand to really pump up the oxygen in your blood... Supposedly
View Quote
It doesn't. What it does is clear your system of CO2. It just delays your urge to breath, and increases the chances that you will black out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#19]
You need a pool and a 20lb dumbbell and a friend with a stopwatch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#20]
One of the things to train (as mentioned) is the ability to hold your breath while performing physical activity.

When I was a kid, one of the fun games we played that trained this was for everyone to stand in about 4' of water with feet wide apart, in a staggered line.

The idea was to see who could stay underwater the longest while swimming between everyone's legs (like a skiier through a slalom).

The other thing we tried was to see how many laps we could swim underwater, the breadth of an Olympic sized pool. Back then, I managed 3 widths of the pool underwater. I also managed to hold my breath underwater for 5:54. I was working on breaking the 6 minute mark when I read about some dumbass breaking 7:30 (back in the late '80's) and I thought, "Well, f### it".

One of the training techniques that can be done without water is simply any physical activity while holding your breath.

A common one was to see how many situps you can do on one breath (works best if you can do at least 100 situps in a row).

You can also try holding your breath for duration on a treadmill or exercise bike.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Relaxation is half the battle
View Quote
This is true.

When you're making your dive you need to be relaxed, comfortable and use only those muscles required.

No land based excercise compares to swimming for increasing your time. And swimming laps underwater teaches you to be comfortable and relaxed and to use only the muscles needed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Too much of that leads to shallow water blackout, and drowning. The fitter and more able you are the greater the risk.

Your body tells you to breath when CO2 has built up, not when oxygen is depleted. "Hyperventilating" removes CO2, increasing risk of blackout.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It doesn't. What it does is clear your system of CO2. It just delays your urge to breath, and increases the chances that you will black out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Respiratory Physiology 101

The main trigger to breathe is blood pH with receptors in the brainstem.  As CO2 rises, pH drops.  This is why we breath while asleep.  It gets a little complicated but hyperventilating increases your chances of something going wrong.

Some light reading:

Freediving blackout
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Done a lot of under water work when I was younger. Free diving.

So, I'm staying out of this. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't now about the underwater part but search 'Wim Hoff'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top