BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/20/2017 11:24:06 PM EDT
Get on my poll.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever gets my ass out the door faster...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTP

use self checkout exclusively. 

Edit: IATP

Fucking phone. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
wallyworld has been changing out and adding their new
self checkout machines across the country.

Can't buy booze in a self checkout so you get stuck
behind the Zombies of wallyworld.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I hesr ya. I just want to get what I need and then GTFO ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care either way. I just went out for some groceries and only self-checkout was open. All good except for the asshat with the loaded cart blocking the whole area.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can work as fast as a decent cashier, then go for it. If you're grandma that takes 10 minutes to figure out how to swipe and where to put your card, then you shouldn't be shopping anywhere other than the 100 year old hardware store for your shit and you suck. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I almost always use it if available. The only place I have issues is at Wally World. I can never get the darn plastic bags open to put stuff in. No problem at Kroger, ever. But Walmart every time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If i have a small carry basket I'll use self checkout exclusively unless I can get into an express lane that is empty!
If I have a huge cart full of stuff with coupons I'll go through the "long line".
I prefer the self check lane because it is ALWAYS the fastest!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

wallyworld has been changing out and adding their new
self checkout machines across the country.
View Quote
Our Wallyworld has you choose between Muslim women in flowing black robes at registers or self-check out.

The self-checkouts are very busy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can't buy booze in a self checkout so you get stuck
behind the Zombies of wallyworld.
View Quote
That's funny, you can here, you just need the person overseeing the registers to come punch in a code for you. You'd figure you could scan your license like you do with lottery machines.

I much prefer self checkout. Seems like a labor savor too, since you can have one person "running" ten points of sale instead of just one. For some reason the idiots around here always shut the self checkout down first and leave us in the long-ass lines at night.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on how much shit I'm buying. Less than 10 items, self checkout. A whole cart full of groceries, they can fucking scan it and bag it up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wish it would quit asking me if I want to bag a fucking 24 pack
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I reckon we'll all check out when we check out. I'm in no hurry. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer a real cashier... but when I've only got 3-4 items... and no coupons or other shenanigans to deal with... and all the cashiers have full lines... but the self check out is wide open... I'm going for the self check out.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#17]
For a few items, self checkout rocks.  For a shopping cart full of stuff, I'll wait for a cashier.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Prefer self check out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not the fucking checkout girl. That basket of groceries or whateverthefuckibuy costs the same in the self checkout and in the lane where an employee actually runs a register.

Fuck you, I'm not covering your labor costs, you've already built them into the sell price, bitches.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer Self-Checkout to minimize interaction with the troglodytes/orcs that most places put on checkout duty.

I want Automatized Fast Food Ordering and production too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#21]
FPNI, again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#22]
You should get a discount for self check out, but you don't.  It's horsehshit like the 12 ounce of coffee you get in a one pound can.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm better at checking groceries than the people that get paid to do it. So....self checkout for me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I prefer it, as I only purchase in small quantities at stores that offer it... I no longer have to talk with a dirt bag employee who can careless about their job.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You should get a discount for self check out, but you don't.  It's horsehshit like the 12 ounce of coffee you get in a one pound can.
View Quote
You could argue that you DO get a discount, though it's not upfront...

I am sure there are far more shopliftings and "accidental theft" that is partially offsets their savings on labor, though. I would be interested in seeing the numbers on that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer cashier cause JOBS people.

Can't believe how poor customer service has gotten.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#27]
The damn self check out machine never works right, even when an employee tries to use it to check me out after it has pissed me off.
I refuse to use self check out and will keep the cashiers employed by using cashiers.

I feel the same way about the ATM in the bank lobby. It has replaced several tellers that used to be there.
I will keep tellers employed by using them at the bank.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
While I agree, I argue them bitching because they can't "live" on their stepping stone job and become downright lazy (because they don't make $15 per hour)... Is why they are being replaced with self check out or kiosk.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I hate it. Something always goes wrong that stalls the machine, requiring a worker to come fix. Ends up being slower than the regular line. At least when my wife is checking out. Strange how it never has problems when I do it...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I reckon we'll all check out when we check out. I'm in no hurry. 
View Quote
I wish I had your patience sir. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Imma go ahead and let  'Ol Billy Red Nuts explain this on my behalf:

Bill Burr Goes to the Grocery Store
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I prefer self checkout because JOBS people.
The amount of high paying jobs that were required to design and build the system, not to mention the ongoing jobs needed to fill the technical requirements to continuously  calibrate and certify the self check out systems far out weigh the cheap temporary labor at the checkout isles. 
But that's just my opinion... 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate it.

My dad loves it.

He checkes out by putting all his change in from his 5 gallon jugs. He says it's better than rolling quarters and taking it to the bank and way better than a CoinStar that takes 10%.

70 years old.  $70 worth of items...

Drop a quarter. Drop a quarter. Drop a quarter. Drop a dime. Etc.

Everyone loves my dad.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm faster than the store checkers!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I like them.  Even my 83 year old mother uses them for a few items.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Worthless as fuck at the local walmart.

They have a self checkout section with 10 machines... and at night they shut down all but 2 of them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm surprised it's legal in Oregon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I prefer self checkout because JOBS people.
The amount of high paying jobs that were required to design and build the system, not to mention the ongoing jobs needed to fill the technical requirements to continuously  calibrate and certify the self check out systems far out weigh the cheap temporary labor at the checkout isles. 
But that's just my opinion... 
View Quote
Better put, then my angle (always comes off a bit ass-wholish to liberals)
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I hate those brain dead idiot machines.

I try to buy a 10 foot 1/2" pipe at Home Despot and the damned machine bitches I have not placed the item in the bagging area.

I want a timer to begin at the start of the process (ready to scan 1st item)

After the transaction is complete and I have a receipt in had the timer stops and the machine pays me for my time, in cash at the prevailing local minimum wage.

If there are problems checking out I get paid for those delays - just like any other human cashier waiting for a manager to show up and provide an over ride code.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm single and just shop for myself, so when I go to the grocery store I get the carry basket and fill it with a handful of things. I'll do the self check unless I'm buying beer, in which case it's usually quicker going through the express lane. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I like it as long as the computer is programmed right.
Saves me from dealing with Chatty Cathy cashier.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Prolly just a pistol to the head ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I loved the self checkout the Wal Mart put in when I was in high school that forgot to flag age restricted items, like booze. I made a killing buying shit for people those couple weeks before they caught it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Depends on how much shit I'm buying. Less than 10 items, self checkout. A whole cart full of groceries, they can fucking scan it and bag it up.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Time is money. You can take the shorter line at the self checkout and be done faster or you can wait in the linger cashier line.  How much you value your time determines your discount.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Self checkout should give the customer an automatic discount of a few percent to cover the store's savings from not paying an employee, as compensation for the inconvenience of having to scan and bag your own items.

Yes, for just a few small things it can be faster than waiting in line. But the only reason you have to wait in line is because the store under-staffs the registers to save money, forcing you to waste time in line. If they had enough registers open, your checkout speed would rival self checkout for a few small items.

That said, I have been using self checkout rather than wait in line. But that doesn't change the fact the store either profits from my time making me wait in line with too few registers open, or they profit from my labor making me scan and bag in self checkout.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#49]
I hate self check out and never use it. I don't want to hunt around for the code & weight for my 5 bananas or deal with a pack of pork chops where the sticker is wrinkled up and won't scan. Or try to get the attention of the attendant who is covering 6+ checkouts to prove I can in fact buy this bottle of wine.

Same reason I never use drive thru's. I want to know what exactly I am buying, whom I am buying it from, and who to yell at when shit gets fugged up.

My job is to select the things I want to buy, and pay for them, nothing more. I am not a cashier, I am a customer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Checking myself out hopefully never.... oh wait you mean at the store. Depends on how much crap I have and how many of one product I am not scanning 20 bottles of cola, scan one and they can put in 19 more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top