Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 12:49:12 AM EDT
Bought a new-to-us commuter car today,  2015 Mazda 3.  the seller swapped better rims on it and put some tires on the rims. On the way home I noticed it was pulling to the left slightly.

once I got home I looked at the tires.  Passenger side is 215x60xr16 and drivers side is 205x60xr16.

can I just swap one tire from each side to get 205x60r16 on the front and 215x60r16 on the back or do I need to get rid of two of these tires and get same size on all 4 tires?

This  would just be for the next month,  I'll eventually match them but is it OK for now to drive two different sizes as long as I make sure the matching sizes are on front and back respectively?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought a new commuter car today,  2015 Mazda 3.  the seller swapped new rims on it and put some tires on the rims. On the way home I noticed it was pulling to the left slightly.

once I got home I looked at the tires.  Passenger side is 215x60xr16 and drivers side is 205x60xr16.

can I just swap one tire from each side to get 205x60r16 on the front and 215x60r16 on the back or do I need to get rid of two of these tires and get same size on all 4 tires?

This  would just be for the next month,  I'll eventually match them but is it OK for now to drive two different sizes as long as I make sure the matching sizes are on front and back respectively?
View Quote

They are going to have different diameters so you need to not have them on the front (driven) wheels.  I would put whatever the correct size is on the front and the other size on the rear until I could get proper replacements.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as the tire rotation isn't fixed and won't result in one rotating in the opposite direction than designed when you do the swap, you'll be fine.  Stick the slightly wider ones on the drive wheels for a little more traction, if you have clearance.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, just get get the same sizes on the front and rear respectively.
Hell, many performance cars come with staggered tires.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bought a new-to-us commuter car today,  2015 Mazda 3.  the seller swapped better rims on it and put some tires on the rims. On the way home I noticed it was pulling to the left slightly.
View Quote
Get 205/50-16 for all four.
You can drive around with the mismatched tires until you get the new ones. Its not a huge difference in circumference and width.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]
It depends if this will be on an asphalt or a dirt track?

Tire stagger is an important tool in the racers toolbox
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Just depends on the car, I know on our Subaru All Wheel drive, it is a big no no to run different sized tires, it can really fuck things up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Put the oddball size on back so you don't ruin your transmission. Only leave it on until you have money to replace it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Go look at the tyre placard, then buy whatever's on that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go look at the tyre placard, then buy whatever's on that.
View Quote
bingo. what size is recommended for the car?  go from there, buying whatever tires you need to match them all up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They are going to have different diameters so you need to not have them on the front (driven) wheels.  I would put whatever the correct size is on the front and the other size on the rear until I could get proper replacements.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, just get get the same sizes on the front and rear respectively.
Hell, many performance cars come with staggered tires.
View Quote
Yep. Just swap them so the front and back each have the same diameter on passenger and driver side.

If these tires have plenty of life in them there's no reason to replace them. Just burn them out and go from there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#13]
A 205 is not always a  205. The actual sizes would have to be measured to know just how much difference there really is but really,if the sizes were true-and they aren't-we are talking about 60% of a 10mm difference. The pull you were feeling is almost certainly due to alignment rather than tires.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It depends if this will be on an asphalt or a dirt track?

Tire stagger is an important tool in the racers toolbox
View Quote
Should have been first post.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope, need to be the same size.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I swapped the 215's to the front and 205's to the back, which was a total PITA due to these TINY little splined lug nuts, and the pull is gone. Drives straight as an arrow now.

That'll buy me some time to get two more 205's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top