Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/17/2017 2:20:28 PM EDT
The Illinois official responsible for paying the state's bills is warning that new court orders mean her office must pay out more each month than Illinois receives in revenue.

Comptroller Susana Mendoza must prioritize what gets paid as Illinois nears its third year without a state budget.

A mix of state law, court orders and pressure from credit rating agencies requires some items be paid first. Those include debt and pension payments, state worker paychecks and some school funding.

Mendoza says a recent court order regarding money owed for Medicaid bills means mandated payments will eat up 100 percent of Illinois' monthly revenue.

There would be no money left for so-called "discretionary" spending - a category that in Illinois includes school buses, domestic violence shelters and some ambulance services.
View Quote
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APFN_US_ILLINOIS_PAYING_THE_BILLS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-17-11-53-44

So, when does the system crash? Will there be plenty of popcorn?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
People don't think math be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfectly illustrates the folly of nondiscretionary funding, especially with health care or other things that don't have a point at which they are "new" or "reposessable" for default.

But other states will ignore the warning, as always.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
FDR and JFK were right-- public workers should never be allowed to unionize.

Dems plus unions equals racketeering.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you ever win the lottery, always take the cash. a few years down the road, the state may decide that they can't afford to pay you and will easily have the public jealously on their side.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I am hoping that the welfare rats and others who suck up money from this state move on to greener pastures. We should not be paying for 80% of the crap the Dems in this state pay for. That is what charities are for.

ETA: Why should my tax dollars pay for some poor person to get free dental care, free housing free.................................
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
At least the road construction will be stopped when I have to drive one end of that state to the other twice over the 4th holiday.  With luck the State troopers will be home also
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am hoping that the welfare rats and others who suck up money from this state move on to greener pastures. We should not be paying for 80% of the crap the Dems in this state pay for. That is what charities are for.

ETA: Why should my tax dollars pay for some poor person to get free dental care, free housing free.................................
View Quote
Guarantee you they will withhold paying PD's and firefighters so they can keep doling out the free shit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<snipped>

View Quote
How dare you! 

Boob jobs and Tranny surgery are basic human rights!  Especially for the less fortunate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
But not to WI, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#10]
They are going to go crying to uncle sam and he better not bail them out.  The Dem's just ruin shit, so let them live with it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
More government spending and debt should fix that right up
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#12]
They are financially screwed;
S&P, Moody's Downgrade Illinois to Near Junk, Lowest Ever for a U.S. State

They will be America's Greece, they will get bailout after bailout and never fix a thing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are financially screwed;
S&P, Moody's Downgrade Illinois to Near Junk, Lowest Ever for a U.S. State

They will be America's Greece, they will get bailout after bailout and never fix a thing.
View Quote
If they get a bailout, it will just open the flood gates for all states.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If they get a bailout, it will just open the flood gates for all states.
View Quote
I don't see bailouts under Trump. He has a pretty good understanding of bankruptcy as a strategic tool.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
If they get a federal bailout then:

Trump needs to fire the governor and all state legislatures.

Run the state by appointees until solvent.

Start with new elections for every position in the state and all previous office holders are NOT eligible to run.

Also scrap all their stupid laws and bring them up to standard for a free state.

Make the price of stupidity steep.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Guarantee you they will withhold paying PD's and firefighters so they can keep doling out the free shit.
View Quote
and so they can screech to the taxpayers that "we must raise taxes, or else we'll cut Public Safety's funding!!"  Seen that game played before.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Easy answer, fireman and PD call and tell their bosses they don't work for free and won't be coming into work until they receive their check. Once society breaks down and chaos ensues I bet they get paid ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Eventually you run out of other people's money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
No problem. Just rewrite the state tax code so the 1% can pay their fair share and they will have a surplus they can use for inner-city educational and vocational training.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you ever win the lottery, always take the cash. a few years down the road, the state may decide that they can't afford to pay you and will easily have the public jealously on their side.
View Quote
Wait what?  You mean for the last couple years?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-lottery-lawsuit-met-20150909-story.html

http://newzmagazine.com/2017/01/27/lottery-winners-go-claim-288m-winnings-state-refuses-pay/
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#21]
It's an ugly state! A bug state!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder how far behind California is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Liberals running out of other people's money to spend.  Who'd of thought that???
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No problem. Just rewrite the state tax code so the 1% can pay their fair share and they will have a surplus they can use for inner-city educational and vocational training.
View Quote
Unfortunately, you could liquidate the 1% - take every penny and still be 95% short.  This is the fundamental intelligence problem of the voting  liberals.

Entitlements and stupid spending buy votes, votes equal power, power equals wealth.  What do we think liberal politicians want? - to run a balanced government or gain wealth?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Start with new elections for every position in the state and all previous office holders are NOT eligible to run.

Also scrap all their stupid laws and bring them up to standard for a free state.

View Quote
Iike the cut of your jib. You have a near perfect plan.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I really like this idea.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]
It is IMPOSSIBLE to pay all the bills that they have waiting to be paid.  .    

Illinois has the HIGHEST leaving the state numbers of all 50 states.  Losing a lot of TAXPAYERS to other states with less tax burden and more jobs.  

10% sales tax in Cook (CROOK) county.  They want to raise the state income tax again.

This is IMPOSSIBLE to fix...................................Democrats have controlled this state since I was born....More than 60 years.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Let them borrow cash from Puerto Rico. 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI

this can't be a surprise to anyone.  WSJ has been reporting on the situation for at least 10 years.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Eventually they'll get to the point where they can either pay existing employees or the pensions but not both.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I am Jacks complete lack of surprise. 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lottery already dumped Illinois because the have to pay the winners in IOUs.

Pretty soon they'll have to pay all their bills in the same fashion.

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I believe government officials who can't run their government should be banned from further government "service."

If you're so bad at math and so bad at not caring about the future of the government you are "running" that you run it into the ground/bankrupt it then you should be allowed to do that kind of a job anymore.

McDonald's for all of them.  

Force them out to improve the chances for people with more sense and more fiscal responsibility.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#35]
The facts are they had the money to fund the pensions, which are the biggest burden. Yet the dems who have been in charge of the house and the senate for as long as I remember chose to spend the money on other things. Republican governors in the past went along with it so as to keep things running. They had a large tax increase that they let expire a few years ago. It was supposed to all go to paying down the debt. But as you can guess it didn't all go for it and the dems let it expire because they didn't want to be the "bad guys". They have a majority in both the house and senate, but won't do shit. Why? Because they want to be able to blame things on the republicans. I am not a big republican, but I now for straight party ticket due to the shit dems.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Current governor has his hands tied because of the house speaker who has been around for 30+ years has enough cronines to say how high when he says jump.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
FDR and JFK were right-- public workers should never be allowed to unionize.
View Quote
FDR was opposed to them; JFK signed the first EO to allow federal employees collectively bargain.  Nixon signed another one when he was President.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#38]
My property tax bill rose to over 21,000. I have two more years until kids graduate HS. I sold my home and radically downsized- tax bill is still 4500, but we are in the same school district. Others I know are doing the same prior to exiting this fuckhole.

The 32 year old kid who took out a 740,000 mortgage to buy my place is going to get a shock when the Cook County Assessor updates the value of the home.

All of this to live in a town 19 minutes from downtown via Metra where armed robberies and car jackings  are becoming a regular occurrence.

Failed state- yep- I'm living the dream baby!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, just have Obama print a shit ton of fake money to keep everything afloat.

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It is IMPOSSIBLE to pay all the bills that they have waiting to be paid.  .    

Illinois has the HIGHEST leaving the state numbers of all 50 states.  Losing a lot of TAXPAYERS to other states with less tax burden and more jobs.  

10% sales tax in Cook (CROOK) county.  They want to raise the state income tax again.

This is IMPOSSIBLE to fix...................................Democrats have controlled this state since I was born....More than 60 years.
View Quote
Not entirely accurate.  Governor's Thompson,  Edgar,  and Ryan were all republican.  And the legislature was majority republican until the 90s, iirc.

IL Republicans are almost as bad as the Democrats unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It is IMPOSSIBLE to pay all the bills that they have waiting to be paid. .    

Illinois has the HIGHEST leaving the state numbers of all 50 states. Losing a lot of TAXPAYERS to other states with less tax burden and more jobs.
View Quote
In the other 'Illinois is going BK' thread, there were 2 responses from IL residents who said "I'm stuck here until I get my pension in x years".  They didn't seem to understand they're not going to get their pension.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In the other 'Illinois is going BK' thread, there were 2 responses from IL residents who said "I'm stuck here until I get my pension in x years".  They didn't seem to understand they're not going to get their pension.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illinois has the HIGHEST leaving the state numbers of all 50 states. Losing a lot of TAXPAYERS to other states with less tax burden and more jobs.
Those morons actually think the Illinois Supreme Court ruling can abrogate math. Seriously- that's the mindset of our "public servants".
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe they have a pension coming from a private company, like UPS or something.  If they think the state will be paying up, that is a pretty big crap shoot.  But if the average pension is worth 2 million (as one of the charts estimated) in lifetime payouts maybe it is a worthwhile crapshoot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Those morons actually think the Illinois Supreme Court ruling can abrogate math. Seriously- that's the mindset of our "public servants".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Approximately half of the registered voters in the United States seem to believe that legislation can alter various fundamental laws of economics, and they will get quite violent with you if you attempt to educate them on this point.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't seem to understand they weren't state employees.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Eventually you run out of other people's money.
View Quote
Yes indeed!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI, math is going to math!
Ray Charles should be able to see what's coming, they can only manipulate the numbers for so long.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My property tax bill rose to over 21,000. I have two more years until kids graduate HS. I sold my home and radically downsized- tax bill is still 4500, but we are in the same school district. Others I know are doing the same prior to exiting this fuckhole.

The 32 year old kid who took out a 740,000 mortgage to buy my place is going to get a shock when the Cook County Assessor updates the value of the home.

All of this to live in a town 19 minutes from downtown via Metra where armed robberies and car jackings  are becoming a regular occurrence.

Failed state- yep- I'm living the dream baby!
View Quote
Park Ridge??

It is nice though...
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't believe that something that sounds as dumb as that could be so spot on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Welcome to Democrat Math, where money is not real.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top