Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2017 4:46:07 AM EDT
I went for a drive around an hour ago and took these between 11:30pm and Midnight ish.  Thought you guys might get a kick out of them. 

This will be updated over the weekend with photos from the different things I'm going to.  Saturday night is the Midnight Sun Marathon (starts at 10pm finishes at Midnight) which I'll hopefully be at the finish line.  Sunday is the Midnight Sun Festival downtown from noon to midnight.  LOTS of stuff there.  Wednesday is the Midnight Sun baseball game, which I'm hoping I'll feel well enough to go to and take photos of.  Been on my list forever even though I don't care for baseball.  Just neat and haven't done it in 30 years of living here.

Thread will be retitled when I add event stuff.
Update 1: further down page 1 with some local photos from my driving today.
Update 2: Midnight Sun Run marathon page 2
Update 3: Midnight Sun Festival page 2
Update 4: Midnight Sun baseball game <TBD>

All were taken handheld with my Nikon D7200.  
1. Nikon 70-300mm @300mm 1/250 f/9 ISO 250
2. Tokina 12-24mm @12mm 1/60 f/20 ISO 180
3. Tokina 12-24mm @12mm 1/125 f/9 ISO 140
4. Tokina 12-24mm @12mm 1/60 f/9 ISO 200
4. Tokina 12-24mm @12mm 1/60 f/9 ISO 1100

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely stunning 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely stunning 
View Quote
I love this time of year.  Unfortunately we pay for it in winter, but there is nothing like going trout fishing at the midnight ish golden hour.  They go nuts and you can pull them in almost as fast as you can get a hook in the water.  Going to try to catch my 10 a day limit for rainbows over the weekend.   Well, if I'm not crazy busy with all the festival stuff going on.  Marathon Saturday night that I'm going to try to take photos of, festival downtown all Sunday, baseball game at Midnight Wednesday that I need to get tickets for, etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Forgot a photo.  Added to OP
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
What are temperatures and wind conditions like?

I'm thinking a paramotor vacation would be awesome with round-the-clock sun... if the wind isn't bad... I could fly all damn day and night!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow. Beautiful.

My next adventure is going to be to Alaska. It's #1 on my Bucket list.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This was going to be my question.

Amazing photos.

I've been in Northern Europe during the summer ( Bet you cant guess where ) And while the sky was lit, the sun wasn't above the horizon. Crazy feeling. Sun was up from about 3am to 11pm-ish

Going drinking all night was a trip
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm thinking a paramotor vacation would be awesome with round-the-clock sun... if the wind isn't bad... I could fly all damn day and night!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Right at 50f with zero wind (ground level) and 10 mile visibility flight conditions.  Starting to get a bit darker, but it is 1 am.  Will brighten back up in an hour or two, but it's just a bit past normal sunset ish light outside right now.

We hit 90f last week but are back to cool normal now with 70's in the day, high 40 low 50's at night, barring rain.

Quoted:
Wow. Beautiful.

My next adventure is going to be to Alaska. It's #1 on my Bucket list.
Thanks, it's one of the things I'm really going to miss when I leave.    Gotta do it for my health though, so I'm taking as many photos as I can between now and then.

But Alaska is absolutely beautiful no matter what time of year you come visit.  Just depends on what you want to see really.  June is perfect in the summer as you'll normally miss the wildfire season but still get the light, weather, and local holidays.  Late October to mid November or Late Feb to mid March are fantastic for aurora viewing.  Still probably cold for most people though as it could still be -30f at points.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This was going to be my question.

Amazing photos.

I've been in Northern Europe during the summer ( Bet you cant guess where ) And while the sky was lit, the sun wasn't above the horizon. Crazy feeling. Sun was up from about 3am to 11pm-ish

Going drinking all night was a trip
View Quote
Conditions are in the post above this. 

But I love the tourists looking all exhausted and still plugging along until you go 'dude, it's 2 am.  What are you doing?' and they freak out  Great fishing though.  I would have poked around at the lake a bit more, but there was a grizzly kill on the other side of it a week or so ago and I didn't have a sidearm on me.  Granted there were plenty of people at the lake fishing and whatnot still, but I didn't want to tempt fate and try to fight off a bear with a tripod. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Great pictures. I was supposed to be moving there about this time but it got delayed until late August/early September. I'll have to catch it in person next year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#10]
All good and well until the reverse happens.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Ill be there next month    .... Me and my son...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great pictures. I was supposed to be moving there about this time but it got delayed until late August/early September. I'll have to catch it in person next year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Good luck on your drive up, and there will still be plenty of light in August, but we're down to normal hours in September for the most part.  Still not a bad time to get here though, as you'll be catching the tip of aurora season.  Are you going to Eielson/Wainwright or JBER?

Quoted:
Ill be there next month    .... Me and my son...
Barring a horrible fire season, there will be plenty of light to do a ton of stuff outside.  Fairbanks (where I'm at) gets a decent bit more than Anchorage, but it all comes down to where you are going.  Poke your head into the HTF and we'll try to send you the right way on stuff.

Quoted:
All good and well until the reverse happens.
Not really a full reverse, but we do only get 4 hours of daylight on the winter solstice.  Upside is plenty of aurora viewing, but after 30 years up here I'm pretty used to the cold. 

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Alrighty, it's 2 am and still light out (I'll add an iphone pic to this post in a minute) so I'm going to bed after clearing off the camera gear. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to wainwright.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm going to wainwright.
View Quote
 The local Fairbanks/North Pole arf guys are a good bunch.  After you get settled, let us know if you want to see anything local or know where stuff is.  Even if we can't get free (or I'm too damn sick) we can at least point you the right direction.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for posting those pictures. We live in a beautiful world, man. I haven't been up to Alaska in 20 years, but such good memories of the scenery.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice!

That's a beautiful place and way up there on my bucket list.

But tell me, what's the vampire situation like in the winter?  I hear that they love the place.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Lovely

I have never been to Alaska, but I have twice had the pleasure of spending Mdsmmmer in Finland in a very similar environment

It was also festive  
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice!

That's a beautiful place and way up there on my bucket list.

But tell me, what's the vampire situation like in the winter?  I hear that they love the place.
View Quote
Most of the lawyers can afford to fly south for the winter 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Very Nice NP!!
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#22]
My GF's step dad lives and works up there flying all over the state.  I gotta get up there before he retires and moves back down to the lower 48.  It's always been on my bucket list.

Amazing pics OP!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome pictures! Very cool share.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Beautiful pics dude.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Awesome pics as always man
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Absolutely stunning 
View Quote
Until you really have to sleep. Kinda sucked when I worked in Canada and the workday on the RR Bridges lasted forever. Then, you didn't know when to quit drinking  and get some sleep for the next day of work. Good times though, made a pile of money, spent it the next winter.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Looking at the pictures is awesome, because you get the views without the swarms of mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy hell!  Those are amazing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#29]
FPNI

fantastic photos
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Not quite as far north,I just looked it up and between Juneau and Anchorage, but can still go to the beach at 10:00 if you want to be blinded

The city skyline,as it is,from our place at 3:00 AM

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I love this time of year.  Unfortunately we pay for it in winter, but there is nothing like going trout fishing at the midnight ish golden hour.
View Quote
I would not change the four seasons for anything. I like it when the winters are cold and snowy but summers hot. Oh, awesome photos. I´ve always wanted to visit Alaska. Maybe someday I will.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Phenomenal pictures, as always thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#34]
NorthPolar in pic 1 is that the Mtn range you can see out by the general avaiation side of the airport (SE)?  Alaska Range?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice work...been north far enough to have the sun set pretty late but never far enough to experience midnight sun.
so thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
NorthPolar in pic 1 is that the Mtn range you can see out by the general avaiation side of the airport (SE)?  Alaska Range?
View Quote
Yup. Just taken from closer to Eielson AFB instead of the airport. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looking at those photos I'm thinking that getting a STOL aircraft like the Maule that's currently got my eye and making a flying and camping excursion of Alaska one summer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looking at those photos I'm thinking that getting a STOL aircraft like the Maule that's currently got my eye and making a flying and camping excursion of Alaska one summer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the STOL championships they have up here. Some of the guys can go from front gear touchdown to full stop in 3-4' and airborne in the same.  On a taildragger. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Great pictures !
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Absolutely stunning 
View Quote
And beautiful, too. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Since I'm likely moving out of AK this fall or upcoming spring, I spent today driving around the local area taking photos.  While these aren't midnight sun ones, I thought you guys might like them.  Just got in the door, so edits might take a bit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Insert generic criticism of OPs truck here
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Some day I want to visit and experience it for myself...............seeing the Northern Lights is on my bucket list
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Insert generic criticism of OPs truck here
View Quote
Criticise all you want, but you can't beat a free pickup that runs solidly.  Need to flush the clutch and brakes, but as a whole it's solid and fairly straight.  Alaskan windshield though, but since we put pea gravel on the roads in winter, cracks are normal. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Criticise all you want, but you can't beat a free pickup that runs solidly.  Need to flush the clutch and brakes, but as a whole it's solid and fairly straight.  Alaskan windshield though, but since we put pea gravel on the roads in winter, cracks are normal. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Really nice work NorthPolar.

Very inspiring.

Thank you for these Sir.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#48]
This makes me want to move to Alaska. dat weather tho
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good luck on your drive up, and there will still be plenty of light in August, but we're down to normal hours in September for the most part.  Still not a bad time to get here though, as you'll be catching the tip of aurora season.  Are you going to Eielson/Wainwright or JBER?

Barring a horrible fire season, there will be plenty of light to do a ton of stuff outside.  Fairbanks (where I'm at) gets a decent bit more than Anchorage, but it all comes down to where you are going.  Poke your head into the HTF and we'll try to send you the right way on stuff.

Not really a full reverse, but we do only get 4 hours of daylight on the winter solstice.  Upside is plenty of aurora viewing, but after 30 years up here I'm pretty used to the cold. 

http://pre15.deviantart.net/7218/th/pre/i/2017/109/4/d/aurora_over_north_pole__ak_04_19_2017_by_aknorthpolar-db6cwam.jpg
View Quote
Just for once before my time is up I would love to see a good auroral display. I've experienced their effects many times on my ham radio set, but never seen them.

Thanks for posting.

ETA: In fact, there's a pretty strong auroral ring going on right now, according to the propagation websites.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Alrighty, here's a few from my drive around town.  Mostly my memory is really shitty due to everything that is wrong with me, so I'm trying to take photos of everywhere local to remind me of home after I move south.

Really wishing I had a fishing pole with me in the 2nd photo though.  There were probably 10+ greyling in the water just feet below the entrance of the culvert where I was standing.  Catch and release only, but fun.   Also looks like I need to clean my camera to get those little dust dots off the sensor.    Minor but it annoys the crap out of me.

Amazing how my hometown hasn't changed in the last almost 14 years since I graduated.  Same crown vic patrol cars, the school is the same minus a new paint job, etc.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top