Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2001 4:04:53 PM EDT
 OFF TO  THE RANGE SHOOTING RELOADS OUT OF NEW COLT  H-BAR AND NOTICED A PUFF OF WARM GAS HITTING MY FACE WITH EVERY TRIGGER-PULL. I WAS USING RE-LOADS AND MOST OF THIS OCCURRED WITH MAX LOADED IMI 62 GRAIN BULLETS WHICH WERE CRIMPED A LITTLE HEAVIER THAN USUAL WITH A LEE FACTORY CRIMPER. iS THIS NORMAL OR DANGEROUS? wHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE? OAL WAS 2.260 INCHES AND I DIDN'T SEE ANY TELLTALE SIGNS OF TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE BRASS. I DID NOTICE THAT THE SAME LOAD I USED SEVERAL WEEKS AGO ONLY THREW MY BRASS OUT 4-6 FEET WHILE THESE WERE EJECTING OUT AS MUCH AS 20 FEET.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
if you're left handed and it's coming out of the gas vents in the dip of the bolt carrier I'd think its ok. Mine always throws brass 10 15 20 feet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
the ejection is due to the rifle not the loads, gas pressure has no play in the ejection. that would be the ejector spring being so new, and maby a little too long. with lots of use it should drop to ejection of maby 5 to 10 feet.

when in basic my m 16 allways sprayed a little gas like that, so i wouldnt think its anything important, try useing standard loads, if this fixes it i would think the laods were a little (but not too) hot. it could also be the specific powder you are useing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Unlike fixed-ejector designs, I wouldn't think hot loads would increase ejection distance much in an AR. The spring pressure is always the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top