Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2001 12:57:00 PM EDT
I just found out I've been doing a BAD thing by storing my beloved AR in a hardcase beneath my bed,since there is no airflow in the hardcase,rust could form.....I don't have cash for a safe.Should I just put it on my bookshelf?Buy a wall-mounted rack??? I don't want my baby to rust!!!!! what do you do?? what should I do??? FREAK OUT TIME!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have mine stored upright in my closet behind some clothes I have hung up.  Not alot of humidity, not exposed to the elements.  Works just fine!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
SIMMA DOWN NAH!
Don't worry about it, just buy a silicone cloth and rub it down once a week. It will be fine.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, this works because I don't have kids.  If I had kids, a gun safe is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheap Stack-on 8 gun safe for 70.00.  Even I can afford that.  It isn't fire proof, but niether is you hard case under your bed and this can be locked and bolted down.  Just my.02
guns762
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just found out I've been doing a BAD thing by storing my beloved AR in a hardcase beneath my bed,since there is no airflow in the hardcase,rust could form.....I don't have cash for a safe.Should I just put it on my bookshelf?Buy a wall-mounted rack??? I don't want my baby to rust!!!!! what do you do?? what should I do??? FREAK OUT TIME!!!!!
View Quote

No airflow is fine, as long as the air is dry. Go to the next gun show and pick up two or three of the white one pound cloth-like baggies of dessicant, and put them in the hardcase too.

Problem solved.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]
1:  don't put it away wet
2:  keep it lubed lightly on the steel parts
3:  buy a bag of kitty pearls cat litter and throw some of it into a paper bag along with your ar.  this should act as an effective descicant for sometime.
4:  look at your baby at least once a month to check for rust.

steve
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The air conditions are a problem.I live in Florida.Anyone who has been to florida,can tell you it's probably the most hot/humid place in North America,and even right now,with the AC on,I can feel it.I handle it quite a bit (running around the house with it,clearing rooms,you know, big manly stuff)
I am the only kid in the house,tee hee!
so I don't need to lock it down,except maybe if I went away or something.As for "putting it away wet" I have a problem...I tend to overlube it,and I just removed it from the case after a few days,and the outer surface was still wet looking.I was thinking of maybe buying a inexpensive wall-mounted rack....Or even more likely,putting it next to my bed standing upright.As far as I know,dust will not effect these ARs correctamundo?
My "freak out level" has dropped to a "safer" level thanks to your replies.Heh!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Turn it ocaisionally to keep the barrel from warping, and don't let the sheep step on it. The midget is ok if she has been trained in safe gun handling.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
OH YEAH,I use Hoppes #9 to clean the chamber,and BreakFree CLP on everything,a little extra on the contact rails.My RRA/DPMS M4gery has a stainless steel barrel/chamber,just telling ya the extra info,thanx my bruthaz
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The air conditions are a problem.I live in Florida.Anyone who has been to florida,can tell you it's probably the most hot/humid place in North America,and even right now,with the AC on,I can feel it.I handle it quite a bit (running around the house with it,clearing rooms,you know, big manly stuff)
so I don't need to lock it down,except maybe if I went away or something.As for "putting it away wet" I have a problem...I tend to overlube it,and I just removed it from the case after a few days,and the outer surface was still wet looking.I was thinking of maybe buying a inexpensive wall-mounted rack....Or even more likely,putting it next to my bed standing upright.As far as I know,dust will not effect these ARs correctamundo?
My "freak out level" has dropped to a "safer" level thanks to your replies.Heh!!!
View Quote

Ok, here's the deal. Florida is humid, and when your AR is left out in the air, the whole house is going to be full of humid air that will wash over it. However, put in the hardcase, with a couple pound bags of dessicant will snork the moisture out of the case in no time. Thus, it's not being stored in a humid place. You can still take it out, just be sure to have it always lubed lightly, and put it back in the case when done. But, f'goshsakes, don't leave it where the air cn get at it! Put it away with dessicant.

I wanna say something like "Don't be Sofa King stupid", but unfortunately, such a comment is not warranted.[:D]

J(ust Kidding)uggernaut
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheap Stack-on 8 gun safe for 70.00.  
View Quote

Best advice you can get and be sure to BOLT IT
DOWN!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

i too live in florida, get the cheap kmart safe but put a heating bar in it and keep a thin coat of breakfree on your rifle and you will have no problems. and you stole your handle from neil rodgers radio show. too bad he's a democrat, he's funny.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
well,my house is *new* as in 8 months old,and the AC makes it nice and dry in here.It's actually cool and dry in my house,sorry I dramatized it so much:)
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
"Don't be Sofa King stupid" LMAO
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Juggernaught is right.  The simplest fix is to get a bag of silica gel and keep it inside of the case with the rifle.  In Florida you'll probably have to recharge it every few months.  Or you could keep the rifle and silica gel inside of a trash bag inside of the hard case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top