Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2001 9:34:34 AM EDT
I'm curios as to how you guys feel about the draft.  This is not about voluntarily enlisting.  I'm all for anyone who joins the military of their own accord.

What I'm against is a draft, such as the one during Vietnam.  I will not fight for my country without a [b] declairation of war [/b].  If my country cannot aggree to back it's soldiers before legally requiring unwilling young men to die on the front line, I'm not going to fight.

I would, however, be glad to serve my country in a time of actual war.  I have been registered with selective service since my 18th birthday.

I mean no disrespect to any veterans of any American conflicts; we all owe you so much.  It's just that there hasn't been an official war since WWII.  How can America expect people to die for something it won't support[?]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Does Congress always do what the people want?   They are basically mini dictators until they get voted out.   Whats a majority?  50.1%?  

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Good question.

One more example of how the Constitution has/is being ignored.  Only congress can declare war.  I supose that it was easy to let the president have the power the first time to "resolve conflicts".  

When I was in the service the question I always had was why are we always getting involved with and protecting foreign countrys.

I don't see how sending US troops to Viet Namcould be even remotely construed as defending America.  Don't get me wrong, I have the highest respect for those that went and I would have gone myself if ordered, but I just fail to see the argument that we were defending democracy.  This was medeling in someone else's civil war.  Bosnia, Iraq, ect.

I guess it is better to keep the battle over there but to lose American Soldiers in order to invoke our presidents will on forien powers just doesn't sit well with me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
BTDT

Norm
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#4]
i am against the draft for any reason. but if push came to shove and our country was actually threatened i'd be right there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I am registered and willing to go any time called.  It may not be a "war" but there are still going to be US citizens there.  If I don't go someone else will go in my place.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Only when Lady Liberty calls me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm almost 50 and I'd go!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with Southern Rising, that our country should have the brains and balls to call it a war or not mess with it.  No disrespect to the Veterans, but Congress's a$$backwards politicians have gotten us into one clusterf@#k after another.  I will go if they say its a war, but this "police action" crap isn't right. These guys can't help America but they can sure send us over seas to die.  How "patriotic"!  I wonder how many politicians own granite quarries, cause they would make a killing in headstone sales [V]
Ice
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
As a veteran, I will say this.  I would rather fight them overseas than on our shores.  I don't know how else to put it, but if we become isolationist, then we will be fighting them on our shores.  There was an isolationist attitude in this country prior to WWII and it made the Japanese think that we would not fight back.  We wouldn't get involved in anything back then except to restrict sales of goods to certain countries, which is another reason the Japanese attacked.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]
[?]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like everyone is assuming a declared war - one declared by congress.

Said it before - will say it again here:

I will defend my self, my family, my home, my city, my state, my country against any foe - both foreign and domestic...

I've seen a war - I hate war.  There is one thing I hate more than war and that is slavery!

I will never become a slave to any foe - foreign or DOMESTIC!

Would I go to war (again) YES!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Now that I am 35, I am for the draft.
It just makes sense to have a broad spectrum of Americans in the military.
Also having the sons of the elite in the military I think would keep us out of more hell holes.
If Senator Kennedy's son had been in Somalia, would he have armor support? Or better yet, would our troops be there at all. It is not like Somalia was a strategic interest.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I would in order to defend the Republic

american lib
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
1st: Yes, I have and would go to war...

2nd: I think every american out of high school should do two years. Does not have to be Army Navy, Marines. Could be Peace Corps, Forest Service, or any one of a number of groups like that, but everyone should give back. Then they can have the first 2 years of school free. Would let everyone see what life is like in the real world and let em mature before they move on to the next level.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Aviator
View Quote

2nd:i think every american out of high school should do two years.
View Quote

yes, lets pay more taxes and place people who hate the military into the military so they can hurt military readiness. i'd prefer to serve with someone who wants to be there, not conscripts.

but everyone should give back
View Quote

give back what? dont they milk us enough in taxes?

would let everyone see what life is like in the real world
View Quote

how is military life the "real" world? if i had kids i would not want you to choose their path in life for them. you would not be their parent, i would be.

hopefully never a parent lib

p.s. not meant to be an angry flame, just food for thought
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
If you read my post FULLY you would see that I also said they could do time in the Peace Corps or Forest Service if they like..

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I would serve if called.  Declared war or not.

The only reason I don't get real angry about these police actions is because of WWII.  I think we learned that we can't hide our head in the sand anymore.  We try to confront any petty dictator on his turf before he gets too powerful.  I am 100% sure that if we turned inwards and ignored the world that the likelyhood of WWIII coming to us would increase 1000 fold.

Do I think that we use poor judgement in some of the areas that we get involved in?  Yes.

Do I think we should stop all these police actions? No.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree - I don't think that the government should be able to draft people without a declaration of war.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#21]
These days , WAR is fought over power and money for the most part. There was a day when Wars were fought over freedom and right and wrong. How could you lay down your life for a cause that you do not believe in? Back in the revolutionary war days, I would be the first one there. These days we are used as pawns for some millionare's political game. What if Clinton had declared war, would you be so fast to jump in the fight over some underlying scheme for his communistic power struggle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Congress declares war - Yes
Defending our own soil - Yes
Presidentially declared "police action" - No

If a conflict isn't important enough for Congress to declare war over, we have no business going in.

SOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Been to two wars and would volunteer for a third for this great nation!  Ordered home, after 22 years in the Corps, but can still be recalled up to 30 years from time of enlistment.  I stay physically prepared and ready to serve again if the call ever comes.  I miss the comradery and the adrenaline "rush" in trying situations.  For those here who don't know the feeling I'm talking about,........ enlist Semper Fi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top