Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2001 5:43:56 AM EDT
Remember that incident a few years ago in LA where the 2 bank robbers with the full autos went on the shoot-a-thon?  

I thought I heard that it was a civilian hunting rifle that finally took one or both of these guys out-does anybody remember the jist of this.  

Seems like a average cop with a AR and a little practice could have wasted thes guys in no time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly, the Cops went to a gun shop and borrowed some Bushmaster ARs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I thought I heard that it was a civilian hunting rifle that finally took one or both of these guys out-does anybody remember the jist of this.  

View Quote

Nope, shotguns, handguns and AR's.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Kinda ironic,  being finished off with a "assault rifle" that is banned in the state.

It goes to show how fucked up some of these people are trying to keep this rifle out of peoples hands.  If there had not been any ARs available, this might have gone on a lot longer.  The best part is that it was a CIVILIAN AR that did the job.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
How true.

If there is a next time...  Cops run into a gun shop.  Give me an AR.  Nope, not legal here.  Give me an AK.  Not legal.  Well, what the beep do you have.  Here is a nice muzzle loader in .557 cal.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Where can one get video of this shoot out?  I've seen it available for training tapes sold to "Law Enforcement only".
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If I remember correctly the guy took numerous
shots to the body but he was wearing armor.
It took a head shot to put him down. Also,
the video has been aired by "Wildest Police Videos" or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw a tv documentary a few years ago that said the cops"raided" a civilian gun shop to get the high-powered assualt rifles needed because civilians had more deadly weapons than the police had!

Stupid,I know,but I doubt anything pro-gun came from the shop owner lending the bushmasters to the officers after the mendia got ahold of the story
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#9]
It would be cool to see all of the live, unedited content of this incident-all the shows on TV cut out 3/4 of the stuff to make the liberal sisies happy.

I thought I had seen some messed up videos until I sav a DVD I rented called best of the best or something like that.  Lets put it this way, they do not cut ANYTHING out of suicides/executions/accidents caught on video.  It was actually a little disturbing [bd]  espically the dude that got the 12ga to the chest at point blank range.  It is 100 times more graphic that the lame "faces of death" videos
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#10]
B&B in North Hollywood gave the AR's to the cops.  They later auctioned them off and donated the proceeds to some cop fund.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes!  I talked to one of the salesman at B&B in North Hollywood when I was living in the PRK.  The cops came in and borrowed AR's and ammo from the shop.  Basically thanks to B&B those a-holes were finished off by the cops.  Now as thanks for that the LA City council has launched an all out assault on LA City gun dealers.  No more AR's at B&B, no more concealable handguns and a proposed waiting period on ammo purchases.  I went in their the other day and their shelves were empty.  I guess if this kind of shoot-out happens again and the cops show up for some AR's and some ammo, they will get bolt action 22's and wait 10 days for the ammo!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#12]
BG #1 was shot several times in areas he was not protected by bullet resistant material. I  think he had a gun shot out if his hand also. He shot himself in the head.

BG #2 tried to car-jack and old jeep pick up after his car was disabled. The owner feld with the key 'tho. BG #2 didn't know that. He started moving weapons from hsi car toward the truck. LAPD SWAT officers in a black and white without a lightbar drove practically up to him. He fire through his car at the officers. SWAT shot him with full auto MP-5's. He was out of the fight. There was a lawsuit not to long ago claiming that LAPD delayed medical care for him (45-60 minutes) and he bled to death.

Officers did borrow some AR's but they didn't get the AR's into the fight before it was over
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#13]
did the cops buy the ARs when they were finished? or return them? gunshop owner could probably charge twice as much for it if it was returned and had taken out a national-media-covered thug.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Basically thanks to B&B those a-holes were finished off by the cops.  Now as thanks for that the LA City council has launched an all out assault on LA City gun dealers.  I went in their the other day and their shelves were empty.  I guess if this kind of shoot-out happens again and the cops show up for some AR's and some ammo, they will get bolt action 22's and wait 10 days for the ammo!
View Quote

No, I doubt that.  The cops temporarily shut down B&B for a violation of some new gun ordinance a while ago.  That's a fine way to say "Thank You."

It is my opinion, for what it's worth, that the next time cops come running into B&B the response will be "Fuck You."
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#15]
mp'5s arnt much good against a vest-course you could get hte legs/side/head.  I saw the part where they drove right up to him-kinda makes you wonder why they did not just run him down-oh yeah-the liberal fag, pole smoking lawyers would call it excessive force.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought I heard that it was a civilian hunting rifle . . . .
View Quote

Why do you ask?  If it's because you heard that civilian hunting rifles have been used to stop more than one shooting rampage, I heard that too.  I heard it was a good ol' boy that took that asshole out of the clocktower in Texas, but then I saw on the History Channel that it wasn't true.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
The cops in LA bought surplus G.I. M16s after the incident to go in supervisor's vehicles. The whole incident also allowed LAPD officers to buy there own S&W 4506 if they think the 9mm is too weak. That's the upside to the whole thing. It wouldn't have changed the outcome aginst the body armor these guys were wearing, but now the cops who know better can move up to a real caliber handgun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually I believe BG#1 shot himself and was also shot in the head by police at the same time.BG#2 was shot in the legs by the MP5 and bled to death.They didn't bring in medical because they thought there might have been a third.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#19]
[b]Cleatus[/b]:

Wow!  Another user from Wisconsin!  Say, please let me know if you remember the name/info about that DVD.  I'd like to get a look at the LA Shootout part.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Actually that video did not show the LA incident (i was looking for the complet video of that) but rather a bunch of other deaths/gunshots/burnings.  it is kinda nasty and as graphic as it gets without being there.[puke]

I will try to find it-rented it from netflix.com
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I know very little about body armor and bullet-resistant vests, but if the LAPD had been using firearms with a little more 'oomph' than their 9mm pistols using FMJ bullets, say .45 ACP, wouldn't the shock of the round hitting the body armor at [u]least[/u] knock the perp to the ground?

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I think they hit the BGs with 12ga buckshot,too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Cible, if you mean the Charles Whitman incident, there was a civilian with the only rifle there accompanying the LEOs who went to get him but the man who took him down was Austin Patrolman Ramiro Martinez with 6 rounds from his .38

Edited cause i can´t spell!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Found that nasty video i was talking about

http://movies.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=23481617&trkid=73

Its called "best of banned from TV"
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Delta Press might have the video your looking for. Paladin Press also
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#26]
The bad guys were supposedly wrapped all over (including their arms and legs) with kevlar sheets that they fashioned to supplement their purchased body armor. BG#2 was taken out with an CAR-15 belonging to an off duty SWAT officer (one in the combat vest and shorts) after he shot under the vehicle that BG#2 was commandering. Shot him in the legs and feet. During the actual event (don't ever see it anymore from edited versions) BG#2 had a really nasty wound around his liver area, visible when his Body armor lifted up when his arms were above his head.

P.S. both of those guys were supposed to have been pretty serious crankheads IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Three comments...

1.  The video is available at almost any gun show.  I've debated buying it many times.  Usually I see it at the table for www.gunvideo.com, however I couldn't find it (no search feature) on their website just now.  I think I'll buy it next time I'm at the show...

2.  Yes, B&B came under some troubles for charging almost twice as much for the Cal DROS (NCIS background check equiv.), and also charging storage fees as well on anyone not buying a brand new gun from them.  They were cheating the public, and that's just not good.  

3.  Personally, I would have thought that they would have taken a 12 ga. slug to the bad guys in No. Hollywood.  They may have had armor, but a slug should have at least knocked them down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Remember that incident a few years ago in LA where the 2 bank robbers with the full autos went on the shoot-a-thon?  

Seems like a average cop with a AR and a little practice could have wasted thes guys in no time.
View Quote

Are you people stoned?? Have you given into the bullcrap biased rifle-discrimination the media has been feeding you the last 10 years? How could you folks BE so BLIND??

It WAS a CIVILAN HUNTING RIFLE. It's for varmints and deer. It's called an XM15A2. What assault rifle? I never saw an assault rifle. It came from a CIVILAN gun shop is all I know. People use it to hunt with. I do.

BTW, rent the movie Sniper with Kurt Russell. Pretty decent flick about the whole Chuck Whitman incident.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I got the video tape of it! my question is there
were police snipers with 308 rem modal 700 police siper rifle's i do believe they had robar
sr60 sniper rifle's. well they were on top of stores! my question is; why did the sniper's not take out the bad guy's? i do believe they had plenty of chance's, they went to B&B's gun
shop got a number of bushmaster's and shotguns
and handguns. its ironic that we supply the police with weapons and the polititans did not
like it one bit(they were embarased)so they bought surplus M16A1's and banned your Ar15's
so the LA would not be caught with there pants down.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]
One funny part to the story was that the Officers didn't have to wait the mandatory five day waiting period to get the rifles in question either. [:)]

I could be wrong here, but I believe the rifles [b]were[/b] used against the suspect that attempted to carjack the truck.  But, I don't have a copy of the video here to look.  

An interesting side note. A buddy of mine knows a couple of the SWAT guys that shot it out with the "Carjack" suspect.  They had been at the Gym and one of the officers had forgotten to put BDU pants in his trunk.  If you watch the video, he's in a Tac Vest and Gym shorts.

The best video on the subject is called "North Hollywood Shootout" and was available everywhere for a while, Hell even Walmart.  I did a search on Amazon.com and they list it.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006GA3/qid=988910060/sr=1-3/ref=sc_v_4/103-1379296-2329456[/url]

hth

John
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I believe Phillips was hit in the head with 168gr HPBT, or some other rifle round, at the same time he squeezed the trigger of his Beretta 92F at his own head(His HK91A3,illegally converted to FA, was disabled by a bullet which struck the receiver area)
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#32]
For the guys that think bullets will knock you over:

There's an individual named Richard Davis that makes "Second Chance" body armor.  He's a bit of a wacko and made a videotape of himself getting shot while wearing his body armor.  First he's shot with a .38 special.  No big deal, right?  Then he moves up to a .357, then a .44 mag.  He's still standing, not even a wiggle.  His grand finale is getting shot with a .308 rifle from 10 feet away while he's hopping on one foot.  Needless to say, he was wearing his top grade armor, but he made the tape to debunk the idea that a bullet has "knockdown" power.

He also shot tires, gas tanks and a bunch of other fun stuff on the video, all to show the difference between Hollywood and real life.

He also runs the Second Chance bowling pn shoot in Upper Michigan & re-creates famous shootings.

Enjoy,
Norm
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#33]
here are the real answers to the myths floating around regarding the incident.  my source is a good friend in lapd who was there as part of the search for the 'others' (another story!)

1: the ar's taken from b&b were not used against bg#2.  bg#2 was already 'down' by swat guys who were in physical training when the call went out.  ergo the shortpants and sneakers.  the b&b ar's might of been used in the subsequent 'sweep' but were never fired.

2: bg#1 was taken out by a police sniper with a rem700 with a shot to the base of the neck right as he shot himself in the head.  look carefully at the video - two blood sprays- one back, one up.

also the guys were very very very high at the time and not very coherent.

steve
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#34]
who were the 'others' ?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#35]
The real kicker in this whole story is that these two bad guys had been arrested about a year earlier and these very same illegally modified weapons were consficated.  Somehow they beat the rap and went to court and got their weapons back.  I couldn't believe that when I read it and it has also been stated on several documentaries about this incident.  Talk about lax enforcement of existing laws!  Also, as convicted felons (which both were), they were not supposed to have any weapons at all.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#36]
the 'others' were up to three additional suspects that lapd was looking for so diligently for almost 24 hours after the incident.  scuttlebutt was that the search was dropped as not to alarm the populace.

if you look at the behavior of the guys, they are just standing outside the bank as if they are waiting for something OR someone.  my personal guess is a fast extraction by ????

steve
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#37]
[url]http://www.student.oulu.fi/~hmikkola/shootout.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know very little about body armor and bullet-resistant vests, but if the LAPD had been using firearms with a little more 'oomph' than their 9mm pistols using FMJ bullets, say .45 ACP, wouldn't the shock of the round hitting the body armor at [u]least[/u] knock the perp to the ground?

Eric The Hun
View Quote

Uh, no.  They were taking buckshot hits from shotguns and it wasn't effecting them.  A bullet cannot "knock" you down.  They had heavy armor.  Any cop with a decent amount of marksmanship could have put a head shot into those guys and ended it.  Cops were drastically undertrained.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Where can one get video of this shoot out?  I've seen it available for training tapes sold to "Law Enforcement only".
View Quote

Its not L/E only I saw them for sale in the actual gunshop they borrow the Bushy from. B&B gunshop?  The old Ar15.com had the link to the store. but I cannot find it now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I thought I had seen some messed up videos until I sav a DVD I rented called best of the best or something like that.  Lets put it this way, they do not cut ANYTHING out of suicides/executions/accidents caught on video.  It was actually a little disturbing [bd]  espically the dude that got the 12ga to the chest at point blank range.  It is 100 times more graphic that the lame "faces of death" videos
View Quote

That's gotta be the one with the choo choo train.  I could only watch that scene in real time one time only.  Although I did do a frame by frame to see if it was real or not.

It definitely appears real.

Friend made me watch that sh*t.

Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top