Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 10:02:05 PM EDT
http://www.oceanacountypress.com/2017/04/19/firefighters-to-quit-if-budget-doesnt-pass/

WALKERVILLE — After months of controversy surrounding the fire department’s budget, Walkerville firefighters and medical responders
have announced that they will “walk off the job” next week if officials
do not adopt a budget so the department can continue operations.

“The firefighters and medical responders met tonight (Monday, April 17) and have notified us that they are all walking off the job on the
27th if we have no money to operate on,” states a post on the
Walkerville Area Fire and Rescue Facebook page.
The fire department is operated by the fire authority, which includes four
different municipalities — Leavitt, Colfax and Elbridge townships and
the Village of Walkerville. Members of the fire authority board include
two members of each incorporating unit.

Fire department Administrator Jerry Frick, who had been the fire chief for 35 years and has been on the department for over 50 years, has been
the target of accusations by officials regarding the budget. However,
the firefighters stand behind Frick and believe he is being unfairly
targeted.

In the meantime, as the fire department has no funds, Frick has paid some of the department’s bills out of his own pocket in order to keep it
in operation, Amador and Assistant Fire Chief Al Purdy told OCP last
week. Jerry and his wife Verla paid the $400 electric bill, which was
past due, they said. The electricity was within days of being shut off,
they said. The couple also paid the department’s minimum payment on its
credit card, they said.

The department’s fuel tank is empty, Amador said, so the fire trucks cannot be refueled until funds are
available. Also, the volunteer firefighters, who get paid per run as a
form of reimbursement for their time and expenses, were supposed to be
paid April 15, and thus far no one has received a check.

A fire board meeting is set for Saturday, April 22, at 9 a.m. at the
Elbridge Township Hall. It is one of several meetings that have taken
place over the last few months regarding the fire department’s budget. A
few of the meetings were attended by uniformed officers of the Oceana
County Sheriff’s Office due to the potential of violence erupting
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Eta: I'm a fucking dick, they are volunteers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Turn it into a subscription-based service.

Yeah yeah, I know.  "Muh roads."
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let them go. I wouldn't want any of the pictured fat fucks having my back in a fire or tasked with saving a family member.
View Quote
First thing onsite the victim will have to be giving the FD CPR when they have heart attacks.  Guess they don't have physical fitness requirements...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Edit: I'm illiterate.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Our local fire department is the biggest waste of fucking money.  

Keep the EMTs and just make the fire department private.  

They make more than the police for sitting on their ass, cooking out, sleeping or washing a truck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a local EMT volunteer station that does not answer any 911 calls but still does fund raising which goes into their personal pockets.

The Orange County Board of Supervisors unanimously adopted an emergency ordinance dissolving the Orange County (volunteer) Rescue Squad as an independent emergency medical services agency.
View Quote
District 4 Supervisor Jim Crozier said one of his chief concerns was that while the volunteers were no longer answering emergency service calls, they continued to fundraise for that purpose. He said he has been approached by numerous former members and life members of the OCRS expressing the same concerns.
View Quote
The OCRS has become exceedingly dysfunctional over the past five years, Johnson said, noting more than $100,000 has gone missing from the agency and it’s an issue the board can’t ignore.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Let them go. I wouldn't want any of the pictured fat fucks having my back in a fire or tasked with saving a family member.
View Quote
The great thing about fire departments is they don't generally show up unless called and you can almost always decline their services.  If you ever find yourself needing emergency services just hold out until the responders are sexy enough for to your tastes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The great thing about fire departments is they don't generally show up unless called and you can almost always decline their services.  If you ever find yourself needing emergency services just hold out until the responders are sexy enough for to your tastes.
View Quote
Meh I've been in fire 8 years. I've Already seen 1 firefighter have a massive MI during a fire, doing a primary search. His crew had to pull his 300lb ass out while RIC went in to help.

It's not about sexy, it's about being prepared to do your job. But you know that, so why the pithy response?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I do not have an opinion on the specific fire department listed in the news clipping, more so on the comments I am reading here.

Locally, our fire department is volunteer. This means that there are no fulltime staff, but the firefighters are paid per responding call and they also have a retirement with 20+ years of service. They do some fundraising here. Nobody personally pockets funds unless they want to go to jail. These funds are yearly audited to make sure that does not happen.

The local FD has a physical test that they require prior to getting "hired." I do not think they have to continue testing after that.

I have no problem whatsoever with any of the above. Firefighters deserve to get "something" if they are waking up to a pager and responding on personal time. They also deserve some sort of retirement for the time in service. I can also understand how it might be difficult to keep people in shape on a volunteer department since they have a life outside of it. On a fulltime paid department, staying up on PT is acceptable.

Again, my opinion is based on my local area, not specifically this hit piece. I support my local FD.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Our local fire department is the biggest waste of fucking money.  

Keep the EMTs and just make the fire department private.  

They make more than the police for sitting on their ass, cooking out, sleeping or washing a truck.
View Quote
I assume that means these are fulltime paid firefighters. I will ask this then, what are they supposed to do when they are not fighting an actual fire, aside from maintaining the equipment? Should they be out starting fires to put out instead of washing trucks until the next actual call?

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meh I've been in fire 8 years. I've Already seen 1 firefighter have a massive MI during a fire, doing a primary search. His crew had to pull his 300lb ass out while RIC went in to help.

It's not about sexy, it's about being prepared to do your job. But you know that, so why the pithy response?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy to look down your nose when you are paid to do the job. When you pay volunteer work volunteer wages you get volunteer quality help.

In these cases, they get what they don't pay for.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Walkerville, Michigan has a population of 247.
Why do they need anything other than a volunteer fire department?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm betting the administrative side of city hall has swollen massively while they "struggle" to fund the fire department (really re-direct funds away from).
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nowhere in the article does it say that this is a fulltime department. My guess is this is a volly department and they also respond to multiple townships (farms) outside of the population 247 city.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's easy to look down your nose when you are paid to do the job. When you pay volunteer work volunteer wages you get volunteer quality help.

In these cases, they get what they don't pay for.
View Quote
Fair enough on that point. I just re-read the entire thing and see I missed where it said they were a volunteer dept. I feel like a complete fucking ass now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nowhere in the article does it say that this is a fulltime department. My guess is this is a volly department and they also respond to multiple townships (farms) outside of the population 247 city.
View Quote
It says they have coverage for 4 different townships and Walkerville itself.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think they want money for equipment and stuff like that. I used to work out there, the place is desolate. I dont think any of the departments in the area are not volunteer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think they want money for equipment and stuff like that. I used to work out there, the place is desolate. I dont think any of the departments in the area are not volunteer.
View Quote
It sounds like they need things like fuel, electric bill, pay for those responded to calls, ect. I would imagine the citizens are going to put the council persons to the pike if they don't fix this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top