Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2017 8:07:16 PM EDT
I very, very rarely see military aircraft flying over my location in western NC, but lately that has changed.  A couple of times last week A few chinooks flew over, and yesterday while cutting my grass, an F-22 f-35 flew over causing me to nearly abandon my lawnmower and run.  I had earbuds in listening to music, and I started hearing an increasing roar and the first thing to pop in my head was "oh shit my mowers about to explode!" but I yanked my buds out and realized it was a jet, and looked and saw it. It was flying west to east and it had the dual rear fins like the pics of the f-35s I've seen.  I had never seen one in person, and know nothing about jets.

Then today around 6:00 which was almost the same time the jet flew over, An Apache and another type of helicopter flew over going east to west.  

I'm not far from Charlotte, could they be heading to and from the air national guard there, or to and from Seymour Johnson in the Goldsboro?

I hope I'm under some new flight path since it would be cool to see things like that more often.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You weren't supposed to see those.  there will be a knock at your door in a few minutes.  Don't be there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I noticed the army service center I guess that's what's it's called around the corner from me a few weeks ago was full of humves and trucks nows its empty
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
no just no

F22s at low level?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Russians ????
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no just no

F22s at low level?  
View Quote
It wasn't super low, but a lot lower than the commercial aircraft and even the little planes that take off from the airport a mile away.  1000ft maybe?

Whatever has the dual rear fin.  But looking at f-22 rear ends, they have 2 engines and this thing had one in the middle I think.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
They all fly low over my house or else they would miss the runway
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Friday is a big cross country day as guys go places on the weekends.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It wasn't super low, but a lot lower than the commercial aircraft and even the little planes that take off from the airport a mile away.  1000ft maybe?

Whatever has the dual rear fin.  But looking at f-22 rear ends, they have 2 engines and this thing had one in the middle I think.
View Quote
F-35. They are loud as fuck and single engine.

Marine pilot was prolly lost and looking for landmarks or highway signs
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
An hour ago there was one of those big transport helicopters (chinook?) that flew over my location.

Middle of nowhere Nebraska/South Dakota
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
They had to fire them up to charge the batteries & stuff, since FBHO probably told them not to waste fuel and pollute the environment doing that.

MAGA!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm almost directly west of Havelock NC which online says they are making f-35's or have them stationed there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no just no

F22s at low level?  
View Quote
Happens all the time here. They fly a couple hundred feet over my work. Those and the T-38 trainers. Helps when you work right by the base.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Marine pilot was prolly lost and looking for landmarks or highway signs
View Quote
IFR flight rules (I follow roads)
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#15]
wilmington n.c. here. awacs spotted at around 430 flying fairly low.spooky
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw the following flying today:

EA-18G
P-3C
P-8A
UC-12B
C-130T
CH-47F
C-17
MH-60S
C-40A
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
You guys got a point system for scaring the shit out of people and making them run? Cause whoever flew over me yesterday got some points for sure. 2nd time in my life a jet scared the shit out of me and made me bail.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes. Blackhawks and c130's very low
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
wilmington n.c. here. awacs spotted at around 430 flying fairly low.spooky
View Quote
I sees those every once in a while, never more than one at a time though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Qui the " It's happening" meme...

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Hell, a PBJ landed in Amarillo yesterday! You don't see those often, your fears are real!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm southeast of Charlotte, and yes I have seen more military aircraft lately, fighters and helicopters.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Considering that MCAS cherry point is like 300 yards from my house I don't notice anything except the sound of freedom.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Honestly no.
It's been more quiet than usual here. Normally I have a flight of c130s skim the mountain here every day. Nothing for the past few days.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Tons of Ospray here in Albuquerque.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm a few miles away from the WF regional training center.

Aircraft noise has picked up
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
The nice part of the VSTOL AV8 and the F35 B is that you can get your maps at local gas stations.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Interestingly enough, I saw a B-29 fly over my workplace several days ago, then a couple of days ago, a B-25 flew overhead.  Awesome sights!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#29]
A Chinook was flying over my house this morning. That was kinda unusual. Is it FO time?

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#30]
There is a large exercise in southeast Colorado in the next week or so. The largest movement of assets since WWII.
Maybe related?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Near Dobbins AFB...........I see C-5 and C-130 aircraft constantly
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tons of Ospray here in Albuquerque.
View Quote
OsprEy. CV22.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
no just no

F22s at low level?  
View Quote
USAF F22 Raptors in the Mach Loop, Wales.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I live between Eglin and Tyndall so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I very, very rarely see military aircraft flying over my location in western NC, but lately that has changed.  A couple of times last week A few chinooks flew over, and yesterday while cutting my grass, an F-22 flew over causing me to nearly abandon my lawnmower and run.  I had earbuds in listening to music, and I started hearing an increasing roar and the first thing to pop in my head was "oh shit my mowers about to explode!" but I yanked my buds out and realized it was a jet, and looked and saw it. It was flying west to east and it had the dual rear fins like the pics of the f-22's I've seen.  I had never seen one in person, and know nothing about jets.

Then today around 6:00 which was almost the same time the jet flew over, An Apache and another type of helicopter flew over going east to west.  

I'm not far from Charlotte, could they be heading to and from the air national guard there, or to and from Seymour Johnson in the Goldsboro?

I hope I'm under some new flight path since it would be cool to see things like that more often.
View Quote

Sky was full of ospreys, c130's and a handful of apache at KAVL today. Was in a golf course here in Hendersonville under the southbound departure path and they were everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Near Fort Bragg increase in Aircraft could be training though it is Sweet seeing 20 or so C-17's come over your house
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#37]
lately out of Buckley and Centennial I have seen:

AV8b's, Fa-18's, F15's, Chinooks, apaches and last weekend a set of Ospreys
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Does FIFI count?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Chinooks and blackhawks are a weekly thing here in Western NY. But recently, earlier this week and like 5 minutes ago Apaches have been flying over. Very low and circling the area.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm almost directly west of Havelock NC which online says they are making f-35's or have them stationed there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Havenot" NC

Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point.

Home of the 2nd Marine Air Wing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Colorado Springs, there's usually all sorts of weird shit in the air at any given time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Chinooks and blackhawks are a weekly thing here in Western NY. But recently, earlier this week and like 5 minutes ago Apaches have been flying over. Very low and circling the area.
View Quote
And another pass..........
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Wife has been carrying on lately about how many more military aircraft she has been seeing flying past our house (near Bliss).  I just look at her like she's crazy.  Of course, a plane would have to land on me before I'd notice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Considering that MCAS cherry point is like 300 yards from my house I don't notice anything except the sound of freedom.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I very, very rarely see military aircraft flying over my location in western NC, but lately that has changed.  A couple of times last week A few chinooks flew over, and yesterday while cutting my grass, an F-22 flew over causing me to nearly abandon my lawnmower and run.  I had earbuds in listening to music, and I started hearing an increasing roar and the first thing to pop in my head was "oh shit my mowers about to explode!" but I yanked my buds out and realized it was a jet, and looked and saw it. It was flying west to east and it had the dual rear fins like the pics of the f-22's I've seen.  I had never seen one in person, and know nothing about jets.

View Quote

Been in Mooresville area all week. Noticed nothing in military aircraft over the plant. Outside all day all week too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm southeast of Charlotte, and yes I have seen more military aircraft lately, fighters and helicopters.
View Quote
Yep.  

I'm not too far from Bragg, and pretty close to Mackall, and have seen quite an assortment of aircraft in the past two weeks.  C-130s and Blackhawks are as common as mosquitos, but in the past 14 days I've seen F-15s, F-16s, Ospreys, Apaches, and a single Huey.

I don't think twice about seeing the Hercs and Blackhawks (and the Apaches, to a certain extent) but the fighters and Ospreys are out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Without joking yes I have noticed it around here. A lot more flying than usual.

Took this pic above my house a few days ago wiff my fone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Without joking yes I have noticed it around here. A lot more flying than usual.

Took this pic above my house a few days ago wiff my fone.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155062/IMG-5777-192463.JPG
View Quote
I tried to video the the helicopters today since I heard them long before I saw them.  Forgot to hit the record button so when I thought I was stopping it I was actually starting the recording so all I got was the sound of them, my grass and feet, and me realizing what I did and saying "shit!"
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Naval Air Station/Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth...  much pre-dawn and into the early afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
C-130's are flying over more often now.  They used to fly over a couple times a week back in the 90's.  They died off late Bush W, and rarely during Os.  They're flying at night now where they used to fly during daylight.  They are running under 1,000 ft AGL.  Saw to big jets flying side by side earlier this week, not sure they were .mil though.
View Quote
Been noticing the same. I assume we are seeing the same aircraft from the 910th out of Vienna. Also saw possibly a C-17 or other large military transport a few weeks back. It was flying low level and was larger than a C-130.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top