Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 2:07:50 PM EDT
For example:

If Bob Smith has a son and names him Bob Smith. His is becomes Bob Smith Jr. and dad becomes Bob Smith Sr., right? If Jr. eventually has a kid then he becomes Bob Smith III, right?

Is there such a thing for girls?

I'm guessing not since if/when they marry the last name changes.

Yes, it's a slow day at work.

TGIF
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Outside of royalty, I haven't ever seen it used.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I've never seen something like that, though I wouldn't be surprised if some liberal nutjob decided to make it a thing
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Not that I know of, but Iceland uses a weird naming system that comes close: if Fred has a son, his "last" name is 'Fredson' and a daughter her last name is 'Fredsdottir'.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually used to know a girl in the mid 80s who was a "junior", same name as her mother with a "junior" behind her last name. She got soooo much shit for that in high school.

From that I always assumed the whole junior / senior thing was technically genderless, but since it was used almost entirely by males it is assumed to be a masculine term. I imagine it dates back to ye olden days when eldest males of households were not only the inheritor of titles and lands, but the inheritors of family surnames. Take my own last name for example, it literally means "Son of Andrew"... so I suppose the whole junior / senior thing came into play when you had a son of Andrew named Andrew.

Edit: And if you want to really talk fucked up names, my paternal grandfather's actual legal on-his-ID first name was "Junior"... so he went by his middle name, which sadly was "Ralph".
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Juniorette
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually used to know a girl in the mid 80s who was a "junior", same name as her mother with a "junior" behind her last name. She got soooo much shit for that in high school.

From that I always assumed the whole junior / senior thing was technically genderless, but since it was used almost entirely by males it is assumed to be a masculine term. I imagine it dates back to ye olden days when eldest males of households were not only the inheritor of titles and lands, but the inheritors of family surnames. Take my own last name for example, it literally means "Son of Andrew"... so I suppose the whole junior / senior thing came into play when you had a son of Andrew named Andrew.

Edit: And if you want to really talk fucked up names, my paternal grandfather's actual legal on-his-ID first name was "Junior"... so he went by his middle name, which sadly was "Ralph".
View Quote
Yes, it's genderless, though very rarely used by women. IIRC FDR's daughter was sometimes called Anna Eleanor Roosevelt Jr. or Anna Eleanor Roosevelt II.

Honestly, I'm a Junior myself and I rarely use it. Unless it's an official government form or something, I'll leave it off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My wife and first born daughter have the same first and last name.  We named her after my wife, with my wife's original middle name.  When we got married, my wife's maiden name became her middle name, and she took my last name.  That's the way it usually works for women getting named after their mothers.

Example:

Husband's name: John Doe
Wife's maiden name: Jane Sally Smith
Wife's married name: Jane Smith Doe
First named daughter: Jane Sally Doe
View Quote
Could you just say Cousin??/
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
It just dawned on me that yes, there is, thanks to the juniorette comment.
Ette is a diminutive used to indicate 'little' so that Jeanette is 'little Jen's and 'suzette' is 'little susan'.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For example:

If Bob Smith has a son and names him Bob Smith. His is becomes Bob Smith Jr. and dad becomes Bob Smith Sr., right? If Jr. eventually has a kid then he becomes Bob Smith III, right?

TGIF
View Quote

And to make things more confusing, when Bob Smith Sr dies, technically Jr becomes Senior and III becomes Junior. Not many folks do that in the modern era, though
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#11]
jr is used for women named after their mothers same as men named after their fathers. not quiet as common but i have seen 10 or so in my life. strangely enough they were all hispanic (brown skinned women not sure if mexican, puerto rican, or what).
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
MILF and GILF
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And to make things more confusing, when Bob Smith Sr dies, technically Jr becomes Senior and III becomes Junior. Not many folks do that in the modern era, though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For example:

TGIF

technically speaking why is their a sr? he should just be bob smith his son would be jr and his grand son the 3rd.

i am a jr, when my father had to go into a nursing home they kept trying to put his legal name as xx xxx sr, no mam his legal name is not xx xxx sr, his legal name is xx xxx. my legal name however is xx xxx jr.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
And once again arfcom GD proves that it is, in fact, the de facto source for information on every possible topic in the universe.

Edit: grammerz
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Junior is only less common for women, because women tend to take their husband's surnames upon marriage, while men usually have retained their family name.

If Jane Alice Smith married a Mr. Smith (no relation) and named her daughter Jane Alice, then her daughter would quite naturally be Jane Alice Smith, Jr. Or if she didn't marry, or didn't take her husband's family name to replace her own, same thing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For example:

TGIF
View Quote

Sure....if you name your daughter Bob Smith.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]
No, because women take the husband's name.
Familial generations are tracked along the male lines.

If a man doesn't have a son, his bloodline dies with him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#18]
What we need is a word like nee for previous married names.

Jennifer nee Smith Jones

Jennifer nee Smith pmn Jones, Doe, Roe, Johnson
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My wife and first born daughter have the same first and last name.  We named her after my wife, with my wife's original middle name.  When we got married, my wife's maiden name became her middle name, and she took my last name.  That's the way it usually works for women getting named after their mothers.

Example:

Husband's name: John Doe
Wife's maiden name: Jane Sally Smith
Wife's married name: Jane Smith Doe
First named daughter: Jane Sally Doe
View Quote
So if you yelled out Jane both your sister wives and daughter would turn around looking for who called out their name?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#20]
"II", aka "The second", as in "Queen Elizabeth II"

But I've never heard such a thing outside of royalty. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never known anyone to name a daughter after the mother.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#22]
FWIW, there is no male counterpart to the female college student "coed" designation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#23]
APROPOS OF NOTHING!

We called my dad Albert the first. I had a different middle name so no junior, and my son even different middle name, and grand son anotherdifferent middle name. So yell Albert an 3 will say, WHAT?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#24]
 One pretty common  Southern tradition is naming a daughter, or even a son, using the wife's maiden name. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not that I know of, but Iceland uses a weird naming system that comes close: if Fred has a son, his "last" name is 'Fredson' and a daughter her last name is 'Fredsdottir'.
View Quote
Dont they have a big problem with (unintentional) inbreeding there?

Is that why? 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Girl that worked at an eye doc I went to years ago was a Janice Jr. , first and last female jr. I ever met.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Just add a "-lynn"

John guessing Ted's girlfriend's name - TED - CLIP
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
 One pretty common  Southern tradition is naming a daughter, or even a son, using the wife's maiden name. 
View Quote
I am an example of that, my middle name is my mother's maiden name, although I hail from California.

I'm the only member of my family that is like that though. Both my mother and father (and their brothers and sisters) had unique middle names, as do my cousins, nephews and nieces... and I'm an only child. A big bonus is that I never got the "first and middle" yelled at me when I was in trouble like everyone else got.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I've known a couple women who had Jr after their name, but none that were a III.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
MILF and GILF
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Nah, they all get your last name and you have to pay for them no matter who the real father is. That's the going thing nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#33]
For clarification purposes - Sr. and Jr. differentiate same male first and last name but, different middle name. Second, third, etc., suffixes (II, III) is the same first, middle and last name. I'm speaking as a "II"

Example:
John Adam Smith, Sr. (father)
John William Smith, Jr. (son)

John Adam Smith (father)
John Adam Smith II (son)
John Adam Smith III (grandson)
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#34]
My cousin's wife had the same first middle and last names as her mother, with Jr. at the end of it.

Her brother had the same first middle and last names as their dad, with Jr. at the end of it.

yup, they are both juniors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Just be glad your Grandmother isn't from England and sent letters to you in Basic Training addressed to

Master James D. ****
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top