Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 11:34:04 AM EDT
I'm just going to come right out and ask the question:

Why is there an over representation of black people in them?

At the same time in the Aircraft Maintenance community its predominantly white and Hispanic males with a few black dudes and a few females typically white or Hispanic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
In my company, the stereotype that our supply guy backs up, is black guys don't want to do infantry shit and die for our country. So they pick the most behind the wire job 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#2]
S6 shop.. Or an infantry bn's Fox Co.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Im just waiting for someone to call you racist and that the question is racist,

and not  know anything about you
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
it'll happen too

if only they knew who I was married to lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have noticed that as well. Perhaps they haven't been around mechanical things as much, and do poorly on the technical parts of the ASVAB.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
S6 shop.. Or an infantry bn's Fox Co.
View Quote
Not over-represented in my S6 shops.  Four guys over the years.  One who is 1SG at the SIGCO now, one who made E5 a few drills back, one who got out in January and I will miss his influence terribly as he was hard-driven and knowledgeable, and the last one who was a POS who decided he didn't want to be there and ended up failing a whiz quiz and getting the boot.

Overall benefit to the section, but not different from everybody else, either.  Good, bad, indifferent are all the kinds of people.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a support MOS. Look at any of them, just not supply.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

it'll happen too

if only they knew who I was married to lol
View Quote
then we can point and laugh at them
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Beamy is racist, the question is racist, and he only married a black chick so the world wouldn't know he's racist

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Jobs are assigned according to the needs of the service and the career fields your test scores allow you to enter.

Jobs are chosen according to personal motivation, long term goals and what career fields your test scores allow you to enter.

Recruiters tend to steer people into the hardest to fill job that they qualify for.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's a support MOS. Look at any of them, just not supply.
View Quote
that is true, with us its the Cops, Medical, and Services as well

especially Medical which has a lot of black females......if only I wasn't married
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, my view is the same as yours.  I spent a few years Army then Coast Guard and saw the same.  Minorities seem to flock to supply, cooks and pencil pushing desk jobs.
In the Army I was a 63T, heavy track vehicle mechanic and we were 90% white, 8%percent Hispanic and 2% black.  IMO experience the black guys didn't like getting dirty.

Edit:  Sorry Op, forgot to call you a racist dirtbag
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not just supply, it's support roles overall.

During Desert Storm the media was trying to push the old lie they pushed about Vietnam - that the Army was only sending blacks to fight the war. A CNN reporter was in Saudi Arabia with bleachers full of black soldiers trying to push the issue...then across the bottom of the screen it listed the unit he was interviewing as some sort of support battalion.

This prompted another network to examine the issue (it was either ABC, NBC, or CBS) and they concluded support units are full of minorities because they're all poor city folk with no futures or education so join the military looking for job skills, and white soldiers are the majority in combat arms because they're all rich entitled kids with nothing to do so join looking for adventure.

I served in Cavalry and Infantry battalions. HHT/HHC was majority black (support) and the line Troops/Companies were majority white. Hispanics were the 2nd largest group and in my opinion blacks were underrepresented in line units, so the above paragraph seems to have some truth to it. Either way, if true, good for them. Serving 4 years and getting out with no usable job skills sucked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top