Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 8:13:36 AM EDT
Nobody Works in One in Five U.S. Families

According to Alfredo Ortiz, president and CEO of the nonpartisan Job Creators Network, said policymakers should help families find good careers by promoting training and protecting entry-level jobs.

"The fact that 20 percent of families don’t have anyone working demonstrates that the labor market still has weaknesses," Ortiz said. "But the problem isn’t the number of available jobs."

"There are currently 5.7 million job openings, millions of which pay roughly $50,000 or more per year," he said. "Policymakers need to address the skills gap that is preventing these unemployed families from seizing these available good jobs."

"That means expanding vocational training and protecting entry-level jobs that provide the skills necessary to get good jobs," Ortiz said. "It means a fight for $50,000 careers, not $15 jobs."
View Quote
No the fact that 20 Percent of families do not have anyone working is government welfare programs have made to easy to not have to.

Policymakers do not need to address the skills gap that is preventing these unemployed families from seizing these available good jobs, they need to  drastically cut welfare programs to force them to seek training and enter the workforce.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Work is for suckas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Everyone in my family has a bad back.  Where's our checks?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Your probably the wrong demographic
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wheelbarrow of pain pills and a check please.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like 20% of families serve zero function in this country and can be kicked out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
We have three now which is good. My 17 yr old will have two jobs this summer. One sitting behind the computer, one manual labor. My other kid is 14 and will be looking next year. MAGA
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Yet......Everyone of them has a big screen TV and a smartphone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Sad to see people who cant even provide for their own basic needs.

These people think they are winning because they get free money from the government, yet they are completely dependent on the government for their survival, its basically modern day slavery.

If you want to win you have to work, at least one job, preferably two.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys are missing out suckling the government teat is the best.  They pay me housing allowance every month AND send me money for books.  If only it lasted more than 36 months
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry but that's funny.  

In reality, it's a disgusting situation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#12]
My next door neighbor must be that 1 family then. 4 adults, not a single one works. Freeloading pieces of shit. I can smell their white trash filth every time the breeze picks up. How the fuck they have money for beer, weed, and satellite tv tho?!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My next door neighbor must be that 1 family then. 4 adults, not a single one works. Freeloading pieces of shit. I can smell their white trash filth every time the breeze picks up. How the fuck they have money for beer, weed, and satellite tv tho?!
View Quote
I think we know the answer to that question.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your probably the wrong demographic
View Quote

If you think leeching is limited to a specific demographic, you would be sorely mistaken.  Uncle Sam is happy to extend the public teat to anyone willing to depend on it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#15]
It can't be that bad.  I bet at least half are employed as unlicensed pharmacists, or in the un-taxed services trades.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
And shopping carts full of steaks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#17]
OPNI.  They won't get to work until we make them by cutting off the money.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#18]
"policymakers" need to cut off the money and food stamps and the skills gap will close very fast on jobs.   Lazy people will get off their ass to learn new skills before they starve to death.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I deserve my disability........ I'm allergic to work 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Bread and circus.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
And shopping carts full of steaks.
View Quote
Don't forget the Escalade.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Who's the lamebutt arfcommer who aspires to the FSA so as to cloward-piven the system?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#24]
They've never been to this town. Where I live now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like my future in laws.  Won't work, out of unemployment, have times when they literally don't have food to put on the table, their pet chickens are well fed though 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Who's the lamebutt arfcommer who aspires to the FSA so as to cloward-piven the system?
View Quote
You talking some of the public servants in California?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#27]
That is a scary statistic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#28]
It's not the governments job to instill a work ethic into you. Start in the mailroom and do the crappy job, get improved skillsets to work your way up the ladder.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
... And driving an Escalade. :)
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That is a scary statistic.
View Quote
From the article's description, it sounds like they're also counting retirees, which makes it less meaningful.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#31]
IIRC, that number is doubled in England.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
A single mother of 3 makes like $60,000 off the government.

Would you work minimum wage $20,000 a year? Or stay home with the kids and bring in triple that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jerry Pournelle was a prophet

The United States of the CoDominium Era is a welfare state divided into two classes: Citizens and Taxpayers. "Citizens" are welfare dependents who are required to live in walled sections of cities called "Welfare Islands." People are given whatever they need, including the drugs like Borloi to keep them pacified. There are no limits to how long they can stay on welfare, except that they must live in a Welfare Island. Although people are free to gain an education and work or become a colonist, many citizens did not, preferring to live their whole lives supported by the government. Generally citizens are uneducated and illiterate. Some BuReLoc involuntary colonists are Citizens. By the late CD era, the Welfare Islands were three generations old. "Taxpayers" are the working, educated, and privileged upper class. They carry identification cards to separate them from Citizens.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Figured it would be higher than that.  Wonder how they account for the welfare FSA'ers who work a menial job like a paper route to satisfy a minimum welfare requirement.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shots fired!

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No the fact that 20 Percent of families do not have anyone working is government welfare programs have made to easy to not have to.

Policymakers do not need to address the skills gap that is preventing these unemployed families from seizing these available good jobs, they need to  drastically cut welfare programs to force them to seek training and enter the workforce.
View Quote

if you want less of something, you tax it.
if you want more of something, you subsidize it.

what has the government been taxing and what has it been subsidizing?  <- answer this and you will know why things are the way they are.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#37]
We have FSA members here also, a few have openly outed themselves in the past.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#38]
There was a safety net designed to keep people from starving to death.  The Democrats made it so comfortable, it turned into a fucking hammock! 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#39]
For the purpose of the study, the bureau counts a family as households headed by a married couple or by unmarried women or men.
View Quote

My MIL, and my father and his second wife both fall into this category - but they are all happily retired, living off of savings/investments, and not FSA.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#40]
If you ask my wife, I don't work. I still get paid and pay taxes though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

These people think they are winning because they get free money from the government, yet they are completely dependent on the government for their survival, its basically modern day slavery.

View Quote
They are winning

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Jesus Christ that's a terrifying statistic!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ones I have met are Proud of it too.  I can understand if someone is truly disabled or has major issues, a lot of them are not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#45]
There's entire villages here where nobody works.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Useless Eaters
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We have three now which is good. My 17 yr old will have two jobs this summer. One sitting behind the computer, one manual labor. My other kid is 14 and will be looking next year. MAGA
View Quote
Excellent job dad!

My house rules 
You Go to School, You Work or you get the hell out!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There's entire villages here where nobody works.
View Quote
I would guess easily more than half the people in my city don't work, all you have to do is look at the all traffic at 10am or 2pm when everyone should either be at school or work, or drive by a family fitness gym at 10 am and see a packed parking lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top