Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2017 10:14:18 PM EDT
My cell phone is used for my own personal use. I don't always have it in my immediate possession. I don't feel the need to jump up to answer any and all the little chimes, dings and rings.

If I want to make a call, I make the call and leave a message if they don't answer. Text you say, sure thing, just like e-mail; I will get back to it when I see the message...

What is it that you people have to have the electronic leash attached at all times? I can understand if you are on-call or are constantly making sales, but fucking stop the non-sense.

I am not on a 24/7 on-call ready to roll job status. Get your shit done during regular business hours.

Poll to follow, if I get around to it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Janitor?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
yes.

I always have it on me and rarely refuse a call.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha, not a mindless slave to the system. If the paper rolls are full, its all good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Elderly parents not always in good health
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
"I could care less"

Meaning I care enough that there is a degree of caring that would be less than I care.

OP means "I COULDN'T care less" ... meaning there is no degree of caring that is less than I care now, it's not possible to care any less.

I generally have my phone close, but don't scramble to pick it up and answer if someone texts or calls. If I'm doing something that prohibits answering or responding, it can wait. Driving is one of those things.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm on call 24/7
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That is a very valid and honorable reason to have the cell phone fully charged and ready for use. You get a pass sir. I hope they re doing well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll get back to you when I get back to you. Phone is not tethered to my body.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"I could care less"

Meaning I care enough that there is a degree of caring that would be less than I care.

OP means "I COULDN'T care less" ... meaning there is no degree of caring that is less than I care now, it's not possible to care any less.

I generally have my phone close, but don't scramble to pick it up and answer if someone texts or calls. If I'm doing something that prohibits answering or responding, it can wait. Driving is one of those things.
View Quote
Nope. I could care less. Meaning if I put forth the effort, I could care less...but I don't care to put in the work involved to care
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll get back to you when I get back to you. Phone is not tethered to my body.
View Quote
Damn Straight! This guy gets it!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Form May to November on call pretty much 24/7 after Thanksgiving I'll call you back when I get to it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If I could remove the phone app from my phone I would.

If my phone rings and I don't know the number, I never answer it.

If I recognize the number or it is a contact I will make a judgement call as to whether I answer it or not.

Unsolicited texts I may return if I know them or find them important.

Texts from friends will be returned when I can.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I always answer or return calls and texts. When is a matter of priority and opportunity.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Oilfield. Whatever it takes. Screen everything else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oilfield. Whatever it takes. Screen everything else.
View Quote
Of course, screen those calls. If the caller doesn't make the cut...too bad...they will get a call back when or if warranted. Then again, maybe not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I usually take calls from people I know, unless I'm otherwise occupied and don't feel like talking.  If I don't know the number, I probably won't take the call.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That is a very valid and honorable reason to have the cell phone fully charged and ready for use. You get a pass sir. I hope they re doing well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you but one does not really recover from old age. On top of that I cannot screen local calls as I never know if it's the hospital or a neighbor calling about my parents.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#18]
If I'm not making a call then the phone is turned off. I check it every couple days to see if there are any messages.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't answer calls unless they are friends or family.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I usually take calls from people I know, unless I'm otherwise occupied and don't feel like talking.  If I don't know the number, I probably won't take the call.
View Quote
I don't get many personal calls.  I'm the one calling family most often, since I'm single and they have kids out and about.

Since the summer, I'm getting spammed a lot, both on my cell and my land line, so while my phone is always on, I'll silence it when I see it's some bullshit area code where I know nobody.

Unless I'm at a movie, in coitus, or eating out, I'll take the call.

I have a flip phone, so I'm not one of those people you see buried in their phones, while eating out with their spouse/SO.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. Often don't answer even if I do.

Quoted:
View Quote
Mom's still in pretty good health, but she is getting up in years, so I do always have the phone on and close at hand.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I'm not making a call then the phone is turned off. I check it every couple days to see if there are any messages.
View Quote
Ha ha, nice!

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Real estate during the day. K9 cop at night.

Yeah pretty much tethered to the phone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Self employed so yeah pretty much all day and night.  Some customers have no idea what a normal business hour is including calling really late or early and on Saturdays and Sundays.  Have to take business when you can get it though.  If not for work I would not have a phone period!!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I only answer family, really.  Some friends, but if it's important they will leave a message.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I always have my phone but very rarely will I answer a phone call.

If you want to talk to me, text me like a normal person.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a parent, so phone is always on and close. Calling me doesn't mean I'll answer, nor does texting get you a quick response.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#28]
My daughter got me a new smart phone (Galaxy 8S+) yesterday and I even figured it out and put the things on it that suit me. I'm sure what little i put on there is not 10% of what it can do but it will be no different than the TracPhone or my tablet. It will stay off till I go to use it.

It's sitting in front me now...Turned off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
It's usually near me unless I forget.

If I have an office job I take it and read Kindle books at my desk with the occasional bout of Pokemon Go.  Also use it for social media at work to avoid the firewall.  Don't have an office job at the moment (have a job but it's more active).

Don't answer calls unless it's my wife or I've been waiting for the call. I have given it to customers for specific situations and had it get passed around the office. If they called during business hours I'd usually take it, or call them back from the office line.  If they called after hours It went to voicemail and the call was not returned.

I do use Google Voice to handle my voicemail and text messages, so I have a good handle on who's calling/texting me and I generally get back to them quickly.  

My phone is for my convenience.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"I could care less"

View Quote
"I could care less" = Sarcasm
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ha ha, nice!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha ha, nice!

I have a pre-paid 3lte flip phone from Tracfone. I can send texts but I have to use the dial keys so when I do they are short.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I ignore out of state calls. If a relative is calling from that state for some reason, they can leave a message. Hasn't happened yet.

In state calls are trickier, since it may be someone I know, but not know their number. fortunately, most scam/spam calls I get are robocalls, so I can hang up right away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Personal phone, it's intermittent if I answer or not.
Work phone, I answer when it's my boss, or known co-worker pretty much within 3 or 4 rings.  

If I don't have your number, to voicemail you go.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I have my phone on me if I'm awake, mainly for my entertainment since my job doesnt technically require a phone ( just makes it easier then walking around the jobsite looking for people when there's a question).  

As for calls, if it doesn't show up as someone in my contacts I'm not answering, leave a VMail and I'll listen to it when I have time. Due to my hearing and the ambient noise at work I fucking HATE  taking calls at work. Anyone who actually knows me besides maybe my parents will send a text if they have a question/need to get in touch.

I check email and texts when I have down time, read arfcom on my break and lunch, on the commute to and from work  etc.

ETA: That being said , any calls that show up as from my town or the town where my sons live ( live with exwife 100 miles away) I answer as I assume it's related to my school age kids.
I still have an out of state number after living in WA for the last 9 years, any unknown calls from my area code I assume are robocalls or wrong numbers, cuts down on the number of calls I get
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#36]
If it is someone with whom I am doing business with, I will almost always answer immediately, or within a reasonable time frame if I can't.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm seriously considering picking a length of time each week that I put my phone up somewhere for a half day or so.  I'm starting to see the need for a break from the constant connection to anyone and everyone who needs or wants something.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I answer mine most of the time, since a lot of the calls are work related. But after a certain time of night, I just let it ring.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I am always on call but most times i won't answer personal calls just work calls to go to work.  If you make it to voicemail the message is "leave a message or not if you get back to you i do if i don't yep"  The callers at work have grown to hate that when trying to give me my call.

Text on the other hand shit is set to silent and i check it when i want to.  Want to ninja kick most of my friend in the nether regions when i do check it do to 10 people 3 group conversations and 300 messages of nothing but stupidity.  I think the inventor of texting should have been castrated.

On my off day when i do have them phone is shut off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I am seeing a bunch of you guys admit to having your cell phone tethered to your body...

Anyone remember the Futurama episode about the "eye phone"...seems like thats where we are going in a few years
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#41]
My cell is always on me 24/7 can't live without it, haha. However I never pick up my phone when someone calls. Have it on do not disturb mode 24/7 all calls go straight to voicemail. I just like to screen my calls basically. Leave a message and i'll listen to it asap and if I like what I hear I'll call ya back asap, if not well then you'll never get a call back. Texts I tend to answer more often. Only time I don't answer is if I don't like ya or I'm asleep or in the shower or at the gym or busy with something basically. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I always have it on me, whether I answer it depends on who it is. Wife or my Dad calls I always answer, work calls and I'm not at work or on the clock they can fuck off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Always have my cell phone but only take calls from family, girlfriend, and numbers from work.

I tend to ignore everything else.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I always have it, because I'm disabled and sometimes can't get up when I fall (which was my initial reason for getting a cell phone), but I don't always answer it. I don't answer any call if I don't recognize the number.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spend 99% of my time in the office, so I've resisted a company phone as unnecessary. I don't want or need to deal with the tards I make my living off of in my free time. The free phone ain't worth it.

I do talk to my elderly parents daily though.  I seriously don't think we talked this much when I lived with them.

I don't regret either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I never answer calls that I did not recognize the number. Being a night shift person, my phone is set during sleeping hours to only ring when my wife's cell phone or my immediate supervisor cell phone calls me.

My wife and supervisor know they can call me from their desk phones and leave a message and it will not disturb me, neither will any text messages.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#47]
I am on night shift. My phone is set to "do not disturb" during sleepytime, since the day shift has a bad habit of calling night shift if something is left out of place when they get to the hangar, rather than waiting until we get to work.

On the flip side of that, if we call anyone on the dayshift at 2 in the morning, we never hear the end of it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:41:39 AM EDT
[#48]
At my previous job I had a company phone and had to be available 24/7.

Now I just have my own and it's just for personal use. The number of people that have the number can be counted on one hand.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I almost always have my phone in my pocket. Text/snapchat/whatever notifications are silent. Work email is set to vibrate during certain hours.

I don't pick up calls from numbers that I don't know and if I do know who is calling it's about a 50% chance I'll pick it up depending on the person.

My phone is for my convenience, not other people's.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#50]
As a rule, the phone is on for my convenience and I turn it off when I am asleep. Voicemail, texts, and emails for a reason.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top