Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/20/2017 8:27:52 PM EDT
Holly S**t!

I just finished paying for our family of four's 7 day Carnival (I know, Carnival..The only cruise that worked with my vacation, and we could drive to get to) cruise.  The cruise lines must be the kings of nickel and diming people to death.  From mandatory gratuity fees, to the drink packages, to premium dining and excursions (didn't book any through carnival, went direct for all three).  All the extras are going to exceed the $4K cost of the cruise for our family of four.

I only agreed because a cruise is high on my wife's bucket list, but right now, I'm in the never again camp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta pay to play
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Rookie.  Gotta sneak in with your own booze.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That's not nickel and diming

Buy drinks individually at higher rate or buy drink package

Book excursion through carnival or risk rapey Joe's scuba shack

Etc
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

This is what you seek OP 

Also, the gratuity is so the very nice people from third world countries that fold your towels into animals can send money home. 

Also, book with Royal Caribbean or Norwegian or a nicer cruise line. You'll thank me. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
A cruise can be plenty affordable, sure you can spend extra cash on specialty dining etc but by no means is that sort of thing necessary to have a good time. We are generally out of a cruise with a bill of a couple hundred.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya, and for cruises sneak in your own booze

Whiskey can be hidden in sweat tea bottle. Rum or vodka goes in mouthwash bottles

Use super glue to reseal the tamper seals
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
dibs on optics
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya, and for cruises sneak in your own booze

Whiskey can be hidden in sweat tea bottle. Rum or vodka goes in mouthwash bottles

Use super glue to reseal the tamper seals
View Quote
Water bottles shaped like bags seem to be very effective.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol.  Carnival.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm at a hotel where a can of beer costs $6.  I was jonesing and the hotel's about a mile away from anything else so I paid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rookie.  Gotta sneak in with your own booze.
View Quote
I'm looking into options here.  However they only allow you to bring sealed cans of nonalcoholic beverages on board.  Limit 12 per passenger.

Quoted:
Driving a boat the size of an aircraft carrier around the Caribbean for a week isn't cheap.

Carnival is the cheapest/crappiest of all major cruise lines, therefore to get you in the door they take a loss on the inside tiny stateroom and try to claw it back off the booze/excursions.

The only add-on that seems valid to me is the gratuities. Lots of the staff work 16 hours a day 7 days a week and without tips they only get a couple of bucks an hour.
View Quote
We sprung for a balcony cabin, lido deck.  None of that below the water line steerage crap for us.

Quoted:
http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

This is what you seek OP 

Also, the gratuity is so the very nice people from third world countries that fold your towels into animals can send money home. 

Also, book with Royal Caribbean or Norwegian or a nicer cruise line. You'll thank me. 
View Quote
I'll take a serious look at that.  Like I said, Carnival was the only one that worked around my vacation, and we get an industry discount, so theres that.

Quoted:
Lol.  Carnival.
View Quote
See above.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm at a hotel where a can of beer costs $6.  I was jonesing and the hotel's about a mile away from anything else so I paid.
View Quote
I feel your pain, that's me.  Three or four nights every week I'm at work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Not an issue for me. I refuse to leave dry land.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Cruises are awesome.  Definitely the best way to travel.:)
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Do they allow you to bring a 750ml bottle of wine per person of legal drinking age?

We bottle our own wine.....3 bottles, myself, wife , mother.......Southern Comfort 100 proof and coconut rum in colored wine bottles with our labels on them, nothing but winning!

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
You did it wrong. We snuck 18 liters of hard alcohol in using rum runners (group of 8) on top of the 1 bottle per person of wine you are allowed to bring (which was port ).

We paid $599 for 5 destination 9 day Caribbean cruise. In hind sight I would have gotten drink package because I drink heavy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been on quite a few, they are a great way to get a small taste of a bunch of places in a short amount of time.  Everything has a price because everything is optional.  If they didn't give you the option of paying for what you want but instead made it all inclusive 3/4 of their customers couldn't afford the ticket.  As a result of that, the tickets get even more expensive.

Gratuity is not nickel and diming. It's paying for a service, no different than tipping a waitress.

I understand sticker shock if this is your first cruise though, most don't do much research before they jump on board and start using that cabin card.

Edit, I thought you already sailed, misread.  Learn stuff here to maybe save some money and make your experience better. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Edit 2:  People are saying rum runners because at the cruise terminal your bags will go through a scanner like the TSA.  They are looking for weapons as well as bottle shapes.  Rum runners are "bladders" that when packed in with a bunch of your normal toiletries and shoes etc tend not to show up or look like anything.  People then just make their own drinks to avoid drink costs on board.  If they find them they will just throw them out so you are out the cost of the runner and contents. 

Also, power strip, small one not normal size, bring with.  One outlet per cabin.  Good call on the balcony, my favorite place to be.  Never pay for an aft balcony they are 3 times the price and you will never be happy with anything less after, ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do they allow you to bring a 750ml bottle of wine per person of legal drinking age?

We bottle our own wine.....3 bottles, myself, wife , mother.......Southern Comfort 100 proof and coconut rum in colored wine bottles with our labels on them, nothing but winning!

View Quote
This is what I do, only I fill wine bottles with everclear and high proof bourbon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Holly S**t!

I just finished paying for our family of four's 7 day Carnival (I know, Carnival..The only cruise that worked with my vacation, and we could drive to get to) cruise.  The cruise lines must be the kings of nickel and diming people to death.  From mandatory gratuity fees, to the drink packages, to premium dining and excursions (didn't book any through carnival, went direct for all three).  All the extras are going to exceed the $4K cost of the cruise for our family of four.

I only agreed because a cruise is high on my wife's bucket list, but right now, I'm in the never again camp.
View Quote
1K each and you're bitching?

We went to DC last year, took the train even and spent that.

Never even saw the ocean.

Stop being poor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Stop being poor.
View Quote
Yep did HI for a week a few months ago, not cruise stayed in resorts, well over 7K (didn't pay that, wife is travel agent) for 2 people.   Cruising is about as cheap as it gets unless you are going to chevy chase it for vacation, or Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#23]

For 25'ish years I have had the ability to go on cruises for free, I have never gone once.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For 25'ish years I have had the ability to go on cruises for free, I have never gone once.
View Quote
Dad is that you??
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Never really saw the appeal to cruises, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep did HI for a week a few months ago, not cruise stayed in resorts, well over 7K (didn't pay that, wife is travel agent) for 2 people.   Cruising is about as cheap as it gets unless you are going to chevy chase it for vacation, or Mexico.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop being poor.
Working for an airline, we travel a lot.  Did a week in Maui last fall, didn't get near $1K/person total cost (but we didn't do a resort, condo), Georgetown/D.C in Feb, four days for about $800 total for the family, all inclusive in Cancun last time for $99/night/person.  I don't mind spending the $$, I just believe in maximum return for the money.  No hotel we have stayed in, ever has charged us for our 1.5 year old, the cruise was 75% or so of the full adult price for the child.  That's kind of excessive IMHO.  Istanbul for 8 days didn't cost what the cruise will.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Never really saw the appeal to cruises, but to each his own.
View Quote
Drinks
Meals
Comedy shows
Sea air
Different ports
Bikinis
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah you have to be careful planning a vacation. Even an "all inclusive" isnt "all inclusive" and you find out they have an "all inclusive all inclusive" that you didnt know about cause the rich dont like rubbing elbows with the serfs. I'm a good tipper but not matter how much you give them they give you this pouty 3rd world look like your a rich gringo and should be spreading the worlds wealth better in The New World Order. This was no cheap vacation, I put some serious coin out.

And as beautiful a country as Costa is if you go to one of those volcano resorts the only good spread they put out is breakfast, which is included with the room. For lunch or dinner they murder you with lousy food and incredible prices, and theres nowhere else to go cause your up in the middle of no where. I'm talking a $12 salad thats all lettuce and green pepper like something from the HS cafeteria. I called the manager over and told him I wouldnt charge anyone $6 for this salad even with a ski mask on. Comments like these of course makes them forget their English. So...if you ever go to Costa Rica make sure you stay in places within walking of a main drag with restaurants. The Pacific side surf towns are charming and have good eats. Oh and we hooked a 600 lb Blue Marlin which was a thrill, "I let my kid catch it".

Which is THE best cruise Line and where? I cant roll on the cheap anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Working for an airline, we travel a lot.  Did a week in Maui last fall, didn't get near $1K/person total cost (but we didn't do a resort, condo), Georgetown/D.C in Feb, four days for about $800 total for the family, all inclusive in Cancun last time for $99/night/person.  I don't mind spending the $, I just believe in maximum return for the money.  No hotel we have stayed in, ever has charged us for our 1.5 year old, the cruise was 75% or so of the full adult price for the child.  That's kind of excessive IMHO.  Istanbul for 8 days didn't cost what the cruise will.
View Quote
Your flights must have been free, they hover around $1000-$1200 per person alone out of ORD.  Also, did you eat food other than a chicken you beheaded in the parking lot?  This was the average price for dinner for 2 at a (somewhat) nice bar and grill.  Yes I have the hand writing of a retard.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Buy the drink package, pay the gratuities up front, and pay for your excursions when you book. Easy peasy. The buffet on our cruise the outta this world, we never ate anywhere else.

ETA: Cruising is a great way to plan future trips. We learned that Roatan is a 2.5 hour Delta flight from Houston. We could spend a weekend on the island at a resort for $1,000.00 total. I've spent more than that for three days in Orange Beach and/or Destin.
Belize is even closer and one of my wife's clients has a bed and breakfast there. We get invites to go all the time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Still cheaper by day than a nursing home
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yeah you have to be careful planning a vacation. Even an "all inclusive" isnt "all inclusive" and you find out they have an "all inclusive all inclusive" that you didnt know about cause the rich dont like rubbing elbows with the serfs. I'm a good tipper but not matter how much you give them they give you this pouty 3rd world look like your a rich gringo and should be spreading the worlds wealth better in The New World Order. This was no cheap vacation, I put some serious coin out.

And as beautiful a country as Costa is if you go to one of those volcano resorts the only good spread they put out is breakfast, which is included with the room. For lunch or dinner they murder you with lousy food and incredible prices, and theres nowhere else to go cause your up in the middle of no where. I'm talking a $12 salad thats all lettuce and green pepper like something from the HS cafeteria. I called the manager over and told him I wouldnt charge anyone $6 for this salad even with a ski mask on. Comments like these of course makes them forget their English. So...if you ever go to Costa Rica make sure you stay in places within walking of a main drag with restaurants. The Pacific side surf towns are charming and have good eats. Oh and we hooked a 600 lb Blue Marlin which was a thrill, "I let my kid catch it".

View Quote
The BEST cost several times more but offer a stodgy environment; I find that of the mass market lines, Celebrity offers an excellent experience; the best of the bunch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Op you just have to learn to say no, sneak on booze and not tip.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol.

If you mean the top of the line mainstream cruise lines look into Regent Seven Seas, Crystal Cruises, Riviera Ocean Cruises etc.  Warning you are talking about costs in the 5 digits for something not in steerage.  Better like wearing a tux are at the minimum a very expensive suit to the main dining hall every night etc.  Your complaining about a salad cost of $12 makes me think a second mortgage will be in order.

The non mainstream lines are even nicer, costlier and stuffier.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oceania but I wouldn't want to mingle with the people on one of those cruises. I think they do some world cruises that will go well over $100k per person.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Your flights must have been free, they hover around $1000-$1200 per person alone out of ORD.  Also, did you eat food other than a chicken you beheaded in the parking lot?  This was the average price for dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant.  Yes I have the hand writing of a retard.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351202/20170214-120528-191839.JPG
View Quote
We do fly for just about nothing.  We got a beach condo off booking.com for a good rate.  Hit the grocery store (as wildly overpriced as it was), and cooked most of our meals in the condo.  Only ate out four times all week.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We do fly for just about nothing.  We got a beach condo off booking.com for a good rate.  Hit the grocery store (as wildly overpriced as it was), and cooked most of our meals in the condo.  Only ate out four times all week.
View Quote
Ahh ok. Free flights is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I brought on a bottle of champagne and 2 pints of vodka it was easy and in the original containers .
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ahh ok. Free flights is awesome!
View Quote
Not really, you have to either travel in the off season, or give yourself lots of time, and options to get home.  

At one point we were looking at a three leg trip back home, but plan A worked out, so it wasn't necessary.  I've spent two extra days getting home in the past.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not really, you have to either travel in the off season, or give yourself lots of time, and options to get home.  

At one point we were looking at a three leg trip back home, but plan A worked out, so it wasn't necessary.  I've spent two extra days getting home in the past.
View Quote
Cool, heed my advice about rum runners if that's your thing, but especially about the power strip and be careful with that cabin card.  It gets you into your cabin but also is swiped for anything that costs money.  If you get enough drinks in you it's easy to forget you are spending your own money.  You have to own up when you walk off the ship.

Good call on the balcony.  Some of my favorite memories and reading a book with a drink in my hand and looking out the ocean as it goes by with nothing else on the horizon.  Have fun OP.

Last tip, before sunset go down to deck 6, 7 or 8.  One of them is the running deck.  Follow the "track" to the back of the ship, free sunset wake view and no one there.  Cheapest seats in the house.  There are people 5 decks above you that have a balcony to sit on in the aft and see the same view but they paid literally thousands more. Let it stop there, getting one if those cabins for the whole cruise gets REALLY expensive.  I have a problem
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's not nickel and diming

Buy drinks individually at higher rate or buy drink package

Book excursion through carnival or risk rapey Joe's scuba shack

Etc
View Quote
This....

And the premium dining fee is worth it for less crowd.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Last cruise I went on ( Seattle to Alaska and back), they tried the old mandatory gratuity BS on us. I went to the main desk area and after some haggling had it removed. They were not happy, but after the cash I dropped on the room with balcony, booze and excursions I wasn't going to pay some third worlders whose only job was to clean my room and make my bed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#44]
I always wanted to take a Mississippi River cruise. Was at a fair one time and the company that runs them had a booth set up, so I picked up a brochure.

One with prices in it.

Holy Crap they're expensive!!! Guess that gets struck off the "Things To Do" list.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Last cruise I went on ( Seattle to Alaska and back), they tried the old mandatory gratuity BS on us. I went to the main desk area and after some haggling had it removed. They were not happy, but after the cash I dropped on the room with balcony, booze and excursions I wasn't going to pay some third worlders whose only job was to clean my room and make my bed.
View Quote
You didn't go from Seattle to Alaska and directly back to Seattle, US law doesn't allow that, you likely stopped over in Canada.  See the Jones Act. Cruises leaving the US which are registered outside of the US (they mostly all are except the one below, and that one doesn't employ third "worlders", all ship staff are US citizens) must make port in one other country before returning to the US with the exception of the Norwegian Pride of America which is the only ship able to lawfully go from the mainland to HI and back.

The next time you go to a restaurant wave the waitress off, when you hear the bell get up and get your own food, drinks etc. That would be a valid situation to not tip.  If you accepted service of them making you bed and cleaning your room, it's too late not to tip, services were rendered.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I always wanted to take a Mississippi River cruise. Was at a fair one time and the company that runs them had a booth set up, so I picked up a brochure.

One with prices in it.

Holy Crap they're expensive!!! Guess that gets struck off the "Things To Do" list.

View Quote
Interior cruises are pricey.  They are staffed by Americans and American wages. They are also a lot more "intimate" and "high end" as compared to a 4K passenger cruise ship like something like the Norwegian Epic or Royal Caribbean's new monsters.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:41:11 AM EDT
[#47]
If you think Carnival is bad you should try Norwegian. BTW I have had good experience with Carnival.. Coming back into Miami on our last cruise..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:42:34 AM EDT
[#48]
i have been on a few cruises.  all that stuff is extra except for the tip.  the regular included food is pretty good.  for our family of 4 i think if we ate the same food in a restaurant we would pay $250 -300 a day for food.  We drank whatever was included in the cruise.  juice milk etc. could never understand why pop cost money while OJ is free. We don't drink so i don't know about prices.  a freind went on a cruise and he bought the premium drink package. like $65 a day.  He said he was drinking multiple shot of specialty stuff that was $35 a shot at his restaurant.  he said he got his monies worth and more .

the free shows are usually pretty good.  the excursions are usually a rip off. the only positive about go through the ship is that they will wait for you if you are late. other wise they will leave without you.   i find a cruises the best value in a vacation
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You didn't go from Seattle to Alaska and directly back to Seattle, US law doesn't allow that, you likely stopped over in Canada.  See the Jones Act. Cruises leaving the US which are registered outside of the US (they mostly all are except the one below, and that one doesn't employ third "worlders", all ship staff are US citizens) must make port in one other country before returning to the US with the exception of the Norwegian Pride of America which is the only ship able to lawfully go from the mainland to HI and back.

The next time you go to a restaurant wave the waitress off, when you hear the bell get up and get your own food, drinks etc. That would be a valid situation to not tip.  If you accepted service of them making you bed and cleaning your room, it's too late not to tip, services were rendered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct we stopped in Cow Bay Canada(I think it was called that) before returning to Seattle. I'm not cheap and always tip 20% or more when I go out for dinner. What made the cruise tip add on so infuriating was that it was automatically added to the bill and that the only persons it covered was the guy/girl who made the bed and took out the trash. I don't tip house keepers when I stay in hotels and I'm not going to do that when my room is floating on water instead of being on land. I would book a cruise again and would like to do Alaska again or one of the European river cruises.

Edit to add that the cruise line to Alaska was either Scandanavian or Norwegian. Honestly can't remember.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are correct we stopped in Cow Bay Canada(I think it was called that) before returning to Seattle. I'm not cheap and always tip 20% or more when I go out for dinner. What made the cruise tip add on so infuriating was that it was automatically added to the bill and that the only persons it covered was the guy/girl who made the bed and took out the trash. I don't tip house keepers when I stay in hotels and I'm not going to do that when my room is floating on water instead of being on land. I would book a cruise again and would like to do Alaska again or one of the European river cruises.

Edit to add that the cruise line to Alaska was either Scandanavian or Norwegian. Honestly can't remember.
View Quote
May I ask why? 

You have no idea what you are talking about the tip taken also covers the servers who serve you food in the main dining hall, the maître d' that heads the main dining hall that takes care of your food if there is a problem, room service and waitresses.  It's shared among many staff that wait you.  They are not on our soil killing people, they are making your bed taking your trash and cooking the food you eat while aboard. If you don't trust them, I wouldn't eat the food they made for you. If you don't want third "worlders" serving you go to Disney world then tell me about the cost. Stop being a cheap and go be poor somewhere else.

Where I come from, you pay people that do something for you.  This is how the world works.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top