Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2017 5:42:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
When they've been convicted of firing a gun at police, no.
No, they should not have guns in that case.

Guess that's hard to understand for some.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Shall not be infringed, bro.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
In.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some say a man free to live in society is a free man.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rights can be deprived though due process. I tend to agree with the folks that think if a guy cant be trusted with a gun, he should never be released. It's still gun control and only as effective as any other law in that it only disarms those who are inclined to obey laws. A convicted felon intent on committing more crimes wont follow the law so it will only affect convicts who turned their life around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Dang he had some decent shit
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
If he can't be trusted with a gun in society then he doesn't deserve to be in society.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Misleading thread title is misleading
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The key word here is convicted

Bro
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Once a sentence is served, all rights need to be restored
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If he can't be trusted with a gun in society then he doesn't deserve to be in society.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Zombie eh: Must be observing the average democrat voter....If the felony did not involve firearms I say you get gun rights back...when back in society....but I am pro gun...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
It's hard to believe you can be arrested and held with a $100,000 bond for owning a cordless drill.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I tend to agree with this. I have a cousin who is a convicted felon. He embesseled money from the bank he worked at. He's never done anything violent but because of this he can't own a firearm.

I had a great collection that he had to sell off during his trial. I got some sweet deals but I still don't think its right. He's welcome to use them anytime he pleases.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I say if he commits a serious crime, punish him severely for the crime.  Once his debt is paid then why continue to deprive him of his rights?  If he's that dangerous then why did you let him out?

I don't understand the way we apply the law in this country.  Some people that commit serious crimes get a slap on the wrist and other people get punished like crazy for what they "might" do.

What other constitutional rights are voided forever if you commit a felony?  Does he lose his First Amendment right?  5th?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Misleading thread title is misleading
View Quote
What part is incorrect?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

then don't break the law bro...criminals have lost their rights under the constitution for a rather long time.
don't like the laws, fight to change them, too lazy to fight them, obey them, bro...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
If he is still a threat he should still be in prison.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I say if he commits a serious crime, punish him severely for the crime.  Once his debt is paid then why continue to deprive him of his rights?  If he's that dangerous then why did you let him out?

I don't understand the way we apply the law in this country.  Some people that commit serious crimes get a slap on the wrist and other people get punished like crazy for what they "might" do.

What other constitutional rights are voided forever if you commit a felony?  Does he lose his First Amendment right?  5th?
View Quote
I can agree with this on some laws. On both sides, in this mans case firing shot at police, probably shouldn't be brought back into society,

But a white collar crime, why deprive them of their rights if they were never violent?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

then don't break the law bro...criminals have lost their rights under the constitution for a rather long time.
don't like the laws, fight to change them, too lazy to fight them, obey them, bro...
View Quote
That's infringing, bro
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where in the constitution does it say criminals that have served their time are stripped of their rights?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh well he knew he was a felon sooooo
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oh well he knew he was a felon sooooo
View Quote
LOL

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I tend to agree with this. I have a cousin who is a convicted felon. He embesseled money from the bank he worked at. He's never done anything violent but because of this he can't own a firearm.

I had a great collection that he had to sell off during his trial. I got some sweet deals but I still don't think its right. He's welcome to use them anytime he pleases.
View Quote
Once he assumed control of a firearm it becomes a "felon in possession" in MS. Probably an aiding an abetting charge for you.
Be careful what you put on the internet.
For the record, non-violent felons should IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Unpossible, WA has UBCs, we're like all safe and shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Moron needs to learn some opsec. Some anti-gun family members definitely ratted him out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#30]
lol

AMF
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even in Colonial days felons were disenfranchised of any right to bear arms.  Clayton Cramer wrote a book on the subject.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Rights can be deprived though due process. I tend to agree with the folks that think if a guy cant be trusted with a gun, he should never be released. It's still gun control and only as effective as any other law in that it only disarms those who are inclined to obey laws. A convicted felon intent on committing more crimes wont follow the law so it will only affect convicts who turned their life around.
View Quote
God given rights?  As in the (our) Constitution?  Jesus - who knew those rights could be deprived?  
Having said that, at one time rather than the POPO and the courts (which do not seem to be working too well these days), the common citizens would take care of business to rid themselves of the trash.  Kind of reminds me of the concept of 'free speech': that is, all speech is guaranteed except 'hate speech'.  Again, who knew?
Pretty slippery slope I would say ...............
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Even in Colonial days felons were disenfranchised of any right to bear arms.  Clayton Cramer wrote a book on the subject.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Key word being "should."

Short of a life without parole sentence, point me to one place in the U.S. where that is actually the rule rather than the exception.
View Quote
So that's a Bill of Rights problem and not a Justice System problem?

Seems like many here who are willing to sacrifice basic liberties to provide cover for an inept and inefficient justice system. That's fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Must have been watching too much Walking Dead
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with the above.  If we want to live in a "free country" we shouldn't deny rights beyond a sentence handed down by a judge.  There are consequences to freedom, and  I prefer to live in an armed society. Denying all felons the right to gun ownership is anti 2nd ammendment. But it's ok because it makes people "FEEL safe".  After all, bad guys shouldn't have guns right?  That just feels great until some twisted Judge appointed by a gun grabber meets you in a court of law.

Many felons have paid their penalties and erned their right to own firearms, to vote, to live freely in our "formerly free" country.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I always say we should take away the 8th so we can torture people. So they get convicted and then their 8th is stripped before their sentencing. Boom judge can sentence them to be flayed alive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Rights CAN be infringed upon commission of a crime. Jail is a temporary suspension of your rights. Or should inmates have the right to bear arms?

In fact, upon conviction, you can even be deprived of your inalienable rights as named in the Declaration of Independence (while incarcerated, you do not have the right to liberty or the pursuit of happiness, and capital punishment can deprive you of life). There is nothing in the constitution that states that a suspension of rights based on an arrest has to end upon release from custody.

The sex offender list is an example of this. You are released from custody, having paid a debt to society, but due to a past history of dangerous behavior, certain rights are suspended (such as your ability to live where you choose).

I'm normally as conservative as it comes when it comes to gun rights, but somebody who has a history of shooting at police officers has a demonstrated history of disregard for life and the law, as well as poor impulse control.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
God given rights?  As in the (our) Constitution?  Jesus - who knew those rights could be deprived?  
Having said that, at one time rather than the POPO and the courts (which do not seem to be working too well these days), the common citizens would take care of business to rid themselves of the trash.  Kind of reminds me of the concept of 'free speech': that is, all speech is guaranteed except 'hate speech'.  Again, who knew?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's in the 5th amendment. We execute people through due process and you wouldnt argue that that violates their right to life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Rights CAN be infringed upon commission of a crime. Jail is a temporary suspension of your rights. Or should inmates have the right to bear arms?

In fact, upon conviction, you can even be deprived of your inalienable rights as named in the Declaration of Independence (while incarcerated, you do not have the right to liberty or the pursuit of happiness, and capital punishment can deprive you of life). There is nothing in the constitution that states that a suspension of rights based on an arrest has to end upon release from custody.

The sex offender list is an example of this. You are released from custody, having paid a debt to society, but due to a past history of dangerous behavior, certain rights are suspended (such as your ability to live where you choose).

I'm normally as conservative as it comes when it comes to gun rights, but somebody who has a history of shooting at police officers has a demonstrated history of disregard for life and the law, as well as poor impulse control.
View Quote
That's infringing, bro.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And the law didnt keep him from arming himself. It only stops the guys who decide to obey the law and those are exactly the ones you dont have to worry about. Its as effective as any gun control in that sense.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If he is still a threat he should still be in prison.
View Quote
Think of it this way.  Released felons aren't free men.  They're on perpetual probation until their full rights are restored by law, court or a pardon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's infringing, bro.
View Quote
Your argument is so well thought out. How could anyone disagree with that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Gotta be a dupe, because I already knew this, and I get all my news here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or extend his prison stay which is absurd too...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah I don't have any sympathy in this case. He's a felon and knows he isn't supposed to have any firearms. If he wants his firearm rights back he can get a lawyer and try to get appeal to get his rights back. Sorry but this is just how it is, doesn't matter if you don't agree with the laws. If you break the law and get caught there will be consequences plain and simple. He knew it and chose to risk it and got caught. It's not like they arrested some law abiding citizen for no reason. If that happens then I'd be worried.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#48]
"anonymous tip"   Pissed off the ex maybe? Opsec and all that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Dude should have kept his mouth shut.

That said I'm also of the camp that says if your serve your time your punishment is over.  

The really shitty part is that some people are in jail for over 20 years for selling weed.  Then someone will do something violent and be out in a few years.  So many stupid laws, shitty judges, horrible perversions of the law, and other assorted BS.  I'm not one to judge someone for making a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Your argument is so well thought out. How could anyone disagree with that.
View Quote
Because it's a fact, bro.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top