Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 10:25:43 AM EDT
I bought this thing off ebay knowing it would need some TLC.  That's not the issue.  The sling swivel is seized even after liberal application of WD40 (don't have any Kroil).  If I can get the pin out to remove the whole assembly, where can I get a replacement sling swivel or do I just need to mod it for a more modern swivel?

Also, can I just remove the rubber butt pad and put on an A2 butt plate? I'm no expert on old surplus A1 stocks.  It appears to be epoxied on? At least I can't find any screws holding it on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you try asking in the retro forum?

Those guys know all that stuff
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you bought a type 'D' stock.  Just buy yourself a type 'E' A1 stock and be done with it.

This seller on gunbroker has quite a few type 'E' stocks.  Find a buttplate and sling swivel and you're good to go.  Or find a complete type 'E' stock and you're good to go.

Type 'E' A1 stock
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about a trapdoor or non-trap door stock?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought this thing off ebay knowing it would need some TLC.  That's not the issue.  The sling swivel is seized even after liberal application of WD40 (don't have any Kroil).  If I can get the pin out to remove the whole assembly, where can I get a replacement sling swivel or do I just need to mod it for a more modern swivel?

Also, can I just remove the rubber butt pad and put on an A2 butt plate? I'm no expert on old surplus A1 stocks.  It appears to be epoxied on? At least I can't find any screws holding it on.
View Quote

Many people have tried to remove the roll pin that holds the sling swivel in place and have cracked their stocks.  The rubber butt pad is glued in place and will not accept an A2 butt plate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]
This is what I have:

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you try asking in the retro forum?

Those guys know all that stuff
View Quote
No, not yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds like you bought a type 'D' stock.  Just buy yourself a type 'E' A1 stock and be done with it.

This seller on gunbroker has quite a few type 'E' stocks.  Find a buttplate and sling swivel and you're good to go.  Or find a complete type 'E' stock and you're good to go.

Type 'E' A1 stock
View Quote
I'll consider that route.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#8]
You have a type D stock, trade it for a type E stock which has a trap door like the A2.  That roll pin is rusted in place.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, not yet.
View Quote
Looks like the one I got from Numrich. I tried soaking it in kroil and it is still stuck in there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You have a type D stock, trade it for a type E stock which has a trap door like the A2.  That roll pin is rusted in place.
View Quote
So type E takes a standard A2 butt plate and trap door? What sort of sling swivel, just the "notch" (no idea proper term) variety like what Cav Arms uses?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So type E takes a standard A2 butt plate and trap door? What sort of sling swivel, just the "notch" (no idea proper term) variety like what Cav Arms uses?
View Quote
Type E stocks were the last and most common A1 stocks. You can use an A2 buttplate on these but you'll need an A1 (longer length) lower buttstock screw. You can otherwise use the same trapdoor parts and sling swivel as A2 parts. You just won't need the 5/8" spacer for the buffer tube that A2 stocks use and you WILL need an A1 short buttstock screw for the top.

I wouldn't waste my time/money with Cav stuff.

And the rubber buttplate on Type Ds and older isn't meant to be removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top