Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/19/2017 10:57:52 PM EDT
Wife didn't want me lifting water heaters so she said call someone to do it. OK, I'll play.

Guy was going on about all the special options I can get on this miracle of technology, LED read out, remote WiFi access, A contraption on top that has something to do with water pressure, special stainless doomajiggies that replace my plain old not very high tech copper pipe. (You don't want your neighbors to think you use COPPER pipe do you?) leak alarms, and a couple of things I've forgotten. About the ONLY thing it did not do is give blow jobs.  

I just want a basic electric 55-gallon water heater. I do not need to see LED lights to know it's working, I can turn on the tap for that.  Are folks  really so anal that they need constant remote monitoring of their water heater?  I asked for the cheapest option.  He cheerfully played with his phone, $1710.

Home Depot has the same water heater (Rheem) for $429.  I thanked the very nice salesman, went and bought the thing then installed it myself.  I'll just TELL the wife the plumber did it. Not counting drive time and the time I spent screwing around in the garden section it took about an hour.

Altogether, if you give the guy $100 an hour for labor, and count in the very special pipe etc, he was going to make around 1K profit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Lotta win all the way around right there.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
So what are you going to buy with the remaining $1281
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
When ours went out years ago, I found a NIB one on Craigslist. $350 or so in the store for this model and the guy was asking $125. Deal. Call a plumber and ask if I can buy the parts, remove he old one and have the new one in place and he just hooks it up. Sure, $100. Well I guess it wasn't worth his time so he never showed. Off to YouTube. A trip to Home Depot for a few supplies and an hour later she's up and running.

All in it was less than $200. Felt like a boss even though it's not that hard. That's my CSB.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
In before all the never buy a water heater at a box store guys 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the plumber was certainly trying to lay some very special pipe to you.  
My wife and I did the same exact thing last month, got a Rheem from Home Depot and installed it ourselves.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've only replaced the heating elements in a hot water heater.
I would like to replace the one I have. Run-of-the-mill 50 gallon electric hot water heater, but the welding of the cold and hot water pipes has me worried since I've never done that. This is probably going to sound super dumb but do you guys use a propane torch or a welding machine to do the copper pipe welding?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before all the never buy a water heater at a box store guys 
View Quote
I'll never say that. I'm on my 3rd directly from Ferguson supply in as little as 4 years. I do stuff like this for a living.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you install all of the stuff Austin requires to be up to code?  Expansion tank, drain line, gas cut off, gas vents (2 of them) etc.?  Oh yeah, you are not supposed to install a gas hookup yourself either - there is a permit or some BS according to the guy who quoted me the same outrageous price as you were told.

When you sell your house all of that shit has to be there or you won't pass the code inspection.  Yay Austin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Solder, not weld.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Holy crap, how much does the WH cost?

Empty water heaters are not very heavy.  I moved a 50 gallon electric WH out of my current house and down several stairs, and it still had some water left in it that I couldn't drain out.

If you know anything about plumbing, putting in a water heater is really easy.

EDITED TO ADD:  I did the stupid thing of reading half of a post and responding.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Plumbers , mechanics, contractors, etc. make their living off ignorant people and lazy people who don't want to get their hands dirty.

I have a friend that was charged about $800.00 to replace an old bathroom sink fixture. The new fixture was like $150.00 and an hours labor.

I am glad that my Dad taught me so much and for what I have learned through the years.  Some people have to make a shit ton of money just to deal with everyday stuff.

Between fixing/repairing the families vehicles ( six of them ), fixing/replacing things around the house ( just fixed my sons clothes dryer and saved $300.00) , building my own shit, etc.  I save and save my family thousands a year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would like to replace the one I have. Run-of-the-mill 50 gallon electric hot water heater, but the welding of the cold and hot water pipes has me worried since I've never done that. This is probably going to sound super dumb but do you guys use a propane torch or a welding machine to do the copper pipe welding?
View Quote
Why would you heat hot water 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did you install all of the stuff Austin requires to be up to code?  Expansion tank, drain line, gas cut off, gas vents (2 of them) etc.?  Oh yeah, you are not supposed to install a gas hookup yourself either - there is a permit or some BS according to the guy who quoted me the same outrageous price as you were told.

When you sell your house all of that shit has to be there or you won't pass the code inspection.  Yay Austin.
View Quote
It's an electric water heater. IN and out/done in an hour. I have replaced several.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just cut the pipes and replace it with a braided stainless steel hose with threads on one end that connect to the water heater and a sharkbite fitting on the other end.  No soldering required, takes all of ten seconds to install.  Something like this, you'll need two of them.

The only hard part of installing a water heater is getting rid of the old one
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you don't know how to sweat them just get some shark bite lines they just slip on the pipe then screw to the water heater nipples.

ETA I see I was already beat by the above reply.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you don't know how to sweat them just get some shark bite lines they just slip on the pipe then screw to the water heater nipples.
View Quote
He should learn. 

It's nothing like welding. Ridiculously easy. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why would you heat hot water 
View Quote
Cause that's what water heaters do...They heat hot water. Google "how does a thermostat on a water heater work" if you don't believe me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I replaced mine myself as well......for exactly that reason.  I got three quotes over the phone and none of them was less than $1500 for a basic heater of the same size.  

For $500ish I got a good water heater, installed it, and never looked back.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Good job OP. I assume you also installed the correct expansion tank, charged properly to your water pressure?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He should learn. 

It's nothing like welding. Ridiculously easy. 
View Quote
The way I learned to sweat pipes was practice in my garage and once I figured out the method, I did it for real.  Doing it without any pressure and being able to work at a perfect angle really allowed me to understand the process well enough to do it easily.

For me, the first time I sweated pipes....I was tired, in an awkward position, and frustrated.  I was super afraid to sweat pipes after that because I had such a bad time.  Then I practiced as I said above and it really changed my perspective on the process and allowed me to succeed efficiently on the project.

A few take aways, if I may.  Make sure you sand the pipes till they are shiny copper.  Apply flux.  The heat and flux will pull the solder where you want it to go.  Don't rush it, and focus on your application of solder more than the heat on the pipe.

The only time I'd consider shark bites now is if I was working in a space where I was very concerned that the heat source (torch) would pose a serious fire risk (tight spaces where it would be too easy to catch a wall/stud/whatever on fire)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Plumbers , mechanics, contractors, etc. make their living off ignorant people and lazy people who don't want to get their hands dirty.

I have a friend that was charged about $800.00 to replace an old bathroom sink fixture. The new fixture was like $150.00 and an hours labor.

I am glad that my Dad taught me so much and for what I have learned through the years.  Some people have to make a shit ton of money just to deal with everyday stuff.

Between fixing/repairing the families vehicles ( six of them ), fixing/replacing things around the house ( just fixed my sons clothes dryer and saved $300.00) , building my own shit, etc.  I save and save my family thousands a year.
View Quote
If the first part is the case do you think communities should band together and do massive Amish style building parties for new schools and courthouses and jails, etc?

Probably one of the most ignorant posts I've read on here and we have a lot of window lickers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Good on you OP.  There are a lot of scummy plumbers out there.  I work for a water district and give permits for repairs on laterals from time to time.  Lets just say that a lot of people get hosed to the tune of 3-4 times what my parents paid to have their water lateral fixed on Christmas day on normal days.  I don't know how the fuckers sleep at night.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The way I learned to sweat pipes was practice in my garage and once I figured out the method, I did it for real.  Doing it without any pressure and being able to work at a perfect angle really allowed me to understand the process well enough to do it easily.

For me, the first time I sweated pipes....I was tired, in an awkward position, and frustrated.  I was super afraid to sweat pipes after that because I had such a bad time.  Then I practiced as I said above and it really changed my perspective on the process and allowed me to succeed efficiently on the project.

A few take aways, if I may.  Make sure you sand the pipes till they are shiny copper.  Apply flux.  The heat and flux will pull the solder where you want it to go.  Don't rush it, and focus on your application of solder more than the heat on the pipe.
View Quote
That's pretty much it. 

Of course like many things prep is super important. The flux is also very very important, without it the solder won't go anywhere. Heat the pipe not the solder. 

Applying a bit of flux to the joint when it's still hot can clean it up, but it's optional. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Dipper, I was aiming my post at OP whom I assume is in the Austin like me.

City of Austin has gone full retard and you better prepare to hand over your money or face the code nazis when it comes to HVAC and plumbing.  You have to have an energy audit to sell your house now too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#26]
There is a green light on the last one we got.  I really don't know why people balk at DIYing it. The hardest part is emptying the tank if it's been in the house for a million years LOL.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If the first part is the case do you think communities should band together and do massive Amish style building parties for new schools and courthouses and jails, etc?

Probably one of the most ignorant posts I've read on here and we have a lot of window lickers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really Kolat, a lot of what Dipper said is truth.
There is nothing wrong with DIY and saving money.
Plumbers, mechanics, and electricians do live off the uneducated and unwilling.
Granted, there are some jobs that require a pro, but most jobs can be done by someone willing to try.
It ain't all rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I was gonna say, reacting to your title, I could get that done for $400, and it wouldn't take very long.

Good on you OP, for handling the situation
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I just bought a new basic 40 gallon one to replace our old one that is still ticking along but having issues for $329. I plumbed our house and installed the present water heater 13 years ago. I guess I can put this one in too.. The wife is only now starting to understand how much money I have saved us the last 24 years in home repairs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's an electric water heater. IN and out/done in an hour. I have replaced several.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was 16 or 17 we bought all the scratch n dent and returned water heaters from a local supply house that stored everything outside, not very carefully. I fixed tested repaired and sold and installed 350 water heaters. I used to get $50 to 75 bucks.  1977
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
i am also glad for knowledge handed down, except mine all came from my mom.  her dad was a WW2 vet and coal miner.  he taught her everything and she taught it to me, everything else i have learned through trial and error.  i refuse to pay people to fix stuff for me.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just cut the pipes and replace it with a braided stainless steel hose with threads on one end that connect to the water heater and a sharkbite fitting on the other end.  No soldering required, takes all of ten seconds to install.  Something like this, you'll need two of them.

View Quote
When I replaced my water heater I left the old one sitting in front of the garage for a days and came home from work and it was gone,nobody saw who took it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wife didn't want me lifting water heaters so she said call someone to do it. OK, I'll play.

Guy was going on about all the special options I can get on this miracle of technology, LED read out, remote WiFi access, A contraption on top that has something to do with water pressure, special stainless doomajiggies that replace my plain old not very high tech copper pipe. (You don't want your neighbors to think you use COPPER pipe do you?) leak alarms, and a couple of things I've forgotten. About the ONLY thing it did not do is give blow jobs.  

I just want a basic electric 55-gallon water heater. I do not need to see LED lights to know it's working, I can turn on the tap for that.  Are folks  really so anal that they need constant remote monitoring of their water heater?  I asked for the cheapest option.  He cheerfully played with his phone, $1710.

Home Depot has the same water heater (Rheem) for $429.  I thanked the very nice salesman, went and bought the thing then installed it myself.  I'll just TELL the wife the plumber did it. Not counting drive time and the time I spent screwing around in the garden section it took about an hour.

Altogether, if you give the guy $100 an hour for labor, and count in the very special pipe etc, he was going to make around 1K profit.
View Quote

Anything cool in the garden section?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Get a handyman instead of a plumber.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah well, maybe I have just had more experience than you have with some of these crooks. That's probably the case.

Lost a good friend who ran an auto repair shop because I saw him rip an elderly woman off for $400.00 and called him on it.

He never pulled her car in the bay and wrote up a list of shit he never replaced. Took the money with a smile while she thanked him profusely for taking care of her car.  She was on a fixed income and didn't have shit and he knew it.

Some years later an employee of his told me he did it all the time when he figured someone didn't know better.

I've seen all kinds of scams and BS through the years.  All kinds.

You can pay people like this hundreds of dollars an hour if you want. Sometimes you may even get a little something for your money.

Not sure who the ignorant one is.  I'll continue to bypass the scam artists if it's all right with you.

ETA: I mentioned fixing my son's clothes dryer last week. Repair men quoted him $350.00 to $380.00 to fix his dryer. Son ordered the parts off Amazon for $30.00 with free shipping . A new heating coil and sensor for $30.00. It took us an hour and a half start to finish to get it done while bullshiting and drinking beer.  Someone who has done it before probably could have done it in an hour.

Even at $100.00/hour the job should have been under $200.00.  Only tools needed were a screwdriver and pliers.  

You can spend your money as you wish.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  By .gov and wife logic, you just SAVED $1281.  New rifle?  Rifle plus ammo?  Give us all the details.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#37]
A year ago I spent ~2k replacing my hot water heater that uses heating oil...water heater itself was 1k probably.  Rest was paying for experience and expertise.

Going cheap probably isn't worth it unless you know exactly what you are doing OP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Years ago a friend called to ask for help replacing his water heater.  He and his wife (the real man of the house) started but then she had to go to work.

So I get there at 6p and he says we have to wait until 8P to start because he is watching his kid and her friend

So one trip to the store for parts, some soldering, gas flex pipe and we're done, at 1130p.

I opened the gas union to vent the air and he went into panic mode.  "MY HOUSE WILL BLOW UP!!!" kinda' panic.  I lol'd.

Plumber friend of mine worked for a short time for a shop that quoted crazy prices to replace water heaters.  Something like 3500.00 for a basic gas.  Friend said he had a hard time looking people in the eye when he quoted the replacements.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good job, now post pics of that new rifle you've earned once it has been acquired
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah well, maybe I have just had more experience than you have with some of these crooks. That's probably the case.

Lost a good friend who ran an auto repair shop because I saw him rip an elderly woman off for $400.00 and called him on it.

He never pulled her car in the bay and wrote up a list of shit he never replaced. Took the money with a smile while she thanked him profusely for taking care of her car.  She was on a fixed income and didn't have shit and he knew it.

Some years later an employee of his told me he did it all the time when he figured someone didn't know better.

I've seen all kinds of scams and BS through the years.  All kinds.

You can pay people like this hundreds of dollars an hour if you want. Sometimes you may even get a little something for your money.

Not sure who the ignorant one is.  I'll continue to bypass the scam artists if it's all right with you.

ETA: I mentioned fixing my son's clothes dryer last week. Repair men quoted him $350.00 to $380.00 to fix his dryer. Son ordered the parts off Amazon for $30.00 with free shipping . A new heating coil and sensor for $30.00. It took us an hour and a half start to finish to get it done while bullshiting and drinking beer.  Someone who has done it before probably could have done it in an hour.

Even at $100.00/hour the job should have been under $200.00.  Only tools needed were a screwdriver and pliers.  

You can spend your money as you wish.
View Quote
350.00 is not outrageous IMO.  One trip to diagnose the problem, order the parts, add markup to parts, another trip to install.  I have a two hour minimum (180.00) on 99% of my service calls.  Anything less is just not worth it.

Real close to home, elderly, military I will discount.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Water heaters are not a plumber's bread and butter.

They are the cake, with a side of ice cream, whipped cream, hot fudge sugar sauce and a fist full of cherries covered with gold leaf.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those sharkbite hoses are what I used when I replaced mine. Very easy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#43]
He must be the cousin of the HV/AC guy who wanted to sell me a $500 thermostat.  Lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Pro tip!

those braided stainless hoses will rot and leak. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pro tip!

those braided stainless hoses will rot and leak. 
View Quote
Holy jeeze! I better get them off my car then! I'll have no brakes!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#46]
lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#47]
That's a LOT for a simple replacement.

I'm having a 199k BTU on-demand gas water heater installed for $2100, and that includes a complete re-vamping of the exhaust/vents, brick work to reroute it all, connections, etc.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I would just bring my Pro Press machine home from work and us it. No sharkbite fittings needed if you can borrow a Pro Press machine. Not a plumber but I am not paying for something I can do if needed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#49]
You're lucky you don't live in Florida. We have to install hybrid water heaters here if the tank capacity is over 50 gallons. So for the smallest hybrid heater is $1300 my cost. Add in mark up and labor it would be around $2700. That doesn't include fittings and pipe, expansion tanks or a pan.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
The plumber driving to your house to replace a simple water heater has to weigh that against how much he could make taking a larger better paying job. His base expenses don't change, after all.

I had plumbers replace my last water heater. Cost me like $50 in labor (I had the heater and lines already) and they took the new one away. I already had them there for a much larger better paying job so the heater was just a tiny add on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top